Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi All, i'm planning to start renovation for my resale 4 room HDB flat soon. 

Here is a quick summary of things i'm planning to do

• Hack and demolish everything
  • Living room - Install floor tiles, shoe cabinet, and a featured wall + TV mount
  • 3 bed rooms - Install floor tiles, new door, 2 built-in wardrobe, and 1 working/study table (to optimize space on bay window zzz)
  • Toilet - Install floor tiles, wall tiles, tempered glass, vanity counter, sink, toilet bowl, and new doors
  • Kitchen - Install floor tiles, cabinet + top, sink, hobs & hood
  • Painting
  • Abit of electrical work such as adding a few power points and etc
  • Chemical cleaning at the end of the project

I have spoken to a few IDs and main Contractors. Most IDs quoted me around $55k to $60k for my requirements, and contractors quoted me around $45k to $50k. ID usually provide more comprehensive services such as design and warranty (plus their marketing and store overheads), so i get why they are charging more.

However, i budgeted 40k for my renovation only, and i would hate to reduce my installations quality for cost savings. I'm about to explore the next option, which is to DIY my renovation by working with multiple sub contractors - 3D designer, hacking and demolishing contractors, tile installation, carpentry, toilet contractor, electrician, doors & windows installers, and cleaner. With my limited understanding on renovation, i came up with a list of pros and cons for DIY renovation, please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Pros of DIY renovation

• Further cost savings since i'll be managing the entire project by myself
  • Able to control my renovation time line better since i'll not be sharing a renovation team with other customers
  • Reduced risk on ID/contractor running away with my upfront bulk payment, or major dispute over a poor job done.

Cons of DIY renovation

• Need to spend more time to source for multiple reliable sub-contractors.
  • Need to spend more time researching and understanding every piece of work done by each sub con
  • Minimal professional assistance or guidance. I would assume that sub contractors know what they are doing in their on scope of expertise. However, they will not be communicating with other sub cons. This means that i may encounter unforeseen renovation issues and hiccups.

Anyone folks here have experienced DIY renovation for their HDB flat? How much cost savings can be achieved by NOT engaging an ID or main contractor? Any advice you can offer me on the diy approach? I'll share more about my cost comparison and findings later =) 

Edited by chunkiat

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 10/23/2016 at 4:19 AM, chunkiat said:

Hi All, i'm planning to start renovation for my resale 4 room HDB flat soon. 

Here is a quick summary of things i'm planning to do

• Hack and demolish everything
  • Living room - Install floor tiles, shoe cabinet, and a featured wall + TV mount
  • 3 bed rooms - Install floor tiles, new door, 2 built-in wardrobe, and 1 working/study table (to optimize space on bay window zzz)
  • Toilet - Install floor tiles, wall tiles, tempered glass, vanity counter, sink, toilet bowl, and new doors
  • Kitchen - Install floor tiles, cabinet + top, sink, hobs & hood
  • Painting
  • Abit of electrical work such as adding a few power points and etc
  • Chemical cleaning at the end of the project

I have spoken to a few IDs and main Contractors. Most IDs quoted me around $55k to $60k for my requirements, and contractors quoted me around $45k to $50k. ID usually provide more comprehensive services such as design and warranty (plus their marketing and store overheads), so i get why they are charging more.

However, i budgeted 40k for my renovation only, and i would hate to reduce my installations quality for cost savings. I'm about to explore the next option, which is to DIY my renovation by working with multiple sub contractors - 3D designer, hacking and demolishing contractors, tile installation, carpentry, toilet contractor, electrician, doors & windows installers, and cleaner. With my limited understanding on renovation, i came up with a list of pros and cons for DIY renovation, please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Pros of DIY renovation

• Further cost savings since i'll be managing the entire project by myself
  • Able to control my renovation time line better since i'll not be sharing a renovation team with other customers
  • Reduced risk on ID/contractor running away with my upfront bulk payment, or major dispute over a poor job done.

Cons of DIY renovation

• Need to spend more time to source for multiple reliable sub-contractors.
  • Need to spend more time researching and understanding every piece of work done by each sub con
  • Minimal professional assistance or guidance. I would assume that sub contractors know what they are doing in their on scope of expertise. However, they will not be communicating with other sub cons. This means that i may encounter unforeseen renovation issues and hiccups.

Anyone folks here have experienced DIY renovation for their HDB flat? How much cost savings can be achieved by NOT engaging an ID or main contractor? Any advice you can offer me on the diy approach? I'll share more about my cost comparison and findings later =) 

I guess for the bigger items, you are unable to DIY because that will  involved alot of sawing, sanding, cutting laminate, pasting laminate using tiger glue, etc.

Maybe smaller items suits DIY. example: wall mount key holder, can buy those display lettering block and glue with LED strip around its border to create the glow at night?

if i don't have that time to coordinate with all the sub con, i would rather leave the coordination to 1 person only. Afterall, we are not an experts in this industry and only the renovation company can foresee certain hiccups & know how to rectify those hiccups.

Hope this helps!