Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
47 minutes ago, flowerie123 said:

We are in similar situation! Moving nearer to kids' future sch and parents' place. Looking forward to ur reno!

Ps. u look familiar in the last pic! :lol:

hahaha.. the things we do for our kids:yeah:

familiar? in what way? come lets explore whether do we know each other.. :lol:

On 12/4/2016 at 11:36 AM, fifteenmay said:

House theme

before we set out to meet the ids, we had to come up with a theme to let the designer know our preferences.. so difficult to come with one theme that satisfies our needs and wants.. i want our house to look airy, cosy, bright and yet practical in design to withstand our clutter and junk for at least 10 years. 

I have been savings pictures from , pinterest etc and looking through my saved pictures, they all have the element of wood in them! In 2010, when we were doing up our first house, i was already into the woody theme but our designer came up with a modern theme for us with mirrors. neber knew i had so good foresight and my love for woody elements never wavered (as strong as the wood!:D). so this house i die die also want some wood elements! and  like everyone else, i m leaning towards grey as the accent colour...some pictures for inspiration,Une-touche-de-rose-à-San-Diego-FrenchyFancy-3.jpg

natural-interior-design1.jpg

but with wood elements means placing our house  in the widely popular scandinavian theme that everyone is adopting nowadays… so i hope and want to have some different elements to make the house “ours” and of course within our budget.

obstacle that come to my mind is that our existing marble floor  and parquet isn’t that scandinavian in nature.. but we shld be able to come up with a compromise or a design unique to our house..thankfully the marble floor is beige in colour so might blend with the wood elements. 

as for my husband, he doesn’t like clutter (but his wife aka me is a hoarder) so that makes him a minimalist? and he says happy wife equals to happy life.. he is a wise man indeed:rolleyes:

next up, meeting up with ids and their proposed design!

wow this theme, :good: very nice and smoothing.

You have very nice floor plan, i guess it's not easy to find such a good layout nowadays

On 12/1/2016 at 10:17 AM, fifteenmay said:

hey, still shortlisting my id :P once confirmed i will update

i'm also shortlisting, maybe we can share? grats on your new resale flat! next up, reno journey!

20 hours ago, fifteenmay said:

Haha... OLL indeed! So where r u moving to? Got blog for me to follow and get ideas ?

:yeah:

Back to Clementi :)

Haven't started one yet. Will update u if any. Long way to go.. still waiting for 1st appt haha

9 hours ago, Yang Guo said:

wow this theme, :good: very nice and smoothing.

You have very nice floor plan, i guess it's not easy to find such a good layout nowadays

thanks! dunno whether actual product can be 80% of the inspiration pic or not :P

ya we went to many houses before deciding on this one.

1 hour ago, flowerie123 said:

:yeah:

Back to Clementi :)

Haven't started one yet. Will update u if any. Long way to go.. still waiting for 1st appt haha

oh i rem the long wait for the 1st appt!:( my one i had to wait 90 days before i can submit for 1st appt then had to wait again for 1st appt! this flat better be worth the wait hahaha :lol:

5 hours ago, Mushiii said:

i'm also shortlisting, maybe we can share? grats on your new resale flat! next up, reno journey!

yes, will be updating the blog soon with my reviews on the ids i met.. we are meeting our confirmed id on wed to put the ink on the contract! scary.. its a lot of moola..hope our chosen id will give us a relatively smooth reno process.. :~

ID Selection (Still on going)

Our sellers seems to be quite reasonable people and though we agreed to wait for 90 days extension and 3 months extension, it seems like it is possible that we might get the keys earlier than the initial confirmed date. But its all KIV at the moment.will only know when they get their keys on 18 dec as to the date they can move.. But we started our id search already as we know that it might be a pretty long process and we dun want to waste any more time after we take over the hse.

Based on recommendations both from renotalk and

, we start the tiring process! Gambit! We also agreed to go the id way as we needed someone to consolidate our jumbled up ideas into a cohesive thing and also to act as a mediator between hubby and wife when required..:P

Sent a bunch of emails to various firms stating our initial requirements, started meeting them to go through and add on to the list of requirements before getting a quotation from them.. We even tried to find our old id who did our bto flat reno 6 years ago.. but she responded too late :unsure:

Oh My! we had actually thought that a budget of 35-40k was enough for our renovation since we do not need to do flooring for the living room and the 3 rooms but all the firms we meet, quotation all over 40k! :~ i even had a 64k quotation!! sigh, the hacking of kitchen and 2 toilets is taking a lot out from the budget. but these 3 items are a must do for us though.. so cannot siam…

Anyway, based on the recommendations, we met these firms:

Designer G

First id we met. as their firm is more established, she was more biz like in a way but still friendly and willing to take in our ideas. Gave sound suggestions and managed to make us see that some ideas that we had can be fine-tuned. shortlist second meeting to see their design though we know that they weren’t cheap. only id to show a mood board or what would it look like at our second meeting however quote came back sky high..lol.. dropped as we were not the right customers for them money wise...

Designer A

A was approachable, also gave sound feedback and he came back with 2 quotations. one was within the 40k budget but minus the stuff that he think we can diy or buy off the shelf to fit within the budget and another quotation with all our requirements that came up to 45k. hubby like him but wifey felt that chemistry was little off.. kiv

Designer H

H had a alternative proposal for our master bedroom  design but on second thought seem to be bit impractical. hubby din feel the chemistry with him and his quote came out to be 60k plus! Dropped due lack of chemistry and quotation had some items that we mentioned we din wan e.g. false ceiling.

Designer F

straightforward but in a nice way and gave us an alternative design for our kitchen. i can imagine how big my living room and kitchen wld have looked in his design.. :wub:swoon but sigh.. his proposed design would have suited us if we did not have kids..  quote was on the higher end of our budget also.. had to drop.

Designer An 

I had most chemistry with An and his trainee b. was able to joke with them and hubby said i was the most corny with them.. hahaha. An is very straightforward.. tell me he can see i am very fickle minded… but i made them change quotations many times and they were willing to do so so his judgement of me is right lol. quote was quite reasonable.. one of the lower quotes but inclusive of everything we wanted..top 2 in our list

Designer Am 

had a good session with AM as well.. was friendly and showed us his carpentry work. was very through with his explaining. only con is that first session he mentioned that must pay 1k to see 3d… but he wasn’t pushy when we said that we were seeing other ids at the moment and din wan to commit. quote also reasonable but omitted some items to meet our budget.Top 2 in our list. 

next up, our id choice after meeting 6 ids! i realised that most ids i met has the initial of A.. :yeah:

can you guess which id we went with? :lol:

in the end, Id An came up with the most competitive quote for us and he won us over with his straightforward yet knowledgable manner. his team was willing to change our quotation many times as we added and took out some stuff. he also wasn't pushy on us signing and gave us plenty of time to decide. he also told us that he did not earn a lot from our project lol...whether is it sales talk or not, we bought it..:rolleyes: quotation wise, he gave us the most items within the budget such as vanity cabinets and kids cupboard that we had to take out in other id's quotation as it couldn't fit the budget. Electrical and plumbing is included in the quotation.

what impressed us most was on the day we went to sign, he told us he spent money to buy our floor plan from hdb as our floor plan we gave him was taken off the internet.. and he upfront told us that he foresee quite a few problems with the design he proposed earlier. he then came up with an alternative plan which suited us. i thought that was honest of him to do so as he cld have just let us sign and then tell us the problem when it happens halfway during renovation and this would become additional cost that we would not have foresee.. so thumbs up for An...

signed the contract on wed and was sent home with two thick books of laminates, door brochures to choose! Id An's way is that we give him our chosen laminates and then he would incorporate these into the 3d.  this is where the headache starts! so many options!

a sample of what is in our quotation

Design Services

Interior design and space planning

Furniture layout plan

Perspective carpentry drawing

Selection of color, material and accessories

Consultation and project management

Site co-ordination and supervision

Decoration advice

Hacking Work / Removal / Preliminaries

To provide labour for haulage inclusive of uploading of materials

HDB Permit or Renovation Deposit if any

To remove all existing door

To remove all existing sanitry ware

To hack off existing all capentry work for whole house

To provide labour / material for Acid Cleaning to Whole House

To lay corrugated paper for floor protection to Whole House

To hack off existing wall in between Living & dining area only

To hack off existing kitchen half height L-shape wall @ kitchen entrance only

To hack off existing kitchen & service yard floor tile only

To hack off existing floor tiles @ Master & Common bathroom

To apply chipping off existing wall tiles for screed @ Kitchen only

To hack off existing wall @ Master & Common bathroom

To hack off existing cornices for whole house

supply labour and material to construct 5ft x 3.5ft half height box up @behind sofa

Wet Works / Tiles / Make-Good / Cement screed base / Plaster

Supply labour & material to make-good on affected flooring @ Living only

Supply labour & material to make-good on affected wall @ kitchen entrance

Supply labour & material to lay Homogenous (30 x 60) wall tiles @ Master & Common Bathroom only

Supply labour & material to lay Homogenous (30 x 60) floor tiles @ Master & Common Bathroom only

Supply labour & material to lay Homogenous floor tiles @ kitchen only

Supply labour & material to lay Homogenous floor tiles & level up with living @ Balcony

Supply labour & material to lay Homogenous floor tiles @ Service yard

Supply labour & material to construct new fridge / kitchen base / washer base with tiles @ Kitchen only

Supply labour & material to construct new shower kerb bases with full tiles @ Master & common bathroom

Supply labour & material to apply water proffing membrane screed base for plaster @ kitchen wall only

Supply labour & material to plaster smooth wall & ceiling @ Kitchen

Plumbing Works / Painting / Polishing / Plaster / Bi-fold Door / Glass Door / Sliding Door / Glass backing

Supply labour to install 2 sets of Toilet accessories

Supply labour to install 2 nos. toilet sitting bowl & Shower Mixer, Spray Jet , Basin & Taps

Supply labour & material to run (2 no. )piping ( cold water piping only )

Supply labour to install ( 2 no. ) instant heater only

Supply labour to install 1 nos. of kitchen sink & taps

Supply labour & material to paint whole house wall & ceiling ( Dulux ICI wear & wash)

Supply labour & material to paint all sweage pipe ( Dulux ICI wear & wash )

Supply labour & material to paint ( 4 nos ) of room door / main door frame

Supply labour & material to paint wall & ceiling @ kitchen ( Dulux ICI weather bond paint )

Supply labour & material to polish existing marble flooring @ living / dining / passage way only

Supply labour & material to polish existing parquet @ all bed room only

Supply labour & material to install Bi-Fold Door @ Common Bathroom & Store room only

Supply labour & material to install (3 no.) veneer door @ all bed room

Supply labour & material to install swing frameless frosted glass door @ Master Bathroom only

Supply labour & material to install powder coat white Alu frame swing door & fix panel @ Kitchen only

Supply labour & material to install temper glass fix panel shower sceen @ Master bathroom

Supply labour & material to install 4ft toilet lourve panel @ Master bathroom

Supply labour & material to install 2ft toilet lourve panel @ Common bathroom

Supply labour & material to install iron gate @ living only

Supply labour & material to plaster smooth whole house

Supply labour & material to install tempered glass backing @ kitchen partial wall only

Carpentry Works

Custom made 4ft Shoes cabinet c/w ABS triming & laminate finish @ Living only

Custom made 2ft Altar cabinet c/w ABS triming & laminate finish @ Living only

Custom made 7.5ft full height feature & suspended TV console c/w ABS triming & laminate finish @ Living

Custom made 6ft full height storage display cabinet c/w ABS triming & laminate finish @ Living only

Custom made 26ft bottom Kitchen cabinet c/w ABS triming & laminate finish @ Kitchen only

Supply labour & material to install 26ft Kompacplus kitchen table top @ Kitchen

Custom made 10.5ft top Kitchen cabinet c/w ABS triming & laminate finish @ Kitchen only

Custom made 2ft full height kitchen cabinet @ kitchen only

Custom made 4.5ft bottom vanity cabinet c/w ABS triming & laminate finish @ Master toilet

Supply labour & material to install 4.5ft soild surfce for vanity top @ Master toilet

Custom made 4.5ft top vanity storage cabinet with mrirro c/w ABS triming & laminate finish @ Master toilet

Custom made 5ft full height casement wardrobe c/w ABS trimming, laminate finish @ Bedroom 2 only

Custom made 12.5ft full height wardrobe & TV console c/w ABS trimming, laminate finish @ Master Bed only

Electrical Cost

Supply labour & material to run new FRIDGE / WASHER / HOOD / MIRCOWAVE / OVEN

Supply labour & material to run new SCV x 1 / AIR-CON x 1 / HEATER x 2 / DB BOX x 1 / TELEPHONE x 1

Supply labour & material to run expose new lighting point with casement ( 15 nos )

Supply labour to install 15 nos lighting fitting @ whole house

Supply labour to install 3 ceiling fan point @ Living / Master room / Girl room area only

Supply labour & material to run new double power point socket (13amp) - 16 nos

Edited by fifteenmay

On 12/4/2016 at 11:36 AM, fifteenmay said:

House theme

before we set out to meet the ids, we had to come up with a theme to let the designer know our preferences.. so difficult to come with one theme that satisfies our needs and wants.. i want our house to look airy, cosy, bright and yet practical in design to withstand our clutter and junk for at least 10 years. 

I have been savings pictures from , pinterest etc and looking through my saved pictures, they all have the element of wood in them! In 2010, when we were doing up our first house, i was already into the woody theme but our designer came up with a modern theme for us with mirrors. neber knew i had so good foresight and my love for woody elements never wavered (as strong as the wood!:D). so this house i die die also want some wood elements! and  like everyone else, i m leaning towards grey as the accent colour...some pictures for inspiration,Une-touche-de-rose-à-San-Diego-FrenchyFancy-3.jpg

natural-interior-design1.jpg

but with wood elements means placing our house  in the widely popular scandinavian theme that everyone is adopting nowadays… so i hope and want to have some different elements to make the house “ours” and of course within our budget.

obstacle that come to my mind is that our existing marble floor  and parquet isn’t that scandinavian in nature.. but we shld be able to come up with a compromise or a design unique to our house..thankfully the marble floor is beige in colour so might blend with the wood elements. 

as for my husband, he doesn’t like clutter (but his wife aka me is a hoarder) so that makes him a minimalist? and he says happy wife equals to happy life.. he is a wise man indeed:rolleyes:

next up, meeting up with ids and their proposed design!

Like this colour tone, good taste!

2 minutes ago, my3rmflat said:

Like this colour tone, good taste!

thanks! but after choosing my laminates, my kitchen is looking more brown than grey now.. :unsure:

and my living room can't reach this colour tone too.. :angry: