Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
placetostay

How to Find Accommodations during renovations

Hi all, not sure if this is the right subforum, but please correct me if wrong.

We've decided on the contractor for a renovation for our condo unit, but as per the estimate, the renovations will take 2-2.5 months. Would someone be able to recommend where we can find places to stay during the renovation.

We've looked at service apartments, but they start at around 5-6k per month and we're hoping to save a little bit on that amount. Are short term rentals on HDB units available? Bear in mind we have 3 vehicles amongst myself, my wife and my son and just looking for a cost-effective 2 bedroom apartment. It doesn't really have to be fancy since it is at most a 3 month stay and we can "tough it out." although from my experience, Singapore homes are usually quite clean even the older estates. 

Any recommendations or contacts would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You may want to try to search for an apartment via Airbnb. Since you are a local, you may want to deal with the host directly without going through Airbnb. 

On 3/7/2017 at 8:40 PM, KFC1189 said:

You may want to try to search for an apartment via Airbnb. Since you are a local, you may want to deal with the host directly without going through Airbnb. 

yes, I have done the same when my room was renovated. Airbnb is really a great help. 

Now it is quite difficult to find an apartment. When my sister had a renovation, she was looking for a temporary apartment for a very long time. And she wanted to find an apartment at a good price. She also wanted it to be a luxury house with luxury apartments. And it wasn't until two weeks later that she found kips bay 2 bedroom. She liked this apartment very much. She even said that the house where her apartment is located had a gym. And she had time to exercise every morning before the work.

You can consider searching on Facebook groups with the keywords "rent", "whole unit" etc. There are quite a few active groups with advertisements posted daily, directly by home owners looking for new tenants! Either scroll through the posts, or make a new post of your own as a tenant. Set out your requirements like the length of stay, preferred area(s), facilities required and whether the place should be furnished or not. 

Tip: a common acronym used in these groups is "BHK" which stands for bedroom, hall and kitchen! Took me a while to figure out 😁

I'm looking to rent out my place in Dhoby Ghaut from August this year, for around 3 to 6 months. It's a 1BHK -- a very spacious one bedder, ensuite bath, full sized kitchen, dining room and living room. Pets welcome too!

If anyone is keen, please drop me a message. Thanks :) 

For me, the best solution was to recommend my friends who had a similar problem. Or you can also write about it on other forums for more information. My friends recommended kw: the water gardens to me when I needed a place to live. Try to ask your friends and family. Maybe they have options. I remember my sister found an apartment very quickly with the help of friends. And then she was in a hurry for a business meeting and found it in a completely different city. It's good that there are loyal friends who can help at any second.