Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Homers

Storage Heater Lifespan

31 minutes ago, Pelect said:

Personally, I would never bypass something without understanding what are its functions.

A storage heater has several safety features, protecting against over temperature, a tank with no water coming in, excessive pressure and safety cutouts. 

Personally, I would put safety above all else.

What is the brand of this heater and are you able to contact the manufacturer or dealer?

By the way, please do not touch anything inside the upper box. It seems there are many live wires inside on the left half. 

I would be very interested to see a clear wiring diagram on the inside cover of the top box. I am really curious what this is.

the brand of heater is AO Smith.  I called them a few days ago and they suggested that as the heater is more than 10 years old, I should replace it. However, it is not leaking and is working well. Only thing is the heater switch is the doorbell type switch - you know, the tiny button comes back up after you press and there is a small light to indicate it is on. I asked AO Smith but they said they do not do heater switches. However, this light spoilt a year ago and we have on many occasions left the heater on for a day or so...Tried to get a replacement switch and scoured the hardware shops but was told this type of switch not in the market anymore. True?

Soon after the tripping incident, I encounter a mysterious case of the ceiling LED chandelier that lights up by itself. Any clue if this may be related to the electrical wiring?

Although we are able to bathe with hot water for the time being, but we are very uneasy and are considering getting a licensed electrician to check the apartment's wiring and advise if re-wiring is necessary. Worried about short circuit and all of us perish in night time fire!!!

Edited by Sunny88

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
6 hours ago, Sunny88 said:

it is not leaking and is working well

but something is tripping the power. so still cannot conclude it is working well. The failure of heaters may not be sudden. Initially, there may be random trips at long intervals. These intervals get shorter and then after the heater is turned on for say 5-20 minutes, it will trip the power. And finally, the minute the heater is on, it will trip the power. In some cases, the failure is instantaneous. The minute you turn it on, it will trip. So, it depends on the symptoms. Power tripping when heater is on is usually due to heating element, not always but very often. There are various ways to verify this and unless some tests are done, it cannot be concluded whether it is a heater issue, wiring issue or some other issue.

As for heater switch, there are many options and brands available in the market. It may not be exactly the same as what you have but it should work. If you post the wiring diagram, it may help shed some light.

By the way, if you re-wire the whole house and the heater is still not working, you still need to buy a new heater. If it is a heater issue, you will save thousands of dollars re-wiring the house.

The LED light coming on by itself has been discussed in this forum and many other forums. The common issues are incompatible dimmer switch, switches with light indicators and very close wires due to 2 way switches or placement.

Edited by Pelect

18 hours ago, Pelect said:

but something is tripping the power. so still cannot conclude it is working well. The failure of heaters may not be sudden. Initially, there may be random trips at long intervals. These intervals get shorter and then after the heater is turned on for say 5-20 minutes, it will trip the power. And finally, the minute the heater is on, it will trip the power. In some cases, the failure is instantaneous. The minute you turn it on, it will trip. So, it depends on the symptoms. Power tripping when heater is on is usually due to heating element, not always but very often. There are various ways to verify this and unless some tests are done, it cannot be concluded whether it is a heater issue, wiring issue or some other issue.

As for heater switch, there are many options and brands available in the market. It may not be exactly the same as what you have but it should work. If you post the wiring diagram, it may help shed some light.

By the way, if you re-wire the whole house and the heater is still not working, you still need to buy a new heater. If it is a heater issue, you will save thousands of dollars re-wiring the house.

The LED light coming on by itself has been discussed in this forum and many other forums. The common issues are incompatible dimmer switch, switches with light indicators and very close wires due to 2 way switches or placement.

Thanks for your views and helpful advice.

Not very sure what is this wiring diagram you are referring to??

This is what I have behind our circuit board. I don't understand it at all. 

I just had a discovery today. The heater switch outside the bathroom is not effective at all. The heater only switches on if I switch on the heater circuit board and will off if I switch the heater circuit board off!! OMG. I'm not sure what the implications are. 

The MCST referred someone who is familiar with our condo units and has been doing renovation works. I called him and he was the one who suggested by passing the heater circuit board and charging me $700 for PVC trunking to the 2 bathrooms. I asked and he confessed he is not a licensed electrician. So I'm not very comfortable with getting him to do the works. Should one be fussy about engaging one with  a licence? Hmmph! 

TR_wiring_plan_1.jpg

TR_wiring_plan.jpg

5 hours ago, Sunny88 said:

Not very sure what is this wiring diagram you are referring to??

This is what I have behind our circuit board. I don't understand it at all. 

I just had a discovery today. The heater switch outside the bathroom is not effective at all. The heater only switches on if I switch on the heater circuit board and will off if I switch the heater circuit board off!! OMG. I'm not sure what the implications are. 

I was referring to the diagram on the inside cover of the upper box. Could you take a clear picture of that. The pictures posted are blurry.

The diagram you posted shows you have home automation, but I noted that the upper box has been unplugged. Is there a reason why it is unplugged. Your home security is no longer in use or is there some other issue?

When you say heater circuit board switch, are you referring the the switches on the lower box; i.e P12 and P13? 

Since you say that there is electrical power trip related to heater, it is best you do not turn on P12 and P13 until the root cause has been found. They should be left in the off position and the heater should not be used at this point in time.

In my opinion, it is best not to over complicate things and first determine whether the heater is really working without electrical fault or find out the root cause of the power trip. 

20160914_140048.jpg.c7105682ebb54af18290a03a730ee0ca.jpgThanks for comments, Pelect.

We got an electrician to check the wiring. And rectified the heater electrical fault. 

Only issue now is to get a replacement heater switch for as the existing switch is spoilt - the doorbell- type switch  works but the light is spoilt. Its Clipsal brand but electrician told me this type is hard to find. Alternative is to change to the standard switch but this means re-wiring and pvc trunking. Sigh!

Please let me know if anyone has seen such a heater switch.

20160914_140143.jpg.5ba73f57ddd22d0428d4d0bdc26b1025.jpg