Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
waterbutt

Move position of floor traps

Hello, does anyone know whether it is possible to move the position of floor traps in the bathroom/kitchen of an apartment?

Some of them are in the middle of the room and i would prefer them to be at a corner instead. OCD issue. 

Otherwise, is it possible to totally get rid of them from the bathroom/kitchen (i.e. renovate such that no floor traps at all in the bathroom/kitchen)? For example, i know bathrooms and kitchens in the UK do not have any floor traps in them.

Thanks in advance for your help and insights.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

You can ask your ID/contractor to conceal it. I have dark floor tiles and my floor trap is white, so it is an eye sore. Forgot to ask my contractor to build the floor trap lower than the floor level and cover it with a piece of cut tile. 

You can even ask them to seal it permanently but that would not be advisable because you will not have a drain point. In the event there is flooding (due to pipe burst or something else), the water will have nowhere to flow. The other reason is that in the event there is a choke, the handyman may need the floor trap to clear the choke.

Thanks thanks. I am guessing that it will be hard to move it from its current position?

My reason is not really eyesore but more like i have some irrational disgust and fear of them so i would prefer them to be out of my way. Even if it is in the form of the nice concealed tile but still in the middle of the bathroom, i will feel **** uneasy.

If it's a landed property, then can be move but will involve hacking and re-routing the drain piping.

If it's a non-landed (HDB or private), then it is not possible. Because we cannot alter the drain pipings connected to the floor traps. The drain piping are hanging on the ceiling of the unit below yours.

You can move your floor trap if your HDB unit is more than 3 years HDB ( due to waterproofing warranty etc )

Floor need to be hacked. The original floor trap concealed by a ' removable ' tile ( for future service issue ) and the new floor trap is connected to the orginal floor trap by a narrower PVC pipe ( cannot hack too deep )

Workmanship of plumber important cos of the gradient  of the PVC pipe so that water can flow smoothly.

1 hour ago, ARTnLIFE said:

You can move your floor trap if your HDB unit is more than 3 years HDB ( due to waterproofing warranty etc )

Floor need to be hacked. The original floor trap concealed by a ' removable ' tile ( for future service issue ) and the new floor trap is connected to the orginal floor trap by a narrower PVC pipe ( cannot hack too deep )

Workmanship of plumber important cos of the gradient  of the PVC pipe so that water can flow smoothly.

Thanks Art. Will this be the same for condominiums too? 

On 9/29/2016 at 1:36 PM, waterbutt said:

Thanks Art. Will this be the same for condominiums too? 

Condo will be much easier due to lesser restriction but you must check with your MSCT ( mgt ) office the details