Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
osiris7777

Our First Reno Journey

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Week 3 to week 4

Tiling & wet work will commence and complete this week.

E advise us to ask our Aircon contractor to drill the hole for the trunking in our master toilet first before he proceed to do tiling work. Reason being if the aircon contractor were to drill the hole after tiling is completed, the vibration from the drilling might affect the tiles. So quickly call aircon contractor to arrange date for drilling otherwise cannot commence tiling.

Kitchen cabinet base completed

IMG_2981.JPGIMG_2982.JPGIMG_2983.JPG

1st hiccup of our journey

As I have mention earlier in my post, I will be having a dedicated power line direct from the MCB to bedroom 3 for my audio system, therefore will need to pull a cable from DB box to bedroom 3. By right I should have lay the cable first before we do cement screed so the cable can be buried underneath the cement. Since the cement screed has long been completed, E told me the only option is to hack a channel on the cement to lay the cable and patch up the channel :~

IMG_2988.JPG  IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2986.JPGIMG_2987.JPG

Order this cable from japan. 20m of solid core wire, stiff and thick... think my electrician must have a hard time bending and installing the cable :P

IMG_2849.PNG

Order this aluminum wall plate and receptacle from japan as well.

fgervwdcwe.JPGergsdcesv.JPG

Edited by osiris7777

12 minutes ago, Raylowwl said:

Hi,

Can share the tb link for the hifi rack, rain shower and the door handles?thanks.

Raymond

Hi,

Here you go

Hifi rack

https://world.taobao.com/item/13440128069.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-824478239.50.fJY4eF

Door handle

https://world.taobao.com/item/26066552255.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.ZNDHuT#detail

Rain shower

https://world.tmall.com/item/43082536333.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.Ey5JUD

Tiling & shower kerb completed

Common toilet

IMG_2878.JPGIMG_2952.JPG

Master Toilet

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

Left over floor tiles for toilet use to construct main door entrance. Decided to do step up instead of slope.

IMG_2993.JPG

2nd hiccup of the journey

During the period when tiling work were in progress, one fine day E send us these pictures.

IMG_2887.JPGIMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

Are you thinking what I am thinking...

Yes, ceiling water leakage at the master room. One near the window and one near toilet.

Upon seeing these pictures, wife being the more "kan cheong" type, while I am the more relax type (that's y we are together, kan cheong + relax = just nice Lol) immediately took time off from work and rush over to our place. Found out that our unit above were doing cement screed, causing ceiling to leak water. Does new bto do water proofing for the whole unit or only the toilet??? :huh: 

Anyway wife went over to BCS to complaint and the next day they sent their contractor to rectify the issue. We do not know what they did as we are not around to see when they came to rectify the issue but according to our tiler, they just put some compound over the affected area and repaint... Hopefully this issue were resolved. Finger crossed!

Edited by osiris7777

Aircon & L-box installation

We arrange for the aircon to be installed after the tiling work were completed cos E told us he will arrange for the L-box to be install soon.

Before we confirm our order with our aircon contractor, we went around asking for quote, comparing different model of aircon and the type of material they use for the installation.

I had bad experience with the aircon installation for my parent's house. They were using ME inverter starmex system and has been giving alot of problems with condensation and water leakage. Before that I was a noob and always though that it's the system problem. After talking to some aircon contractors and doing some research in the forum, realize that all these issues were mainly caused by using inferior parts and poor installation.

I get to know this aircon contractor through recommendation from some of the t-bloggers here.   

Basically I think his pricing is pretty competitive and also he is able to provide me with good advise on the type of material and the required btu to use. Most importantly what I heard from fellow t-bloggers is that their workmanship is pretty good.

ME Starmex Inverter Sys 4

1 x Mitsubishi Air Con Compressor 28,000 btu ( Model: MXY-4A28VA)

3 x Mitsubishi Air Con units 9,000 btu (Model :MSY-GE10VA ) for 3 bedrooms

1 x Mitsubishi Air Con units 18,000 btu (Model :MSY-GE18VA ) for living room

Material

0.5 inch CLASS "0" ARMAFLEX Insulation

Grade SWG 22 (0.71mm) copper piping

16mm drainage pipe with insulation

Singapore made premium grade control wire (Keystone)

Free site survey

2 times installation

Piping & drainage pipe at master toilet

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

Master room with L-box & trunking boxed-up

IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

Common room 2

IMG_2953.JPG

Common room 3

IMG_2955.JPG

Living room

IMG_2954.JPG

During the site survey, have a discussion with the installer and decided to run the trunking this way to minimise being seen.

L-Box Living room

IMG_2956.JPG

Uneven wall boxed-up living room

IMG_2992.JPG

Uneven wall boxed-up master room

IMG_2991.JPG

Edited by osiris7777

Shopping time!!!

Our reno are progressing quite smoothly except for a few hiccups. One fine weekend, we decided to go shopping for WC, kitchen sink, hob, hood, master toilet basin & storage heater.

Went to a few popular places recommended by fellow t-bloggers. After comparing the prices, we decided to buy from one of the shop at GL that offer pretty good pricing for those items we want.

Baron W888

Baron W888.jpg

Carysil big bowl in nera

nera.JPG

Fujioh SLM900 Hood

slm900.jpg

Fujioh FG2792 SVGL Hob

Fujioh hoob.JPG

Joven 25L storage heater

Joven.jpg

Master toilet square basin

Basin.jpg

After we are done with the purchase, since my wife mention that she got the shopping mood, so we decided to go look for electrical appliances.

LG 55" Super UHD 4K TV

tv.JPG 

Bosch Build-in oven

oven.JPG

Samsung 530L fridge

fridge.JPG

Samsung washing machine 7kg

washing machine.JPG

Wife is happy with all the items we have purchased but big big hole in pocket :~

Buying fan in JB

Alot of t-bloggers mention they bought their fan in JB which is much cheaper as compare with the price here in Singapore. Therefore it's a no brainer that we should also purchase our fan in JB. So the next day morning, we drove all the way to JB to buy our fan. I have not drove to JB for quite sometime and I didn't know that nowadays the weekend traffic going in to JB can be so bad... We were stuck in traffic for close to 2 hrs just to clear singapore and malaysia custom.

Luckily the return traffic was not as bad cos we decided to come out early to avoid the jam.

When singaporean go JB to buy fan, usually they will go to tampoi lighting. We decided not to go tampoi lighting cos their pricing is much higher as compare with other shops selling fan in JB. Our friend recommend us to this shop, HT lighting at Bandar Baru Permas Jaya instead. Indeed the pricing is cheaper by a few hundred ringgit as compare with Tampoi lighting for the same fan.

We purchased 2 fans, one for master room and one for living room.

Master room fan - White vento fino

fino 2 WH-600x600.jpg

Living room fan - Aeratron AE3 black

fan.JPG

When we finished our purchase, it's about lunch time therefore we scout around the area for our lunch. Found this korean restaurant and decided to give it a try. Was surprise to see some korean dinners inside the restaurant and I tell my wife, I think the food here should be good. Indeed the food is pretty good and affordable. We order their set lunch for 2 persons (RM$95) but couldn't finished all cos the set lunch consists of quite a few dishes. 

bbq.JPG

Fellow singaporean who drop by HT lighting to buy fan and love korean food, can give this restaurant a try :)

• Like 2

On 20 October 2016 at 7:40 PM, osiris7777 said:

Hi Totoro0268,

Tried to pm you but think ur mailbox is full :)

Hi, thank you for valuable info and your time given. Could u please share your shortlisted id/Contractors and also Taobao list n link... We are looking for reliable contractors for our resale hdb. Thanks in advance... 

19 hours ago, jjrenosoul said:

Hi, thank you for valuable info and your time given. Could u please share your shortlisted id/Contractors and also Taobao list n link... We are looking for reliable contractors for our resale hdb. Thanks in advance... 

Hi,

Pm sent.