Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
reaagen

After hacking kitchen wall, need to cement screed or can just plaster over hacking?

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum and just began my Reno. Hopefully someone is able to help me in the situation I'm facing.

actual plan is just to plaster over existing kitchen wall tiles. But realise that too many hollow tiles. ID recommend to hack the wall tiles, cement screed and then plaster the wall. And he mention that cement screed of walls will cost more than cement screed on flooring as it is more difficult.  (based on same square ft) 

My question is,

1)is it possible to just hack and plaster over straight without doing the cement screed? 

2) may I know if it is true that cement screed done on wall will be more expensive comparing with flooring ( based on same size) 

thanks all in advance. 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi reaagen,

to answer your question, i need to know how u define expensive, or rather, how ur id define it.  if he quote $10 psf, its definitely expensive lol.... so best is to know the psf costing first. by reading your post, i assume yours is an old resale flat? how does ur id check for hollow tiles?

2ndly, cement screeding also depends on the degree of hacking.. if they hack until really koyak, then cement screeding is a must. cos it is to smoothen the wall before plaster can be apply. plaster can't really be applied onto rough surface.

Hi kangeroo168,

thanks for the reply. My ID did not let us know the psf costing and he just gave us a lump sum. 

Yup, mine is a resale flat. He used some stick like thing to tap on the tiles. 

By the way, do we need to get them to scrape off old paints first before plastering? Or is it possible to plaster over existing paint. 

On 19/07/2016 at 11:17 AM, reaagen said:

By the way, do we need to get them to scrape off old paints first before plastering? Or is it possible to plaster over existing paint. 

I think scrape off the old paint is better, atleast thats what i did for mine

On 19 July 2016 at 11:17 AM, reaagen said:

Hi kangeroo168,

thanks for the reply. My ID did not let us know the psf costing and he just gave us a lump sum. 

Yup, mine is a resale flat. He used some stick like thing to tap on the tiles. 

Definitely get rid of the old paint