Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mr mio

Extension Of Front Facade- 7.5m Setback Ristriction.

Ask him to quote you the exact BCA regulation, then you can check if its true from the BCA website.

In any case, extending just the front part of the house requires rebuilding the entire front wall and extending the roof as well. Sounds like an expensive A&A job.

Most people extend their front garden or drivway/porch as that does not affect the main house.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I think there are regulations disallowing fixed structures from being too near the boundary wall. Exactly how far, I am not too sure. I thought I remember my architect friend mentioned something like 2.5m, but I think that is for the side of the house.

Sometimes, homeowners do some alterations that are not strictly allowed, but if they do not receive any complaints and is not investigated, they would think that it is okay. For example, my neighbour build a small door and uses the porch over the car park as a balcony. I asked my friend if I could do the same, and he said no.

Your architect is correct. Those houses that appear too close to front boundary were reno without the proper approvals, ie.. no professionals are signing off on them. If there is complaint, especially by neighbour.. need to regularise by proper submission, fines, and possibly removal if is fire satety issue. From what I know.. BCA dun go ard proactively checking if reno works are compliant. Afterall, is private property and no one had complained. Therefore.. do but dun get caught.

Thanks every body, especially Andrew, for your useful link.

Just try to find out if any examption for this ristriction. as I can find few houses in my neibourhood is doing the same extension as I mentioned and thier house has the same 7.5 setback as mine.

As they have the proper construction sign board bearing with BP no. and archtech/enginee company

erected beside the main gate.They should have gone thought the proper submission right?

Like these two house:

SANY0121.JPG

SANY0122.JPG

It is possible to obtain waivers for certain requirement, provided there are valid grounds for the officer to grant the waiver.

This is where an experienced architect value adds over a regular architect.

The 7.5m setback is a requirement to protect the streetscape, to ensure a V shaped appearance when looking down the road. That's why.. lvl 1.. is 2.4m for carporch and lvl 3...... the setback is increased to 8.5m.

If neighbouring houses already spoil the V shaped steetscape, then no point imposing this requirement on other houses. However, FSB requirement is still applicable.

Thanks Yoongf,

Like what can obtian waivers based on certain valid gound?, can quote same example?

Like what you said,-If my neibour is doing the extension whitin the 7.5M set back, does it mean I can

also obtain the approval to follow suit?

Another question hope you can give me some advice too. Like this extension work is under A and A work and as I know, can it be endorsed and submitted by engineer instead of archtech, if so, in the market, does the engineer charger come cheaper compare to archtech? as my archtech change me around 9K which not include the submision fee.

Not all engineers know how to solely handle submissions to URA and BCA, since usually.. is architect deal with URA, and engineer deal with BCA. But I understand some engineers have expanded their scope to handle URA submissions as well for A&A. Thus.. whether engineer can handle both submissions depends on engineer. I do believe that Engineering fees are underpriced, thus engineers as QP are typically more value for $$. However, I also believe.. that is u wanna really toe the line with the authorities.. an experienced architect is necessary.

There is something that most home owner do not realise.. is that.. BCA/URA approvals do not mean it complies fully with the existing reguations. The SOP is that the QP signs off that it complies fully with regulations. If after approval.. discover got problem.. QP cannot argue approval given, thus.. siam.

This suggests that there could be many things done that is not exactly compliant. If your QP submit and say neighbour can do it how come I can't, then.. BCA/URA may then impose on your whole neighbourhood to comply.. then.. u know how popular u will be. Thus.. I wld not recommend that u/QP quote a specific neighbour.

This is the actual DC guidelines used by professionals, possible waiver examples also mentioned inside. The previous link is for layman consumption.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dcdrhb_d0e4.htm

Sorry to ride on yr post...but I'm an idiot with this BCA/URA rules..However, I've had to crash course coz jus landed myself in hot soup! :sport-smiley-004:

I had exercised an option to purchase an inter terrace, but found out the high probability that it's modification of it's balcony into a rm requires approval from both authorities. This was ascertained after numerous checks with the relevant websites and calls to the parties.

However, upon legal inteference to get it regularised, the owner had refused and adamantly maintained that it wasn't necessary! What would my next option be here, short of doing it at my own expense after the completion of sale, which is 1.5 months away?

:)

I am pretty sure the S&P would say someting like buy it as is where is.. regardless of setback, road reserve, land acquisition, etc.

Thus.. cannot claim anything from the seller. But.. who is asking for it to be regularised?

Don't trouble Trouble unless Trouble troubles u.

Thanks for your reply, yoongf.

As the buyer, wouldn't I need i t to be regularised? My lawyer had advised that it may have some bearing on the house insurance? And in future, when I need to sell my hse?

I'm sorry, but I'm really ignorant on how serious the consequences will be of a non-regularisation. Can I opt to ignore it? I mean, based on your experience, has there been many occurrences whereby owner had gotten into trouble for this?

You can cancel the deal and get your $$ back if the seller cannot show that his changes were approved by URA/BCA. Quite standard terms and conditions, which are part of the searches your lawyer should do.

Thanks for your reply, yoongf.

As the buyer, wouldn't I need i t to be regularised? My lawyer had advised that it may have some bearing on the house insurance? And in future, when I need to sell my hse?

I'm sorry, but I'm really ignorant on how serious the consequences will be of a non-regularisation. Can I opt to ignore it? I mean, based on your experience, has there been many occurrences whereby owner had gotten into trouble for this?

The SOP is that the QP signs off that it complies fully with regulations. If after approval.. discover got problem.. QP cannot argue approval given, thus.. siam.

Since the QP sign off, doesn't it mean he got to resposible for what he submited? can he escape so easily? and how do I take precaution to prevent such a thing happened?

Since the QP sign off, doesn't it mean he got to resposible for what he submited? can he escape so easily? and how do I take precaution to prevent such a thing happened?

Yes.. the QP is the one taking all the responsibility, and if he boo boo too often, licence kena revoked = rice bowl affected. But there is a vast difference in experience among the QPs. Those very good in designing MRT tunnels/ condos, may not be well aquainted with landed A&A, so.. experience in similar project is important. Some engineers also tend to take the easy way out by using 1 template for all designs, resulting in huge pillars for a small extension.

In summary, get a QP with vast experience in similar projects. Do not save on consultancy, as the cost of a big pillar far exceeds an efficient design. Material costs are extremely high these days.