Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

6 hours ago, slashmylove said:

Congrats!

Initially I wanted to save money and do the liaising myself. However, both our jobs doesn't allow us to take leave so easily thus we decided to engage an ID as there are things that he may have thought of and we didn't. Anyway, I feel that if you are not in a rush to move in then no issue la. My project is in Sembawang and actually even if our unit is done, I don't know if I would move in yet, cos it seems quite scary to be one of the few units occupied lol. And it is VERY DUSTY!!! Gosh!!

So you are planning to seal up the current doorway and shift it inwards? Sounds interesting leh, I cannot imagine how it's like. Then the space between the new doorway to the service yard windows, what is your plan for that? Leave it empty? Are you planning to do a door for kitchen? Swing door, bi-fold door or sliding door?

The kitchen is really small lor.. Squeezy to have double door fridge.. I also had problems with sink, I wanted a big sink. End up I don't care lah still got a bigger sink lol! Just that less counter space to do food prep or do things lor..

Maybe later I go dig out the 3D pics and post, then you can try to visualise haha! But the 3D pics - according to ID - is to see the carpentry and choice of laminate colours, not drawn to scale one..

Ya lor Space super small! Dunno where to put double fridge and double sink. We were thinking of hacking the service yard walls too but then have to hack or overlay the floors because the service yard floor slopes down = more m$$$lah. 

After we shift the door inwards then we have a long wall that we can put a long dining table since we like to have family over so the grandparents all have space to eat together. 

No worries lah if and when you have time can post the pictures, am sure you're super busy with the renovation.

All the best and congratulations once again!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
15 hours ago, Madseason21 said:

Ya lor Space super small! Dunno where to put double fridge and double sink. We were thinking of hacking the service yard walls too but then have to hack or overlay the floors because the service yard floor slopes down = more m$$$lah. 

After we shift the door inwards then we have a long wall that we can put a long dining table since we like to have family over so the grandparents all have space to eat together. 

No worries lah if and when you have time can post the pictures, am sure you're super busy with the renovation.

All the best and congratulations once again!

Haha usually I secretly log on during office hours la.. at home too lazy to on my laptop liao.. need to ask my ID what's the update so far, then weekend go and check it out.

Btw I uploaded my 3D drawings, hope it can help you visualise a bit!

No pics short update post.

Day 6

Citygas installer came to run the gas pipe for our cooker. No issues faced.
BSC also went to see the defects we'd listed but don't know about the rectification yet.
Hopefully can fix the defects! Recap - our defects were mainly doors-related. Scratch marks, paint marks, door that cannot lock easily, door that cannot close properly and this door also had a slanted lockset.
Hopefully BSC will fix these, cos our reno had started and I'm concerned that they'll push the paint marks and scratch marks to the renovation. Of cos the slanted lockset, door cannot close properly and lock properly cannot push la..
Our ID too on to start work so we didn't have time to get the BSC to complete rectifications before starting reno.
Also, we agreed to start reno cos the defects were door-related, unlikely to push la.. paint marks our ID should be able to fix also.
Anyway our ID had agreed to rectify whatever the BSC didn't, as long as it's within reasonable means. Meaning like change door cannot lah... haha!

Day 7

On this rainy day, our ID updated us that they are doing the flooring now. Told us to go take a look but don't step on the newly laid tiles. Lol... means we can only peep from outside lor!

Then next Tuesday, measurement for the carpentry works would be done.

Estimated completion by this month!

Let me go through... normally the reno procress (to my knowledge) goes from:
1. running the wiring for electrical works, aircon piping, city gas piping;
2. measurement for windows and window grills;
3. shopping & delivery for the stuff required to be installed during renovation;
4. flooring;
5. painting;
6. carpentry measurement;
7. installation of windows and grills;
8. installation of carpentry & measurement for kitchen counter top;
9. installation of lightings, aircon, electrical works to ensure got electricity & plumbing works;
10. touch up & final painting;
11. cleaning;
12. final inspection for defects; and then
13. all okay to completion!

Did I miss out anything? Can anyone who had gone through this pls advise?

48 minutes ago, slashmylove said:

No pics short update post.

Day 6

Citygas installer came to run the gas pipe for our cooker. No issues faced.
BSC also went to see the defects we'd listed but don't know about the rectification yet.
Hopefully can fix the defects! Recap - our defects were mainly doors-related. Scratch marks, paint marks, door that cannot lock easily, door that cannot close properly and this door also had a slanted lockset.
Hopefully BSC will fix these, cos our reno had started and I'm concerned that they'll push the paint marks and scratch marks to the renovation. Of cos the slanted lockset, door cannot close properly and lock properly cannot push la..
Our ID too on to start work so we didn't have time to get the BSC to complete rectifications before starting reno.
Also, we agreed to start reno cos the defects were door-related, unlikely to push la.. paint marks our ID should be able to fix also.
Anyway our ID had agreed to rectify whatever the BSC didn't, as long as it's within reasonable means. Meaning like change door cannot lah... haha!

Day 7

On this rainy day, our ID updated us that they are doing the flooring now. Told us to go take a look but don't step on the newly laid tiles. Lol... means we can only peep from outside lor!

Then next Tuesday, measurement for the carpentry works would be done.

Estimated completion by this month!

Let me go through... normally the reno procress (to my knowledge) goes from:
1. running the wiring for electrical works, aircon piping, city gas piping;
2. measurement for windows and window grills;
3. shopping & delivery for the stuff required to be installed during renovation;
4. flooring;
5. painting;
6. carpentry measurement;
7. installation of windows and grills;
8. installation of carpentry & measurement for kitchen counter top;
9. installation of lightings, aircon, electrical works to ensure got electricity & plumbing works;
10. touch up & final painting;
11. cleaning;
12. final inspection for defects; and then
13. all okay to completion!

Did I miss out anything? Can anyone who had gone through this pls advise?

You don't have any work to be done to your toilets? Usually there will be time set aside for things like installing taps, running water piping, shower heads, shower stall/screen/door, toilet bowl, then also toilet fixtures (lights, heater, towel rack, mirror, toilet roll holder etc)? That will have to fit in together with the tiling at the toilet? Or all encapsulated under "plumbing works"?

5 hours ago, slashmylove said:

Haha usually I secretly log on during office hours la.. at home too lazy to on my laptop liao.. need to ask my ID what's the update so far, then weekend go and check it out.

Btw I uploaded my 3D drawings, hope it can help you visualise a bit!

Awesome thanks so much!

We were also thinking of putting the fridge where it is in the drawing. And the subway tiles too! :)

The drawings will give us some idea of how it will look like. Look forward to more photos and updates! 

35 minutes ago, ricepapergirl said:

You don't have any work to be done to your toilets? Usually there will be time set aside for things like installing taps, running water piping, shower heads, shower stall/screen/door, toilet bowl, then also toilet fixtures (lights, heater, towel rack, mirror, toilet roll holder etc)? That will have to fit in together with the tiling at the toilet? Or all encapsulated under "plumbing works"?

Haha yes I lumped it all together under plumbing works.... thanks for the reminder! usually it's done during which stage?

24 minutes ago, Madseason21 said:

Awesome thanks so much!

We were also thinking of putting the fridge where it is in the drawing. And the subway tiles too! :)

The drawings will give us some idea of how it will look like. Look forward to more photos and updates! 

Np! Likely no photos for this week cos we cannot enter house leh, laying tiles today means cannot step on it over the weekend lol!

Day 9

We dropped by to see the tiles..
And turns out that the ID had locked the gate with a padlock so we're locked out of our own house lol!!
The reason being, he didn't want anyone to step on the tiles, not even his own workers hence padlocked the unit.
So opened the wooden door and peeped in.

The tiles seems to be laid quite ok - never see the whole thing difficult to judge.

P_20161009_125019.jpg
The ceiling fan is all wrapped up like what he promised to help us, very appreciative of that.

P_20161009_124948.jpg

One thing about this ID is that he will plan and do, but he doesn't give a lot of updates. I know some people like to be constantly updated but we didn't ask him to do that lah.. However, if he has things to clarify, he'll call us lah.. And when I asked him for updates over whatsapp, he will give. Anyway he said that flooring would only be completed tomorrow (day 11) so we'll see how it goes.
Oh yah, we requested for the entrance slope to be replaced to be like normal step up instead. Don't want it when town council washes the floor outside and the water enters my place through the slope.. so it was done already but haven't tile.

P_20161009_124959.jpg

Couldn't really see the tiles cos it's mostly covered up by cardboard liao..

P_20161009_124951.jpg

The floor is not yet complete so I wonder when we can step into the house again, need to check with him.

P_20161009_125050.jpg

That's it for now... next post I'll share about the 3 electronics bought haha (like that also share!)

Also on Day 9

After visiting the house, we decided to go look see electronics.
Actually we had decided on the model of fridge and washer we wanted and done some price comparision and research and found that this shop was really the cheapest. Went down and the sales staff was very helpful and cos we bought quite a bit, gave us a bit discount too so I'm pleased.
We didn't know what TV to get, although we had a few in mind, 49-50" tv. We're not avid tv fans so didn't want to get too big TV (save money) plus already told ID that we're getting 50" max so the TV console was designed to fit 50" to look best, though it can fit 55" also lah..

Anyway we reached the place and there were actually a lot of sales staff, which I believe was sorted according to brands. We browsed around first. Cos after we decided to go this shop, realised that one of our friends bought their stuff there too so we went to his recommended sales staff. So we waited for that specific staff, who happened to be mostly selling Samsung. Not an issue to us cos we planned to get Samsung fridge and washer anyway.
Only the TV - we were kind of set on LG - the price and promo was quite worth it imo. What I really liked was that the screen was hard - like hp screens, rather than the normal soft screen. However, after looking around and seeing the prices, saw a Samsung curved TV for around the same price and decided to get the curved TV. The colours were nicer also and it's curved! Haha superficial. Anyway we got this - Samsung UA-49KU6300. It came with free wall mount & installation but we topped up for a swivel wall mount (I insisted) and the promotion included a Samsung soundbar too but we didn't need that so the staff reduced price for us (which covered the swivel wall mount wahaha).

tv.jpg

Initially we had decided on a smaller fridge (362L) and it was $800+ at most places which was within our budget. But as we looked, I felt that since a fridge is supposed to last quite some time, and we are planning to have kids, decided to get a bigger one (440L). The price wasn't a huge difference and I really liked the bigger capacity although the size wasn't that much bigger. Plus the colour! So much nicer than normal silver fridges!! Haha paiseh, superficial again!! And this shop offered a lower price than the ones we asked so yup, decided to get Samsung RT-43K6037UT.

fridge.jpg

For the washer, we wanted to get front-load washer. Previously a sales staff told me that if we were to use King-sized bedding and wanna wash everything at a go, it is recommended that we get a 9kg washer. So all along we were looking at Samsung WW90H5200EW, which this place was selling at a lower price btw. However, the day before, we were at Gain City Sg Kadut browsing around and noticed that the 8kg/6kg washer dryer price was quite worth leh! Maybe $50 more than the 9kg washer only. So we had a discussion whether we need 9kg washer or not. My concern was that due to the nearby construction and renovation, our area might still be dusty and sometimes it would be better to use the dryer esp during rainy season. It would be good to have that function although we won't use it frequently (use a lot electricity leh).
After much deliberation, we decided to go ahead with washer dryer. The conclusion was, if really cannot, then we split the washing lor.. lol.. plus how often do we wash the whole set right, at most 1x a week only. What we liked about this washer dryer that we got was that it can complete a wash cycle in under 1 hour (lol 59 mins zhun zhun) and there is an option for quick wash (15 mins) for stuff that wasn't too dirty or what. So in the end we got a Samsung WD80J6410AW.

washer.jpg

Lol seems like we are Samsung promoters! Anyway what we liked about this shop was despite its lower prices than the major retailers, credit cards were accepted at no additional charges and we get to keep the stock in their warehouse for a longer period. The major retailers that we went to, promotional items must be delivered within a month but we weren't sure whether we would be moving within a month or not. We would definitely deliver by end Nov but we don't like the restriction - what if for some reason, our move-in date was delayed right? Delivery on Saturdays have no additional charges too. Plus earning rebates on credit cards while spending on these essential items didn't hurt.
So the sales staff got a good price for us, together with the agent issued grocery vouchers, we spent slightly above my initial budget of 3k for these 3 items so I'm pleased (as you can see, I'm in charge of budget).
We paid a deposit of around 10%, then we will come and settle the balance payment when we've decided on delivery date (must settle payment before delivery).
Donno whether can post the shop name openly so if you're interested in the shop name & the staff contact, can PM me (I'll reply tmr cos I don't have his name card with me now, need to go home see).

Since we're on the topic of shopping, I'll just add on what I bought for my kitchen!
Sink - Blanco Pleon 8 in alu metallic. My counter top is black - Indian granite and I really don't fancy stainless steel sinks so this was my choice. Initially we thought super hard cos our kitchen is quite small and this sink is relatively big lol. don't care lah just get!

sink.jpg

Fujioh FG 3773 SGVL - 3 burners cos we will cook and 1 of the cooker would have inner flame, which was the reason I chose this. Rinnai too expensive lol!

cooker.jpg

Fujioh SLM-900 - came in a package at a good deal (to us, at the point of time, now i don't know liao. If you want to know the price can let me know)from Hoe Kee.

hood.jpg

Ok that's it for now.. donno when will update again.. recently busy + never go to our house leh.. maybe weekend go see see..

Things outstanding to buy - only furniture (sofa, dining set & bed). Maybe bedside tables also.

Ok bye liao.

Oh ya... I'm looking for recommendations for:

1. Solar films for windows & maybe a reflective/tinted film for kitchen glass door;

2. Insect screen for windows;

3. Curtains (living room + 3 bedrooms);

4. Door pad-lock (non-digital - which shop got more choices at a reasonable price?); and

5. Store room racks.

Please share if you have recommendations for any of the above! Gam xia!

Initially, we wanted to get Samsung too. But after much discussion, we end up getting LG and Sony.

My hob and hood is the same model as your. Hope we made the right choices. :yeah:

Your reno is moving well. All the best. :)

30 minutes ago, Sendo999 said:

Initially, we wanted to get Samsung too. But after much discussion, we end up getting LG and Sony.

My hob and hood is the same model as your. Hope we made the right choices. :yeah:

Your reno is moving well. All the best. :)

Haha whatever brand to me also not much difference lah.. price is my main concern wahaha!

I was pretty impressed by the hood when the promoter demonstrated the "sucking power" by putting an A4 sized piece of cardboard on it!

Thanks, your reno in progress?

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:57 PM, slashmylove said:

Haha yes I lumped it all together under plumbing works.... thanks for the reminder! usually it's done during which stage?

For us (but keeping in mind mine was a resale and we redid everything including plastering walls and tiling floors) We had plumbing works (pipes) before electrical wiring work and then installing toilet accessories (including some of the taps, sinks, toilet bowls etc) much later after the painting and the doors, together with the lights. Yours might be different.

36 minutes ago, ricepapergirl said:

For us (but keeping in mind mine was a resale and we redid everything including plastering walls and tiling floors) We had plumbing works (pipes) before electrical wiring work and then installing toilet accessories (including some of the taps, sinks, toilet bowls etc) much later after the painting and the doors, together with the lights. Yours might be different.

I guess ours would be different cos the only real plumbing work to be done in the toilet is fixing up the electrical heater (does this really need plumber or just electrical works?). We're maintaining the BTO sinks/toilet bowls. Then running of pipes for kitchen sink (minimal cos it's a short distance only). Anyway I'm just curious about the sequence cos I haven't gotten the toilet paper holder so I need to gauge when it's needed and also cos I want to make sure that we get to keep the existing HDB-provided shower set instead of the plumber taking it. Nvm, shall check with my ID hehe.. :) thanks @ricepapergirl!

2 hours ago, slashmylove said:

Haha whatever brand to me also not much difference lah.. price is my main concern wahaha!

I was pretty impressed by the hood when the promoter demonstrated the "sucking power" by putting an A4 sized piece of cardboard on it!

Thanks, your reno in progress?

Great to hear that the suction power is great. :) 

Me now in the carpentry stage.