Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DragonFireSG

Question on landed build envelope

Hi Folks,

Currently in the midst of planning a property built from scratch having acquired an empty plot of land.

We will be building to the build height limit of 12m, with the main structure within the setback requirements as dictated in URA/BCA guidelines

I am planning on covering much of the entire roof with solar panels after construction. The question here is if the panels are considered part of the building structure, or something bolted on to the building.

There will likely be a 20-30cm air gap between the roof of the building and the panel array, which will mean the building + panels set will slightly exceed the build envelope.

Basically I need to know if I will need to plan for a slightly shorter building, maybe 11.5m from minimum platform level to allow for the air gap and the frame holding the array. I am assuming lightning protection rods may exceed the 12m mark.

The other question would be if I can extend the array to cover the 45 degree setback of the attic - but within the 7.5m setback from the front, This will give me an extra row of panels and shade for the top floor.

Cheers,

Ken

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I will not TOP the building with the solar panels installed. It is already very hard to pass TOP. All these "nice to hv" toys shd be installed after TOP. 

Thanks. I was planning getting to TOP before getting a solar installer to come quote for and install the additional toys.

Based on the BCA green handbook on PV installations (https://www.bca.gov.sg/GreenMark/others/pv_guide.pdf), further BCA approval should not be necessary as long as I make sure the roof is rated for the PV installation loading.

I will put out feelers and get some input from PV installers on this.

Panel prices have reached parity, and power costs are increasing. If the system is good for 20-25 years, it will be a worthwhile investment.

What they dont tell u is the cost of the batteries that requires replacement every few years. The same issue is happening for electric cars. There is a quantum leap in battery technology coming out soon but its still new and the price unknown. 

Lets not kid ourselves. As long as power supply is readiliy available, the switch over cost is prohibitive, unless grants are involved. Solar only makes sense for ulu areas where there are no ready power supply available like a floating fish farm, or when the neighbourhood sub station has maxed out like in HDB towns. 

Well.. Thats just my opinion.

No plans for battery banks that need regular replacement. I work with datacenters, and the cost of battery maintenance is really serious. Having seen 2 battery related fires in 15 years due to equipment failures (thank goodness for fm200), I ain't putting a bank of things with the stored potential energy of a bomb in my house.

As you mentioned, there is little point in Singapore doing off-grid where the power is clean and stable. Any system I install is gonna be strictly grid tie only. At current efficiency levels, we have reached a decent level of parity between SP cost and PV install cost. ROI is as short as 5-6 years now for heavy users, vs 10-15 just a while ago. I anticipate SP power costs will continue increasing too. We aren't gonna see oil this cheap forever. Power generated in the day will offset that consumed at night. It's a decent arrangement.

I am also planning to install solar panels without battery banks for my new house (tender stage) which only be ready by mid next year.  Solar panels ROI is about 5-6 years.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:39 AM, DragonFireSG said:

The other question would be if I can extend the array to cover the 45 degree setback of the attic - but within the 7.5m setback from the front, This will give me an extra row of panels and shade for the top floor.

if your array is build within the 45 degree envelope, it should be ok. By right nothing should be outside the envelope which comprises of the various setbacks and the 45 degree attic lines.

By left, follow SAF rule number 7 which many landed home owners do. But if you do get caught, the penalties doesn't come cheap.

BTW, which solar panels are you looking into? I'm also exploring solar panel options for my rebuilt (still in design stage).

On 4/12/2017 at 4:48 PM, snoozee said:

if your array is build within the 45 degree envelope, it should be ok. By right nothing should be outside the envelope which comprises of the various setbacks and the 45 degree attic lines.

By left, follow SAF rule number 7 which many landed home owners do. But if you do get caught, the penalties doesn't come cheap.

BTW, which solar panels are you looking into? I'm also exploring solar panel options for my rebuilt (still in design stage).

I got quotes from UTICA.  You have any to explore together?

The type of roof design and area  will determine the viability of using solar  energy. Better to do it after TOP.

On ‎13‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:13 PM, cymon said:

I got quotes from UTICA.  You have any to explore together?

I haven't gotten any quotes from any local suppliers yet since the house is still in design stage. But definitely looking at those that ties back to the grid for offsetting the utilities bills. Hopefully the prices will come down a bit more next year which is most probably when I will install the panels.

Lo Folks, I will be investigating the solar installation in a year or so as my plot is currently still grassland :) UTICA's prices do look tasty, but I am not sure of their panel specs at this time.