Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Have received summit quotation, very reasonably priced and in fact it is the cheapest. May need to requote again as there were changes to our requirement and design. On the other hand we felt has been too busy after his wife gave birth, so not sure if he still want our business since our reno is not a "big" one. Dun want to pressure him to take up our project also lah.. Shall see how..So far his service is not bad. Would highly recommend him!

Edited by Leyenda

Hi all,

My wife and I also did our new house (sengkang BTO flats) with Summit Design after a brief comparison with other firms like:

1- Chew Interior
2- Classi_ Idea_ cannot spell out fully
3- D'Trenzo
4- NorthW--- cannot spell out fully
5- A n D Design (serangoon road i think)
6- Mr Toh From Chng Poh Guan contractor (if never remember wrongly, he is the one that will camp around bto flats and ambush ppl like us)

I'm known by my friends to be a very cost-cautious (or rather NIAO) person, and the services/items i can get wil always be the best among my circles of friends, of course renovation must also get the most worthy firm. Worthy Does Not mean the cheapest, quality and service comes into consideration also.

Deciding Factors to award Summit Design the contract
1- Review from renotalk was good
2- They have aftersales warranty of 5 years! most only offer 2 years.
3- Quotation is reasonably competitive
4- I.D *** rapport with us was good

We were referred by our friend to her designer *** from Summit Design. After talks with quite a few id, *** came across as a sincere id that will not really charge you more items/services for the sake of more comm. (of course he will try to encourage add-ons like wallpapers but we do not felt pushy for not taking up, which i feel is very important since the house decison should be made by us and not by the id).

I believed *** will have good rapport with young couples like us (I'm 27) for his communication and services. His quotation to us was prompt and this gave us more time to determine if his quotation was good enough for me.

Total contract for reno was around $18+k, rough breakdown as below

1- false ceiling
2- feature wall 7 feet
3- painting 4 rm flat
4- 1 L-shaped wardrobe
5- Tv console 7 feet
6- shoe cabinet
7- kitchen solid surface with island top
8- misc items like labour, shower kerb glass door etc...

Like I say earlier on, I do not go for the cheapest so some of you may feel you can get a better quote for the above items, but in my opinion, combine with service and warranty period, this is the best I can find that time.

Reno for the whole house takes about 6-7 weeks and i would say not much of an issue with the renovation. Some minor touch ups for the painting only.

*** would also promptly address our issues (even if it does not really concern him within the quotation) and delegates the tasks to his team of workers who are also friendly and serious in their work (I merely asked them to drill holes into the wall to facilitate my installation of IKEA Cabinet but end up the team helped me to install the cabinets ( x 2) and used their better quality screw, advising me that the screws i provided them may not be durable for long term usage, when it is really not their problem I must say.

After completion of my house, my friend also went to ask for *** quotation for her new house and she also ended up taking up with Summit Design and *** services, so if u guys are considering using summit design, I would recommend *** for his services and dedication to your new house reno.

Happy Quotation Hunting!

Hi Rechard,

Do you have photo of ur new house? Can send me?
I'm looking for contractor/ID too for my new house.
4rm BTo.
is urs BTo or resale flat?

Have received summit quotation, very reasonably priced and in fact it is the cheapest. May need to requote again as there were changes to our requirement and design. On the other hand we felt that ID has been too busy after his wife gave birth, so not sure if he still want our business since our reno is not a "big" one. Dun want to pressure him to take up our project also lah.. Shall see how..So far his service is not bad. Would highly recommend him!

Hi Rachel,

Care to share your quotation as well?
Is urs bto or resale flat? 4-rm?

I might be going down to summit design this wkend to get my quotation too.

Hello Fellow Summit members,

Yes, my house is one of the projects handled by Summit and none other than James Chew. Like everyone my wife & myself went to source for many IDs/Contractors. They include Weiken, Ideal House, Ciseern, Image, Artrend, etc. Some replied with the quote, while some bo chap us, some 'requested' us to visit their show-room, etc (maybe our budget is too low)

At that time, my wife is pregnancy & we happened to visit Summit office; maybe that's part of the reason why we pick this ID. And Ideal House may be our next choice if not for the gst; and that lady is Plenfel.

I can say James is a very accomodating & patience guy, he gives us his design & we have our & we keep changing. Actually I am easy but maybe not for my wife tongue.gif

Most of the design 99%, I leave it to my wife to see what she wants. This is what my ex-coy colleagues fathers had advised me. Leave the design concept to your wife and in future you will not hear any complains.My wife is very picky or should I say she put plan ahead for our baby. Hahaha

Often if there are any changes, I will meet James & update her (waiting for her approval). Thus this delay much time. But he did not show slight hint of unpleasantness. Often I make him to come over our place so that my wife & myself can discuss with him easily due to our baby. Therefore most of the time, my wife did not meet him. Well, I can say that James is a responsive person and could reach him by phone late at night.

I heard he is doing a port folio or something like that. I believe my house design is about the same as other young couples whereby having open-concept kitchen, bar-counter, false ceiling, etc.

We have half-open concept kitchen with half-glass build due to baby's concern. So that we can see kid if we are in kitchen. Unfortunately, we did not have a nice dinner light which is strongly recommended to beautify the living room because right now we do not intend to have dinner table. Perhaps we will eat outside, infront tv, in-law/parents place. Thus for that portion, we only have 2 downlights. Perhaps in next 5 yr, we will have one. Then we will cover up the 2 downlights.

to be cont...

My ID is James Chew too... Renovation works haven't start as we're still waiting for HDB to rectify the defects thus can't comment too much yet. But so far, found him very easy to work with... I also ask him to meet us at our new place for appointments before we even confirm him and he comes down readily... A service that we appreciate a lot...

i'm glad there are so many new home owners here. so stunned to see my 95 sqm flat for the 1st time, need a real good ID to create my ideal spacious, modern home. appreciate it if someone can pm me James Chew ctcs pl. Thnx in advance =)

Hello fellow renovation gurus! Just to check with you guys, have anyone encountered the issue of an ID from SDS who requires 3 weeks to draw up a 3D drawing?

I was wondering if it is due to the busy schedule (CNY approaching) as it seems a bit weird to take that long.

Have anyone encountered this before/facing this issue right now? :unsure: :unsure:

Edited by Quartz

Anybody heard of Sheldon from SDS?

I've gotten a quote from sheldon. Quite a nice guy to talk with

Yeah. Same here. Very nice guy to speak with and very accommodating to requests. can tell that he is still quite new to the business too but that doesn't compromised with his product knowledge. I will personally recommend him, but lol can only know more when I start my renovation soon... ^_^

Hello fellow renovation gurus! Just to check with you guys, have anyone encountered the issue of an ID from SDS who requires 3 weeks to draw up a 3D drawing?

I was wondering if it is due to the busy schedule (CNY approaching) as it seems a bit weird to take that long.

Have anyone encountered this before/facing this issue right now? :unsure: :unsure:

Mine took about 2 weeks also...