Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sarah833

Is your Hyflux water filter system air tight??

Hi,

I installed a Hyflux Alkaline-3 UF Drinking Water System last July, according to the specification it is capable of filtering up to 3000 Litres of water and base on the usage in my household for 3 adults with minimal cooking  it should last me 12 to 18 months . I was a little puzzled when the water started to taste funny less than 7 months after installation . A friend said the filtered water tastes soapy. I was a little puzzled how does the smell from the box of  laundry powder that I left opened under the kitchen sink where the Hyflux  cartridges are installed penetrates into the cartridge{s]?. So I called up the Hyflux guy last week  explaining to him the situation, and he was very prompt to send a guy to check it out. The guy checked that there is no leakage before testing the water.  He smelled the water and took a sniff  under the sink, and confirmed that the strange smell in the filtered water comes from the smell under the sink. He promptly replaced the carbon cartridge and two other cartridges costing over $600 for free  but I am quite confused with his explanation that the carbon cartridge is water tight but its not air tight, and that the other two cartridges { for filtering bacterial and improving the PH level of the water} are not affected?? And he assured me that the bygone that I sprayed occasionally in the storage area under the sink will not get into the cartridge, and that the smell will go away if I don't leave the laundry powder opened {I cut out the entire top portion of the 3kg box of Spin low-sud laundry powder}?  I told him I am very pissed that I was not made aware of the issues during installation, and I couldn't find any documentation regarding the air tight issuing affecting the carbon cartridge he tried to explain to me. He didn't see why I get so upset over drinking harmless soapy smelling water, and why is it such a big issue to put the laundry powder in an enclosed container further away from the water cartridges . The other guy I communicated over the phone and whatsapp been very polite and he offered to send a plumber over to shift the cartridges from under the sink to another location if I so wish to, but he refused to response to my demand of putting up documentation online and informing buyers the issues with putting the cartridges under the kitchen sink 

I plan to gather more information before I lodge  a complain with Hyflux . So my question to you folks here is do you face similar issues with the water filter system that are installed under the kitchen sink?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi

I just saw your private message to me. My alkaline water system is different. Mine is totally above the counter, so I would not have the issue that you have. Details of my machine: 

I agree with you totally. This is unacceptable to me. How does the water get a soapy smell? It must be because some stuff from the detergent gets into the water. And if this can happen, I am sure some stuff from your insecticide can also get into it. Just that you are not aware. Maybe the amount is negligible to be harmful, but still it is a problem. We install this kind of system to make the water cleaner, not worse.

If I were you, I will definitely (a) try to get a refund for this system (but this is probably near impossible) or (b) take up their offer to shift the filters to another dry location where you do not put anything else.

I doubt they will put up the documentation that you requested. After you solve your problem, you can put up reviews.

Hi

I just saw your private message to me. My alkaline water system is different. Mine is totally above the counter, so I would not have the issue that you have. Details of my machine: 

I agree with you totally. This is unacceptable to me. How does the water get a soapy smell? It must be because some stuff from the detergent gets into the water. And if this can happen, I am sure some stuff from your insecticide can also get into it. Just that you are not aware. Maybe the amount is negligible to be harmful, but still it is a problem. We install this kind of system to make the water cleaner, not worse.

If I were you, I will definitely (a) try to get a refund for this system (but this is probably near impossible) or (b) take up their offer to shift the filters to another dry location where you do not put anything else.

I doubt they will put up the documentation that you requested. After you solve your problem, you can put up reviews.

Maybe you can get more information here:

Hi Sarah833,

Thanks for inviting me to give my 2 cents view.

Airtight = waterproof  However waterproof  ≠  Airtight

So Air can actually affect the taste of the water, and to be honest Carbon filter makes a GREAT material to absorb odor, taste etc. 

What you should do if you like to keep the filter undersink is to avoid storing too much heavy odor materials together with the filter system. Furthermore do not spray insecticide and close the cupboard to concentrate the smell as it will only be "forced" into the carbon filter.

You could also change the filter more regularly instead of the 12 - 18 mths recommendation. 

Alternatively u could consider making the water filter system airtight, which does not make monetary nor logical sense, so your best compromise is what I've written above.

P.S a better filtration technology might lengthen the filter change period. I've always recommended a 0.01M filtration capability though that maybe a tall order based on your current situation.

Cheers! 

Hi gkbt, 

Thanks for taking time to reply.  

What I am puzzled is one of my friend said her dad placed a water filter system  in the engine room in his boat and the water doesn't taste of engine oil? Is it a design issue?  When I asked the Hyflux guy who was on site to change the filters  what's his explanation, he insisted engine oil will not influence the taste of the water,  if I don't believe I can put some engine oil near the hyflux filters to test it out.  He is the same guy who did the installation last July, so I told him I am quite annoyed that I was not made aware of this when he can see that I use the storage space under the kitchen sink to store cleaning liquids,  laundry powder,  and the drainage  outlet for washing machine, kitchen tap is hidden in the corner of the cabinent under the sink as well.  If I were given the information during installation I wouldn't opt for an under the sink water filter system . 

I will get Hyflux to move the filters to another location and lodge a former complain 

Mr Toh

Thanks for your input as well

------------------------------+

Hi

52 minutes ago, sarah833 said:

Hi gkbt, 

Thanks for taking time to reply.  

What I am puzzled is one of my friend said her dad placed a water filter system  in the engine room in his boat and the water doesn't taste of engine oil? Is it a design issue?  When I asked the Hyflux guy who was on site to change the filters  what's his explanation, he insisted engine oil will not influence the taste of the water,  if I don't believe I can put some engine oil near the hyflux filters to test it out.  He is the same guy who did the installation last July, so I told him I am quite annoyed that I was not made aware of this when he can see that I use the storage space under the kitchen sink to store cleaning liquids,  laundry powder,  and the drainage  outlet for washing machine, kitchen tap is hidden in the corner of the cabinent under the sink as well.  If I were given the information during installation I wouldn't opt for an under the sink water filter system . 

I will get Hyflux to move the filters to another location and lodge a former complain 

HI Sarah,

Engine oil will not be able to cross contaminate the water filter system, that being said, fumes will have a certain impact to the filter. My guess is the filter could in theory be changed more frequently without your friend knowledge.

Design issues could be part of the issue (which allows more air circulation in the system) but that could have never been discovered until someones reports it.

That being said Hyflux core business is NOT from water filters systems. I dare say only 1% of their entire sales belong to this sector. Consider the customer support you received above average, I've heard of worse experiences.

So I would recommend to post advisory here in the forum (like in the water filter thread) where some potential customers may visit. It might be better this way.

Cheers!

Hi Gkbt

I just received a phone call from Hyflux customer service. She explained to me that the water filter system can't be moved above the sink due to water pressure , and she will work out a solution with the senior engineer,  the guy I corresponded with over the phone and whatsapp after he returns from India mid Feb.

I told her I am not a plumber but I think it can be moved to a higher position like a bathroom shower system with  more piping work?  or they can get a carpenter to box it up under the sink for me.  She understands that it is quite common for  HDB flat owners to  use the space under the sink as storage space for cleaning liquids, and laundry detergents in old HDB flat like mine. 

I agree with you that the service I received from Hyflux so far has been quite good,  but I had to be more forceful to drive the message about posting advisory notes for potential customers and to advise customers about the air tight issue during installation across 

Edited by sarah833

Hi Sarah,

Moving the filter above the sink can be done and excuses due to water pressure is purely passing the buck.

If I'm not wrong, the water tubes are the 3mm kind and you only need a longer one to put it above the sink. The problem would then be how to connect it back down and into the faucet....(if this was the setup)

Cheers

Hi

The water tubes are 3mm kind. I requested  them to wall mount it on the side of the boxed up wall for the chunky drainage pipes  below the dish drainer . The water tubes can be hidden in the boxed up area and they need to cut a hole at the back of the cabinet below the sink to connect the water tube to the pipe 

I will try to post some pictures this weekend when I have the time 

Thanks! 

This is the layout I mentioned.  The location I intended to wall mount the water filter system is the space behind the tall glass container.  I think the plumber can cut/drill a small hole for the water tubes to pass through , and make a small opening at the back of cabinet below the sink to connect the water tubes to the water pipe? 

I just discovered an unused boxed up area above the dish drainer that might be an ideal location for putting the water filter system out of sight. Do you think  there will be water pressure issue?? 

IMG_20170203_075036_1.jpg

Hyflux's senior engineer just did a site visit.  He will ask the plumber to change out the one month old carbon filter,  the tubes and move it to the cabinet above the dish drainer in two weeks time. 

Thanks for all the advises.  Will keep you guys posted 

Done! Hyflux's plumber spent 35 minutes to relocate the water filter system to the new position,  and changed out the three 1+ month old filters

This Chinese uncle said he always advise the customers during installation not to put the water filter system near household cleaning liquids , and open the cabinet door to air the cabinet when the air gets stale.  The guy who installed mine didn't mention the care instructions at all 

IMG_20170306_164955.jpg

Edited by sarah833

That's good to hear Sarah833!

Hope you'll enjoy the filtered water!

Cheers!