Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Jolene Heng

'Scandi-boho-eclectic i just hope it does not become weird' home

@spooky i was quoted $900 too! maybe it's really the norm price for contractors? compared to when i saw the quote for the entire bathroom area, this is so much more pleasing to the eye hhaha. 

@swirl360 Ooo, are you the in the project nearer to the mrt? Have you started reno as well? Mine is considered slightly late already as we were honeymooning during the time we were supposed to sign some docs, hence the delay.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

$900! for overlaying bathroom? is it just the labor? i was quoted $1300 + another $800 for tiles so total $2K per bathroom so not sure whether to do it or not. my bathroom is 2m x 2m.

jolene could you pm me your contractor please? thanks!

Edited by matchalatte

2 hours ago, matchalatte said:

$900! for overlaying bathroom? is it just the labor? i was quoted $1300 + another $800 for tiles so total $2K per bathroom so not sure whether to do it or not. my bathroom is 2m x 2m.

jolene could you pm me your contractor please? thanks!

Pretty sure $900 is just to overlay the shower area (3 walls), not the whole bathroom. Same as my quote!

Edited by spooky

32 minutes ago, spooky said:

Pretty sure $900 is just to overlay the shower area (3 walls), not the whole bathroom. Same as my quote!

So how much were u quoted to overlay just one wall (shower head area)? Tinking of doing the same to save cost. $900 include labour and cost of tiles for 3 walls?

@matchalatte @spooky@daryl78 yes, $900 all in for the 3 walls within the shower area for $3 psf tiles! i don't have any quote for just 1 wall!

Update, work is starting to pick up now

Hacking is done! photo sent by contractor M

WhatsApp Image 2017-03-08 at 8.33.50 PM.jpeg

Aircon trunking tomorrow! Totally know nuts about trunking so threw this homework for my husband to settle. Ours is from Mitsubishi Electric, system 3 (Not installing the aircon in the wardrobe room) We decided on 18K BTU for the living area in the end despite having an open concept kitchen mainly because this size is enough to be mounted on the beam. If i were to pick 24k (what usually open concept kitchen homes will pick), i cannot mount mine on the beam due to it's bigger size, and would have to mount on the dining area wall. And so, the 1st thing my guest or I will see when i open my main door will be that big aircon. It was a struggle initially to pick 24K BTU for practicality or 18K BTU for beauty and also... we are not really that frequent users of aircon in the living room. I can only foresee myself using it probably only when guests come or when i want to pamper myself over the weekend at home. Let's hope 18K will suffice. Contractor M says it should be no problem since i told him i am usually scared of the cold and sleep in 26 degree Celsius :D

3 hours ago, daryl78 said:

So how much were u quoted to overlay just one wall (shower head area)? Tinking of doing the same to save cost. $900 include labour and cost of tiles for 3 walls?

Quotations varied from around $350 to $400+ for the wall with shower head

oh no, mine would have to be 24K since my kitchen is open (somewhat) and i do alot of baking and i didnt know it cannot be mounted on the beam! thanks for the heads up, i better plan alternate "route" but im not sure where since i will either not have any walls or they will be covered with cabinetry hmm

i think 18K should be sufficient for living room, may not be very cold if you have lots of guests but still better than not having any aircon lol

should trunking be laid after only hacking? 

8 hours ago, Jolene Heng said:

@swirl360 Ooo, are you the in the project nearer to the mrt? Have you started reno as well? Mine is considered slightly late already as we were honeymooning during the time we were supposed to sign some docs, hence the delay.

Yup. We are still looking around for IDs.. no real hurry cause need to finish the defects first. I realised my neighbours on the same floor mostly havent started reno too! 

On 3/7/2017 at 8:55 PM, Jolene Heng said:

Tiling works.

Actual tiling works have not started yet as Contractor M workers are still busy with another project. Will probably only be able to start next week. Waiting with impatience because i am so eager to see how this bulk of the reno will turn out to be. We visited SBH a total of 4 times (WHAT?!), i am on good terms with the staff already.

Living room and bedroom tiles

Was adamant on wood-like tiles after seeing so many gorgeous inspiration on pinterest. We did consider Vinyl too, but among all the contractors and IDs we met in the initial selection phase, most contractors, albeit they are the more traditional kind (including my chosen one) were against vinyl. Not sure is it because Vinyl is relatively new in the market, and they are less receptive to new things just like elderly tend to shun technology. One contractor remarked: she would earn a higher profit if she did vinyl for us as compared to her profit margin if she tiled our house. We didn't want to take any risks of in the future of going crazy over a small puddle of water on the floor and the need to wipe it immediately (not sure how true this is), so we went with tiles! SBH had quite a huge range of wood-like tiles. with eyes, without eyes, in different shades and sizes. Look at the samples that we lugged home! Husband said that we can go every week and ask for sample, and soon we can tile our house with all these sample pieces (things the weird husband says)

WhatsApp Image 2017-03-07 at 7.32.17 PM.jpeg

This was my favorite! Photo from SBH website. It's woodessence Beige. So pretty!! A pity we didn't pick it as contractor M said that this kind of short and thin tiles looks best on herringbone laying and not the normal random/steps laying. It was also pricey at 5.30 psf, and he said that he would have to charge us more too, since more tiles and more labour needed to lay this kind. BYE BYE MY FAVORITE TILE:~

beige_4_smaller_pixel.jpg

We settled for this in the end! Oxford Roble. at about $4.60 psf irc. That's the husband kissing his 8k worth of tiles.

WhatsApp Image 2017-03-07 at 7.40.49 PM.jpeg

Brick wall tiles

We have a small area of brick wall at our kitchen area, if you look at the drawing above. Didn't spend much time on this and we picked this! Classic white. We were actually contemplating to use hollow bricks to build that wall and paint it over. But i didn't to have cleaning issues because of the rough edges, and future child safety issues so we opted for this below!! Not as rough, and equally aesthetically pleasing. Photo koped from SBH website. It's brick white, and it costs like 4.90 psf after GST. Contractor M say he will close one eyes on the price since we are tiling a small area only

Rubiera_Amb_brick_white.jpg

Kitchen backsplash and toilet wall tiles

Finally a less expensive option compared to the other 2 tiles. it's less than $3 irc and contractor M assured us that it will still be beautiful. I liked the marble look, and we decided to go for uniform tiles for the toilet wall (3 sides at shower area) and the kitchen backsplash area

I decided to use the same tiles that he did for a project a while back. Cheap and nice, he said. Hoping this won't go wrong too. Below is the picture he sent over, on the toilet that he tiled for his previous project. Looks pretty decent!

IMG-20170216-WA0002.jpg

So this is probably all the tiling works we are going to do! if budget permits, i would have like to tiled my non wet area in the master bedroom toilet too! However, i figured the HDB white tiles will suffice, although i am a little worried about now my SBH tiles will protrude out against the HDB tiles :(

Wow great wall bricks

@matchalatte i think trunking and hacking is independent as long as your trunking pipes are not going on the wall you want to hack! my beam is in the middle of 2 walls, hence the length of the aircon is restricted!

@Viv14344 hehehe i love them too, hope they look as nice on my home too!

A small peeve. saw some cigarette butts on my home on several occasions. Must be the hackers and aircon people. Told contractor M about that and he said he will put up a no smoking sign and remind workers not to smoke in the home.Look at what he drew for me! so cute!

WhatsApp Image 2017-03-09 at 9.11.37 PM.jpeg

I guess i am just being anal, i don't want my floor tiles to be laid with the cigarette butts underneath forever, not being able to see the daylight forever. Let's hope i don't see this again! :unsure:

Laminates Galore

i practically koped back all the catalogues that contractor M has from his office. He uses EDL and Jennings. Didn't really hear of them before. Guess i am only exposed to Lamitak that is like widely used in renotalk. But i am quite impressed with EDL. I get to order sample laminates from their website (See below) and they do a door delivery the next working day free of charge! YAY. Don't really have to make my way to Sungei Kadut their office to see the laminates, though i think the sample size will be in bigger pieces there.

WhatsApp Image 2017-03-08 at 7.24.13 PM.jpeg

Settled this for my Kitchen! Upper cabinet (style white), and lower cabinet (bleu vif) Both in matte. I know, kill me right now, matt laminate in kitchen, especially the blue one is face palm. I did a greasy fingerprint test on the sample, and yes, as expected, there's a greasy mark. Never mind, going close 1 eye because i love blue and i love this colour combination for my kitchen. Not going to be so anal about this. At most i shall just wipe it after every cookout session. In fact i was contemplating over lamitak nautical laminate but contractor M advised against it, as he said it's too dark, and will look like almost black at different angles and time of the day. Praying this blue will be perfect. I seriously only have a few shades of blue in my brain that i can accept.

For style white, it's an off-white laminate that he recommended. he says that off-white laminate will not turn yellow over time.

WhatsApp Image 2017-03-08 at 7.24.24 PM.jpeg

Yes, this colour combination will go super well with shaker cabinets, but i guess i am not going for it for 2 reasons.

1. the kind of shaker i want - wood trimmings is quite pricey.

2. trap more oil within the shaker style cabinets

Now just need to crack my brain over my bathroom vanity and wardrobe laminates. probably going for some woody laminates.

The husband, shared a concern with me, which i found valid (and the concern is in my title). He feels hard to imagine how our house will look like, because he is someone who likes to copy (and he likes the scandi, muji style) where he say things are uniformed. all white, all wood, etc. But for our house, he has seen some of my ideas and buys thus far, from lights that look country-style to antique etc, a persian rug i am eyeing, that herringbone console that i bought from commune, and a green wall!!, he cannot imagine. To be honest, i can't imagine that much too, and that there isn't a focal theme for our house. :( i can only assure him that the elements that are uniformed is that the house is still mainly white, and wood.

Edited by Jolene Heng

• Haha 1

you have good taste and your hubs need to learn to trust you lol

is your house even close to peranakan? i cant really visualize what bohemian would be like but i've seen those colorful peranakan tinted glass windows, red tinkat or intricate floor tiles, is it something like that? but the blue laminate is errrr, kinda reminds me of my sec school days pinafore.

workers and contractors all smoke, esp they like to smoke while working! :-/

2 hours ago, Jolene Heng said:

@matchalatte i think trunking and hacking is independent as long as your trunking pipes are not going on the wall you want to hack! my beam is in the middle of 2 walls, hence the length of the aircon is restricted!

A small peeve. saw some cigarette butts on my home on several occasions. Must be the hackers and aircon people. Told contractor M about that and he said he will put up a no smoking sign and remind workers not to smoke in the home.Look at what he drew for me! so cute!

I guess i am just being anal, i don't want my floor tiles to be laid with the cigarette butts underneath forever, not being able to see the daylight forever. Let's hope i don't see this again! :unsure:

Laminates Galore

i practically koped back all the catalogues that contractor M has from his office. He uses EDL and Jennings. Didn't really hear of them before. Guess i am only exposed to Lamitak that is like widely used in renotalk. But i am quite impressed with EDL. I get to order sample laminates from their website (See below) and they do a door delivery the next working day free of charge! YAY. Don't really have to make my way to Sungei Kadut their office to see the laminates, though i think the sample size will be in bigger pieces there.

Settled this for my Kitchen! Upper cabinet (style white), and lower cabinet (bleu vif) Both in matte. I know, kill me right now, matt laminate in kitchen, especially the blue one is face palm. I did a greasy fingerprint test on the sample, and yes, as expected, there's a greasy mark. Never mind, going close 1 eye because i love blue and i love this colour combination for my kitchen. Not going to be so anal about this. At most i shall just wipe it after every cookout session. In fact i was contemplating over lamitak nautical laminate but contractor M advised against it, as he said it's too dark, and will look like almost black at different angles and time of the day. Praying this blue will be perfect. I seriously only have a few shades of blue in my brain that i can accept.

For style white, it's an off-white laminate that he recommended. he says that off-white laminate will not turn yellow over time.

Yes, this colour combination will go super well with shaker cabinets, but i guess i am not going for it for 2 reasons.

Now just need to crack my brain over my bathroom vanity and wardrobe laminates. probably going for some woody laminates.

The husband, shared a concern with me, which i found valid (and the concern is in my title). He feels hard to imagine how our house will look like, because he is someone who likes to copy (and he likes the scandi, muji style) where he say things are uniformed. all white, all wood, etc. But for our house, he has seen some of my ideas and buys thus far, from lights that look country-style to antique etc, a persian rug i am eyeing, that herringbone console that i bought from commune, and a green wall!!, he cannot imagine. To be honest, i can't imagine that much too, and that there isn't a focal theme for our house. :( i can only assure him that the elements that are uniformed is that the house is still mainly white, and wood.

It should look nice☺

11 hours ago, Jolene Heng said:

Laminates Galore

I have the same concern about the design/ideas I have in my head! I would prefer having a very obvious theme too but I lack the design chops to ensure that everything fits together into a theme. So I guess I'll just see how it goes, especially at the 3D design phase. 

13 hours ago, Jolene Heng said:

Laminates Galore

bold choice for your kitchen but i think white and blue would make a stunning combination! would love to have your bold sense... my bold choice in my kichen is just a blue colour backsplash...lol...

i was like you too, ideas all over and all the ids i met keep asking me whats my style.. so hard to choose! as the reno progress, i realised to just go with the flow and not be so focused on just the theme... after all, we are not making a instagram worthy house but a house we call home...

Spent 2k at Hoe kee today! I personally find their stuff relatively price competitive after comparing prices with like GAB or Tiong Yeong Hardware and some other Jalan Besar shops. In addition, they are the sole distributor of Blanco, so i decided to get the big purchases at Hoe Kee!

1. Blanco Naya 6 in alu-Metallic with the Blanco mixer. Yes, pricey, branded, but it looks so sleek and pretty. I don't really fancy stainless steel kind of sinks.

2. Hob and Hood from Fujioh! We got a package with a Ariston Oven. I just need a basic oven because i am no masterchef so we went ahead with a bundle promotion that look pretty reasonable

3. 2 bathroom sinks! Going to reuse the HDB taps

4. 1 25 Liter Joven storage heater!

Does this sound reasonable?

Edited by Jolene Heng