Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
La Familia

Renovation contractor bad job

I hired a pretty decent contractor with celebrity endorsement to my newly purchased house 31/2 years back.. I paid for almost 60k for the renovation work. 
3 months after I stayed in my New house, I saw that my flooring tiles on the toilet are always wet even when no one is using the toilet. 
As my laminated flooring and my toilet tiles is just right next to each other, it resulted in my laminate floors been warped or swollen up causing a unpleasant bump and unpleasant smell.

My contractor rectified by plastering my toilet tiles with cement and changing my laminated flooring 3x. 
Before they actually rectify it, I called an HDB inspection officer for his expertise inspection. I was told more than once (since i called on HDB to inspect more than once) that the cause is due to the embedded PVC joint being loose under my tiles and the solution is to hack away the common and also the master toilet flooring as chances are that the water has seeped through and might cause more severe and dangerous problem.

As I delivered the msg to the Renovation Contractor boss, he actually raise his voice at me and told me to write a letter to say that if the joint is not loose then I would pay for the hacking. 
Seriously?
Wow.. and that i should believe the contractor as they know more about renovation.. I was advise by a friend to file a CASE or stomp them or even sue them (my uncle is a lawyer so I'm not worried of the cost)
I hesitated as I know it might cause their licence to be revoked and the livelihood of their employees to be affected.

Now, they are putting up a higher curb to prevent the water from seeping out, instead of resolving the problem once and for all they are just patching it from the top. They left my place after placing the extra curb with cement all over my house, my stuffs, my clothes, practically everything i touch is dusty, My father is an asthmatic patient please.... on top of that I cannot use the shower for 24hrs.
I am not confident that this time the problem will solved.. lets wait 2 weeks and see.

I hope someone could give me an advise and what would you do if it was your home affected.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

wow so much trouble headache for 60k?!!!!!!! sad! i would push thru suing them!!!!!!!!! i'll not be concerned with the livelihood of their employees because they are cheating!

actually you should just speak directly to your HDB officer instead of that contractor or your lawyer.

To my knowledge, HDB would have demanded them to solve this issue found within one year of the renovation in the house, not talking about 3.5 years back...?

The next thing i would do is to see MP.