Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zirhk3355

All Tanglin Halt Road Neighbours! Report In Here!

That's what he implied that since we want the details, he will not be as flexible. So it seems anything out of it, he might charge or refuse to change. !!

Those details I want were agreed verbally, I'm afraid he will say yes yes...then conveniently forget when the time comes since nothing was written down! Eg. system door in red, I wanted a deep red. In the limited color sample range, there was only one shade of faded red, not what I want. He say he'll show us sample of the color we want. I'm afraid after I sign with him, then he say don't have that shade. Then I'll be stuck with using that faded red color or forced to select from his limited brochure range!

Also for kitchen frosted glass panels, he told us he'll be giving us 2. Then we want the pneumatic lift up kind. He said actually he's only giving the normal swing door kind, not pneumatic. But then he said ok, he can include...all these only say verbally. Bu it was not written down in contract. Then I'm afraid when the time comes, he'll forget he told us ok, then say if we want pneumatic doors, have to pay more!

Etc. Etc. These are the kind of scenarios I anticipate and hate to face!

Frankly, it is quite difficult to put down everything in black and white. There are so many things that needs to be decided like materials, size, colour, etc, which I am sure won't be decided yet when you sign the contract. Sometimes, you need to work on certain level of trust.

Even my quotations were quite broadly written down, although I did insist on some details for certain items. It is really up to your comfort level with your ID/contractor. For me, my ID has been quite flexible and accomodating.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

its not illegal to paint the door. mine was sent to the carpenter to spray paint it cos its impossible to get even colour hand paint. they need to sand it smooth before spray paint it. btw, wooden main door and gate is under town council not hdb.

impossible is everything to the contracors.

everything that they never do before is NO. NO. they just wanna get money fast and do chop chop job. the only alternative against them is to hold and delay payment. i would say majority of the contractors are lidat. so must be very detailed in contract and monitor and !! everyday. !!

Predaking, did you get your ID/contracter to write in detail too? Did the person do it willingly without showing an unhappy face?

We're kinda used to him already, in fact he was the first one we saw. It wasn't through any recommendation, we're walk-in customers. Which makes me even more careful since there're no prior feedback. We wanted to use his services since overall his quotation is reasonable and he is quite a patient man so far.

He told us we're the first customer he has met that is like this. While going through my requirements, he seems to be forcing himself to be interested, when I can sense he's losing interest in our small project. Afterall, we're only letting him do $13K, as we're getting our own marble and parquet supply, and only need him to provide laying marble service, kitchen cabinets, and other carpentry services. He told us ours is just a small project. Makes me feel we're just small time customers who have BIG requirements. :jawdrop:

My ID was very flexible. In fact before i signed anything with him, I already told him that I want to have the flexibilty for changes. So, my final quotation may be very different from my 1st quotation. N I did told him that changes incl deduction as well so there might be a possibility that final quotation is lesser than my initial quotation. He said that is fine n to my surprise, he is very responsible as well. Everytime we had some additions or deductions, he will prepare a brand new quotation for us. It might seems that he trying to make it less messy but that is to protect his own backside as well. Overall, quite satisfied. I think we had ard 5-6 different quotations from him due to our numerous changes. Maybe also he knows both me n my wife works in bank thus very caculative n everything must be in black n white. Haha.

But your contractor also abit ridiculous. If some contractor actually says my reno is only a small project irregardless of how much it is, I will F him off.

its not illegal to paint the door. mine was sent to the carpenter to spray paint it cos its impossible to get even colour hand paint. they need to sand it smooth before spray paint it. btw, wooden main door and gate is under town council not hdb.

everything that they never do before is NO. NO. they just wanna get money fast and do chop chop job. the only alternative against them is to hold and delay payment. i would say majority of the contractors are lidat. so must be very detailed in contract and monitor and 8| everyday. ;)

Can share the contacts n the pricing as well? If inconvenient, PM me?

Also can post pics or maybe I drop by your place?

Gee! I don't think I'm too much. But dunno why he say until like we're the FIRST customer he's met that's like this. (meaning everything must be so clear and in black and white)

Anyway, I think I don't have much of a choice, if I still want to hold back and delay, my hubby will blow his top! So most likely I'm still settling with him, hopefully it can still work out. I'm supposed to send him my fax/email of the amended contract for him to follow. Gonna send soon...

Hey Sushi,

Do mind telling me how much you pay for it to spray paint? I really wld like to do that.

everything that they never do before is NO. NO. they just wanna get money fast and do chop chop job. the only alternative against them is to hold and delay payment. i would say majority of the contractors are lidat. so must be very detailed in contract and monitor and :furious: everyday. :D

hi

think its should be in range of $400 - $500. didnt really ask cos it was bundle inside the carpentry. sure, if you guys wanna pop by just come over to block 89, #31-346 anytime. if i'm not at home olso can cos the door will always be outside :furious:

remember to ask them to sand it before spary paint.

of course there are good contractors around but its almost like striking toto to strike a good one. end of day, make it know that you are the home owner and paymaster. didnt do good job no money. i even went all the way to JB to find my carpenter. which gave me mush better attitude and materials than all those so call "old bird" hehe. :D

Shall I include expected date of completion in the contract? What "penalty" should I include for not completing work on time? Eg. If I want him to put down "Expected Date Of Completion: 15 Dec 2007". If not completed, then what?

Shall I include expected date of completion in the contract? What "penalty" should I include for not completing work on time? Eg. If I want him to put down "Expected Date Of Completion: 15 Dec 2007". If not completed, then what?

You can add in a clause, Liquidated Damages (LD). This can be calculated by per day to per week... As for the amount, it varies... EG: if after 15 Dec, they cannot handover to you, you can claim them S$1000/- per day... this should justifies you claiming them money used to find alternate accomodation, transport, and inconvenience caused... etc...

This is common in commercial projects tendered by main contractors...

But then again, you must make sure that your design is perfect and confirm no slightest changes... Cos once a single small change is made, the contractor can claim that the contract is no longer as per agreed and hence delay is unavoidable...

You can add in a clause, Liquidated Damages (LD). This can be calculated by per day to per week... As for the amount, it varies... EG: if after 15 Dec, they cannot handover to you, you can claim them S$1000/- per day... this should justifies you claiming them money used to find alternate accomodation, transport, and inconvenience caused... etc...

This is common in commercial projects tendered by main contractors...

But then again, you must make sure that your design is perfect and confirm no slightest changes... Cos once a single small change is made, the contractor can claim that the contract is no longer as per agreed and hence delay is unavoidable...

true. make sure everything is confirm and no major change, cos there sure bound to be some changes and hiccup regardless of how well things goes.

however, there are 10000111 excuses they can still cook up to delay the handover.

Aiyoh, then like that might as well not put, work with "trust" lor. Haiya, no choice. I don't wanna fight with husband over a stupid contracter! Cos I think bound to have some changes here and there, and I can imagine, if I go up to contracter today and say, "I wanna add in this clause....", his face colour will change! Since my husband wants to work with him so much, then I gotta make sure it'll work out with this man.

At the most make him agree to hand over at certain date, but no penalty involved? Let me see how trustworthy he is. Anyway even if 15 Dec, I can't get house, I still have a roof over my head. :dribble:

JS21, aiyo why you do reno until so stressed up?? Don't worry, like sakae sushi says, rule of thumb is, "no work done, no payment"!

Frankly the terms that you wanted to put in are abit too detailed, which I also never do it (you can go ask my ID how niao I am). But its not a bad thing, but just that there is an easier way to do it.

You can put a clause like "all materials, colours and measurements are subjected to selection and confirmation as signed by Client at no further cost unless otherwise stated herein". Voila, all the colours, materials, etc no need to state inside liao! Whenever he buys a material or custom-made a carpentry area, he got to give you a drawing or make a small note for you to sign in confirmation. Otherwise, no money!

However, a point to note is that there are always stuff that last min need to change, like on-site situation that we will never be able to forecast. So in that sense we need to also remain abit flexible here lor...

Aiyoh, then like that might as well not put, work with "trust" lor. Haiya, no choice. I don't wanna fight with husband over a stupid contracter! Cos I think bound to have some changes here and there, and I can imagine, if I go up to contracter today and say, "I wanna add in this clause....", his face colour will change! Since my husband wants to work with him so much, then I gotta make sure it'll work out with this man.

At the most make him agree to hand over at certain date, but no penalty involved? Let me see how trustworthy he is. Anyway even if 15 Dec, I can't get house, I still have a roof over my head. :dribble:

Regarding handover date, you already have a very strong point to make him handover on time: 30% payment upon handover! This is quite high, cuz most of us are only 10%, if not some are only 5%.

So dun worry about handing over, he will be more anxious than you when comes to the time!

Hey Sushi,

Do mind telling me how much you pay for it to spray paint? I really wld like to do that.

Let me know if u r going to do it, then we can probably negotiate for a better pricing when we do more at the same time. :(

Edited by predaking

Let me know if u r going to do it, then we can probably negotiate for a better pricing when we do more at the same time. :(

if you want to spary paint the door need to get it done before any expensive or fixture is up. cos they need to dismantle the whole door and cart it back to factory to do... perhaps someone can get it done on the spot but mine was otherwise.

if you want to spary paint the door need to get it done before any expensive or fixture is up. cos they need to dismantle the whole door and cart it back to factory to do... perhaps someone can get it done on the spot but mine was otherwise.

Thanks for the advice. I am only intending to do it for the 3 rooms if the price is reasonable. As for the main door, I can leave it as it is. U can PM me your carpenter's contact?

Hi zirhk3355, haha paiseh, I must be super duper niao kana then. Haha. But since he already agree, don't care, put all those in. :jawdrop: Yeah, think must add that clause you stated..more reassuring even! :)

Sigh! Can't blame me for being stress, I'm not really enjoying the reno process, having to deal with hubby's bad temper and lack of patience and personal attacks instead of comforting reassuring words.. Today went to look at my marble dry lay, also not very satisfied, but just diam diam.. pretend I'm ok with it. Maybe I should stop being so fussy, life will be easier...

Choosing the materials to use and hoping it will match with the rest is really a chore! So stress that I'm so fussy yet it looks horrible for the end results. that fear eats me up.