Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

@spooky thank you dear! hope you're settling well into your beautiful home. miss you so much!

@binchotan sorry to hear that, it was the same for me! plus they couldnt advise what type size compressor was suitable, and didnt brief us about how the trunking was to run, ended up with trunkings all over the place and the cooling was ineffective.

@pandacel haha i still hate them toilet tiles. wished HDB would have better sense than that tbh. white tiles like this is so passe. ikr, for the most part i wanted to overlay the bathrooms so bad but that would set me back by about $6K for 2 bathrooms. crazy. guess i'll just hold it out for 3 years and then hack instead. 

hmm i wonder how come the aircon unit was tilted. did they measure before putting it up? i didnt know its more troublesome for overlaid bathrooms. for mine, tim wong also made 3 trips - 1 for site survey, the other to run the trunking and finally the fan coils. did you do boxup for the trunking? fingers crossed for you, girl! let me know how the rectification goes! 

yeah i taken a few baths with the rainshower. unfortunately the water pressure at my block has been v weak. called BSC but they couldnt (i think they simply refuse to) fix, saying its the max already. i think it IS better than the default sanitaryware that HDB gives, but nothing to shout about seriously. staying with my grandma for the time being and her old 3 room flat on the 3rd floor has super duper strong water pressure, sooo envious! anyway black & gold rainshower is nice as well, i wanted it actually but hubby said he was afraid the gold would fade or something. is yours the kind with the buttons to adjust the different modes or just the one with normal turn valve? actually white & gold is nice as well! how i wish we can just change the rainshower as and when haha. 

currently not much updates for the bedrooms and living. buying all my stuff like sofa, coffee table, dining chairs etc from taobao, the rest like bookcase and dining table will be from IKEA, they're still sitting prettily flatpacked in the middle of my living room lol. 

girl you should blog please! or send me pm, i wanna see your home leh!

Edited by matchalatte

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

painting touchups!

lJfazlL.jpg

the area between the main gate and door has been painted the same color as the living room, which is puritan black. frames were painted with black swan. i think this area is always the most neglected? because people dont usually paint it. 

SXoSyFC.jpg

bomb shelter door also painted with black swan. super love this color, has the bachelor pad vibe lol.

honestly im not liking this vinilex 5000 much, or maybe its all latex paint in general but i find that they come off wayyyy easily. just one scratch and you can actually see the white paint underneath. dark colors are also not easy to maintain at all so i reckon my home will be super high in maintenance :-/

@matchalatte ur door frame/door they painted it in the glossy finish or it's the same as your wall finish?
mine door frame they painted the glossy black finish and it's so "glossy".. furthermore it's not smooth finishing and there's like "droplets" of paint.. see already very sian, thinki will sand it down manually and ask them give me the paint and i will touch up.

your house looks ready. :good:

Hi @matchalatte

Just wanted to say, been following your renovation journey and boy, those moody colours look sexy! Love the vibe :wub:

You mentioned this is your second home. Wondering what was the style of your previous home? What veered you towards a bachelor pad's vibe this time? Just curious kaypoh, heh heh!

hello TS, could you share the links to the COB lights? isit LED? and isit easily replacable if they become spolit.

May I also ask how about your lighting setup in your living room?

Thank you!

On 15/11/2017 at 2:10 PM, matchalatte said:

@pandacel haha i still hate them toilet tiles. wished HDB would have better sense than that tbh. white tiles like this is so passe. ikr, for the most part i wanted to overlay the bathrooms so bad but that would set me back by about $6K for 2 bathrooms. crazy. guess i'll just hold it out for 3 years and then hack instead. 

hmm i wonder how come the aircon unit was tilted. did they measure before putting it up? i didnt know its more troublesome for overlaid bathrooms. for mine, tim wong also made 3 trips - 1 for site survey, the other to run the trunking and finally the fan coils. did you do boxup for the trunking? fingers crossed for you, girl! let me know how the rectification goes! 

yeah i taken a few baths with the rainshower. unfortunately the water pressure at my block has been v weak. called BSC but they couldnt (i think they simply refuse to) fix, saying its the max already. i think it IS better than the default sanitaryware that HDB gives, but nothing to shout about seriously. staying with my grandma for the time being and her old 3 room flat on the 3rd floor has super duper strong water pressure, sooo envious! anyway black & gold rainshower is nice as well, i wanted it actually but hubby said he was afraid the gold would fade or something. is yours the kind with the buttons to adjust the different modes or just the one with normal turn valve? actually white & gold is nice as well! how i wish we can just change the rainshower as and when haha. 

currently not much updates for the bedrooms and living. buying all my stuff like sofa, coffee table, dining chairs etc from taobao, the rest like bookcase and dining table will be from IKEA, they're still sitting prettily flatpacked in the middle of my living room lol. 

girl you should blog please! or send me pm, i wanna see your home leh!

Wa u plan to hack after 3 years? Then must find another place to stay in the meantime coz it will be v dirty :x

Lol I accidentally posted before commenting (trouble with mobile phone). My stupid living room aircon still got prob ah! The contractor workers said they built the box up based on the aircon trunkings. So last Saturday GC came to fix and showed my hubby that it's straight now by using some equipment called a bubble ruler. But it still looks tilted coz not aligned with the box up and now it'd be my contractor 's turn to fix. Bopi this time no more prob pls..

My hhs door will be painted black too! Like urs but with blackboard paint. Wa vinilex 5000 comes off easily? My contractor is using that too since its cheaper than odourless ones. I can already imagine the heartpain if I damage the paint :(

So how's life in the new house? I'm still waiting impatiently for the completed pics hehehe. If I start a blog then u'll definitely be the first few to know ;) probably not now though. Been so stressed with work, reno and exams rawrrr!

Edited by pandacel

On 14/11/2017 at 1:44 PM, matchalatte said:

so plumbing happened more than a week ago and i only have time to blog. gosh.

4dUvCBt.jpg

the completed bathroom look. everything you see here is from taobao, except for that grey soap dispenser, which is from IKEA lol. i love everything i bought, and so far everything is working, including the mirror with lights. i also love the black shower rod and even bought black shower curtain rings to go with it. whats missing here is a wooden mat that looks like a deck flooring for the shower area. it will arrive in my next shipment. 

XC8jkf3.jpg

also got the plumber to fix a ledge above the toilet bowl. tentatively going to put some things up like a painting, aromatherapy diffuser or a plant. obviously its not going to be a food-related one like you see above, but this is the only picture frame i have right now lol

MfRT4y1.jpg

another view

0AG7dPS.jpg

closeup of the black stone sink and faucet. the stopper in the middle was also bought separately. the sink was ok but i feel that it wasnt sloped well resulting in pooling at some areas. on hindsight i should have bought a smaller one. this 60cm looks kinda oversized in my small bathroom as its even bigger than my kitchen sink. so far so good for the faucet except water marks are really obvious because its black. 

bv2Bl1e.jpg

apart from having the bidet spray for the 2 bathrooms, i also have one in the service yard! bought a two outlet faucet from taobao as well, one connects to the spray the other connects to the washing machine. 

HiCCu8D.jpg

x6ATR3X.jpg

kitchen details

appliances will arrive on the 20th, internet activation on the 21st so tentative move in date will be on 21st!

Hi, can you share the tb link for the shower screen? Is it glue type or need to drill type?? Thanks

Raymond

@Clarence Lye was wondering where you went, you seemed to have MIA-ed for a few weeks then i saw your progress pics again. yay! anyway i painted my household shelter the same paint as the one for wall. honestly not such a good idea, already see some chips and scratches like during opening of door your fingernails will kena but then glossy is worse. not really intune with my theme. did you feedback to yr ID? will they rectify? paying so much and then having to sand down yourself, you sure?

@stray thank you for following! <3 haha my old home was just very basic, mostly ikea stuff and very white. i guess partly its because dark colors are in trend now, also because i really like the cosy look, in fact i wanted my home to look like a hotel cigar room with heavy woods and chesterfield sofa but i guess a more modern approach would be better lol, didnt want to regret my choice next time. 

@inchvbeam yes its LED, here you go :

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z5f.7632060.0.0&id=552879234590

honestly not such a practical light since its very high up on the ceiling so you definitely need a ladder. not for the fainthearted! secondly the box is fastened with 4 screws on a plate that is screwed to the ceiling. you'll also need two components, the bulb itself and the led driver and i've bought spares from the seller. havent really opened up to take a look yet but i may try and figure out myself first. basically all lights have 2 wires, the blue & brown one. so will see if i can change it myself in future if not either will need to call the electrician or if its too troublesome and expensive to maintain in the long run then i may consider using spotlights but maybe in screwable E27 form. 

not much lighting in the living room. entranceway i have a double COB, dining room the rose gold 4 light pendant, also a double COB in the living room area above the coffee table. the rest i will be using floor lamps and table lamps. not a fan of overhead lights much. 

@pandacel ugh really need to find a place to stay? im thinking at most need to use the coffee shop toilet :( anyway i dont think my room parquet can tahan anymore reno. already had a hole + multiple scratches on my MBR parquet during reno, may have to get the floor replaced together if i hack the toilet one day lol. 

i think the problem with uneven walls and floor DO exist with hdb flats! might be because the ceiling is uneven or something thats why yr aircon still looks not aligned. recently i bought curtains and bookshelves from ikea. when assembled i feel that my curtain doesnt look even on the floor and my billy bookcase has gaps in between each one. 

maybe i should have gone with blackboard paint. vinilex isnt very good at all coz its latex. suppose if you have a chip of the paint you can actually peel off the whole layer of it. guess the plus point is latex paint dont smell as awful as the old type our parents used. i suppose vinilex + matex is ok for white walls & ceiling where chips and scratches arent obvious at all. since i have mostly dark grey and black, i should have used another paint instead sigh. 

haha no idea when i will have completed pics of my home. my sofa, dining chairs & rugs are still in china waiting to be shipped. but i do have some pics around the house where i will upload when my internet is up. currently using 4G :-/

ok girl! awaiting your blog ;)

@Raylowwl here you go :

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z5f.7632060.0.0&id=523943417554

its has to be drilled since its L shaped. the plumber did it for me. i have no idea if it can be glued, maybe check with the seller? but honestly i wouldnt really recommend. even with drilling, i feel that the middle part isnt really stable, you need to pull the curtain veryyyy gently.

2 hours ago, matchalatte said:

@Clarence Lye was wondering where you went, you seemed to have MIA-ed for a few weeks then i saw your progress pics again. yay! anywayi painted my household shelter the same paint as the one for wall. honestly not such a good idea, already see some chips and scratches like during opening of door your fingernails will kena but then glossy is worse. not really intune with my theme. didyou feedback to yr ID? will they rectify? paying so much and then having to sand down yourself, you sure?

@stray thank you for following! <3 haha my old home was just very basic, mostly ikea stuff and very white. i guess partly its because dark colors are in trend now, also because i really like the cosy look, in fact i wanted my home to look like a hotel cigar room with heavy woods and chesterfield sofa buti guess a more modern approach would be better lol, didnt want to regret my choice next time. 

@inchvbeam yes its LED, here you go :

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z5f.7632060.0.0&id=552879234590

honestly not such a practical light since its very high up on the ceiling so you definitely need a ladder. not for the fainthearted! secondly the box is fastened with 4 screws on a plate that is screwed to the ceiling. you'll also need two components, the bulb itself and the led driver and i've bought spares from the seller. havent really opened up to take a look yet buti may try and figure out myself first. basically all lights have 2 wires, the blue & brown one. so will see if i can change it myself in future if not either will need to call the electrician or if its too troublesome and expensive to maintain in the long run then i may consider using spotlights but maybe in screwable E27 form. 

not much lighting in the living room. entrancewayi have a double COB, dining room the rose gold 4 light pendant, also a double COB in the living room area above the coffee table. the rest i will be using floor lamps and table lamps. not a fan of overhead lights much. 

@pandacel ugh really need to find a place to stay? im thinking at most need to use the coffee shop toilet :( anyway idont think my room parquet can tahan anymore reno. already had a hole + multiple scratches on my MBR parquet during reno, may have to get the floor replaced together if i hack the toilet one day lol. 

i think the problem with uneven walls and floor DO exist with hdb flats! might be because the ceiling is uneven or something thats why yr aircon still looks not aligned. recentlyi bought curtains and bookshelves from ikea. when assembled i feel that my curtain doesnt look even on the floor and my billy bookcase has gaps in between each one. 

maybei should have gone with blackboard paint. vinilexisnt very good at all coz its latex. suppose if you have a chip of the paint you can actually peel off the whole layer of it. guess the plus point is latex paint dont smell as awful as the old type our parents used. i suppose vinilex + matex is ok for white walls & ceiling where chips and scratches arent obvious at all. sincei have mostly dark grey and black, i should have used another paint instead sigh. 

haha no idea when i will have completed pics of my home. my sofa, dining chairs & rugs are still in china waiting to be shipped. buti do have some pics around the house where i will upload when my internet is up. currently using 4G :-/

@Raylowwl here you go :

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z5f.7632060.0.0&id=523943417554

its has to be drilled since its L shaped. the plumber did it for me. i have no idea if it can be glued, maybe check with the seller? buthonestly iwouldnt really recommend. even with drilling, i feel that the middle part isnt really stable, you need to pull the curtain veryyyy gently.

my ID is at my house today, doing all the rectification on the problems i've reported.
Will head down to do a spot check tomorrow.

I initially wanted to paint all my door frames matt black, but my ID strongly against in. Say after few weeksi sure make noise and will call for touch up or change colour because it can't last.
Then no choice have to live with the glossy door frames.. :bangwall:

Btw, can share your link to the coffee poster? i want something like that to put in the kitchen area too. wanna make my kitchen look cafe-ish.
Initially wanted to do chalkboard wall, then design it those coffee menu like this:
images.jpg.d2f3975f2fce8ba856e02e3549b57bb7.jpg

butdont know how to draw and also if paste sticker it doesn't look good. so gave up the idea. 

wow Clarence, thank you for your detailed post on the lights. Im trying to find lights in the form of screwable E27 for easy maintainability. How many watts did you purchase for your COB and what is ur recommendation? Thank you.

22 hours ago, matchalatte said:

@pandacel ugh really need to find a place to stay? im thinking at most need to use the coffee shop toilet :( anyway i dont think my room parquet can tahan anymore reno. already had a hole + multiple scratches on my MBR parquet during reno, may have to get the floor replaced together if i hack the toilet one day lol. 

i think the problem with uneven walls and floor DO exist with hdb flats! might be because the ceiling is uneven or something thats why yr aircon still looks not aligned. recently i bought curtains and bookshelves from ikea. when assembled i feel that my curtain doesnt look even on the floor and my billy bookcase has gaps in between each one. 

maybe i should have gone with blackboard paint. vinilex isnt very good at all coz its latex. suppose if you have a chip of the paint you can actually peel off the whole layer of it. guess the plus point is latex paint dont smell as awful as the old type our parents used. i suppose vinilex + matex is ok for white walls & ceiling where chips and scratches arent obvious at all. since i have mostly dark grey and black, i should have used another paint instead sigh. 

haha no idea when i will have completed pics of my home. my sofa, dining chairs & rugs are still in china waiting to be shipped. but i do have some pics around the house where i will upload when my internet is up. currently using 4G :-/

Hahaha are u getting major furniture from taobao too? High 5!! I got a rude shock when my GST+Agent+Shipping fee came up to $960. But bopian have to pay. Where are the pics u promised to upload!! :(

Very troublesome to replace the flooring leh coz u need to store the barang barang elsewhere and you'll have strangers entering the house all the time. Not to mention that it's freaking noisy when they polish the tiles. Also super dirty and dusty which will kena your furniture and whatnot. Might as well get a new house altogether so can post another reno blog! :P

Oh ya I wanted to ask u if u installed a storage heater (not sure if I have missed your post). If so then the water pressure is still weak? Did u adjust the meter outside to the max?

For my aircon, amazingly, nobody blamed HDB (yet). I will need to check this Sunday if everything has been rectified. Feeling so impatient coz we are nearing the carpentry stage now and NOTHING IS HAPPENING. Ahhh  pls help relieve my stress by posting more of your progress pics!!

15 hours ago, inchvbeam said:

wow Clarence, thank you for your detailed post on the lights. Im trying to find lights in the form of screwable E27 for easy maintainability. How many watts did you purchase for your COB and what is ur recommendation? Thank you.

Me? lol, can't recall what i've posted. :lol:

Personally E27 Screw Bulbsare quite lasting and affordable.
Example, Philips Tornado Bulbs are good, cheap, lasting, bright, energy saving.

That's provided the bulb design can suit your need and design. 
Depending on how much light you want at your house/area, a good 7-15watt per bulb x 2-4 is usally more than enough for one area.

19 hours ago, inchvbeam said:

haha im not @Clarence Lye but honestly i think hes a more expert than i am when it comes to lights lol. my single COB lights are all 7w and for double ones its 7w x 2, and for living & kitchen i used 15w x 2 and i think its bright enough for cooking. then again my kitchen is very small, only 2m by 2m. i think it really depends on what kind of activity but in general those COB lights arent very bright at all. they simply illuminate the immediate spot below it, so if you want COB for reading, cooking etc i would recommend 15w and above, and no harm putting more of them in close proximity. 

@Clarence Lye curious to know how your black glossy door looks like, you havent posted a pic right? dont recall seeing it. might want to go glossy if it doesnt look bad haha, just worried whether it will look cheena or obiang. 

the poster is from IKEA actually, i think it looks nice but a bit too common now. the one you posted looks nice too! very bistro feel, i LOVE the bistro look. i think taobao has some nice cafe style decals or stickers, you may wanna check it out. but i definitely do not think im confident in chalk drawings. mine may just look kindergarten-ish lol.

@pandacel girl! did you use ezbuy?? thats crazily expensive! $900+ gosh. you should just use those cubic meter container shipping. the forwarder im using charges only $100 per cbm. 

ugh singtel screwed up on me, internet was supposed to be up but they went to activate the wrong unit. so gotta wait for a few days. yeah i have lotsa pics to upload! maybe later heh

you're a good salesperson, sweetie! getting a new house + new blog doesnt seem like a bad idea lol. unfortunately this will be our 2nd and final home haha. the nx move will probably be when im 70 years old lol

yeah i got a 25L joven. i dont know how u define strong or weak pressure but i think its just fair. cannot compare to those old HDB where the water is like super strong. but i feel that after installing the rainshower its better than the default one HDB provided. also the water pressure is slightly bigger when the valve is turned to the left ie. hot water. but generally i think its just ok lor. may take some pics of my running tap/shower and show u la. for the meter i think its something like 4 bars. not even to the extreme right and yet BSC insists its the max already. damnn sian.

Edited by matchalatte