Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 10/20/2016 at 8:56 PM, Weilun Luo said:

Hi kingandbin,

Nice reno u have done up, can u please pm me the contacts for contractor E? Thanks!

Hi Weilun, thanks! Have PMed you his contact details (:

SINK + TOILET BOWL PURCHASE

Happy Saturday guys! There's a bit of lull in my reno progress as we are waiting for the carpentry to be fabricated. My contractor says typical lead time is 3 weeks and we currently have about 1.5 weeks' more of waiting to go!

Unlike others, our reno is inching bit by bit because the built in appliances for kitchen weren't on standby early. #banbandan #slowlywait. So folks, if you are impatient or in a hurry to move in, please please prepare everything in advance!! Or maybe start purchasing them once you start picking tiles for your home~

In the meantime (and cause I'm feeling bored today hehe) shall share abit about our purchase of the sink and toilet bowl/wc for our master bathroom!

Here goes:

As the husband is quite particular about the comfort of the wc, we decided to purchase the same model as the one currently being used in his parents' home. After matching the real deal with pictures found online, we concluded that it's the Treo One-Piece Toilet Bowl 280. Thankfully, this particular model is not expensive :jammin: 

Another option considered was the popular baron w888.

2015-02-13_n_e6a29b3a10beaf6c67b079fb35f

I really like how it looks (so round and cute!) + the rounded sides probably makes it easy to clean. But the price is about twice of the Treo's, and we were feeling abit lazy to hunt it down to give a butt-test so I gave it up.

We found the lowest price for the Treo wc online at https://biglobang.com/. However, instead of ordering from the site right away, we decided to pay a visit to their showroom at Toa Payoh to look see + check out their range of sinks. 

In the end, we bought the Treo One-Piece 280 for $188 (excl GST). As the distance between the piping on the ground to the toilet wall is fixed, It's a good idea to check with your contractor and the supplier if the dimensions for your preferred wc is suitable for your bathroom. Contractor E had already informed us of the distance of the pipe from the wall so we bought an offset connector for it.

280_large_66da2809-ba7a-403d-a6ae-a913fa

As for our bathroom vanity/sink, here's some backstory about it:
We were inspired by this bathroom found on Dayre - floating shelves with marble top. So pretty!! :wub: 

azure-Scb8bh2bofJiSTwwZl6h.jpg

E initially said that it's not possible have a floating vanity because the shelves won't be able to hold the weight of the sink. If a countertop sink is used (as with most bathroom vanities), strong brackets will have to be installed under the shelf. And even so, he can't guarantee that it'd be sturdy. Plus for BTO toilets it might not be possible to construct the floating shelves using cement. We were prepared to give up on it already :(

But a few days later, he came up with the idea to use a wall mount sink and just have the shelf attached underneath. YAY!!!!! We didn't pick a white glass top or marble-look top in the end, but the countertop will still be white so I'm looking forward to see how it turns out!

So yeah, we bought a rectangular wall-mount sink (Treo CB065) @ $65 excl GST.

29.jpg

This week, painting works are under way :paint:

We had a chance to check the progress during the night when a buyer came to pick up our hdb toilet bowl (Managed to sell it off within 1 day of posting on Carousell! Mega thanks @karagiselle for sharing how you did it!!). Will drop by again later to see how the colours look in proper day light. Update again soon! :)

Edited by kingandbin

i do love it when the ID can offer workable solutions around what you want vs. just doing what they want!

Edited by gumbokins

On 10/22/2016 at 11:57 AM, buzzer said:

hi kingandbin, would you pm me E contact, appreciate ur help

Hey there, have PMed you.

On 10/22/2016 at 2:51 PM, gumbokins said:

i do love it when the ID can offer workable solutions around what you want vs. just doing what they want!

Yup! That, instead of rejecting the idea completely or simply claiming that it isn't feasible :thumbsup:  It does feel good to work with others who are flexible and able to think out of the box.

PAINT COLOURS UPDATE

Wanted to keep our place light and airy, so we picked white for most walls, ceilings and door frame. The living room wall which will have our tv console is painted a very light grey (Nippon's Ash Grey). The grey is so light that one probably won't realize that it's not white until you compare the wall with the ceiling. Haha. This is only one layer of paint so maybe the colour will look a tad more obvious when done.

IMG_20161022_143412-01_zpssdj1wnyt.jpeg

Ash Grey for our main MBR wall too.

IMG_20161022_143200-01_zpsqy66vjk2.jpeg

Grey Knight for the indent in our study room. Really like how the colour turned out! A nice grey-toned blue.

IMG_20161022_143047-01_zps675mtwkq.jpeg

And here's the 2D for our MBR toilet carpentry.

IMG_20161022_143256-01_zpsjiplwdsa.jpeg

12 hours ago, slashmylove said:

The vanity area does look nice! We took the HDB sinks and decided to just live with it haha! My toilets are so bare!!

Thanks! Hope that it turns out well! Can't wait for everything to do complete so we can start on the soft furnishings. The wait is nothing short of torturous :bleah:

The master bathroom vanity is a last minute add on! We wanted to keep the hdb sinks but my contractor asked if we wanted to adjust the mbr sink higher since it had to be removed for overlaying of floor. 

But it isn't possible to adjust the height for pedestal sinks and we didn't like how the sink looked without the pedestal piece. So we bit the bullet and decided to spruce up this spot! 

Don't worry, I'm sure your bathroom looks great too. The hdb sinks are pretty decent looking! No vanity means less upkeep needed haha. Can still prettify the toilet with good looking accessories! 

Your house is looking good. 

I changed my MBR sink at the last min too. As we did not overlay the MBR toilet wall, so we just proceed to change the basin. Hope the change is worth the money. 

On 10/28/2016 at 6:26 PM, Sendo999 said:

Your house is looking good. 

I changed my MBR sink at the last min too. As we did not overlay the MBR toilet wall, so we just proceed to change the basin. Hope the change is worth the money. 

Thanks! Now still super bare and we're just waiting for carpentry to come in before they can wash the place and do the subsequent layers of painting. According to my contractor's timeline, that's still another 3 weeks to go. Patience is key :sport-smiley-018:  Your place was done up in a jiffy! Envious!

Saw that your bathroom vanity is up already! I'm sure the new basin will look nice resting on it (:

On 10/28/2016 at 10:04 PM, bykaraanne said:

What dayre is that? Those wall tiles are to die for. I wanted those but didn't spend more time in the tile stores... 

Search for themerrymaker on dayre! She has quite a few posts regarding her home and I really really love how cozy it is. Can start with these:

https://dayre.me/themerrymaker/Y5mJ2UhE4p
https://dayre.me/themerrymaker/JHM5jVy7aw

Yes so gorgeous! But we didn't spot those when tile shopping too. The marble-look tiles that we did see were quite costly. Marble (inspired) stuff is not cheap! 

Edited by kingandbin

Quick quick update: Carpentry for kitchen and mbr bathroom is in! 

Sharing a pic of the kitchen's current state :wub:. Will be back very soon for a more in-dept update! 

IMG_20161108_110908-01-01_zpspu8z5z65.jp

• Like 2

CARPENTRY

I was overseas on a beach holiday when Contractor E sent some pics of our master bathroom carpentry. The hubs who was in sg, trooped over to our place after work that very day and sent me updates of the kitchen. Couldn't wait for the trip to end (strangely amazing feeling actually - having something to look forward to after a holiday :sport-smiley-004: ) so I could see everything in person! Went down today morning armed with a camera and much excitement~

Here's what our kitchen looks like now, pending sink/tap/hob/countertop:

SAM_4683-01_zpsbxsitokh.jpeg

With condiment rack and pull out drawers on the left and right of the oven respectively. It turns out the condiment rack we bought was supposed to be attached to a cabinet drawer front to be pulled out as it only is reinforced at the back and not in front. But our contractor and carpenter managed to work something out for us so that it fits nicely in the cabinet :good:

IMG-20161104-WA0034-01-01_zpslgqxzhl6.jp

Dry side of kitchen with IKEA top. The topmost drawer is customized to fit an IKEA cutlery tray.

SAM_4684-01_zpsogioigsb.jpeg

Our TB ventilation fans are installed on new casement windows for both toilets!

SAM_4698-01_zpsdiibc0h8.jpeg

MBR Bathroom mirror cabinet + floating vanity. The laminates for both are the same but the lighting makes them look dissimilar :huh:

SAM_4712-01_zpspv1c4krf.jpeg

Bonus photo of the MBR's current bare state. Stuff on the ground are lights waiting to be fixed this Friday.

SAM_4714-01_zpsvafijltv.jpeg

Didn't have the time to scrutinize the carpentry for defects as we could only drop by for half an hour this morning. Will be spending more time in the daylight at the end of this week to check the work more carefully.

Also looking forward to the installation of lights as the house is rather dim in some spots in natural light. This includes the kitchen, which has no direct sunlight despite our unit being on a mid-high level, since our service yard overlooks the inner part of our block. Hopefully having more lights means the space can look cheery even in the day! This also why we opted for an all-white kitchen :P

Edited by kingandbin

very very nice!!! keep the pictures coming! i like how you chose wooden-looking tiles for your bathroom..makes me wish i should have gone for that. :wub:

i also saw themerrymaker's home and i loved her entire home! i like checking out #dayrehomes whenever i'm free too haha.