Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
diamondsmum

Reviews on Taobao Lightings

I am starting my renovation and is wondering if lightings bought from Taobao is as good as those you bought from local?

I went to some lightings shop and they told me there are lots of problems with lights brought from TB (perhaps they want business so therefore they say all kind of stuff to deter customers from buying online)

I notice there's a great deal of savings if purchase online however I fear the quality etc.  

Please comment, also if possible please post the lightings you bought online and its link.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i also thought of buying lightning and electrical stuffs from TB.

but what is holding me back is , what if , touch many many wood, the electrical stuffs short circuit and catch fire. the whole house on fire, i dont think it will be covered under the house insurance right ? as there is no official safety sticker

2 hours ago, carbine90 said:

i also thought of buying lightning and electrical stuffs from TB.

but what is holding me back is , what if , touch many many wood, the electrical stuffs short circuit and catch fire. the whole house on fire, i dont think it will be covered under the house insurance right ? as there is no official safety sticker

if the whole house caught fire, still able to identify each electrical items and check for the safety sticker?

24 minutes ago, kokfann said:

if the whole house caught fire, still able to identify each electrical items and check for the safety sticker?

Don't underestimate how much the insurance companies would do to get out of paying you money?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kokfann said:

2 hours ago, ricepapergirl said:

Don't underestimate how much the insurance companies would do to get out of paying you money?

exactly. maybe they will ask you where you buy the stuffs from, and do you have any reciept or whatever to prove it. there are  many  many ways. 

money in ez, but for companies to money out, they will somehow find ways to make sure the money is really what you have been insured of.

My whole house lights from Taobao, 1 year so far no problem. The quality also depend on the product u buy & $ spent. Do read a lot of reviews before buying, same as any other online products. 

Same for me. All lights from Philips from TB. No issue, electrician also didn't point out anything, only tell me prepare to change with my aircons etc in 5+ years. 

Mine is 70% of my lights from taobao. Didn't encounter any issue except for a e27 filament bulb that didn't work. I ordered the lamp housing and was not expecting a bulb to be sent to me anyway so it was not an issue. 

You can see some pictures if you look at my tblog. You may even see the same thing sold in local stores, balestier etc... 

No safety sticker even if you buy them locally anyway. They need high volume of sales to be economically viable to run compliance testing I believe.

if you are really concerned about insurance then you would probably need to use very reputable brands like from Phillips lighting store. I have 4 LED downlights from them. Very very pricey (did not notice any sticker either) That 4 pieces plus a dimmer switch alone cost the amount I pay for lighting for the rest of the house.

Edited by Changbp

Mine too, all the lightings are purchased from taobao and 1 year on, did not encounter any issues with them. not even a single one broke down. 

if you are concern with the sticker, i would suggest you to get the lights locally however be prepared to pay at least 500% markup as compare to taobao.

According to SCDF statistics, household fires are mainly caused by rubbish or unattended cooking. there was also an overall decrease in fire incidents in 2015.

https://www.scdf.gov.sg/sites/www.scdf.gov.sg/files/Fire Incident Statistics Jan-Dec 2015.pdf

honestly speaking, do whatever is comfortable for you. We, as other homeowners, cannot tell you what to do, and it already sounds like you made up your mind. 

We can only share what we have experienced. I have a very reliable electrician and my uncle is also professionally trained in the area (I think electrical engineering? Idk what his title is called), so when they tell me it's okay, I trust them. Hopefully no fires in our houses :) 

Edited by bykaraanne

On 6/23/2016 at 10:47 PM, bykaraanne said:

According to SCDF statistics, household fires are mainly caused by rubbish or unattended cooking. there was also an overall decrease in fire incidents in 2015.

https://www.scdf.gov.sg/sites/www.scdf.gov.sg/files/Fire Incident Statistics Jan-Dec 2015.pdf

honestly speaking, do whatever is comfortable for you. We, as other homeowners, cannot tell you what to do, and it already sounds like you made up your mind. 

We can only share what we have experienced. I have a very reliable electrician and my uncle is also professionally trained in the area (I think electrical engineering? Idk what his title is called), so when they tell me it's okay, I trust them. Hopefully no fires in our houses :) 

Hi, I'm buying some lightings from TB and looking for a reliable/reasonably priced electrician.  Hope you could share your contact with me.  Thanks!

Hi, my LED lights are from 80% Taobao and 20% Ikea. Common brands are FSL, Opple, Panasonic & Philips. U can read more in my t-blog below link.

You'll save some money shopping from Taobao. But always read carefully reviews and ask questions to the seller within Tb app. :P

Why don't you ask the lighting shop where their goods are made in? Made in German light bulbs or Italy chandelier? Does the goods have the Singapore safety mark?

The honest answer is most of the goods are made in China with no Singapore safety mark. Even without the safety mark for goods made in China, you will be paying the vendors 300% to 400% marked up. Imagine how much are you willing to pay for the lights with the Singapore safety mark?

Ray,

You are right its all made in China.

Someone told me if the LED light strip is not working you can cut it out and put it in yourself.  Anyone know how??