Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hello!! the wait is finally over. carpentry has finally commenced after waiting for a month! the ABS trimming for the doors are not ready hence the carpenter uncle started on the carcasses today. here some pics to share. 

pRWApdz.jpg

top/bottom kitchen cabinet

qCVqqUs.jpg

full height for my 2 ovens & fridge

oHZcisS.jpg

close up on the drawers beside fridge

L0BHVVJ.jpg

drawer below sink. yes im having tons of drawers! 

bjTkYRh.jpg

cooker hob area

cdY51oe.jpg

bottom cabinet with 2 pull outs and 4 drawers at service yard 

iVWiQFq.jpg

half done full height wardrobe with 5 drawers at the hacked area. 

YPoOsOd.jpg

another view

JW5kahd.jpg

my island counter with 6 drawers on one side and shallow storage on the other side. its upturned at 90 degree btw. at the two ends will be two double sockets so i can use my kitchenaid, ice cream maker and steamboat! 

im pretty impressed at the workmanship! i also love the choice of colors for my laminate and internal colored PVC. i purposely chose something dark. contrary to what most people are doing for their countertop that is quartz, granite, solid surface or kompacplus, i've chosen to use a marble print laminate. i dont see why not, people used postforming laminates in the past and it served them well for many years.

the uncle carpenter works alone and im really amazed at his speed and strength. contractor says he prefers to use carpenters who work alone rather than in groups to ensure the quality. 

cant wait to see everything coming together. 

Edited by matchalatte

wow I love the colors selection for your house.. looks so chic. 

do you mind sharing yr id and the uncle carpenter contact? I am thinking of either engaging an id or direct find a carpenter for my house. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, spikeling said:

wow I love the colors selection for your house.. looks so chic. 

do you mind sharing yr id and the uncle carpenter contact? I am thinking of either engaging an id or direct find a carpenter for my house. Thanks!

Me too.... Can share the carpenter infor... Thanks

I like your kitchen cabinets. The quality looks very good. Can u share the contact and quotations for your carpentry?

Btw are u going to box up the gas pipe?

@spikeling@Raylowwl unfortunately i do not have direct contact with the carpenter, i will need to check with my contractor. as for my contractor's contact, i would prefer not to share it now! will do a final review (and reveal) after my reno is over. hope you understand :lol:

@angell thanks! i think the workmanship is pretty decent too. yes the boxup will be done after the backsplash is up. i saw a wooden tube in the color of the kitchen cabinet which i believe is the boxup. 

carpentry in progress part 2!

as a continuation of my previous post, i went over today and see more work done, so pleased. when i went there yesterday and left around 12pm, the carpenter uncle continued working and within a mere few hours, he got so many things done. hes like the carpenter on steroids lol. i wonder if he even had a break. 

zKvNzIl.jpg

dish rack and cooker hood up. i will have 4 flip up doors at the top so virtually everything will be covered.

jzf76w3.jpg

pull out table top at service yard

oufJIxd.jpg

make that two!

4MEYPcK.jpg

island counter mounted up with two holes cut out for the double sockets. i tried putting the socket plates in and they stuck out like a sore thumb, literally. the white plates just dont look good, i may get them spray painted black before the electrician comes over!

sQDaEqx.jpg

the other side of the island, those are shallow shelves and will be covered with doors. 

a6JXOUT.jpg

vanity counters for both bathrooms also up. i will have 2 drawers, a big and a small. 

Y7S0aMH.jpg

top portion of the full height wardrobe is also up. the room light switch will also be relocated to the side of the wardrobe. honestly this is so pretty i cant stop admiring. there will be doors but im already regretting because i think they look better without doors, almost has the feels of a walk in wardrobe. but of course when the clothes start coming in, it will look messy so i guess doors arent such bad idea afterall. 

by the next update i hope my marble laminate top will be up already. till then!

Not sure whether your contractor quotes you the varnishing of parquet flooring is clear coat or coloured stain coat. 

If quoted for coloured stain and they did clear coat,  better check with your contractor. 

If quotes for clear coat, they definitely do clear. Unless owner wants to top up. 

Coloured stain is around double the price of clear coat. 

8 minutes ago, zph19101 said:

Not sure whether your contractor quotes you the varnishing of parquet flooring is clear coat or coloured stain coat. 

If quoted for coloured stain and they did clear coat,  better check with your contractor. 

If quotes for clear coat, they definitely do clear. Unless owner wants to top up. 

Coloured stain is around double the price of clear coat. 

hello chris! i have no idea, will check with my contractor. 

On 10/19/2017 at 12:46 PM, Clarence Lye said:

very nice.. i'm still waiting for my carpentry to arrive.. :dunno:
I like the idea of pull out drawer/table top, I should have included it somewhere. hahaha too late now.

thanks! your carpentry's looking great! and with a decent sized kitchen (unlike mine) theres no need for pull out table top actually.

6 minutes ago, matchalatte said:

thanks! your carpentry's looking great! and with a decent sized kitchen (unlike mine) theres no need for pull out table top actually.

:wub: hopefully all is fine after everything is up.

How's ur progress going? any new pictures?  :rolleyes:

its picture time again! isnt it amazing when (good) things happen together all at once? two days ago my carpentry was more or less complete with the installation of my cabinet doors, drawer fronts and table top. then yesterday the electrician came over to install the lights and switches followed by tim wong's guys for the 2nd installation of the fancoil units. 

first of all some pics of the final carpentry :

vnwmW6P.jpg

top/bottom cabinets. best picture i could manage. for the top i have 4 flip up doors and all drawers at the bottom. the carpenter uncle also did a pretty box up for the gas pipe in the color of my top cabinets! laminates used are stateroom eames teak for the top and truffle for the bottom. counter top is marmo classico, a marble print laminate.

9QqZY2U.jpg

he also managed to squeeze in both a pull out table AND a small cutlery tray below the hob. im amazed. and also despite the fact that the pull out table is technically a drawer, im happy it was a piece of laminate and not colored PVC for the surface. 

F5yhV78.jpg

wardrobe doors with recessed handles. exactly what i wanted and envisioned! i was apprehensive at first because i wasnt sure if the carpenter could do something like this and my contractor didnt have any ref pics of his past projects so i randomly pulled off some pics from google for him. there were a few variations but i liked this one the most. i think it adds interestingness to an otherwise boring casement wardrobe. for the laminate i chose lamitak's nappa misty grey, a leather textured laminate. think of it as a grey birkin bag but in wardrobe form lol. 

ZL42JLl.jpg

vanity with 2 drawers. my matte black stone basin is from taobao and i think the quality is really good. my tall faucet is also matte black and i may just do an unboxing later. the carpenter uncle only took the basin out to measure the cut out for the hole. like i mentioned earlier, contrary to what many people are using for countertop i've chosen to use wood. laminates used are nappa blanco, a white leather grained one for the countertop and hermes marcello walnut for the vanity. 

and onto the lights! 

EfihWUX.jpg

i've chosen to buy all my lights from taobao. to be honest i wasnt expecting some of them to work so i bought quite a few as backups. so imagine my suprise when all of them ACTUALLY worked! it was even better than winning the lottery. bought this copper/rose gold pendant light for my island work area and im so in love with it! 

d9S4jYy.jpg

another view

7vwqEsJ.jpg

apart from the dining and bathrooms, i've decided to go with these black COB box LED spotlights for all the rest of the house. i think they look very cosy and lend a nice ambience! no need to crack my head to think of what light to use for each room. 

kQPDKUw.jpg

i think my teak laminate actually looks better under those lights too lol

YzuOOz5.jpg

switches inside tall unit. i honestly have no idea what im going to with a socket there but i most likely would wanna put a coffee machine in there.

LtrmCC6.jpg

the tall unit actually looks very pretty in real because i have chosen to use the wood grain laminate for the body and grey for the doors.

8RYOgqs.jpg

my two ovens with a flip up door at the top to house the microwave. since i will be using back my 10 year old microwave convection oven which looks abit worn, its better not to put it out on display lol

FdIZkEh.jpg

service yard area. im actually thinking of planting herbs here so this will be my mini garden. 

fKGIO8a.jpg

view of the inside of the wardrobe.

rOfHI22.jpg

$2 geometric bathroom light with edison filament bulb. yes you got that right my bathroom ceiling is painted a dark charcoal black.

wflJ8b2.jpg

i soon found out that these edison bulbs look better when...switched off. because the light is soooo orangey and dingy! i hate it and im getting it changed asap. 

6L9BwNr.jpg

the same COB box lights for my MBR. 

qYBB7ru.jpg

mrU3baE.jpg

low hanging brass bedside lights. i so love these!

so i guess thats about it! really happy with the progress thus far. the next step would be for the glass kitchen backsplash to be installed followed by plumbing. i really cant wait to see my gold kitchen faucet and matte black sanityware in action. also cant wait to move in and personalize my space with a gallery wall and my favorite monstera plants. right now im getting like a weird bachelor pad condo showflat vibe, something not really what i've envisioned lol

Edited by matchalatte

very nice. haha your double oven is definitely a killer. 

With that much drawers, you can't complain you don't have storage space anymore. hahaha. :no:
overall your kitchen / island area still look quite spacious and not too cramp. :good:

Looking good! Thanks for Tim Wong's contacts! However, we bought the aircon from gain city instead because of credit card rebate. Hope we won't regret our decision! 

I like your internal pvc! Too bad we decided not to get those to cut costs.. :~