Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

finally the carpenter came over last tues and did the measurements, so now im just waiting veryyy patiently for my carpentry. just realized i did not mention much about my carpentry at all, i clean forgotten about it! been just shopping and shopping on taobao these days. therefore i dug out my beautiful "3D" drawing that my contractor did on sketchup the other time at his office.

O2keWtA.jpg

from left : low cabinet at service yard; top & bottom cabinet on one side of the kitchen; tall unit for fridge and two ovens on the other side.

to be honest i didnt need any 3D drawings since i have very strong sense of design so i pretty much was able to visualize the end result. and also i did my own 3D plan on the roomle app already, so this is something additional and nice to have, but actually not necessary. 

i will be having 2 colored laminates for my kitchen cabinets, woodgrain and dark grey. i totally dig this two toned look, and here are some inspiration pics for reference :

4.jpg?type=w1200

2016_10_metaforma_poznan-7112.jpg

15-a-servi%C3%A7o.jpg?resize=799,1200

westend-townhouse-_4249-0onCFUWxAnEJh2jF

5c8de3c5479dc28e44307fa55812a8d2--kitche

im also having lots of drawers at the seemingly impossible places like below the sink and hob simply because i cannot stand the look of long cabinets that open outwards. i think it annoys my contractor alot because hes been known to be the person around here who does "practical things", but i insist, so he will do it lol. and i will have 4 flip up doors at the top and one of it will disguise the ugly dish rack. i absolutely cant stand the dish rack with a glass door! im anal like that. so im going to disguise it with a normal door that flushes with the rest of the cabinets. 

will continue tmrw with my laminate selection!

15 hours ago, matchalatte said:

finally the carpenter came over last tues and did the measurements, so now im just waiting veryyy patiently for my carpentry. just realized i did not mention much about my carpentry at all, i clean forgotten about it! been just shopping and shopping on taobao these days. therefore i dug out my beautiful "3D" drawing that my contractor did on sketchup the other time at his office.

O2keWtA.jpg

from left : low cabinet at service yard; top & bottom cabinet on one side of the kitchen; tall unit for fridge and two ovens on the other side.

to be honest ididnt need any 3D drawings since i have very strong sense of design so i pretty much was able to visualize the end result. and also i did my own 3D plan on the roomle app already, so this is something additional and nice to have, but actually not necessary. 

i will be having 2 colored laminates for my kitchen cabinets, woodgrain and dark grey. i totally dig this two toned look, and here are some inspiration pics for reference :

4.jpg?type=w1200

2016_10_metaforma_poznan-7112.jpg

15-a-servi%C3%A7o.jpg?resize=799,1200

westend-townhouse-_4249-0onCFUWxAnEJh2jF

5c8de3c5479dc28e44307fa55812a8d2--kitche

im also having lots of drawers at the seemingly impossible places like below the sink and hob simply because i cannot stand the look of long cabinets that open outwards. i think it annoys my contractor alot because hes been known to be the person around here who does "practical things", but i insist, so he will do it lol. andi will have 4 flip up doors at the top and one of it will disguise the ugly dish rack. i absolutely cant stand the dish rack with a glass door! im anal like that. soim going to disguise it with a normal door that flushes with the rest of the cabinets. 

will continue tmrw with my laminate selection!

Lovely colours! Love all the greys and wood. Nice choice of wood tone. 
I see the grey/black switches in your 3D, are you going to get the legrand series?

looking good, can't wait for your completed pictures. :good:

7 hours ago, Clarence Lye said:

Lovely colours! Love all the greys and wood. Nice choice of wood tone. 
I see the grey/black switches in your 3D, are you going to get the legrand series?

looking good, can't wait for your completed pictures. :good:

thanks! i think we have a similar love for grey lol. unfortunately no black switches for me. i was toying with the idea of buying but that would mean having to change the existing switches in the house like heater/light & data pt ones. my contractor wants to charge me for labor, because according to him the plates are cheap, its the labor that is expensive :wacko: im absolutely not going to live with some black some white switches so...yalor.

15 hours ago, matchalatte said:

thanks! i think we have a similar love for grey lol. unfortunately no black switches for me. i was toying with the idea of buying but that would mean having to change the existing switches in the house like heater/light & data pt ones. my contractor wants to charge me for labor, because according to him the plates are cheap, its the labor that is expensive :wacko: im absolutely not going to live with some black some white switches so...yalor.

waa.. u sure you don't want to change all..? i cannot live with the white switches, so i'm changing ALL of them. ~$$$~ :~
I'm going for the schneider series thou, legrand not too bad butle wife didn't like it. :dunno:

Both schneider and legrand are good brands.

Go with the wife decision as a happy wife will make a happy husband ~ 

(*Remind myself on that !!! ) 

On 9/28/2017 at 10:19 AM, Clarence Lye said:

waa.. u sure you don't want to change all..? i cannot live with the white switches, so i'm changing ALL of them. ~$$$~ :~
I'm going for the schneider series thou, legrand not too bad butle wife didn't like it. :dunno:

i cant live with white switches too, but no choice la. the original switches probably still have 10-15 on the wall, to remove is just abit wasted. i saw another renotalker spray painted those casings black, but still would have to remove them! how is the schneider series different from the legrand ones? 

1 minute ago, matchalatte said:

icant live with white switches too, but no choice la. the original switches probably still have 10-15 on the wall, to remove is just abit wasted. i saw another renotalker spray painted those casings black, but still would have to remove them! how is the schneider series different from the legrand ones? 

ehh.. the switch design is different.
Both are of different design so cannot compare them together. More of a preference.

Schneider most commercial places uses like office, MBS, etc.

Legrand: bigger rocker switch, works the same like MK but nicer finish and branding. Quality wise is better than MK.
Schneider: has a led indicator, nicer and better "click" quality when u on the lights. (tends to be irritating and noisy overtime..?)

still waiting for carpentry and im so tired of waiting right now! everything is just coming to a standstill, plus due to the long holiday in china, my taobao stuff are also delayed so i decided to go tile shopping at hafary. i wonder if anyone goes to hafary alone? haha. i didnt need them for tiling works, i just wanted to use them as coasters and pot holder. i would have bought from taobao but majority of these sellers do not sell the tiles loosely, so hafary it is! 

D0PqcBQ.jpg

yqoz8UK.jpg

these marble print hexagonal ones are so pretty. to my surprise there isnt any minimum purchase so i bought 6 pcs. am planning to do some DIY work by painting gold geometric lines on them so i can use it to glam up my vanity table. am really a sucker for marble and gold looking things. these tiles are from italy and is $7.30 psf, so it works out to about $3 per piece. still pretty affordable i would say.

xa7eUTy.jpg

i also bought some matte black ones, these are from china and is only $1.20 each!

i think i will be doing quite a few DIY stuff like using woodgrain contact paper to do a herringbone pattern for my bookcase, or some ikea hack things so mine isnt like a typical HDB reno. hopefully the hard work pays off.

Edited by matchalatte

On 6 October, 2017 at 5:56 PM, matchalatte said:

still waiting for carpentry and im so tired of waiting right now! everything is just coming to a standstill, plus due to the long holiday in china, my taobao stuff are also delayed so i decided to go tile shopping at hafary. i wonder if anyone goes to hafary alone? haha. i didnt need them for tiling works, i just wanted to use them as coasters and pot holder. i would have bought from taobao but majority of these sellers do not sell the tiles loosely, so hafary it is! 

D0PqcBQ.jpg

yqoz8UK.jpg

these marble print hexagonal ones are so pretty. to my surprise there isnt any minimum purchase so i bought 6 pcs. am planning to do some DIY work by painting gold geometric lines on them so i can use it to glam up my vanity table. am really a sucker for marble and gold looking things. these tiles are from italy and is $7.30 psf, so it works out to about $3 per piece. still pretty affordable i would say.

xa7eUTy.jpg

i also bought some matte black ones, these are from china and is only $1.20 each!

i think i will be doing quite a few DIY stuff like using woodgrain contact paper to do a herringbone pattern for my bookcase, or some ikea hack things so mine isnt like a typical HDB reno. hopefully the hard work pays off.

very nice. i wanted to buy from Hafary the other time, but didn't ask if they sell loose pieces. Good to know! Might drop by there and get it.
Mind sharing the item code or something?

Edited by Clarence Lye

@Songz i will, if the end result is a success that is :lol:

@Stream its still early to say. the wirings have been laid but the lights and switches are not up. i do feel that the wirings done are pretty neat so far, so i will do a final review after my reno. if its good i will need to get the contact from my contractor, i dont liaise with the electrician directly.

@Clarence Lye yes here you go :

TbJOLJ0.jpg

ED05VzD.jpg

i went to the showroom at tradehub21, and they dont keep stocks so i placed my order and collected the next day. its shown out of stock on the label but i think they may have a few pieces if a few is just what you need. but i think if you go to their factory at sungei kadut you may be able to collect immediately!

few days back my contractor informed me that my parquet flooring will finally be sanded and refinished. the strip where it was affected by the hacking was made good weeks ago and were fastened with nails after glueing. it was quite a long break in between make good and refinishing so i was so glad that it was finally going to be done. 

for the uninitiated, my bedrooms came with parquet flooring and the original looked like this :

e1LRouR.jpg

it was a very dark chocolate brown and the grains were hardly visible except under very strong sunlight. so imagine my surprise when i saw this :

Dv91dNx.jpg

the original dark brown stain was sanded away and wasnt stained back with a similar color before varnishing. whatsapped my contractor immediately and he said he had no idea why it wasnt stained with a color close to the original. then he tried calling the flooring guy but apparently he went back to malaysia so he couldnt get in touch with him. so i whatsapped these pics to hubby and he said he LOVED it! he said it looked better than the original. hmm really? i thought about it for awhile and yeah i felt like the grains were really beautiful and i never knew how it looked like underneath the dark brown stain. so we decided to keep it and not redo. plus the workmanship looked really flawless. both the parquet and surrounding tiles have been mended by different people and they looked really good, like you couldnt tell it was mended. 

I4EnSbS.jpg

dark and moody, i think it has the feels of a ballet/music studio. i like how the planks have been arranged in a random fashion, it almost looks like a butcher block countertop! it actually looks like my washing machine base also.

Edited by matchalatte