Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Yplailai

My exciting journey to owning and designing a flat

6 hours ago, Yplailai said:

Thanks fifteenmay!

i was put into perspective properly after the last round of discussions.

some sneaky ways of deflating the quotation:

1) excluding electrical works no false ceiling is 1k and with is 2k

2) excluding gst and later telling you have gst

3) in my case after studying both quotation thoroughly, i realised the first cabinet quoted was 4ft and the last was 11ft. And from the argument, my guts feeling was she intentionally quoted 4ft so she can "honestly" up it to 11ft (top up for my requirements) to be honest, 28k is acceptable to me too, but i am very troubled by the ID not being open and up front. 

yes, electrical and plumbing is a big part of the quotation. that was one of the reasons why i did not choose my 2nd choice id as his quotation is excluding electrical and was just an estimated cost. 

i think the more ids we sit down with, the more experienced we get in spotting all these "deflations"..and if now you are feeling troubled when you havent even sign quotation, better go with your gut feel if she is honest or not.. otherwise the start of renovation is not smooth already.

all e best to you!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Fengshui

if you are intending to hire someone and look at geomancy, it is best to do it before engaging ID/contractor. Fengshui of site, does affect colour choice and materials. Like in out case.

we are really lucky that our fengshui largely falls in place with what i have intended to do. No weird positioning of tv/sofa/dining table/bed or repositioning of entrances. And my chosen white/cream/lightwood theme is indeed best suited for us.

the affected areas

bathroom: initially i had wanted wooden tiles in the mbr and peranakan tiles in the common bathroom. Just nice it clashed and we had to use stones/slate tiles. And the hdb tiles that came along was a dark grey colour. Looks like fate would allow me to save money and not do tiles if i run out of budget. (Think in positive way).

rolling of pineapple ceremony

we've also read some blog posts about how we should roll a big fat pineapple for luck, bowling style into the flat for good luck. And scattering of salt and rice combi for cleansing. We are so confused with this tradition and decided to follow what our friend has advised.

key collection and checking for defects has nothing to do with cleansing (yes, the salt and rice mixture does apply). If it is a resale flat, you wouldn't be rolling a pineapple and scattering those rice and salt in every flat you view right? Viewing flat is just viewing and checking it out.

so, the proper procedure would be to select a good date for praying, before actual renovations start. And the rolling of pineapple is the last step right before we move in. 

Disclaimer: i'm just sharing what steps we are taking, so far whatever advice we have followed, or given to us by friend has worked for us. Peaceful and harmonious household, smooth sailing career and stable life. Imho, you can follow whatever you believe in, as long as it makes you happy.

getting ready

Praying ceremony will commence this sat at unearthly hours of 4am.. the three of us are pretty thick skinned i would say. And hubs and i have already moved a big powerful fan, a bucket with newspapers, old rags, magic clean and wipes, an umbrella, 2 stools, packet drinks. We'll bring a night light and post it notes on sat..

IMG_5276.JPG

It's been a while since i last updated. 

We are busy checking for defects and looking around for contractors and furnishings. After doing the math, all we see is the flashing of $$$ signs in front of our eyes and all we hear is the ringing of the cashier register. 

While waiting around for quotation, i did a rough estimation of other hidden costs..

window

needed grills for security and safety. Window panels for service yard. Estimated to be 1.2k

lightings

not an option to do it last (although we are not in a rush to move in) we can't leave the ceiling with a hole and exposed wires right? To save money and space, i will bid a tearful goodbye to all my lightings around the house and install fan with light. About 300 per fan? So i need abt 4. Also need lights for service yard, bathroom x2, entrance, living room track light, dining room, walkway in front of rooms. Shall make a trip down to JB and look around.

fridge and washing machine

have to set aside 2k for those. Last resort i shall get those last.

aircon

needed alot of ticks for electrical bills saving. About 4k for system 4

cooker and hob

i dont really understand how it works, but a rough estimate of 1k should be sufficient for a decent set

living room

sofa 1k

tv 500-1000? Will check out IT fairs

sound system another 500-1000

Dining hall

dining table and chairs 1k?

security surveillance camera

500?

doors

3 bedrooms

2bathrooms

1kitchen

another 1k at least

on a really tight budget, we need more than 10k to set up a simple home. 

i feel you, everything is so expensive these days. have you tried looking at cheaper places for furniture? i will be buying most of my stuff like tv console, bedframe & sofa from castlery, fortytwo.sg or hipvan and then rest like lighting from taobao. i too have a tight budget and its pretty shocking how much it costs to reno + furnish. i will also be laying my own vinyl flooring, again from taobao. probably will cost $200 compared to $4000 as quoted by contractors & IDs. basically need to do lots of DIY to save cost, even considered painting my own walls.

Edited by matchalatte

2 hours ago, matchalatte said:

i feel you, everything is so expensive these days. have you tried looking at cheaper places for furniture? i will be buying most of my stuff like tv console, bedframe & sofa from castlery, fortytwo.sg or hipvan and then rest like lighting from taobao. i too have a tight budget and its pretty shocking how much it costs to reno + furnish. i will also be laying my own vinyl flooring, again from taobao. probably will cost $200 compared to $4000 as quoted by contractors & IDs. basically need to do lots of DIY to save cost, even considered painting my own walls.

Wow! Admire your determination to DIY as much as possible. For me.. still looking around and reading through everyone's blog for ideas. Luckily we are in no hurry to move, can slowly look around.

27 minutes ago, Yplailai said:

Wow! Admire your determination to DIY as much as possible. For me.. still looking around and reading through everyone's blog for ideas. Luckily we are in no hurry to move, can slowly look around.

oh thats good! slooooowly look around because there are so many things to do. and they're all big decisions so cannot afford to be hasty.

got a big shock you said you'll buy fridge & washing machine last? i thought those things are essential! do you already have them at the moment and planning to reuse?

8 hours ago, Yplailai said:

It's been a while since i last updated. 

We are busy checking for defects and looking around for contractors and furnishings. After doing the math, all we see is the flashing of $$$ signs in front of our eyes and all we hear is the ringing of the cashier register. 

While waiting around for quotation, i did a rough estimation of other hidden costs..

window

needed grills for security and safety. Window panels for service yard. Estimated to be 1.2k

lightings

not an option to do it last (although we are not in a rush to move in) we can't leave the ceiling with a hole and exposed wires right? To save money and space, i will bid a tearful goodbye to all my lightings around the house and install fan with light. About 300 per fan? So i need abt 4. Also need lights for service yard, bathroom x2, entrance, living room track light, dining room, walkway in front of rooms. Shall make a trip down to JB and look around.

fridge and washing machine

have to set aside 2k for those. Last resort i shall get those last.

aircon

needed alot of ticks for electrical bills saving. About 4k for system 4

cooker and hob

i dont really understand how it works, but a rough estimate of 1k should be sufficient for a decent set

living room

sofa 1k

tv 500-1000? Will check out IT fairs

sound system another 500-1000

Dining hall

dining table and chairs 1k?

security surveillance camera

500?

doors

3 bedrooms

2bathrooms

1kitchen

another 1k at least

on a really tight budget, we need more than 10k to set up a simple home. 

yes, everything is expensive now! :~ your estimates for items is roughly accurate... keep a bit of spare for unexpected costs..

20 hours ago, matchalatte said:

got a big shock you said you'll buy fridge & washing machine last? i thought those things are essential! do you already have them at the moment and planning to reuse?

I was thinking these are items that is clean and easy to move in (alr have an allocated spot) and dont need to conceal wires or anything like that so shall save up for that before buying it and right before moving in. We are have a comfortable place to stay at the moment, so no real urgent rush to move. Certain things like window grills, no money also must do first before renovations start. 

Went MIA for a month. Because we were

1) waiting for bsc to rectify defects

2) meeting contractors

3) feeling sluggish and unmotivated to start on anything 

meanwhile we were waiting around, we tried cold calling those group buy contacts that were shared around the BTO facebook group.

and somehow, (i have a feeling we hit jackpot this time round) i tried calling to get a quote for windows and chatted casually about whether we have confirmed any reno companies. I lamented on the line that we have no luck, all companies find our budget too low to work on and either tried to milk us like a cash cow or dropped our project like a hot potato. This window guy recommended a trade partner to me and told me this guy is not bad, good service, direct factory price and price is negotiable slightly. 

So since we have slided down the ladder back to starting, i thought there is no harm in calling too. Sent le hubby down to the office to interview the contractor and hubby came back with only positive reviews. 

Prior, we tried contacting the famous J&E duo and invited them down for a quotation. But boss wasn't even slightly impressed at all. To their credit, they are very responsive to sms. But there wasn't any chemistry between us and when i asked for a re-quote to take out items I didn't want, they didnt seem very keen on my biz. 

Very deflated and dejected, we decided to source our own sub contactors and build up the house slowly item by item. That is, when i feel like doing windows, i shall buy windows and ask for installation. Until this recommended guy came along.

to be honest, i was quite sceptical abot giving biz to this stranger too, and i didnt have a good impression or opinion when he scheduled my appointment from 10am to 11am and to 2pm. Being very particular about timing, i don't appreciate punctuality issues, nonetheless, since already taken an off day, shall give benefit of doubt and wait around for him.

in summary, i like this contractor too. The way he explained, the way he handled pressure (I subtly hinted him we had specially taken leave to meet him) and his quotation is affordable. 

Also, after deliberating for a good 2 months, we decided to go for Song Cho stainless steel kitchen set. Yes, it is no doubt expensive. About 12k (conservative estimation) for only one side of the cabinets, but the advantages outweigh the price;

- one piece seamless design (no joining by silicone to turn mouldy from moisture) 

- stainless steel (anti cockroach, somehow these buddies love wood and cardboard) 

- movable (can dismantle when you move house, songcho charge about 300 fee) imagine if i invest 10k on kitchen cabinets and have to leave behind my 10k when i move house

- drawers are inbuilt with blum closing

Windows grills plus service yard windows 1.1k

kitchen glass door 590

contractor - prayer altar, mbr wardrobe 6ft, bottom cabinets for kitchen other side, overlay toilet tiles, shower kerb and glass screen, paintings (4colours +white) change wood skirting to tiles 12k+ (no gst) space too small for customised tv console, better to buy ready made

that's all, will post again when there is progress

How do you spell busy?

This week was super productive. We confirmed song cho kitchen set, takes 2 months to fabricate and ship in from Japan. Also confirmed contractor and selected laminates. Choice was clear cut, all whites and light beige wood colours. I don't see how we can go wrong with whites. Just need a little more care and effort for maintenance.

initially had wanted to buy a small TV console, affordable ones look cheapskate and ugly. Made to order ones look like replicas in every HDB, designer ones cost an arm or a leg.. what to do? Until we were browsing furniture and come across this antique seating which was love at first sight for me, despite an extremely hefty price tag to it. In short, we'll be going for customised console so to match the altar laminates and blend in, so that the seat can bask in its beauty. 

Below is a photo of a prayer altar i found, forgot which company it was, so couldn't do credit. To be realistic, much as i wanted lots of light, the electrical works is really a headache. So will do without the lights. 

Previously i had wanted a sink in service yard, and after meeting different IDs and contractors who each gave their own insights, i was rather confused and hesitant to go ahead. We decided to install a very mini sink next to washing machine just to do like scrubbing until i come across this blog post about this blogger's laundry room. Do check it out if interested in sink in service yard yard (http://estella.sg/ under home i think). I shall just copy hers and save myself from headache. 

Lightings 

have not really decided, contractor recommended *** from tradehub 21 becoz of onsite service (got prob, they come to your house to fix, not ask you to bring down to shop for exchange), but their collection is a little out dated for me. I like those crystal lights from chelsea (chinese garden mrt). Still wondering about the price and suitability. 

That's all. Tomorrow will be the start of renovations marathon, at early 8am. Once measurements are taken, work shall commence.

IMG_5798.JPG

IMG_5274.PNG

IMG_5794.PNG

On 3/15/2017 at 11:16 PM, Yplailai said:

great news came my way today! key collection will be set for next week. And be meeting ID from company A tomorrow night to tie up loose ends before commitment.

this is layout of our houseplan.

the good

our bto is a small project of 3 parallel block of flats that sit on a north south position along a stretch of road.

our unit is on the east side, so all rooms and living room will capture the morning sun slightly. The other half of the building will bake under the sun from noon to evening and my unit will be cool when we come home. 

Service yard faces a field, no blockage of view or light, and hopefully captures the morning sun too. 

The bad

low floor. View? What view? I get a very magnified view of the grass patch. 

Havent found time to go down to site, but heard from hubby there's a very nice street lamp post right outside our living room window. 

IMG_4767.JPG

hello! just wanted to check, after you gotten ur 2nd HLE approval. how long did you wait before you gotten your keys? :)

On 22/05/2017 at 8:34 AM, vxnne said:

hello! just wanted to check, after you gotten ur 2nd HLE approval. how long did you wait before you gotten your keys? :)

Hi... I think ours is auto approved. Don't remember getting any 2nd letter of HLE. But we did get some sort of letter from HDB one month prior to getting keys.