Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Love your lights! Not a fan of dark ceiling, but looks like you have thgs matched perfectly. 

Btw, forgot to thk u regarding tat post on puritan black. I wld prolly hav selected it as a feature wall if not for your post bcos i really like how it looks on paper

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

@Clarence Lye haha because the fridge is not here yet. i cannot imagine how cramped my tiny kitchen will be when the fridge is here :-/

@pandacel hows the gain city installation? i heard lots of horror stories about their aircon. my old house's aircon was done by courts and it was very bad, so i told myself no more aircon from megastores! as for the internal colored pvc, it was something i felt i didnt want to scrimp on as i hate the look of white PVC so i went ahead with it. i know you could probably save a few hundred bucks, but since i didnt have lots of carpentry compared to many people, i guess i could afford to have it lol.

@purplegirafffe YASSS hopefully soon!! the journey is soooo long, i feel so sian now haha. is your reno journey coming to an end as well? i would be over the moon the day i can start cleaning. 

@fingerscross thanks! im relieved my lights all work. this wasnt something i expected. you're welcome about the paint. i think i've started to like puritan black. it looks bluer than i would like but the color did grow on me eventually and at least it looks grey for the most part lol

kitchen backsplash is up! i didnt know it was going to be today, the glass guys sprang a surprise on me as i was about to leave. 

AnaUa3e.jpg

it was completed in 5 mins! i wanted grey, but hubby wanted green, so green it was. hubby said we already have lots of grey around the house and green would match our service yard windows and door much better. sigh, i suppose this is ok but looks like a pretty common color to have. this is the normal white so it has some green tinge to it. hubby said its not green enough so i teased him and said maybe we should have gone for a hulk/pea green instead? haha

jtvbUsl.jpg

carpenter removed the drawers since he said the plumber might not know how to do it lol. i was contemplating about having the ikea fintorp hanging rod to hang stuff like scissors, cutlery etc but decided against it in the end since it will just make my small kitchen look even more messy. 

qjmhswZ.jpg

with the LED lighting strip turned on. i've always hated recessed lights, hence cove lights were a big NO NO for me. but i thought maybe under cabinet lighting wouldnt be so bad but i still dont like it much. this looks like a fish tank to me so i think i wont be switching this on often.  

next will be plumbing. cant wait to get my taps and rainshowers installed!

21 hours ago, matchalatte said:

kitchenbacksplash is up! ididnt know it was going to be today, the glass guys sprang a surprise on me as i was about to leave. 

AnaUa3e.jpg

it was completed in 5 mins! i wanted grey, but hubby wanted green, so green it was. hubby said we already have lots of grey around the house and green would match our service yard windows and door much better. sigh, i suppose this is ok but looks like a pretty common color to have. this is the normal white so it has some green tinge to it. hubby said its not green enough so i teased him and said maybe we should have gone for a hulk/pea green instead? haha

jtvbUsl.jpg

carpenter removed the drawers since he said the plumber might not know how to do it lol. i was contemplating about having the ikeafintorp hanging rod to hang stuff like scissors, cutlery etc but decided against it in the end since it will just make my small kitchen look even more messy. 

qjmhswZ.jpg

with the LED lighting strip turned on. i've always hated recessed lights, hence cove lights were a big NO NO for me. buti thought maybe under cabinet lighting wouldnt be so bad but i still dont like it much. this looks like a fish tank to me so i think iwont be switching this on often.  

The white-greenish glass is a no-no for me.. but overall it matches ur service yard window quite well. so still ok.
haha i also got LED under cabinet. won't look like fish tank lah.

On 10/31/2017 at 7:21 PM, matchalatte said:

@pandacel hows the gain city installation? i heard lots of horror stories about their aircon. my old house's aircon was done by courts and it was very bad, so i told myself no more aircon from megastores! as for the internal colored pvc, it was something i felt i didnt want to scrimp on as i hate the look of white PVC so i went ahead with it. i know you could probably save a few hundred bucks, but since i didnt have lots of carpentry compared to many people, i guess i could afford to have it lol.

yup i too had bad experience with gain city installation in my mother house.  thats why now for my house, im not keen to get the installation from gain city.

2 hours ago, binchotan said:

yup i too had bad experience with gain city installation in my mother house.  thats why now for my house, im not keen to get the installation from gain city.

my gain city aircon installation went quite well.
from my experience, gain city installers are one of the better and more experienced ones.. :good:

Guess I will find out soon since my aircon installation is scheduled for tomorrow! Pls pray for me! T_T

Your glass backing looks ok imo. Good to go for light colour since your main carpentry laminates are dark. I'm very interested to know how your taobao loots are holding up. Looking forward to your review!

@Clarence Lye good good, i see that your aircon installation looks pretty well done. did they test the unit whether its working after installing? 

@binchotan mind sharing what went wrong with your mom's installation? i've always heard of them subbing out the work to some unskilled indian workers and sometimes during installation they will bend the pipes wrongly resulting in leaks. i didnt want to take the risk. 

@pandacel good luck dear! please come back and feedback on the installation tmrw! let us know how it is?

@plady thanks for the kind words! i will do a final review of my contractor after my reno is over, so i wont be revealing for the time being. i dont have the carpenter's direct contact nor any of his subcons btw. 

2 minutes ago, matchalatte said:

@Clarence Lye good good, i see that your aircon installation looks pretty well done. did they test the unit whetherits working after installing? 

@binchotan mind sharing what went wrong with your mom's installation? i've always heard of them subbing out the work to some unskilled indian workers and sometimes during installation they will bend the pipes wrongly resulting in leaks. ididnt want to take the risk. 

@pandacel good luck dear! please come back and feedback on the installation tmrw! let us know how it is?

@plady thanks for the kind words! i will do a final review of my contractor after my reno is over, so iwont be revealing for the time being. idont have the carpenter's direct contact nor any of his subcons btw. 

i left them in good hands and left.. cos need to return back to work. my ID put aeroplane and end up i have to be there to open the door and get them install.
I havent even tested or try to switch it on yet.

but the person gave me his contact, any thing just call him direct.

jjang! presenting to you the first ever DIY of my new home! 5 hours, 10 cans of black matte spray paint and a pair of very sore arms later, here it is :

QSkfSZy.jpg

yep i spray painted the plastic grating used to cover up the pipes. they've been an eyesore to me for a long time. i've seen folks changing them to acrylic panels but i didnt want to spend a few hundred bucks on it so i decided to do this. i think it looks very "industrial" and actually match the black ceiling so much better. 

n6VwQVG.jpg

AeWR7lS.jpg

another close up. honestly im pretty desperate to find all ways to doll up the ugly bathroom. if i had the moolah to overlay the bathrooms, they would definitely be dark, cozy and i would want dark grey or black hexagonal concrete tiles. oh well. havent decided if i want to paint the frames black but i think this is a pretty cool contrast. 

and since it was already dark by the time i was done, here are some random shots of the night lights.

hx5p8fb.jpg

view from the living room

fa1uqvz.jpg

w4vH7nm.jpg

super love those COB box lights! i wished i bought more and could have more lighting points around the house haha. the electrician also helped me to install the curtain brackets from IKEA. thank you <3

plumbing tmrw, til then!

Edited by matchalatte

Wahhh what a daring move to spray the plastic grating! Does it affect the lights behind and cast shadow? Do you need to do any prep work before spraying? I need to change one of my taobao light fitting to white but my hubby advised me not to spray it myself coz may have bubbles..

Anyway gain city came over for aircon installation yesterday. There was only 2 uncles coz there was some miscommunication. The back office thought we are putting up the aircon units only. Nevertheless, the uncles went ahead with the pipes installation and we bought them drinks for their hard work. We didnt stay to monitor the whole process though. So keeping my fingers crossed until the next time I check.

Oh btw there's a Phillips carnival sale this weekend if you are interested. It was quite crowded even though we went down on a Friday afternoon! Not sure if the prices are cheaper but they sure gave many freebies!

1 hour ago, pandacel said:

Wahhh what a daring move to spray the plastic grating! Does it affect the lights behind and cast shadow? Do you need to do any prep work before spraying? I need to change one of my taobao light fitting to white but my hubby advised me not to spray it myself coz may have bubbles..

Anyway gain city came over for aircon installation yesterday. There was only 2 uncles coz there was some miscommunication. The back office thought we are putting up the aircon units only. Nevertheless, the uncles went ahead with the pipes installation and we bought them drinks for their hard work. We didnt stay to monitor the whole process though. So keeping my fingers crossed until the next time I check.

Oh btw there's a Phillips carnival sale this weekend if you are interested. It was quite crowded even though we went down on a Friday afternoon! Not sure if the prices are cheaper but they sure gave many freebies!

hey girl! by lights behind you mean those T5 kinda tube light? i wont be having it, since i already have lights behind my mirror. so not an issue i guess. i didnt do any prep work, its so high above and in black nobody's gonna scrutinize lol. 

so what will you be doing to your taobao light if you hubby's against spraying? buy another one in white? i think if the light is mounted on the ceiling you wont be able to see even if there are indeed bubbles. of course if its table/floor lamp then its another story altogether. 

oh oh ok, i think uncles doing the aircon should be ok since they should be more experienced. so far the trunking looks ok on the outside? 

do you have a blog btw? would love to read about your reno journey! :D

1 hour ago, pandacel said:

hey girl! by lights behind you mean those T5 kinda tube light? i wont be having it, since i already have lights behind my mirror. so not an issue i guess. i didnt do any prep work, its so high above and in black nobody's gonna scrutinize lol. 

so what will you be doing to your taobao light if you hubby's against spraying? buy another one in white? i think if the light is mounted on the ceiling you wont be able to see even if there are indeed bubbles. of course if its table/floor lamp then its another story altogether. 

oh oh ok, i think uncles doing the aircon should be ok since they should be more experienced. so far the trunking looks ok on the outside? 

do you have a blog btw? would love to read about your reno journey! :D

On 31/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, matchalatte said:

with the LED lighting strip turned on. i've always hated recessed lights, hence cove lights were a big NO NO for me. but i thought maybe under cabinet lighting wouldnt be so bad but i still dont like it much. this looks like a fish tank to me so i think i wont be switching this on often.  

Like a fish tank?? Lets see.....seems to have somethg missing. Oh i know! A few of those fish stickers meant for toilet wall tiles will complete the fish tank look:P:D