Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

4 hours ago, superk888 said:

your electrical way too ex. doublepoint $55 single 50$ hood point oven point $95 hack n conceal $120/hack. nego with your ID

1 hour ago, izong said:

bro too ex le... the one i'm using charge me single point $55, double point $65. My light point is $35.

let me know if you want my contact.

total price manage to bring down to $3.2k+.
it'sabit hard to engage other electrician because they won't know what my ID wants in terms of the switches/wiring running inside/behind the carpentry and etc.. becausei have a walk in wardrobe which is not the normal depth size of 600mm and got bedhead that requires to shift electrical point above the bedhead for eubiq (later if get others to do the points, the height, all different then sian..)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
3 hours ago, Clarence Lye said:

total price manage to bring down to $3.2k+.
it'sabit hard to engage other electrician because they won't know what my ID wants in terms of the switches/wiring running inside/behind the carpentry and etc.. becausei have a walk in wardrobe which is not the normal depth size of 600mm and got bedhead that requires to shift electrical point above the bedhead for eubiq (later if get others to do the points, the height, all different then sian..)

Bro, i tot ur id shd work wif the electrician of ur choice, no way shd we let them overcharge, if he can instruct the welmate electrician wat he wants, he shd be able to tell the other electrician wats required as well, btw, how did u nego from 3.9k to 3.2k? Did u reduce amt of work or was discount given for same amt of work? If my id electrician charge mi tis kind of crazy px..i will definitely go source outside

On 8/14/2017 at 8:39 PM, daryl78 said:

Bro, i tot ur id shd work wif the electrician of ur choice, no way shd we let them overcharge, if he can instruct the welmate electrician wat he wants, he shd be able to tell the other electrician wats required as well, btw, how did u nego from 3.9k to 3.2k? Did u reduce amt of work or was discount given for same amt of work? If my id electrician chargemitis kind of crazy px..i will definitely go source outside

eprob is r&r work with welmate very closely. all their electrical wrk goes to welmate. i removed some stuff and ask for discount.. the whole r&r process quite screwed up, their pricing is already on the high side then all their sub-con are also expensive. i think that's the only way they can sort of "uphold" their lifetime warranty slogan? we were so tempted to just forefeit the whole deposit.. but 8k painful.. so we didnt.

Edited by Clarence Lye

Hi, can you PM me your contractor's contact for the kitchen tiling works? Thanks. BTW, why don't you overlay the kitchen floor with tiles instead?

Edited by spikeling

On 8/19/2017 at 4:02 PM, spikeling said:

Hi, can you PM me your contractor's contact for the kitchen tiling works? Thanks. BTW, why don't you overlay the kitchen floor with tiles instead?

sure, I can PM you the contact.

Reason of hacking is because i'm doing vinyl floor and I wanted my vinyl floor (living and whole house) to be level with the kitchen floor.
If I overlay the kitchen floor, my overall height for the whole house will increase, therefore it will affect my entrance kerb and toilet slope kerb (because entrance kerb and vinyl is also level and i'm only overlaying my master toilet and not my common toilet.)

therefore if height increased, the common toilet vinyl will sit about 5-8mm higher (because of the overlay tile height) on top of the existing toilet slope kerb created by HDB, which will can be resolve easily if you are using the slope looking trimming (which i personally didn't like.) that looks like a hump.

Capping.png.b03fe4252d4e77a51d70dadb009d3fe9.png

see my below illustration for a clearer picture. hope that helps. (not to scale but the idea/concept is there):

Hacking.png.e0c148139c7dc91af3e9930430dd214b.png

update on reno progress:

1) electrical works are done (wiring all pulled, re-wired)
2) cement screed done

Here are some pics:

a) Living area for display cabinet
Wiring1(Living).JPG.168ff933b52bb5fc82dc542e0814f036.JPG599bb1691b417_Wiring2(Living).JPG.adb07ca1e87dcc6c2f4d4bea98b293c5.JPG

b) entrance switch and also laid an extension plug at the bottom
599bb166399e3_Wiring3(entrance).JPG.f324650341071c09f7d8db83ccdb8646.JPG

c) kitchen
Wiring4(kitchen).JPG.8de12bb66a20f285cfb42df9f47ad98a.JPG

d) master bedroom
Wiring5(MBR).JPG.a49557ef7a53e0959c38d84d1be7c6c1.JPG

e) dining/fridge area
Wiring6(MBR1).JPG.5f772b016ea81c1fb0d14a1c201ff0d9.JPG

and cement screed:

a) Walkway towards the room
ScreedCorridor.JPG.0b23f5110fab12f79c3ede616c1f69af.JPG

b) kitchen view
ScreedKitchen.JPG.68aac409b2773cea6f92b7def551e0a4.JPG

Here's a picture of my vinyl and kitchen tiles (they are leveled, heng..)
ScreedKitchenEvorich.JPG.e9d56b9e514befdf7b4e2b07b0357741.JPG

Here's another picture of the vinyl and the slope kerb at common toilet:
ScreedLivingCToilet.JPG.bdcc77a8e37ca88708bc3b5fe1d3305f.JPG

Edited by Clarence Lye

On 8/21/2017 at 11:07 AM, Clarence Lye said:

sure, I can PM you the contact.

Reason of hacking is because i'm doing vinyl floor and I wanted my vinyl floor (living and whole house) to be level with the kitchen floor.
If I overlay the kitchen floor, my overall height for the whole house will increase, therefore it will affect my entrance kerb and toilet slope kerb (because entrance kerb and vinyl is also level and i'm only overlaying my master toilet and not my common toilet.)

therefore if height increased, the common toilet vinyl will sit about 5-8mm higher (because of the overlay tile height) on top of the existing toilet slope kerb created by HDB, which will can be resolve easily if you are using the slope looking trimming (which i personally didn't like.) that looks like a hump.

Capping.png.b03fe4252d4e77a51d70dadb009d3fe9.png

see my below illustration for a clearer picture. hope that helps. (not to scale but the idea/concept is there):

Hacking.png.e0c148139c7dc91af3e9930430dd214b.png

Thanks for the detail explantion!

Hi clarence, u got one nice display cabinet there.....tink it will go v well with ur lego display. So u got reztnrelax to only do the carpentry and electrical works? I rembr gng to some home n reno fair, they had this v futuristic and atas looking booth. Spoke to a random ID abt their carpentry charges. Didn't sit down with him thou cos a mental calculation put my reno cost at the 75k to 80k range. Their selling point is life time warranty.....but with all warranties, the devil is in the fine print. 

1 hour ago, fingerscrosssaid:

Hi clarence, u got one nice display cabinet there.....tink it will go v well with urlego display. So u got reztnrelax to only do the carpentry and electrical works? I rembrgng to some home nreno fair, they had this v futuristic and atas looking booth. Spoke to a random ID abt their carpentry charges. Didn't sit down with him thou cos a mental calculation put my reno cost at the 75k to 80k range. Their selling point is life time warranty.....but with all warranties, the devil is in the fine print. 

hi @fingerscross,

Thanks.
Actually, r&r is doing majority of the reno. I sub-con out the kitchen hacking works only.
And yes, their main selling point to me is their lifetime warranty which no other IDs offer. The closest i found is absolook with 5years.

Given that I am intending to live there long-term, i am looking something substainable as well. I don't wish to be having any headache in years to come when things are damaged due to poor workmanship or carpentry works.

Depends on how much reno you are doing and what's your budget, they can roughly work things out. But do note, it will always exceed your budget.
My initial budget was about 42-45k, then time goes by, you will have new ideas/plan that you want to add/amend. That's where the cost start to snowball.

But 75-80k range is on the extreme high side, and for that amount you can reno a whole 5room flat. I yet to see how good their workmanship is, so i can't comment for now. I do hope it's good given the "premium" price that we paid, compared to other IDs/Contractors.

7 hours ago, Clarence Lye said:

hi @fingerscross,

Thanks.
Actually, r&r is doing majority of the reno. I sub-con out the kitchen hacking works only.
And yes, their main selling point to me is their lifetime warranty which no other IDs offer. The closest i found is absolook with 5years.

Given that I am intending to live there long-term, i am looking something substainable as well. I don't wish to be having any headache in years to come when things are damaged due to poor workmanship or carpentry works.

Depends on how much reno you are doing and what's your budget, they can roughly work things out. But do note, it will always exceed your budget.
My initial budget was about 42-45k, then time goes by, you will have new ideas/plan that you want to add/amend. That's where the cost start to snowball.

But 75-80k range is on the extreme high side, and for that amount you can reno a whole 5room flat. I yet to see how good their workmanship is, so i can't comment for now. I do hope it's good given the "premium" price that we paid, compared to other IDs/Contractors.

define lifetime..
The house's lifetime? The company's lifetime? Your lifetime?

Poor workmanship in years to come?
Is it wear and tear or poor workmanship? I am sure there are lots of room to argue, that is if they actually still entertain you IN YEARS TO COME.

Another thing i am sure of.. You will be on their lowest priority the moment you hand them the final payment..

Welcome to the real world.. 

10 hours ago, Actinium said:

define lifetime..

Is it wear and tear or poor workmanship? I am sure there are lots of room to argue, that is if they actually still entertain you IN YEARS TO COME.

Another thing i am sure of.. You will be on their lowest priority the moment you hand them the final payment..

Wah chill buddy.....i used to be in svs line many yrs back....back then the trick to get manufacturers to honour warranty was..."i want to speak to your GM...or i will write to straits times forum!" Now is "i will post social media!" Its about bringing out your nasty side and things will be done. 

With age catching up....i cant find myself doing this. I bot a Lxxxxxo leather sofa some 4 yrs back, was confirmed and double confirmed by the sales man that its 5 yrs warranty for everythg. Leather started to peel by the 2nd yr...lately it got worse. Checked the fine prints....alamak! Warranty only covers the frame....frame will spoil one meh??? Didnt even bother giving them a call.

14 hours ago, Actinium said:

define lifetime..

Although it's lifetime as per claimed, there is no guarantee that the company will be operating till then. But then again, at least you're signing up with a reputable company that has been around for many years rather than a fairly new company (less than 5-10yrs) that is giving lifetime warranty (if there's any)? It's more of comfort level to know at least this company won't suddenly close down? But who knows if they might suddenly run up deep into debts?

Therefore, lifetime warranty = company's lifetime.
So long company exist, you're still covered under their lifetime warranty.

Wear and tear is definitely not covered in any kind of warranty/guarantee coverage, this is for sure. There is no room for negotiation on this. 
Their lifetime warranty coverage doesn't cover wear and tear, any other things are mostly covered. (key wordis mostly, will clarify with them closer to the date and make them write to me in black and white) Such as:
1) Poor workmanship on installation of items (eg your tv console suddenly drop down?)
2) False ceiling got hole, they can come and patch it up for you if it's minor. Major ofcos you have to top up some $
3) Or if your wardrobe roller/track stuck/jam ? They can replace the roller/track for you
4) Laminates on your carpentry all start to peel after 3-5years, they can fix it for you.

These are some of the things I asked and clarified with them, there is definitely more things that are in the exclusion list for sure.
Well if you dont mind changing your items after 3-5years when it starts to spoil then of cos the lifetime warranty is not a factor to consider during reno. For us, we prefer to have something that can last as long as possible until it's really gone case, as most things now adays aren't built to last. 

Regarding the "Lowest priority", I am expecting that to happen. Usually when things happen, companies take forever to get back to you. Not just on reno, it's on everything.
That's where social media and etc comes in and help expedite things. And of cos, knowing the who to go to when there's taiji also plays a part.

Anyway, my reno project is under monitoring by their managing director and HR because i have made multiple complains against them.
I have their direct contact if there's a need for me to blow up matters, and that's provided they would entertain a small fry like me. :dunno:

Just my 2 cents, i might be wrong.

3 hours ago, fingerscrosssaid:

Wah chill buddy.....i used to be in svs line many yrs back....back then the trick to get manufacturers to honour warranty was..."i want to speak to your GM...or i will write to straits times forum!" Now is "i will post social media!" Its about bringing out your nasty side and things will be done. 

With age catching up....icant find myself doing this. I bot a Lxxxxxo leather sofa some 4 yrs back, was confirmed and double confirmed by the sales man that its 5 yrs warranty for everythg. Leather started to peel by the 2nd yr...lately it got worse. Checked the fine prints....alamak! Warranty only covers the frame....frame will spoil one meh??? Didnt even bother giving them a call.

Alot of all these hidden prints which include terms and condition are often not being read. That's why sometimes buy thing also have to think whether it's too good to be true, especially on warranty/guarantee periods.

Edited by Clarence Lye

4 hours ago, matchalatte said:

hello howsyourreno coming along? i like your choice of laminates, im using lamitak as well, somehow i think theirs look nicer than other brands. 

hello! Thanks! Didn't expect to see you here. Haha.

My reno got delayed because there's no available slot during the chinese 7th mth prayer. So gotta wait...

1 hour ago, Clarence Lye said:

hello! Thanks! Didn't expect to see you here. Haha.

My reno got delayed because there's no available slot during the chinese 7th mth prayer. So gotta wait...

lol how come? sorry i havent been really going around reading and commenting on blogs. i hardly ever logged in until i collected my keys. you mean 7th mth subcons all not working?