Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lauyijun

Flooring Option

Hi,

Its my first post here in Renotalk.

I hope this queries there would be interior designers that can help advice. I just met on ID yesterday. I requested that I don't want floor skirting in my house cos i want my house to be minimalist theme and skirting kinda make my furniture not able to flush to the wall which overtime will accumulate a lot of dust.

So the ID suggested that i do Vinyl flooring. But from all the internet research the vinyl sound very hospital feel to me like is soft and squishy. I have been living in a house laid with granite for 16 years and i am fine with the cold hard flooring but homogenous tile doesn't allow me to do without skirting and as heard from ID tiles would cost more for the installation. 

Can someone advice which would be better or people using vinyl for a while what is your view?

And another thing is i wanted sliding doors for my room. But it seems that the ID i met is quite against it. His take is that the tracks will accumulate dust and if it is a top track the door might crack if knock against it too hard while sliding. Anyone did sliding door for their rooms?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 12/21/2016 at 10:00 AM, lauyijun said:

Hi,

I hope this queries there would be interior designers that can help advice. I just met on ID yesterday. I requested that I don't want floor skirting in my house cos i want my house to be minimalist theme and skirting kinda make my furniture not able to flush to the wall which overtime will accumulate a lot of dust.

So the ID suggested that i do Vinyl flooring. But from all the internet research the vinyl sound very hospital feel to me like is soft and squishy. I have been living in a house laid with granite for 16 years and i am fine with the cold hard flooring but homogenous tile doesn't allow me to do without skirting and as heard from ID tiles would cost more for the installation. 

Can someone advice which would be better or people using vinyl for a while what is your view?

And another thing is i wanted sliding doors for my room. But it seems that the ID i met is quite against it. His take is that the tracks will accumulate dust and if it is a top track the door might crack if knock against it too hard while sliding. Anyone did sliding door for their rooms?

There are a lot of ways to clean it though. They should be accomodating what you want

Hello,

I am Logan Rivera. I am also a newbie to this forum. It is your house and you are the one who is going to live in it so design it according to your own wish.

Sliding doors are a variety. It will give a new look to your house.

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 10:00 AM, lauyijun said:

Hi,

Hi Yi Jun, ID here.

Alternatively, you can try companies like Evorich HERF flooring. Many ppl mistaken it as vinyl flooring but HERF (High End Resilent Flooring) is made of materials that looks and feels like wood on the surface. It is easy to install as it is click join and is lifetime warranty, United States patented. Hope this solves your concern of having chemical smell in vinyl flooring. You can ask other companies like TLG  (the floor gallery etc). 

Skirting can be versatile depends on the way you want to design your house, as a minimalist design approach, minimal skirting looks good.

I suppose your sliding doors are wooden doors? If it is wooden sliding doors, it is okay for use, however, your track might get 'jammed' with the door connector in the long run, hence i suggest you should apply lubricant regularly(weekly is fine), to ease the sliding effort. 

There are a lot of different flooring materials available in the market nowadays.  It's very important that we choose the right wood flooring materials to prevent future flooring problems. We must read different types of flooring review and their uses at my company, learn from other client's experience so we can choose the right quality.

Hi,

You can try to do more research on a new type of flooring material call SPC which is it not soft and squishy as it is made from Stone and Polymer Composite to decrease the chemical smell in traditional vinyl flooring as it is mixed with "stone powder". More stable and durable comparing to 100% plastic/rubber. They also have those click design that is waterproof. Good for minimalist theme style. currently i only see NewSpace Flooring carry this product.

On 12/21/2016 at 10:00 AM, lauyijun said:

Hi,

I have bad experience with vinyl. Better to stick with traditional tiles. Even though it may be more expensive. 

vinyl flooring is actually pretty good, but of course you have to be selective as there are some not so good quality in the market.. best to find a one-stop and reputable place that carries many brands of flooring to check first before making a decision.