Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanYTH

Looking for feedback on the 3D design of my HDB BTO 2 room 35sqm (Type 1) flat

On 4/10/2017 at 0:09 AM, ryanyth said:

Hey rufus thanks for your reply to the thread. It's all good just discussing about ideas and throwing it around. Nice to see a cat lover too :)

Indeed due to small size need to sacrifice alot. Queen bed I think still can tho. Do try out this planner 5d software and please feel free to use my floor plan as template and modify to anything you like if you want. I really dun mind.

I was like u also clueless other then a vague idea and using this software really let me see my idea appear and more ideas happen with valuable inputs from everyone in this thread as to what is practical.

Looking forward to your design! :)

i seriously suck at this 5D planner.. hahaha.. end product was worst den a 5 year old drawing... :(

my vision not that difficult..  i need quite a distance from sofa to tv coz i want a 55 inch tv (i cannot downgrade since i am used watching tat size)

so my living room.. must have sofa ( 1-2 seater can already), 55 inch TV, a glass showcase for my shotglass collection. 

bed room - queen size bed, a wardrobe (really don't like the idea of having it in living room) - have to sacrifice vanity dresser as no space.. must make up in toilet liao.. lol

toilet (bathtub is nice to have.. but i think i aim asking for too much... just need a wet and dry area.. since will double up as my vanity dresser.. don't like a wet floor when getting ready..

see..  i am just a simple person... but my hse size just too small .. T_T 

didn't even mention kitchen coz break my heart to see such a small area.. haizz..

e.jpg

Edited by RuFus58

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
4 hours ago, RuFus58 said:

i seriously suck at this 5D planner.. hahaha.. end product was worst den a 5 year old drawing... :(

my vision not that difficult..  i need quite a distance from sofa to tv coz i want a 55 inch tv (i cannot downgrade since i am used watching tat size)

so my living room.. must have sofa ( 1-2 seater can already), 55 inch TV, a glass showcase for my shotglass collection. 

bed room - queen size bed, a wardrobe (really don't like the idea of having it in living room) - have to sacrifice vanity dresser as no space.. must make up in toilet liao.. lol

toilet (bathtub is nice to have.. but i think i aim asking for too much... just need a wet and dry area.. since will double up as my vanity dresser.. don't like a wet floor when getting ready..

didn't even mention kitchen coz break my heart to see such a small area.. haizz..

simple... -_-"

55 inch tv seriously is toooo big! go for smaller one for the good of your eye sight. human being are flexible one u know :P 

your kitchen bigger than mine lor...

12 hours ago, RuFus58 said:

First of all, wow due to your name, i didn't realize you were female,
so when you say Vanity Dresser, i was abit stun. :D

Actually, for small 35sqm apartments like us, one can either see it as "Glass Half Full, or Glass Half Empty".
House that some interpret as small, others can interpret as cosy.
Problems that bigger apartments have, may be easier to solve with a smaller apartment
(Eg: Aircon will be much easier to cool a smaller rather then larger space.)

Lets go thru your concerns you have here:

1) You want 55 inch TV, for me i want 65 inch TV:D Distance wise, don't be afraid to go down Courts or Harvey Norman,
find an actual 55 inch then measure distance where you might sit. Our living room may be small, but its not as small as you think.
After going to several IDs, the general consensus is 50-55 inch is ideal, 65 inch still can do, but very subjective. So yours should be ok.

2) If really must wardrobe in bedroom, instead of the typical boxy wardrobe look, why not think out of the box abit, and have a hanging style like this picture below?
Certainly looks super unique and can give a WOW factor when visitors visit your house. Depending how you design, it can even act as a partition.
VS7A9882-21.jpg

3) Vanity Dresser again need not be the stereotypical boxy type with mirror.
Something like this would look unique and cool. Can be vanity dresser, can also be study table.
modern-bedroom-vanity-dressing-table.jpg

4) Toilet put bathtub is something I also want, but I need to be realistic also due to our small space.
Will also need to consider the increased price if put bathtub. This is unfortunately a hard fact that sometimes sacrifice may be needed.
Vanity mirror in the toilet is not unheard of, but is whether you feel comfortable or not. (Some people may die die not want because they think toilet is super dirty)
Who knows maybe you put vanity dresser in toilet, sekali you like leh?

5) Kitchen wise, yes its small, but you need to see how often you cook, also what type of cooking you do.
Are you a frequent cook? Do you cook western style? Chinese style? Is induction cooker modern look nice?
Or do you like to have gas cooker with big fire for chinese wok cooking?
Counter space is another factor need to consider. Place is very small, then why not make your OWN counter space.
For me, my solution for more counter-space is for a dining cart (which dual function as storage, and i love that its portable so i can move it anywhere)
You might want to have slide-in slide out to create more counter space like the one below. (Of course it will cost more)
2aamqs7.jpg

End of the day, this is your apartment, YOU decide what you want.
Cannot draw, nevermind. Go internet or magazines save photos of designs and decors that particularly catch your eye.
Compile a list of designs or colour style decor you like and save them.
One fine day go thru all of them and slowly have a mental picture of what you want.
That way, when you go ID, you know what you want instead of the ID guessing what you want.

Then again ID job is to help u design even if u completely no idea. It helps expedite the process of course if u have at least a vague idea instead of everything let ID decide.

Sorry for typing so much lol! :D
Hope it helps. Please feel free to discuss, thats what the forum is for also :D

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, mmoh said:

simple... -_-"

55 inch tv seriously is toooo big! go for smaller one for the good of your eye sight. human being are flexible one u know :P 

your kitchen bigger than mine lor...

Lol... Really simple la..  Why that expression... Hahaha...

55 inch,,  seems big only.. Even go courts see.. Like very big rite.... Coz their setting is like that in shops.. But actually when place at home and put a sofa few feets being... Really not that big.. Trust me... :P

I think for you, the toilet door at kitchen also.. So that area cannot put kitchen cabinet..  I still find mine small compared to my parents hse, now..  No choice,, must learn to adapt..

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, ryanyth said:

First of all, wow due to your name, i didn't realize you were female,
so when you say Vanity Dresser, i was abit stun. :D

opps... My nickname do cause some confusion.. Am so used to using my doggie's name as nickname for everything..  Lol.. Hope never stun like vegetable... Hahahaha...

Actually, for small 35sqm apartments like us, one can either see it as "Glass Half Full, or Glass Half Empty".
House that some interpret as small, others can interpret as cosy.
Problems that bigger apartments have, may be easier to solve with a smaller apartment
(Eg: Aircon will be much easier to cool a smaller rather then larger space.)

Lets go thru your concerns you have here:

1) You want 55 inch TV, for me i want 65 inch TV:D Distance wise, don't be afraid to go down Courts or Harvey Norman,
find an actual 55 inch then measure distance where you might sit. Our living room may be small, but its not as small as you think.
After going to several IDs, the general consensus is 50-55 inch is ideal, 65 inch still can do, but very subjective. So yours should be ok.

My current house already 55 inch.. So that's why i use to seeing BIG.. Lol...

I think can.. My living room is rectangle... So can put across one end and sofa other end,,

Wow, u tempting me with 65 inch..  but TV is very impt for me.. at home, the TV is on close to 14hrs a day.. 

even my dogs like to watch animal planet and discovery ch.  lol.. I am not joking..

2) If really must wardrobe in bedroom, instead of the typical boxy wardrobe look, why not think out of the box abit, and have a hanging style like this picture below?
Certainly looks super unique and can give a WOW factor when visitors visit your house. Depending how you design, it can even act as a partition.

err... Dun want expose and hanging type.. Later at night get scared by moving things and sounds..... I will have celing fan and AC. I the type like my room to be freezing temp type..  

I just find it leche to walk out take clothes then go room change if my wardrobe is outside..  i don't like clutter.. am going for minimalist look... living room is to have a cozy corner beside window (like mmoh), a big tv and comfy sofa.  a fully glass custom made showcase,  a small dinning table that can double up as workstation.

for my bedroom,, to solve the wardrobe issue...if i put super single bed (instead of queen size)... Got space put wardrobe... Must get my ID frend to draw up. I am considering having the bed in the middle den have custom made wardrobe at both sides. it will be very slim wardrobe judging by my tiny room size.. but at least its in the bed room.. 

3) Vanity Dresser again need not be the stereotypical boxy type with mirror.
Something like this would look unique and cool. Can be vanity dresser, can also be study table.

i just need a mirror,, probably wardrobe door can be a full length mirror.. That's why I want my wardrobe in my room.. No need keep walk out check mirror..

4) Toilet put bathtub is something I also want, but I need to be realistic also due to our small space.
Will also need to consider the increased price if put bathtub. This is unfortunately a hard fact that sometimes sacrifice may be needed.
Vanity mirror in the toilet is not unheard of, but is whether you feel comfortable or not. (Some people may die die not want because they think toilet is super dirty)
Who knows maybe you put vanity dresser in toilet, sekali you like leh?

i am okay  to have vanity in toilet... I have OCD.. So my bathroom cleanliness will definately be hotel standard.. Lol.. Is our own hse toilet. How can it be dirty.. Sure will be well kept.  and die die need a wet and dry area,, my sink and toilet seat area must be dry...really hate stepping in wet floor.. by looking at my floor plan, I need to shift my sink so can have a bigger shower area (hopefully a small tub, square one tat only can stand also can..

I already have a vision how my bathroom will be... Coz my drawing suxs in 5D planner... I actually go browse pics and save pics of design i like. 

5) Kitchen wise, yes its small, but you need to see how often you cook, also what type of cooking you do.
Are you a frequent cook? Do you cook western style? Chinese style? Is induction cooker modern look nice?
Or do you like to have gas cooker with big fire for chinese wok cooking?
Counter space is another factor need to consider. Place is very small, then why not make your OWN counter space.
For me, my solution for more counter-space is for a dining cart (which dual function as storage, and i love that its portable so i can move it anywhere)
You might want to have slide-in slide out to create more counter space like the one below. (Of course it will cost more)

i will cook,, definately need to have a door for kitchen... So my living room dun smell of food coz i plan to have AC in hall...  I cook Chinese, Indian, western style.. See my craving is what..  so definitely gas cooker, big fire wok type.. kitchen will have full cabinets both side and top and bottom.. Need a lot of storage space,,,,

my kitchen space is worrying... my fridge will be big also.. I like to buy a lot and stuff in my fridge so don't have to go NTUC frequently.. washing machine no need so big..  if can, buy those front load type and so on top can have kitchen cabinet and top of washing machine can store stuff...

End of the day, this is your apartment, YOU decide what you want.
Cannot draw, nevermind. Go internet or magazines save photos of designs and decors that particularly catch your eye.
Compile a list of designs or colour style decor you like and save them.
One fine day go thru all of them and slowly have a mental picture of what you want.
That way, when you go ID, you know what you want instead of the ID guessing what you want.

Then again ID job is to help u design even if u completely no idea. It helps expedite the process of course if u have at least a vague idea instead of everything let ID decide.

Sorry for typing so much lol! :D
Hope it helps. Please feel free to discuss, thats what the forum is for also :D

No.. Of coz not... I appriciate ppl like mmoh and you take the time and trouble to help explain to me..  Thank you for the mentoring.  True... its my hse.. I really want a end result I desire,, so I have been browsing and taking note how a lot of HDB flat are being reno.. hard to find a lot of 2 rooms.. so take reference from 3 rooms....

This is my toilet vision... Hope it can happen.... must make some adjustment coz my layout abit differen..

I also have a lot of pic of how my room and kitchen must look like,, all is hope.. But dono can come true,, :( 

.. image.jpg.a39d938743ce944e44e5b3c883ad7ade.jpg

Edited by RuFus58
Typo

On 26/04/2017 at 10:19 PM, RuFus58 said:

Lol... Really simple la..  Why that expression... Hahaha...

55 inch,,  seems big only.. Even go courts see.. Like very big rite.... Coz their setting is like that in shops.. But actually when place at home and put a sofa few feets being... Really not that big.. Trust me... :P

I think for you, the toilet door at kitchen also.. So that area cannot put kitchen cabinet..  I still find mine small compared to my parents hse, now..  No choice,, must learn to adapt..

Lol you're welcome Rufus. Actually mmoh is the person you should approach because she had actual practical experience about what goes on in an actual renovation unlike me. So she will know what are the problems or pitfalls that can occur.

I'm just throwing ideas out for how I'd like mine to be, so while they may look nice on paper, they may be completely impractical in reality. Once ive done up my renovation, I'll be posting on how my renovation process went all the way from finding ID till completion.

One thing tho, why are u guys so keen on a super single bed? Isnt it a tad small? I mean the whole house is yours, why not a bigger queen bed to pamper yourself? I'm sure our rooms are not that small until queen bed cannot put right?

I personally love the idea of the whole bed is mine and i can open arms and leg big big roll around and around on a queen bed lol. But that's just me lol :D

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryanyth said:

One thing tho, why are u guys so keen on a super single bed? Isnt it a tad small? I mean the whole house is yours, why not a bigger queen bed to pamper yourself? I'm sure our rooms are not that small until queen bed cannot put right?

I personally love the idea of the whole bed is mine and i can open arms and leg big big roll around and around on a queen bed lol. But that's just me lol :D

:(' I have been sleeping on a queen size bed for the past 15 years...

go see my bedroom layout. my bathroom door is right in the middle on 1 side of the wall, that makes the wardrobe on that side of the wall out. I dont want my bed to lean right against the window side wall which makes changing of bed sheet very difficult. so my only choice is super single bed... :('

Hello. I have taken a few photos of the 2 room 35SQM unit in Admiralty Grove. Do you want to see it in order to facilitate your design planning? I can't attach it here so PM me with your email and I will send it to you.

Cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spikeling said:

Hello. I have taken a few photos of the 2 room 35SQM unit in Admiralty Grove. Do you want to see it in order to facilitate your design planning? I can't attach it here so PM me with your email and I will send it to you.

Cheers.

So nice to see a fellow neighbour! :)

Have pmed u my email. Thanks!

If anyone is interested, I just found a cheap, simple and nice looking clothing pole system
that is perfect for my "Walk-In Wardrobe" in the Home Shelter sold on Qoo10.
401 Customer Reviews with a 93% approval rate, so it looks very good!

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/2017-NEW-LOCAL-SELLER-KOREAN-STANDING-POLE-CLOTHES-HANGER-RACK/491083566

I'm eyeing the 3 pole system. Because its adjustable, and even got space for baskets and stuffs,
it should fit very nicely in my home shelter size of (1900 x 1700)
Pricewise is very affordable at only S$60.59

ab12e460-7ae3-4a06-8a4c-7c8d977406c8.jpg

b6e94d90-cf30-494e-8cdc-4814217db12d.jpg

On 2 May, 2017 at 5:13 AM, ryanyth said:

Lol you're welcome Rufus. Actually mmoh is the person you should approach because she had actual practical experience about what goes on in an actual renovation unlike me. So she will know what are the problems or pitfalls that can occur.

I'm just throwing ideas out for how I'd like mine to be, so while they may look nice on paper, they may be completely impractical in reality. Once ive done up my renovation, I'll be posting on how my renovation process went all the way from finding ID till completion.

iya.. Who wants to sleep in a tiny bed if got choice... T_T

our bedroom is really very small... If put queen size bed..  No space to even walk.. Might have to move ard sideways... Lol...  If can... I will try have a queen size bed.. See how my ID can work out for me... So i can sleep like starfish,, spread out... Hahahaha....

from your 5d planner.. Only thing i find abit hard is putting the dinning table half in kitchen half out the walk way.. May can work.. Lol.. I just cannot visual it..  True... Mmoh is the guru.. Coz one of the pioneer batch to get keys and reno done and already move in.. Mi still tan ku ku..  Zzzzzz.

himage.jpg.87ad7363c30daa80124428f1d710e8ba.jpg

Wow.. This is so  cheap... I  have been looking for something like this... It was sooo ex.....1K plus.. This only $60!!!!!

Hi all, I've finally signed with a Chosen Interior Designer, and as such will not be replying anymore to this topic
since I've already moved on from conceptual design.

I will now be blogging into a new Renovation Blog under the T-Blog section of this forum
on my renovation journey from Concept 3D Design to ID selection up to Completion of Renovation.

I hope to see you there! :D

Link as below:
https://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/78056-my-modern-zen-2-room-35sqm-type-1-apartment-renovation-journey/