Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Very long winded post ahead on our reno requirements & our ID selection.

After 3 years and 4 months of wait from BTO Sales Launch to key collection, we have finally stepped foot into our house with kosong $$ in our CPF accounts lol. I had benefitted from the sharing from this forum and thought I would share my simple reno too, although don't know will benefit anyone or not haha!

Anyway, prior to key collection, we had decided on our ID, chosen our tiles and laminates and seen the 3D drawings liao. Cos we were also planning for our wedding and I didn't want everything to come together for us to make decisions, very overwhelming. First, let me start off with presenting our very typical floor plan:

floor plan.jpg

We had chosen this layout with the household shelter in the kitchen cos we didn't want to spend money on doing up a feature wall just to cover the household shelter's doors.

Things we had decided that we want, prior to meeting IDs:
1. Most important - flooring (tiles in living/dining area & vinyl in bedrooms);
2. TV wall + suspended console;
3. L box in living room;
4. Ceiling fan in living room above sofa area;
5. Kitchen carpentry (top & bottom cabinets & drawers, sink, hob & hood on the long side; bottom carpentry on short side);
6. Glass door to separate kitchen from living/dining area;
7. Base for fridge & washing machine;
8. Full height wardrobe in MBR;
9. Full height wardrobe in BR 2;
10. Ceiling fan in BR 3;
11. Painting for whole house;
12. Windows in service balcony;
13. Window grills for whole house;
14. Electrical works; and
15. Plumbing works

After meeting a few IDs, we added:
16. False ceiling in dining area/corridor.

We didn't want cove lights despite it being recommended by a few IDs. In fact, we eliminated the ones who insisted that we do cove lights - if this also cannot then I foresee we may have disagreements in future so, eliminated!

Once we had an idea of what we wanted to do, we met up with quite a few IDs to discuss.

First, we went to a big company to see whether these can fit into our budget. The ID was kind of helpful but didn't give us a friendly feeling. He gave some good ideas and some nonsense ideas. Felt like he was trying to smoke us. Asked us for our budget and then the quotation was exactly our budget. Then keep pushing us to sign on the spot, despite us telling him that he was the first ID we met and we needed time to consider, plus key collection was still an unknown date of at least 3 to 4 months away. Plus the company was quite empty despite it being a big company with a few branches - on a Sunday afternoon!

Second, we passed by this ID shop and saw the staff inside quite busy, decided to just approach them to ask for quotation so that we would have a better gauge of the market rate. The ID was friendly and after listening to our requirements, gave us some ideas and feedback. Like there would be a beam between the living area and the dining area, based on his experience and a few other suggestions (which I had forgotten now haha else I can share with you guys). We were impressed by him drawing out how he plan to do the TV area, the kitchen and the wardrobe. Gave us an rough estimate of the quotation on the spot, based on the stuff we wanted, and then emailed us the quotation. Anyway, his quotation was not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.

Third, fourth, fifth etc, we went to quite a few more IDs and we rejected them mainly because:

1. Insist that we do cove lights;
2. Never get back to us;
3. Unbelievably cheap (lol humans - too cheap cannot, too expensive cannot);
4. Not so convincing, the ID sounded like he was unsure (scared he chut pattern then we all faint together);
5. Expensive!!!!

Then it was decision making time. We couldn't find any reviews of the second ID online, despite the fact that the company had been around for 20+ years. No reviews nvm, as long as no negative reviews - our thinking is that, if really jialat sure got people complain online lah... Felt that we could click and got the feel, so we decided on him, after comparing the quotations, although I keep niam-ing my bf that some stuff a bit expensive, but still within our budget (which we didn't tell him).

After deciding on him, we met up to sign the contract and he passed us the paint colours book for us to choose colours. We then decided to meet up another time to discuss on colours, laminates etc cos we were quite tired after work. So we met up and first, his partner brought us to the Lian Hin Seng at Balestier to choose tiles and being the fast decision makers that we are, decided on the tiles rather quickly. Returned to the shop to choose laminates, vinyl flooring and to confirm that the paint colours we had chosen can match the flooring.

A week later, received our first draft of 3D drawings and had some amendments. To be honest, the amendments to 3D drawings were a bit slow but also maybe cos our key collection also donno when lah, not priority. After we informed him of our key collection date, the revisions came faster. Nonetheless, so far so good.

Next post on key collection + open door.

Edited by slashmylove
resize pic

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Day 1 of key collection = Day 1 of reno O.o

We collected our keys on 1 October 2016. The key collection process was seamless. Just to share with those waiting for their key collection, these are the steps to go through.

1. Get Q no. for fire insurance. When it's your turn, show your printed appointment letter & proceed with payment for fire insurance (payment by NETS).

2. Scan your appointment letter and wait for your turn. Very fast will call you, as long as you stick within the given time slot.

3. Go through documents and sign, sign, sign.

4. If haven't gotten fire insurance, this is when the HDB officer will tell you to get the fire insurance and return. If already settled, skip this step.

5. Sign your CPF away and decide on loan tenure etc. Also got this HDB loan insurance - it's the one whereby if either party passes on, the loan will be covered by the insurance.

6. Collect keys!!! If you didn't opt for the doors + sanitary fittings, your keys would only have letter box keys, main gate keys & main door keys.

7. Head up to level 3 to pay town council your S&CC (cash or NETS).

8. Open SP Services account if you want. No payment is required here, as the $100 deposit would be reflected in your first bill.

9. No more lah, can go to your new home liao!

Welcome to the world of paying bills!!!

Oops, I forgot to state earlier that my flat would have internal doors & sanitary fittings but no flooring cos I didn't like the porcelain tiles with timber skirting. Seems so strange to me to have white flooring and brown skirting. Also didn't trust the quality of work done also haha. Although it seems like the overall quality is ok as no one else in the BTO FB group had complained.

Then we went to our house. We had arranged with our ID to meet at a later time so that we can do the necessary first. He had volunteered to help us check defects for the entire house.

We were amazed at the size (aiyo so small haha) and then tried to visualise the house when it's done up. Then we got to test the electrical sockets and water points. Checked the tiles in the kitchen and toilets (this one a bit troublesome). Checked the doors and windows etc. We only found problems with the doors (1 cannot close properly, 1 difficult to lock, scratches, paint marks) and the gate (paint marks and something peeling off).

Our ID said that he would check also and for those that he can do, he would settle. Otherwise, if we find anymore defects, he would take over to rectify.

Our ID is too on!! Gave us a shock! He said ours is the first project in the area and he wanna do up quickly to show his other customers. Anyway, he reached and called us to check whether he can come up or not. When he came, he asked if we had called Citygas. Told him no, cos donno when wanna do the installation and he asked us to call Citygas to activate account first and he would liaise with Citygas to do the installation. Then he asked if we had settled our aircon already - which we haven't. Only asked for price but haven't buy. Then he asked, if his contact can match the price, are we ok to let him do, as it would be easier for him to coordinate. We were ok so he called his contact and his contact said that he would be able to come within half an hour cos he was nearby.

Meanwhile, the electricians came! With materials ready to start work. So he got around to do things and we also told him of our request for additional points, which he acceded. They got down to work immediately. Then the aircon guy came to see how to run the trunking and discussed with us. While we were talking to the aircon guy, the windows guy came to do measurement and left before we could even talk to him lol.

Anyway, we told him we had bought the sink, hob & hood and can arrange for delivery. He asked us to get it delivered quickly lol. Suddenly everything is progressing very fast!! And we haven't buy the lights and other stuff required during reno stage lor.

We spoke to our neighbour from different floor and showed them around, cos we have slightly different layouts. We stopped when the electricians said they wanna drill liao. So our neighbours left, we packed up and went to the BSC at level 1 to submit the defects form.

Then our ID who was still downstairs chatting with his partners and other contractors offered to give us a lift to the nearest mrt station. The bus service is not yet running so the next nearest bus stop is a long walk away.

And that marks the end of Day 1!

Day 2 would be shopping for lights & stuff $.$

Day 2

I think my reserved posts not enough, nvm, maybe when got more posts then I do up a table of contents or something.

Anyway, finally managed to get the photos from my phone! Donno is it my data cable spoil?

This post will be sharing of photos. Didn't think of using panorama mode so my pictures are very one-piece one-piece one, hope you guys don't mind x.x

This is what we see when we open the main door.. Into our tiny living room..

P_20161001_135004.jpg

As you can see, there is a recess here, which we will be covering up as this wall would be our sofa wall.

P_20161001_135032.jpg

Standing at where the main door opens, this is the dining area. Left side is the corridor to rooms, right side is kitchen.

P_20161001_135014.jpg

Into the kitchen, this is how the service balcony door & window look like. Only one side got window. Lucky still quite bright. We will be doing windows & grills.

P_20161001_140253.jpg

Standing at where the service balcony door is at, this is the view of the gas & water piping & bomb shelter door.

P_20161001_140220.jpg

Up close of the "design" on the kitchen wall tile... which I dislike.. lol!

P_20161001_140305.jpg

This is the common toilet. Cos of the placement, worried that when we shower will wet the toilet & toilet paper so we're gonna have a shower screen only in between the toilet bowl and shower area. No kerb.

P_20161001_135151.jpg

Then this is the common toilet sink area. If use the toilet must lock door, if not someone open the door very hard will squash the person inside lol!

P_20161001_135147.jpg

The bedrooms are like normal, so I'm not showing any pictures of it. Usually the difference would be living/dining/kitchen/service yard & toilet area imo.

Just one thing to note, there is an electrical point right at the main bedroom entrance so you would need a light there, or can seal it up.

Day 2 was shopping day (Sunday) and we noticed that the electrical works (running of cables) were done when we reached our house to put the two Cash & Carry lights into the bomb shelter.

We're doing L-box in living room, ceiling fan in between sofa/tv.

P_20161002_162140.jpg

The TV console side done. Added a double socket on the corridor wall.

P_20161002_162148.jpg

Doing false ceiling in dining area, no pendant light. Less thing to clean......

P_20161002_162151.jpg

Also done up for the hood area in kitchen.

P_20161002_162236.jpg

Bedrooms again, nothing much, only added a double socket in MBR.

Will be doing T5 lights in toilets for ambience lights but donno whether it is done already or not.

Edited by slashmylove
add pictures

Day 3

It was a Monday, so we didn't go down on site. From what our ID told us, day 3 would be the completion of ceiling works - L-box & false ceiling, day 4 installation of aircon piping/trunking, delivery of cement screed and tiles.

Day 4

We took leave on this day cos we had arranged for delivery of the items we bought and needed to pay the balance payment of the lights & installation of ceiling fans, thus needed us to be there.
Some may ask why so fast install the ceiling fan - cos we had asked our ID and he said that since the shop's installer would be more pro at installing fans then it's better for them to do. Cos my ID is fast hand fast leg, so we thought just quickly deliver then when he need to install the lights won't need to chase us anymore.
Anyway, he promised that the ceiling would be done before day 4 so that the installation of fan would be affected.

Prior to key collection, I researched on a few places that sell LED lights at a reasonable rate. Didn't buy lights from Taobao cos my BF was concerned about warranty issues and also cos we don't have time to wait for sea shipment plus no place to keep if order earlier.
So after discussion, we decided on a shop and called to get a rough estimate on the price.
Then on day 2 (Sunday), we travelled from the west area to Hougang just to buy lights (so farrrrr) but I would say it was a pretty good deal!
What we bought - 15 down lights (1 color only - warm white, the 3 tone ones are too big cos i'm doing small L-box), 1 12W small round panel light (warm white) meant for the MBR entrance, 4 18W medium panel light (day light) for service yard, bomb shelter & 2 toilets, 4 warm white T5 lights for the toilets, a big rectangular panel light for kitchen (think it's 36W? or more? cannot remember).
The lights were less than $500!
Also bought 2 Acorn fans there. The shop owner (or staff? I donno) said that if can find elsewhere selling cheaper fans that they are, they will match the price. So we decided to get the ceiling fans from the same shop too.
Anyway, very pleased that we saved quite a bit, esp since we had to travel so far to the bird don't lay egg place lol.

On Day 2, after buying lights, we went to Hoe Kee (Tg Katong) pay off the balance for our sink, hob & hood. At the same time, bought 2 lights for bedrooms & the toilet fittings.
All very basic and normal stuff la. The service rendered was pretty good. Although they had told us need to call 3 days in advance to arrange for delivery, we went on a Sunday and asked if delivery on coming Tuesday was possible, they acceded to our request after some discussion. This is because they only need to deliver, no installation required, and there were ready stocks.
What we got from Hoe Kee:
1. Fujioh cooker FG3773SVGL and hood SLM-900;
2. Blanco Pleon 8 Silgranit sink & Blanco Mida 517742 sink mixer;
3. 2 x mirrors for toilets;
4. 2 x towel bar for toilets;
5. 2 x tempered glass shelf to put below the mirror;
6. 2 x 2 tiered tempered glass shelf to put the shower stuff;
7. 2 x bidet spray
8. 2 x Aerogas water heater (1 with rain shower for MBR);
9. 2 x 3 tone light for MBR & BR2.
The lights were cash & carry, cos need minimum order of $200 for free delivery but we already bought everything else from the other shop. Cos the lights although situated inside Hoe Kee, is a different entity.
Spent close to $2k for these stuff, that would be required for the reno stage.

So these were the things that we were waiting for delivery.'

We reached the house and saw that the partition to even out the wall behind sofa had been done up.

P_20161004_134617.jpg

The L-box in living area & false ceiling in dining area/corridor done. Aircon piping also done.

P_20161004_112410.jpgP_20161004_112417.jpgP_20161004_112425.jpg

These were the insulation used. Must check to ensure that you get what you're paying for! But I also donno lah, is this what I paid for? Just take photo as evidence first. I kind of like it that there was no one then I can take photos to document.

P_20161004_165441.jpg

The lights and ceiling fans were delivered. Installed the ceiling fans. But somehow the electricity doesn't seem to run properly so need our ID to liaise, he promised will get it fixed. Anyway if the problem is not with the electricity, can call the shop and they will send someone down to see what's the issue.
One reason we eventually decided on Acorn was that there were 2 years on-site warranty given. Initially we wanted to get Fanco Icon fans, but the light kit quite expensive and we must have the light kit for BR3. Hopefully it works well and don't need to use the warranty ever!

This is from the BR3.

P_20161004_143933.jpg

This is living room one.

P_20161004_143916.jpg

Also saw that the cement screed and our tiles were waiting for haulage (from town council) to move to our unit!

P_20161004_134927.jpg

ID also told us that the paint would be delivered today, for the 1st coat of paint after flooring done.
So now the storeroom is so full! I had labelled everything! Except the really obvious ones like sink, cooker and hood.

P_20161004_155400.jpg

With that, we left the place...

Day 5 - today
Today supposed to be flooring la.. So I haven't asked the ID for updates so also donno liao..
Anyway the ceiling fans were not covered (we also didnt know that he should help us cover back lor, since our flat really is kosong + ceiling fans only). Our ID had very kindly agreed to help us wrap up the fans before doing the flooring cos it will be super dusty with all the cement flying around!

Our ID had roughly informed us that they would be doing the flooring, painting, installation of gas piping for kitchen and fabrication of carpentry this week. But I thought flooring usually take more time. Donno yet, see how it goes!

Our reno is progressing so fast, our bank account is also depleting fast.. lol!

So far still good with the ID and the work done. Hope it remains like this throughout and post reno! Ours supposed to come with 2 years warranty upon completion but let's hope that we won't need to use the warranty!

Till next time I visit the house....

Edited by slashmylove
add pic

3D drawings

These are the first draft of the 3D drawings received.
Not very impressive I would say, cos some of the things are unknown, like the colours for the service yard windows and door, kitchen wall tiles, flooring also not like what we chose later on.
Anyway according to the ID, he said the colour of the door/window frames or flooring as less important in 3D drawings cos the main purpose is to see how the carpentry looks like.
However, after we decided on the flooring, he did amend for us to have a better gist of how it's going to look like.
Some changes were made here and there, so the outcome may be different from the pictures.
Nonetheless, quite excited to receive the first draft initially.

The TV console got changes... cos we're adding aircon on that wall. This decision was made after discussion with the ID so it wasn't reflected here.

Tv Console.jpg

MBR - wardrobe only. Also got changes to colour of wardrobe. And with the revision, added in our floor colour too.

Master Bedroom.jpg

BR 2 - Think no changes. We're ok with that. When ID resent the other drawings, also changed the flooring colour for this.

Bedroom 2.jpg

Kitchen - the side with fridge & bottom cabinets only. Initially I wanted large drawers, but the ID said the width would be too long for large drawers that can sustain weight. Plus after actual site inspection, the column behind may also be a problem so I didn't insist. I'm fine with cabinets also haha..

Kitchen 2.jpg

Kitchen with sink & cooker - ID had presented 2 drawings for this cos we weren't sure where should the water outlet be, as the sink would be dependent on the water outlet. So he provided two versions and then we'll decide after seeing the actual thing.

Kitchen.jpgkITCHEN OPTION 3.jpg

Overall quite satisfied with the 3D drawings cos it's easier to visualise with some pictures.

Will do a comparison after the carpentry is up!

And I really don't have enough reserved posts haha will need to figure out how to do the table of contents, else you guys would have to read page by page liao (not that got a lot of pages lah haha!)

Edited by slashmylove
add pic

14 minutes ago, rae said:

congrats on your new place! looking forward to seeing your reno :D 

Thanks! My reno very simple only.. Although seems like a lot cos need to do flooring. But don't have a special theme or what.. Looking forward to see yours too!

Btw i'm planning to get curtains. Can anyone share with me their curtain contractor recommendations and their quotation? Need to know the rates for 4 room bto for day and night curtains for living room & all 3 rooms.

13 hours ago, tohlianseng said:

can i see some pics on your reno??

Hi, I'm having some problems with transferring photos to laptop so no photos yet. Will do so after I sort it out. Otherwise only words no pictures also defeat the purpose of sharing lol..

10 hours ago, Madseason21 said:

Your layout is the same as mine! :)

How are you doing up the kitchen? We're still looking for ideas as the bomb shelter makes the kitchen small

Hi! Have you gotten your keys? Must really see it to gauge the small-ness... lol! Where is your project at?

Really agree that the bomb shelter makes the kitchen smaller but I would still prefer it being in the kitchen than the living room.

We're doing top & bottom cabinets along the longer stretch of wall, with sink & cooker there. The other stretch with the entrance to living room, we're doing bottom cabinets only with base for fridge. Bottom cabinets near the windows to service yard and fridge base nearer the dining area.

We're gonna have glass swing door to separate the kitchen/living area. The lights switches are currently behind the proposed position for fridge so we're going to shift the switches outside the kitchen so that it'll be easier to access than from behind the fridge...

26 minutes ago, slashmylove said:

Hi! Have you gotten your keys? Must really see it to gauge the small-ness... lol! Where is your project at?

Really agree that the bomb shelter makes the kitchen smaller but I would still prefer it being in the kitchen than the living room.

We're doing top & bottom cabinets along the longer stretch of wall, with sink & cooker there. The other stretch with the entrance to living room, we're doing bottom cabinets only with base for fridge. Bottom cabinets near the windows to service yard and fridge base nearer the dining area.

We're gonna have glass swing door to separate the kitchen/living area. The lights switches are currently behind the proposed position for fridge so we're going to shift the switches outside the kitchen so that it'll be easier to access than from behind the fridge...

Yup we've gotten our keys and we're shocked at how small it is! We are in Clementi, where is yours?

We're really taking our time and to save money, liaising with individual contractors. Right now only the air con trunking is done. Haha :)

For the kitchen we are planning to shift the opening to the kitchen to beside the adjoining common toilet wall so there is some hacking to be done. Still.looking for ideas on how to place the double door fridge and sink. Sigh :(

Look forward to photos of your kitchen works!

13 minutes ago, Madseason21 said:

Yup we've gotten our keys and we're shocked at how small it is! We are in Clementi, where is yours?

We're really taking our time and to save money, liaising with individual contractors. Right now only the air con trunking is done. Haha :)

For the kitchen we are planning to shift the opening to the kitchen to beside the adjoining common toilet wall so there is some hacking to be done. Still.looking for ideas on how to place the double door fridge and sink. Sigh :(

Look forward to photos of your kitchen works!

Congrats!

Initially I wanted to save money and do the liaising myself. However, both our jobs doesn't allow us to take leave so easily thus we decided to engage an ID as there are things that he may have thought of and we didn't. Anyway, I feel that if you are not in a rush to move in then no issue la. My project is in Sembawang and actually even if our unit is done, I don't know if I would move in yet, cos it seems quite scary to be one of the few units occupied lol. And it is VERY DUSTY!!! Gosh!!

So you are planning to seal up the current doorway and shift it inwards? Sounds interesting leh, I cannot imagine how it's like. Then the space between the new doorway to the service yard windows, what is your plan for that? Leave it empty? Are you planning to do a door for kitchen? Swing door, bi-fold door or sliding door?

The kitchen is really small lor.. Squeezy to have double door fridge.. I also had problems with sink, I wanted a big sink. End up I don't care lah still got a bigger sink lol! Just that less counter space to do food prep or do things lor..

Maybe later I go dig out the 3D pics and post, then you can try to visualise haha! But the 3D pics - according to ID - is to see the carpentry and choice of laminate colours, not drawn to scale one..