Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tyler

Capentery Material

your ID use solid timber? very rare nowadays

i tried asking around but no one does carpentry with timber

the only material available is solid ply.

maybe you want to confirm with your ID as to the actual type of material

don't let them 'ketok' you

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

then it will depend a lot on what is the carpentry works for

btw, an ID just told me yesterday that doors are NOT made of solid ply coz the hinges cannot support. only the shelves are solid ply, the rest are just normal ply

external also makes a difference in pricing

veneer is more expensive than laminate

get your ID to write down the specs of the material

then just ask around for the exact same material, how much others charge.

btw, an ID just told me yesterday that doors are NOT made of solid ply coz the hinges cannot support. only the shelves are solid ply, the rest are just normal ply

Actually, what do you mean by solid ply and normal ply? Sounds like reno-speak to me... As far as I know... ply is simply solid(meaning cut directly from original wood) wood veneers stacked up and glued down together. Solid wood is simply pure wood shaped into the way you want it and not fabricated.

i'm also not expert in this area

the info i gleaned from going round and round is that solid plywood is just thicker than normal plywood. ply is good enough for shoe cabinet, display cabinet where there's no heavy weight items. solid ply is good for shelving for book shelves, kitchen cabinet shelves etc...

my ID say its solid timber plywood....Jargons....

timber is timber... plywood is plywood... where got such thing as solid timber plywood?

timber is a solid piece of wood, such that when you do a cross section of the wood, all you see is one solid piece... sort of like you cut is straight down from the three

plywood is a structural material made of layers of wood glued together, usually with the grains of adjoining layers at right angles to each other. In other words... a material made up of thin layers of wood glued together. so where to find SOLID plywood?

more like plywood with veneer finish to look like timber is it?

the costing for both is totally different leh

Plywood is layers of veneer glued together, comes in 3mm thick to ard 1 inch thick.

Last time, cabinet carcass was made from hollow plywood, which is like they way gypsum board partiton wall is assembled. There is an internal frame that is sandwiched between 2 thin layers of plywood. This type got some problems becuase if put screws through, the thin plywood would just split.

Then came the solid wood carcass, which simply means.. the carcass is made from 1 inch thick plywood throughout, no internal frame. Screw definately stay.

Plywood is layers of veneer glued together, comes in 3mm thick to ard 1 inch thick.

Last time, cabinet carcass was made from hollow plywood, which is like they way gypsum board partiton wall is assembled. There is an internal frame that is sandwiched between 2 thin layers of plywood. This type got some problems becuase if put screws through, the thin plywood would just split.

Then came the solid wood carcass, which simply means.. the carcass is made from 1 inch thick plywood throughout, no internal frame. Screw definately stay.

what you are refering to is solid plywood... which is a thicker plywood of about 1 inch thick and solid inside... no hollow portion throughout the wood

what tyler is refering to is, his ID/contractor is giving him SOLID TIMBER PLYWOOD... there is no such thing on the market... correct me if i am wrong :dancingqueen:

Hey guys ,whate are the common material used for capentery work?

:) my ID used timber and it cost quite x , just wondering is there any alternative to used beside timber material?

Thank you very much ! :)

try using laminates lor..got nice selection with timber looks

so, tyler, what was the decision on your carpentry?

did you manage to find out from your contractor/ID what is the SOLID TIMBER PLYWOOD?

SOLID TIMBER PLYWOOD is solid plywood lor...

just sound nice say timer only lor...

someone told me before... Timber Wood is Timber Wood...

there is not sure thing as Timer Plywood...

therefore plywood is plywood lor... hehehe...

and there is not sure thing as solid plywood...

it just make us feel happy with a solid on it only lor...

so how to ensure carpentry that is used are using the correct material?

I have them doing my feature wall for LCDTV, kichen cabinet and MBR wardrobe. Thanks.

so how to ensure carpentry that is used are using the correct material?

I have them doing my feature wall for LCDTV, kichen cabinet and MBR wardrobe. Thanks.

easy... when they are setting up the carpentry, before the laminates goes on, look at the cross-section of the wood used.

If it is hollow, you will know. Knocking on the finished product will also be a clear indicator of whether the material used for your carpentry is hollow or not.

Allow me to correct your ID's Comment. Door can be constructed with solid ply but much dependence on the method the engage to join the pieces. Ask you ID what are classic door made from; for your info it is MDF which is a kind of man made ply mixing saw dust with adhesive to form panel. If MDF can use to construct Door, Ply wood can do more.

I agree that the external work for all carpentry work will cost the most in all carpentry work. Veneer may not be the more costly than laminate. Cost of laminate sheet is between $20 per sheet to $300, but generally most carpenter will use laminate which cost around $50 to $60. Whereas, veneer ply is betwen $17 to $500.00. Nyatoh is the cheapest and commonly used by carpentry esp for staining to walnut clear for used in zen design. Other common veneer used are cherry, teak, ashwood, maple etc. The most expensive are bird's eye which the gain resemble many bird's eyes and it reflect lights when dark, a very rare veneer. The work itself require to coat with commonly lacquer, but can be vanish or a more expensive coating is PU. However, there were not many skill carpentry painter in the market nowadays esp the good one, hence most carpenter and ID will tell customer it is more expensive so as to swing the customer to use laminate instead. Just for good comparison, laminate finishes is like laminate flooring and veneer is like parquet and it is a natural product which give a warm and natural feeling.

Edited by bullet