Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Kingandbin,

Had a fun time reading all the posts and conversation in here. Do you mind sharing with me all the contacts of your 4 contractor plus the quote? Based on response here, I guess E and J&E might be quite busy for forseable future, so better keep some backup :-p.

Thank you!

IT'S BEEN AWHILE

Howdy folks! Sorry for disappearing these few months. We were busy with wedding prep which took place in April (yay!) and Bin was adjusting to a new job after that.

We're still in touch with Contractor E. He's been so swamped by requests for quotations (must be all the positive word of mouth from renotalk lah) that he isn't taking on new projects for the time being. Unless it's a recommendation from a personal friend/relative of existing clients. So he might not be free to meet up for quotations for now :/

That's one thing we like about him also, he knows not too overwhelm himself with too many projects at one time. This means he'll be able to concentrate on the projects at hand instead of stretching himself thin.

He also requested not to be described as being so "cheap". Okay lah, tbh his prices for masonry works and carpentry are on the lower side but some aspects such as electrical works, plumbing, etc are on par with market price or a slight bit more expensive than what some others may quote. Overall still very reasonable though.

In terms of workmanship, we are pretty pleased with how everything has been holding up. Noticed some gaps in the grouting previously and he arranged for his guys to head down and patch them up, and he taught us how to patch it up ourselves too if need be. Carpentry finishing is not amazing (then again, his pfr prices are the lowest I've seen) but acceptable. 

If anyone is still interested to have his contact, lemme know and we'll be happy to send it to you!

Previously we've sent components of his quote (without the prices) to those who have requested for it but please note that we won't be sharing it anymore. 

Will update this space when we get the final figure for my entire renovation. In the meantime, we will still pop by once in a while to answer any questions and post lived-in photos! (yay, don't we all love photos? :D)

Edited by kingandbin

KITCHEN (LIVED IN)

Looking back at the post of when our kitchen was just done, the space does feel pretty different. We use our kitchen daily and here's how it looks like on a regular day.

View from entrance:

2017-05-14%2005.03.44%201_zpseisqhix2.jp

2017-05-15%2009.00.06%201_zpsyffctawd.jp

2017-05-14%2011.06.08%203_zpsn9axvxgw.jp

View from other side:

2017-05-14%2005.00.46%201_zps4sopctpf.jp

2017-05-14%2005.06.31%201_zpshhy5hj5f.jp

View from service yard:

2017-05-15%2005.57.16%201_zpskuxd802u.jp

2017-05-14%2005.00.45%201_zpsbtica4bt.jp

No regrets on the laminates nor material choices so far, electronics all work well, electrical provisions are sufficient and we're still very much in love with the functionality of this area.

BONUS PICS

Peek of the living room

2017-05-30%2002.00.55%201_zps5iyvotup.jp

When we had our wedding standees out the other day

2017-05-25%2004.54.48%201_zps5zhgpypr.jp

7 hours ago, kingandbin said:

IT'S BEEN AWHILE

Howdy folks! Sorry for disappearing these few months. We were busy with wedding prep which took place in April (yay!) and Bin was adjusting to a new job after that.

We're still in touch with Contractor E. He's been so swamped by requests for quotations (must be all the positive word of mouth from renotalk lah) that he isn't taking on new projects for the time being. Unless it's a recommendation from a personal friend/relative of existing clients. So he might not be free to meet up for quotations for now :/

That's one thing we like about him also, he knows not too overwhelm himself with too many projects at one time. This means he'll be able to concentrate on the projects at hand instead of stretching himself thin.

He also requested not to be described as being so "cheap". Okay lah, tbh his prices for masonry works and carpentry are on the lower side but some aspects such as electrical works, plumbing, etc are on par with market price or a slight bit more expensive than what some others may quote. Overall still very reasonable though.

In terms of workmanship, we are pretty pleased with how everything has been holding up. Noticed some gaps in the grouting previously and he arranged for his guys to head down and patch them up, and he taught us how to patch it up ourselves too if need be. Carpentry finishing is not amazing (then again, his pfr prices are the lowest I've seen) but acceptable. 

If anyone is still interested to have his contact, lemme know and we'll be happy to send it to you!

Previously we've sent components of his quote (without the prices) to those who have requested for it but we won't be sending that anymore. 

Will update this space when we get the final figure for my entire renovation. In the meantime, we will still pop by once in a while to answer any questions and post lived-in photos! (yay, don't we all love photos? :D)

Hi Kingandbin,

Can you share your contractor E contact details?

Thank you!  =)

Hi Kingandbin

Is that a "Monic" top mount kitchen sink (i.e. made in korea) that you undermounted?  If not, what brand?  Any comments on the sink?  Does it leave water marks or make "pop" sound if you pour hot water into the sink?  Heard that the thickness is like 1mm only.  Thanks!    

On 6/1/2017 at 4:41 PM, Totoro0268 said:

Hi Kingandbin

Is that a "Monic" top mount kitchen sink (i.e. made in korea) that you undermounted?  If not, what brand?  Any comments on the sink?  Does it leave water marks or make "pop" sound if you pour hot water into the sink?  Heard that the thickness is like 1mm only.  Thanks!   

Hello! Yup it's a Monic K-740 sink. I think it can be either mounted on top or under the countertop. 

Love the sink for its size and for the large strainer. Very easy to clean!

Watermarks yes but I think it's also got to do with maintenance. I don't use stainless steel cleaning products, only a magic sponge once in a while so it does get slight watermarks if we don't wipe it up after use. Can be easily cleaned up after.  Imo the micro scratches on the sink are slightly obvious when the light is on, but it might be due to our very bright undercabinet light which does a fabulous job in illuminating everything (including flaws haha). 

When pouring hot liquids down the sink, I usually will run some water from the tap at the same time to ensure it isn't too warm. Never heard it make any popping sounds before though! 

Hi Kingandbin

I too love the sink for its size & large stainer.  Thinking of installing it for my kitchen.  Thanks for the detailed review on the sink! :)

HI Kingandbin

Just curious, you mentioned in terms of workmanship, you are pretty pleased with how everything has been holding up but the carpentry finishing is not amazing but acceptable.  Any photos to show as carpentry will take up a major part in renovation (can be more specific which area finishing)?  I am very particular with workmanship (alignment of the cabinet doors or drawers).  Was thinking of contractor E to do the reno. Thanks a lot!  

Dear kingandbin,

Thank you for your reno blog thread, it was definitely very helpful for us who are starting on our reno journey. Like you, we have rough ideas of what we want and are intending to go for a contractor straight. In this regard, could we please get the contacts of the 4 contractors you contacted? Our email is swxy.wedding@gmail.com.

Thank you so much!

Hey, sent you all a PM ;)  @vampire95 @wangrong19891103 @BillAdrien

On 6/6/2017 at 2:39 PM, Totoro0268 said:

HI Kingandbin

Just curious, you mentioned in terms of workmanship, you are pretty pleased with how everything has been holding up but the carpentry finishing is not amazing but acceptable.  Any photos to show as carpentry will take up a major part in renovation (can be more specific which area finishing)?  I am very particular with workmanship (alignment of the cabinet doors or drawers).  Was thinking of contractor E to do the reno. Thanks a lot!  

Hmm.. somehow I feel that the internal white laminates are rather thin and imperfections of the wood such as scratches or bumps are quite obvious. Not sure if this is usually the case for carpentry stuff but my husband thinks that I'm nitpicking regarding this. Haha. Also that the edges are not nice and white like the laminates we used, but the dark joint lines can be seen. This seems to be a norm in the industry though. I'll try and see if I'm able to get any photos of these stuff for you.

But with regards to alignment of cabinet doors/drawers though, they turned out perfect imo :good: The handles were placed nice and aligned properly too. When comparing my kitchen carpentry with my friends' newly done up place, I realized that mine is actually pretty good. Haha.