Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
osiris7777

Our First Reno Journey

Shower Screen

We did not engage E to install our shower screen as we managed to get it at a good price from a glass contractor. Workmanship is acceptable but one of the wall tile in our master toilet crack when they drill the wall to install the door. :(

Common Toilet

IMG_3144.JPG  

Master Toilet

IMG_3147.JPG

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 10/19/2016 at 3:33 PM, osiris7777 said:

Contractor Selection - The choosen One

As you can see from the previous post, we have shortlisted 4 contractors.

1) Contractor N from R*******

2) Contractor K from H*O

3) Contractor E from C* R***

4) Contractor E from D* I*******

During the month of Aug, we did not meet up with any contractor. We have met up with all the ID /Contractor in the month of Jul and anyone who has gone through this stage will agreed with me that meeting different ID / Contractor and repeating the whole process again and again can be quite tiring. Wifey and I decided to give ourself a break and Aug will be our cool down period :yeah:

So in Aug, we decided we should do something different. As wifey is a Taobao addict, I decided to assign her what she like to do best. Source for items that we need for our new home at Taobao. As for myself, I will be taking care of all the electrical appliances, aircon and furniture. More to that later in my next post.

Although we are not in a hurry to move in cos we are staying with my parent but we wish to spend our CNY at our new home. So we plan to decide on which contractor to use in the month of Sep in order to move in before CNY. 

2nd Appointment & Viewing of their projects

Contractor E from C* R***

We have seen their project during our 1st appointment therefore we decided to skip this and meet J at his office. J has his own carpentry at his office and that could be the reason why the workmanship of his carpentry is so good. We are not taking loan for our reno therefore we have to strictly work within our budget. The inital quote was over our budget therefore in order to stay within our budget, we have to take out certain things. One of the thing that we took out and wifey is very reluctant is the overlaying of tiles for both toilet wall and floor. Final quote was a few hundred off our budget. After a few days of consideration, we decided to sign up with them and called J but wifey can be quite stubborn sometime, insist J revise the quote (discount $350) to meet our budget since she has already compromise on the overlaying of tiles. J refuse to match our budget and in the end wifey give in because we really like their carpentry work. We tried calling J & E the next day but both of them did not pick up. We were thinking they could be busy with their projects therefore we try again the next day. Same thing, no one pick up our call and not even a return call from them. In the end we decided to drop them cos we think they are not interested to take up our project.

Contractor K from H*O

Met up for 2nd appointment at his office. His office is nicely done and we get to see all the different type of material and laminate. Final quote was within our budget but same thing we have to take out the tiles overlaying. K is the only contractor that give us blum for our kitchen cabinet. We went to view his project and really like his flair for design. Although final quote is within our budget, wifey still couldn't get over the fact that we can't have the toilet overlay, therefore KIV.   

Contractor N from R*******

We met at one of his project, workmanship for carpentry is quite good but wifey pointed out that the tiling work is not up to her expectation. Final quote was within our budget and include overlaying of tiles for both toilet. Although we could overlay the toilet and keep it within our budget, we feel that we do not have the chemistry with N to see us through the reno for the next 2 months, therefore KIV.

Contractor E from D* I*******                

E is the last contractor we met out of the 4. Went to one of his project at Sengkang. Good workmanship for carpentry and tiling which wifey and I are pretty impress. We decided to go to his office to discuss on the final quote. Final quote is within our budget with overlaying of toilet tiles plus we get to choose the color for all internal PVC for carpentry instead of the usual white color which we don't like. We decided to sign on the spot with E and he was taken aback by our discussion :lol: We spend close to 3 hours looking at the different material and laminate and chit chatting.

Reasons we sign with E:

1. Chemistry - Easy to communicate with, he's quite easy going and we feel he's quite honest.

2. Acceptable workmanship - Wifey and I think that his workmanship is pretty good.

3. Reasonable quote - Within our budget and willing to compromise example certain things he forget to quote but give us FOC.

4. Contactable - He set up a group chat on the day we sign up and so far he always respond to our queries within an hour our within the same day if he's busy with other projects.

5. After sales - Can't really comment on this point but heard from some t-bloggers that some of his projects that he done 1 year ago having issues, he still take ownership.

Enough of all the long-winded writing, I shall be posting more pictures on the progress of our journey. Stay tune! :D

Lastly just to clarify that our experience with all the ID / Contractor is solely our own observation. Your mileage may vary. One man's meat is another man's poison :P

Hi, mind to pm me the contact of your shortlisted contractor E please? Very much appreciated. Thank you!

On 04/12/2016 at 10:27 PM, osiris7777 said:

Preliminary touch up and partial funishing

Since my last update sometime in Mid-Nov, things are moving at a snail pace. 

We are targetting to move in before year end therefore wife is getting impatient and start chasing E to complete the remaining work. Over the week, progress start to gather pace again. All lighting & electrical work completed, plumbing completed, kitchen glass backing installed, touching up of paint and finally cleaning was done and for the first time, we can walk bare footed in our home!

Change all socket & switch in kitchen to legrand mallia silver color

IMG_3100.JPG   

Glass panel and door installed

IMG_3102.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

Dinning light & Aeratron fan installed

IMG_3103.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

Common toilet

IMG_3105.JPG

TB vanity for common toilet

IMG_3107.JPG

Master toilet

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

Kitchen glass backing & kitchen faucet

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

Hi do you mind to share your aircon contractor? pipe trunking all concealed? thank you.

Hi! Your house is really nicely done up and I like it! Would you PM me who these four contractors are? And the reno cost as well?

2) Contractor K from H*O

Thank you!

On 30/12/2016 at 4:01 PM, Angieee said:

Hi, mind to pm me the contact of your shortlisted contractor E please? Very much appreciated. Thank you!

On 30/12/2016 at 11:59 PM, sweetberry said:

Hi @osiris7777 , mind sharing the scope of work and reno quote from Contractor E?

Many thanks in advance!

On 01/01/2017 at 4:12 PM, Larrylaw said:

Hi would like to know the contacts for your contractor as well. Thanks!

On 01/01/2017 at 8:24 PM, justjezz88 said:

Hi! Your house is really nicely done up and I like it! Would you PM me who these four contractors are? And the reno cost as well?

2) Contractor K from H*O

Thank you!

Hi,

All PM sent

On 28/12/2016 at 10:50 PM, osiris7777 said:

Shower Screen

We did not engage E to install our shower screen as we managed to get it at a good price from a glass contractor. Workmanship is acceptable but one of the wall tile in our master toilet crack when they drill the wall to install the door. :(

Common Toilet

IMG_3144.JPG  

Master Toilet

IMG_3147.JPG

Hi do you mind to share the contact of your glass contractor? Thank you.

On 12/28/2016 at 10:50 PM, osiris7777 said:

Shower Screen

Common Toilet

IMG_3144.JPG  

Master Toilet

IMG_3147.JPG

Hi, care to share the contractor contact for the shower screen door and the price of the screen door? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tony Choo

On 07/01/2017 at 10:28 AM, tanswe77 said:

thanks for sharing your journey.

popped you a PM to request for contacts!

On 08/01/2017 at 11:01 AM, Seira said:

Hi, could you PM me the contact details for Contractors E from C* R*** and  D* I******* ? TIA.

On 08/01/2017 at 7:15 PM, Ecnalx said:

Hi

Appreciate if you could PM me the contact for Contractors E from C* R*** and  D* I*******.

On 10/01/2017 at 3:45 PM, nettienette said:

Hi,

mind sending me your contractor contact @ nettienette@hotmail.com?

or PM me? thanks so much ! :)

On 10/01/2017 at 5:38 PM, sherli said:

Hi.. would you mind sharing the contact and quotes for Contractors E from C* R*** and  D* I*******?

Many many thanks!

On 10/01/2017 at 10:47 PM, Mannequin said:

Hi do you mind to share the contact of your glass contractor? Thank you.

On 10/01/2017 at 11:12 PM, Tony Choo said:

Hi, care to share the contractor contact for the shower screen door and the price of the screen door? Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

Sorry for the late respond.

All PM sent.