Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
PositiveLola

Basic kitchen renovation

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hey~ im also doing up my home at the moment! for me the main couple of things my sister in law advise me is:

1. Do you cook often and what type of cooking ... heavy cooking or light cooking

if light cooking can consider using just induction cooker.. very good for simple cooking at home plus theres no residual heat when cooking so its not hot

heavy cooking definitely need a good stove.. my recommendation will be those 4 burner with grills across the whole thing rather than 3 burner and must lift individually.. basically the grills minimize accidents in the kitchen as well.. 

2. FRIDGE SIZE... if you cook alot better buy a big fridge.. my moms house the fridge is so small that everything is packed inside and very hard to find things.. recommend to use japanese fridge with many compartment.. very useful..

3. If you are heavy cooking.. can consider a small dishwasher.. saves alot of precious family time.. dont need to buy the full size one buy the 30cm one half size enough unless u always have big parties den full size one can consider

4. SINK SIZE... recommend double sink... single sink is normally for really light cooking.. and big regrets if you heavy cooking plus no dishwasher plus single sink..

5. kitchen top.. recommend use something hardy like quartz top doesnt stain easily, wood is a big headache for heavy cooking... unless you do light cooking only. granite emit radon abit scary i dont dare to use

6. dish drying rack.. must have in the house.. my suggestion is do a permanent one at the top cabinet area that is easy for you to reach and near the sink..

7. other things like appliances are more subjective to what you use your kitchen for and what you cook la.. 

I'm still sourcing for all the items too!! please do share your items if you have found any good deals~~~ so far i have only went to search around for sink and stuff at sim siang choon.. 

oh yes. 8. Soft closing door hinges.. use the good one like blum .. my mom house the older type.. easy spoil.. i think this hinges can buy at ikea 

if you have ideas for appliances please share.. i found that a must have for me is toaster oven.. i have one small one.. very useful.. use more often than oven

Guest corkco

Thank you so much for sharing this information, it's been a really interesting read, Thanks for the great tips.

hi guys,

do you have a recommended contractor who can do this basic kitchen reno?  I am looking for one to put in new tiles in the kitchen and install a dishwasher

Hi All,

I did my Kitchen with one company, and the designer advise me a lot of things that i also did think of it. Before I engage this ID, there is other ID that said almost the same. But all ID the same, they will quote us with a lot of things and after that it is up to us whether to engage or not. but I choose this ID company bcos, they are genuine and reliable very much.nvkitchen1.jpgkitchen3.jpg

Basic kitchen renovation can be easier if we have a list of things already planned out. Once a renovation is done and if does not turn out as good as you expected then all the time and money that you have spent would go to waste. So it is always better to hire an experienced contractor. While doing a kitchen renovation the one thing you should not avoid are the cabinets. Cabinets can be very useful and they can avoid a lot of space issues. Also, you can also add good lightings, countertops, deep drawers and pullout storages etc. All these would help you to have a good and utility kitchen. Here is a blog http://www.lancastercustoms.com/blog/kitchen-renovation/10-tips-on-how-to-prepare-your-kitchen-for-a-renovation/  that shares some tips on how to prepare your kitchen. I hope you would find it useful.