Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
w7_lee

Converting existing CF light to LED light

Has anyone convert their compact fluorescent light to LED light without changing the casing?

From this ....

large.57e24d51a7854_CFLlight.jpg

To this ....

large.57e24d5935a13_LEDlight.jpg

I am thinking of doing it at my parent's 26 year old HDB. They are getting older now and the HDB design is poor (the hall have no window), so they have to switch on the light much earlier nowadays.

If anyone has done it before, can give some advise like what watt for LED should I choose (existing CFL is 36watt but becomes not so bright as the lamp ages). And any significant decrease in electrical bill after changing to LED?

TIA.

Edited by w7_lee

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Not advisable for the 'integration' in view of next maintenance/replacement, unless for sake of getting hand-on/experience otherwise.

LED tech advance fast, today's model might not be available tmr. 'Easy replacement' with similar brand/model is the key in this regard.

Main reason I'm thinking of doing it is to see if there will be cost saving in the electrical bill. Their monthly is almost $300 nowadays.

They used the aircon but for 2 to 3 hours per night (in 1 room only) and inverter type. The only think I can think of to lower the bill is the light (9 sets altogether), so thinking of switching out those that they use regularly. If there are no savings in the bill, then can go back to CFL types again.

Secondly reason is that I have a week's annual leave to clear, so nothing to do, try some hands-on.

Will see how it goes.

Be factual. Residential utility rate ~ sgd 0.22 per KWH.

1. One CF light ~ 32w,

2. LED of the same lumination ~20w.

Say switch on both 10hr/day for 30days.

1. 32x10x30 = 9.600KWH= 9.6x0.22=$2.112

2. 20x10x30=6.0KWH=6x0.22=$1.32. One month 80cents! Not even enough for a cup of copi!:D

Don't use aircon is the best $ saving!

A system 2 is about 10,000BTU = 2.93KWH. Don't turn on for 2hr/day can save (2.93x2x0.22=$1.2892) Enough for a cup of copi!

You may have to take no pay leave to fix back the original one!:D

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:15 AM, TedDibiase said:

With singapore's weather this is rather difficult

My spoilt kids cannot sleep without aircon.

On 9/22/2016 at 9:57 AM, w7_lee said:

Has anyone convert their compact fluorescent light to LED light without changing the casing?

From this ....

large.57e24d51a7854_CFLlight.jpg

To this ....

large.57e24d5935a13_LEDlight.jpg

I am thinking of doing it at my parent's 26 year old HDB. They are getting older now and the HDB design is poor (the hall have no window), so they have to switch on the light much earlier nowadays.

If anyone has done it before, can give some advise like what watt for LED should I choose (existing CFL is 36watt but becomes not so bright as the lamp ages). And any significant decrease in electrical bill after changing to LED?

TIA.

Good of you to do that l.

On 9/23/2016 at 12:43 PM, w7_lee said:

Main reason I'm thinking of doing it is to see if there will be cost saving in the electrical bill. Their monthly is almost $300 nowadays.

They used the aircon but for 2 to 3 hours per night (in 1 room only) and inverter type. The only think I can think of to lower the bill is the light (9 sets altogether), so thinking of switching out those that they use regularly. If there are no savings in the bill, then can go back to CFL types again.

Secondly reason is that I have a week's annual leave to clear, so nothing to do, try some hands-on.

Will see how it goes.

My idea is:

A.  If you switched to LED, don't switch back even the saving is 0.80 cents/month. A saving is saving and why incur extra cost to switch back?

B. AC is not the only heavy energy user. It's you comfort that matters! A good night sleep is better and worth the cost.

C. Better solutions $$$:

- Change to gas heater for the shower, if you are using electricity heater.

- Use gas for boiling water instead of electric kettle.

These can save more than switching to LED alone. 

There are other ideas for electricity savings too.

IMO the main consumers are

1 - Air Cons > Fridges > Washing Machines > Heaters > Fans (Yeah! you will be surprised) > Computer/Laptops

For Fridges - old Fridges tend to consume higher wattage too so better to change.

Rather than Gas heaters which require new line set up simpler solution is to train to take cold water showers. Its proven to be good for you. If you really need hot water showers then install the lowest cost option.

Also for aircons, the other option is to replace them with dehumidifiers and air coolers. They are of lower wattage the conventional aircon and require lower maintenance in the long run especially filter changes, checks and chemical washes etc.

Fans too I think to make best use of wattage change to good solid brands like KDK and don't go for cheap option because for same wattage the experience is worse off.

Computer/TV laptops you would be better with lower lighting of back panel that tends to drain your electricity if you are using these devices regularly for long hours.