Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dietgalvon

Project Muji Home - of white, wood and chrome

On 3/16/2017 at 0:20 AM, kayelle said:

Hi dietgalvon,

Is it possible to share the contacts for J&E with me pls? :)  Thank you!

Btw, just want to say that I'm also in love with the Muji theme too! I got my SOBF unit in Jan but have been waiting for close to 1 month for HDB to rectify the defects (they have not even touched anything omg). Will be following your t-blog! Jiayou and all the best for your renov!

PM sent! :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My fiance and I just completed the list of defects and would be submitting it to HDB service center soon. Crossing fingers that all will be done before we leave for Japan in 2 weeks' time! Also, currently we are waiting for J&E to get back to us to arrange a meeting time to formalize the contract (it's been 2 weeks). Oh wells, we were prepared for the wait! Anyway, we are currently having second thoughts of our initial plan and would need some time to dwell over it. Arghhhh!

We started shopping around for the electrical appliances. Now that we have purchased most of them (if not all), I wondered if we had acted too impulsively. We didn't do much price comparison and thought it's easier to buy all from the same store. :unsure: As I am not very particular with the type of electrical appliances we use at home (trust me, I spend so much more effort and time on the minute things when buying off taobao), I did not do much research on these. Hence, the process of settling was really easy - bring fiance to the store, listen to the recommendations, fiance decides, purchase made. LOL.

PURCHASES - PART I

(1) YORK SYSTEM 4 AIR CONDITIONERS (4 TICKS)

649992586.g_400-w_g.jpg

Place of purchase: Gain City
Cost: $3,280 with 5 years extended warranty ($389 for extended warranty)

All I gathered from whatever I read is that usually people chooses Mitsubishi air conditioners. Personally, we do not have any preferences. We decided to settle for an inexpensive brand with extended warranty largely because we understood that the life span of air conditioners is about 7 to 10 years, regardless of whether they were used or not at all. With an initial idea of an open kitchen concept, we chose System 4 still because my mum advised that the rooms' air conditioners would be cooler if we do not on the living room unit often. We only have plans of using the ones in the MBR and study room, and decided that this is good enough for us.

(2) FUJIOH HOB

fg_773_svgl-b.png

Place of purchase: Tiong Yeong Hardware
Cost: $430

Again, all I told the fiance was that we can consider Fujioh or Bosch (we only needed the hob) based on what I have gathered from forum (forum-ers definitely can be trusted!). We first went to Hoe Kee, and while we like Bosch as it looked really easy to clean, we wanted to get a white tempered glass hob instead. Hoe Kee told us that they do not have any white for Fujioh ($400+), and the next feasible choice is Turbo ($500+). We left the store because we were not in a hurry to make the decision yet.

We next went to Tiong Yeong Hardware to check out kitchen sinks, and chanced upon Fujioh hob in WHITE. We decided to buy it immediately! We don't get to choose the internal flame burners though because they only have one piece left for the white! We will return to the store to buy sinks in due course. For now, we are happy we managed to get a white hob at this price. Heh.

(3) SHARP 50" FHD DIGITAL TV

Cost: $699 + $50 (for wall-mount installation)

My fiance and I do not have the habit of watching TV so we bought a non-smart TV for the living room - this is for the fiance to play games on his PS4. He wanted a 50" though I initially thought a 43" was sufficient for our tiny living area (lol).

(4) HITACHI FRIDGE - SLS (395L)

Cost: $729

There were tons of refrigerators in the store that we didn't know where to begin. In the end, I recalled reading most about Hitachi, so we just decided to scale down to Hitachi fridges (first). In the end, we find that this size was just right, and the price was right, so we didn't bother looking further.

(5) BOSCH DRYER (6KG) + BOSCH FRONT LOAD WASHER (7KG)

MCSA00456520_WTA74101SG_def.jpgMCSA00795605_WAK20060SG_def.jpg

Cost: $595 + $690 (free stacking kit)

Dryer
Place of purchase: Audio House
Cost: $649 (free stacking kit, though I would not require it)

Washer
Cost: $690

I am using a dryer at my maiden home and I love the convenience. I was prepared to buy it at a later stage if the price wasn't right (my mum is against a 2-in-1 kind of washer/dryer), so I was glad I saw this deal at Gain City - dryer going at $600! Upon getting home, my mum told me that I shouldn't get a dryer that has a pipe (omggg) because it's very cumbersome. Oh well, I doubt I will change it though, I shall live with it (haha).

We initially wanted to get a ~$500 LG washing machine, but realized that the drum was puny as compared to the other $700 and up ones. Most washing machines are also about ~$700 so when we were introduced to this Bosch washing machine, we decided to get it since it costs $700.

Actually, we also placed deposit for a SONY 50" 3D ANDRIOD TV that costs $1,199 at Gain City (for MBR). But due to our lack of research, we were slightly misled by the salesperson and decided that we only needed a regular smart TV that should cost below $1,000. So, we are planning to get this changed.

We must be the laziest shoppers on Earth (lol). I shall refrain from buying impulsively from now on. :ph34r:

sharp-50-aquos-fhd-led-digital-tv-lc50le275x-7355-7526406-79fa75d7d8a405a205124896ee6bb31f.jpg

659923581.g_400-w_g.jpg

Edited by dietgalvon
Updated on places of purchase

• Like 1

We will be having a joint inspection with HDB on the defects of our flat this Saturday and are finally meeting our contractor this Sunday! Excited that things are finally moving~

STARTING FROM ZERO

Here's the very first few photos we took of our flat!

IMG_6096.JPG
Our living room is tiny~

IMG_6098.JPG
And so is the dining area! We initially wanted to hack half wall and fabricate a bar-top (with seats facing the kitchen), but upon seeing the flat we realized that it won't even be enough for two (lol). We tweaked the idea a bit and decided to have a bar height dining instead!

IMG_6099.JPG
Kitchen/Service Yard

The pipe there is diagonally opposite the kitchen wall I intend to hack, and my mum is very concerned about the pipe being visible from the living room (we are not doing top cabinets). She suggested that I do a top cabinet or keep the kitchen wall.

This gave me second thoughts about hacking the kitchen wall because (1) friends say aircon don't work well with open kitchen concept (2) our wall is tiny but that will cost us $1.5k to hack and (3) no hacking means need not spend money to conceal the pipe.

The fiance still prefers to hack the kitchen wall for aesthetics reasons and we are thinking of alternatives so that we don't spend money on a top cabinet that we likely would not fully utilize.

IMG_6111.JPG

My mum is again very concerned over the gas piping that is going to be visible because we are not doing top cabinets. We intend to box up the piping or in the worst case scenario, live with it. Omg, why is it protruding that much? :bangwall:

IMG_6100.JPG
Short passage way to MBR; I think one bulb is enough to light up this area (lol)

IMG_6101.JPG
MBR Toilet; I am a little upset that I can't have a big mirror because of the placement of the window, but things just got worse when I saw that the window is SO huge. :o

IMG_6102.JPG
"Feature" wall for both MBR and common toilets

Well, good thing my toilets wall tiles are completely white except for the wall behind the doors. To be honest, this "feature" wall isn't all that bad. Our current plan is to overlay the MBR toilet floor and wall tiles but I am feeling 'sayang' because (1) I am okay with the white wall tiles, (2) this "feature" wall ain't all that bad and (3) we can save $2k. But the last I heard the fiance says he still wants to overlay the wall tiles; likely going ahead with his decision because I always can't decide hehe.

Edited by dietgalvon

im really liking your huge window in the bathroom, almost like condo? only condos have regular sized windows! i wanted to overlay as well but its almost $3K to overlay the entire thing so $6K gone for 2! decided to just forgo the whole thing :(

sorry for the noob qn but can you tell me if clothes dryer dries the clothes completely as in immediately can take out to wear/keep? i never used a dryer before but i've seen my friend with one and hers has a long tube that goes out the window. very ugly and clunky. whats the diff between those with and without tube? 

really nice buys btw! im also looking for prices of appliances that are in the hundreds range instead of thosands lol. will go tiong yeong to have a look, honestly havent heard of it. 

15 hours ago, matchalatte said:

im really liking your huge window in the bathroom, almost like condo? only condos have regular sized windows! i wanted to overlay as well but its almost $3K to overlay the entire thing so $6K gone for 2! decided to just forgo the whole thing :(

sorry for the noob qn but can you tell me if clothes dryer dries the clothes completely as in immediately can take out to wear/keep? i never used a dryer before but i've seen my friend with one and hers has a long tube that goes out the window. very ugly and clunky. whats the diff between those with and without tube? 

really nice buys btw! im also looking for prices of appliances that are in the hundreds range instead of thosands lol. will go tiong yeong to have a look, honestly havent heard of it. 

Hello @matchalatte! Yup the dryer does! My mum loves to use the dryer because the clothes are softer than if hung dry. To save electricity she would hang dry till 80% dry before using the dryer. :P Yes I inadvertently bought the one with the tube as well - it is an outlet to let out the hot air. But the price was good so no complaints! My mum says the tube is unsightly and hard to manage, so she got one that doesn't have the tube. Hers was a Fisher & Paykel, at $600 odd.

Tiong Yeong sells more of sinks/taps/heaters, etc. I didn't do much price comparison though, just went there because it was recommended to me hahaha. Hope that helps! :)

Hi Dietgalvon! Could you share with me the contacts of your shortlisted IDs (and if possible, the quotes as well)? Many thanks in advance!

Really looking forward to seeing how your Muji -themed house will turn out!

6 hours ago, dietgalvon said:

Hello @matchalatte! Yup the dryer does! My mum loves to use the dryer because the clothes are softer than if hung dry. To save electricity she would hang dry till 80% dry before using the dryer. :P Yes I inadvertently bought the one with the tube as well - it is an outlet to let out the hot air. But the price was good so no complaints! My mum says the tube is unsightly and hard to manage, so she got one that doesn't have the tube. Hers was a Fisher & Paykel, at $600 odd.

Tiong Yeong sells more of sinks/taps/heaters, etc. I didn't do much price comparison though, just went there because it was recommended to me hahaha. Hope that helps! :)

thanks so much for the advice! im only worried that if the dryer has tube where im going to put it as im not going to put the washer and dryer in my service yard. they will be in my kitchen inside a tall enclosed cabinet. like this :

IMG_5758.JPG

so im not sure whether i will have a problem with the tube or not? 

20 hours ago, renonoob2017 said:

Hi Dietgalvon! Could you share with me the contacts of your shortlisted IDs (and if possible, the quotes as well)? Many thanks in advance!

Really looking forward to seeing how your Muji -themed house will turn out!

Hello renonoob2017, PM sent!

18 hours ago, matchalatte said:

thanks so much for the advice! im only worried that if the dryer has tube where im going to put it as im not going to put the washer and dryer in my service yard. they will be in my kitchen inside a tall enclosed cabinet. like this :

IMG_5758.JPG

so im not sure whether i will have a problem with the tube or not? 

Oh! I think there'll be an issue! The tube usually comes out from the back of side or the dryer and it will be really hot. I intend to let the hot air out of the window. Really innovative to put the washer in the kitchen within the enclosed cabinet! Do you have to shift the water outlet to do this?

Edited by dietgalvon

1 hour ago, dietgalvon said:

Hello renonoob2017, PM sent!

Oh! I think there'll be an issue! The tube usually comes out from the back of side or the dryer and it will be really hot. I intend to let the hot air out of the window. Really innovative to put the washer in the kitchen within the enclosed cabinet! Do you have to shift the water outlet to do this?

OMG then how? could i just let the tube out into the kitchen while i use it? afterall my kitchen entrance will have a door so even if its really hot the hot air wouldnt come out into the living room. 

i think thats what the angmos do, if u google laundry area for small homes they normally put it in an enclosed cabinet. i like that if you dont stack it you can have a counter top above the washer, some will put an ironing board there. because im converting my service yard into a wet area (with my sink & stove) i will have to shift the washer inside. not sure whether the washer can use the existing point meant for the sink? might have to shift the points here & there but since my kitchen is vvvvv small (2.4m only) there shouldnt be an issue. i think.

On 3/25/2017 at 8:57 PM, matchalatte said:

OMG then how? could i just let the tube out into the kitchen while i use it? afterall my kitchen entrance will have a door so even if its really hot the hot air wouldnt come out into the living room. 

i think thats what the angmos do, if u google laundry area for small homes they normally put it in an enclosed cabinet. i like that if you dont stack it you can have a counter top above the washer, some will put an ironing board there. because im converting my service yard into a wet area (with my sink & stove) i will have to shift the washer inside. not sure whether the washer can use the existing point meant for the sink? might have to shift the points here & there but since my kitchen is vvvvv small (2.4m only) there shouldnt be an issue. i think.

Yup if you don't mind that's fine too! Just realized that I won't be able to stack my dryer on top of my washer because of the laundry pulley thingy. So the hot air shall remain in my service yard instead of let out of the window. :( 

Sounds like a great plan for your kitchen! Will follow your updates, hehe.

8 hours ago, Yune Ki said:

Hi Dietgalvon,

Do you mind to share your contractor, J's contact? Thank you.

PM sent!

13 minutes ago, dietgalvon said:

Yup if you don't mind that's fine too! Just realized that I won't be able to stack my dryer on top of my washer because of the laundry pulley thingy. So the hot air shall remain in my service yard instead of let out of the window. :( 

Sounds like a great plan for your kitchen! Will follow your updates, hehe.

PM sent!

oh? but i thought thats what people usually do, stack them. you mean if you stack, the top of the dryer will hit the laundry rack? or the string pulley itself? because usually the string thing is on the other side of the yard, below the bathroom window. anyway im taking the whole thing down because im having a tall enclosed unit there to cover the pipes and washer/dryer . might have to buy shorter ones from taobao :-/

thanks! following your updates too!

1 hour ago, matchalatte said:

oh? but i thought thats what people usually do, stack them. you mean if you stack, the top of the dryer will hit the laundry rack? or the string pulley itself? because usually the string thing is on the other side of the yard, below the bathroom window. anyway im taking the whole thing down because im having a tall enclosed unit there to cover the pipes and washer/dryer . might have to buy shorter ones from taobao :-/

thanks! following your updates too!

Yup, we won't be able to fully let down the laundry thingy if we were to stack them. Arghhhh!

10 hours ago, daryl78 said:

@dietgalvonis a white hob easier to maintain than a black hob? Am deliberating which color to get...

Hello @daryl78, I'm not too sure yet but I certainly doubt so! We chose a white hob purely to fit our theme hahaha