Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tiffanytlh

False Ceiling or Plasterboard?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to renovate my home based on the Scandinavian Minimalist theme. As my home is a resale unit of 27 years, there are several concerns especially where electrical wiring and ceiling comes into place.

I have been meeting a couple of IDs & Contractors and have received various opinions regarding my ceiling.

False Ceiling

• Quoted too expensive by the ID
  • My ceiling is not very high, so it may cause my house to look very cramped

Plasterboard

• This was suggested by a Contractor as it is more cost effective
  • However, in order to cover my wires, i have to use cornices and he will place a plasterboard over the entire ceiling area and paint it over.
    (Quite bummed to have cornices and I'm hoping the simple designs will not be so obvious in my home!:( I also pray it doesn't look weird with track lightings...)

Cornice Flat 2.jpeg

Can anyone enlighten me on the pros and cons of Plasterboard ceiling? Thank you!

Edited by tiffanytlh

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 01/08/2016 at 10:44 AM, tiffanytlh said:

Quoted too expensive by the ID

What was the price your ID quoted if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Arfan said:

What was the price your ID quoted if you don't mind me asking?

@Arfan The original quote for my Living/Dining area was $2,200 (revised quote: $1,850), and Master Bedroom $700 (revised quote: $600) 

How does "Place plasterboard over the entire ceiling area" work (if it is not false ceiling)? Glue the plasterboard to the ceiling? And that is mainly to cover the wiring or cover the ceiling cracks? How big is your house, a small house may still be ok, but big house will definitely be higher cost to cover the entire ceiling. What is the cost difference with false ceiling, understand you are not considering that due to low ceiling height. What is your ceiling height anyway?

If your lighting wiring is not too long, you can get contractor to hack part of the ceiling and place trunking in it. Of course, there is hacking cost as well, so it depends if you are running long wire to the light or not. If short distance, hack the ceiling may be more cost effective. By hacking, I do not meant to tear the entire ceiling, just hack a track that is few cm deep and wide, good enough to hide the smallest trunking required for your wiring.

Why not use L-box instead or Scandinavian Minimalist theme don't do L-box, (not familar with the theme)? For myself, I would think L-box is more practical as it can hide wire and can install downlights.