Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ptjw

HDB floor->ceiling noise transmission

Hi all, I hope this is the correct category to post this:

Basically I'm the owner of a relatively new BTO flat together with my wife and we got our keys mid last year and moved into our house in feb this year after renovation was done. We had cement screed floor done for the whole house (bedrooms/living room) except toilet and kitchen and this was done by HDB contractor (appealed successfully for cement screeding + top up). 

Everything was going well for a few months until we were notified by our downstairs neighbor every few weeks that we are making 'a lot of noise' when all we did was walk from a bedroom to the kitchen, or generally inside the MBR. We were also told by our neighbor that we were slamming doors when this was not the case..

Our neighbor has came up several times over the few months we have been staying there to inform us (nicely) that we are disturbing their peace when all we have been doing is walk around.. so we finally arranged a day where one of us went downstairs to their house while one of us stayed upstairs to walk and hear for ourselves and true enough we have to admit it was pretty audible.. even when walking lightly (toes first and not heel first). Then we tried closing the toilet doors and this was also very audible for the unit downstairs. The worst part was when my neighbor also mentioned that he can hear when I put the toilet seat down.. and true enough when we tried putting the seat down (not slamming it down) we could hear a "clunk" from downstairs where it was very obvious that someone put the toilet seat down.

We were aghast at hearing this for ourselves, and my neighbor included as they went up to see and walk around for themselves when they realized we were not intentionally stomping our feet or slamming the doors.

I'm not sure if it is the combination of the cement screed + their false ceiling that is amplifying the noise so much.. I don't hear the same volume of noise from my neighbor upstairs except for the occasional dropping of items and I have never heard my upstairs neighbor walking excessively loud, closing a door or putting a toilet seat down. 

The cement screed was done by HDB contractors so I don't know if there was anything that could have reduced the transmission of noise downwards to the downstairs unit. Their false ceiling is hollow (as are most) and might be amplifying the noise.. but I find it highly unreasonable that I can't even walk normally in my house without every step being heard by the unit downstairs.

I'm not sure what can be done at this stage.. even if we do raise this up with HDB, what are the physical steps that can be taken to reduce this noise transmission? I don't have a false ceiling installed so I'm not sure if having one actually amplifies noises from upstairs, does anyone have any experiences regarding excessive noises coming from your upstairs neighbors with/without false ceiling installed in your home?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Can hardly imagine what you are saying is real.

Maybe your neighbor's false ceiling is indeed amplifying the slightest noise but even the sound of putting toilet seat down can be heard is unimaginable?

But since your neighbor also agree that you are not creating excessive noise, best to raise this with HDB and invite them to come & listen and see what they have to say. Your unit is within in the 'warranty' period.

Edited by w7_lee

Yes, looks like we have to contact HDB about this.. we could hardly believe it ourselves as well but this was indeed the case. Not sure what can the 'warranty' cover as well.. one to one exchange? :rolleyes: 

Not sure even if they stuff Rockwool into the false ceiling spaces whether it will reduce the noise but then the toilets do not have false ceilings.. can't think of a solution at the moment.. will write to HDB and see what they say but in the meantime I also would like to know if others have similar issues as us.. where your 'noisy' neighbor upstairs isn't actually trying to make so much noise but everything is amplified somehow..

29 minutes ago, w7_lee said:

Can hardly imagine what you are saying is real.

Maybe your neighbor's false ceiling is indeed amplifying the slightest noise but even the sound of putting toilet seat down can be heard is unimaginable?

But since your neighbor also agree that you are not creating excessive noise, best to raise this with HDB and invite them to come & listen and see what they have to say. Your unit is within in the 'warranty' period.

hi. any update on this noise issue? im staying in a 15th floor bto, my neighbor at 16th floor just like u, exactly the same  situation as you are now, we just did the walking 3 days ago, and they hear for themself, we have contacted the bsc, the supervisor just came over to hear for himself, he said he will feedback to his manager tomolo. hope u have a solution yrside now. do share with me. tks. 

• Sad 1

hi,  can I know what is ur outcome  aft the Hdb bsc responded?  I am in same situation as u and I'm stucked. Pls kindly advise and guide me what to do as I've emailed back,  Hdb to check and they totally ignored. :(

1 hour ago, Birthstone said:

hi,  can I know what is ur outcome  aft the Hdb bsc responded?  I am in same situation as u and I'm stucked. Pls kindly advise and guide me what to do as I've emailed back,  Hdb to check and they totally ignored. :(

write to BSC, write to HDB. give them 3 working days to reply. if never reply, write in to strait times forum then HDB sure will respond.

• Like 1

government agencies have to respond within 3 working days to emails.

if you write to ST forum and your letter is published, confirm will get a reply from HDB. Or can contact TNP or the Chinese news papers and see if they are interested to do an article on the issue. HDB will surely respond once the thing gets blown up.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2017 at 11:32 PM, GWScarson said:

hi. any update on this noise issue? im staying in a 15th floor bto, my neighbor at 16th floor just like u, exactly the same  situation as you are now, we just did the walking 3 days ago, and they hear for themself, we have contacted the bsc, the supervisor just came over to hear for himself, he said he will feedback to his manager tomolo. hope u have a solution yrside now. do share with me. tks. 

Bsc came, and walked into my neighbours and my flat and said he "visual check" only. No instruments, no papers, ntg. Basically walk ard n see. See what also don't know. Said will report to office. How to check like that?? Or wayang only. Haizzxxx

Im facing the same issue in 2021 for a new BTO. 

If so many are experiencing this, shouldnt hdb and BSC look into the construction methods? 

Are there any updates for your case? 

Edited by Chrismax
Updates