Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently bought a 67sqm (corridor unit) 34years old resale flat near my parent. After looking for so many flats around the area we finally found one which is high floor and no "ah long" problem. 

Anyway please do pardon my English ok? My grammars and sentence structures are in a mess.

We were suppose to get our flat keys in late dec but the previous owner decided to hand over the keys in early dec and that was when we embarked on our renovation journey. 

As we have no idea how to design our flat we decided to go to an ID for some inspiration. To cut the story short. After going to a couple of IDs (almost vomitted blood after seeing the quotations) and no fewer then 7 contractors (almost signed up with an unlicensed contractor) we decided to hire this HDB licensed contractor named Mr Tan who was introduced by another fellow forum user.

First meeting with the contractor Mr Tan at our place, to be frank I wasn't really impressed. Throughout the discussion, I never see him use the measuring tape he brought along unlike other contractor I have met previously. I was wondering, either this guy "bo chup" or he really experience. It was only later when I questioned him then he told me everything can be measured using the floor plan and that he has done enough projects to know the dimensions inside his head. That was when it dawned on me that I'm really a noob.  

Because our resale is a pretty old flat. My wife and I decided to do a basic overhaul of the place. Unfortunately we are pretty limited by budget and hence we decided to do away with any false ceiling and keep the original floor tiles for the living room, bedrooms and the store room.

We decided to keep the store room even though many advised us to hack it away to enlarge the living room area.

After many sleepless nights and numerous rounds of discussion with my wife and our families and friends we decided to do the followings:

1) hacking of wall and floor tiles of common and masterbedroom toilet 
2) hacking wall and floor tiles of kitchen 
3) hacking of kitchen cabinet 
4) hacking of light boxes and cornices (whole house)
5) laying wall and floor tiles for kitchen and x2 toilet
5) rewiring 
6) plastering (whole house) + painting (whole house)
7) carpentary for kitchen cabinet, wardrobe in masterbedroom, casement shelve, shoe cabinet, suspended tv console. 
? Windows (kitchen window falling off hence no choice have got to change and decided to change for whole house rather then just the kitchen alone)

Anyways, again to cut the story short. Of all the quotations given by at least 7 contractors, his company's pricing was decent and is pretty accommodating to our request. Hence after seeing a few photos of his work we decided to engage his services.

1st appt with Mr Tan as our contractor, he came to pick us up and we went to hafary at Eunos to choose our tiles for kitchen and the x2 toilet. I must say my wife and I really see until blur and got lost in the world of tiles. Luckily he was there to guide us along and giving us his inputs for our choice of tiles. Finally after 3 hours we manage to finalise on the tiles selection.  Now that we have chosen the tiles, the next step will be hacking!

Will upload some photos of the tiles that we chose as well as photos of the hacking soon.

Have a good week ahead everyone!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi there, do you mind sharing your quote with me? am looking to do some reno for my 3rm resale too... thank you! :) can pm me..

On 9 April 2017 at 8:50 PM, ig23 said:

hi there, do you mind sharing your quote with me? am looking to do some reno for my 3rm resale too... thank you! :) can pm me..

Check ur pm~ all the best to ur own reno journey

Hi abyssal85

I also bought a 3 rroom resale as my bachelor pad and has a similar layout as yours. Could you share your quote with me?

Thanks and good luck to your reno journey!

Cheers

On 15 April 2017 at 11:15 PM, hoWL said:

Hi abyssal85

I also bought a 3 rroom resale as my bachelor pad and has a similar layout as yours. Could you share your quote with me?

Thanks and good luck to your reno journey!

Cheers

Pm~ pls check and all good luck! 

Been pretty busy at work lately and haven't got the time to give any updates~ will try to do somemore write up this weekend. For those that have asked for quotes etc, I have already pm u guys~ good luck!

On 4/9/2017 at 8:07 PM, abyssal85 said:

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently bought a 67sqm (corridor unit) 34years old resale flat near my parent. After looking for so many flats around the area we finally found one which is high floor and no "ah long" problem. 

Anyway please do pardon my English ok? My grammars and sentence structures are in a mess.

We were suppose to get our flat keys in late dec but the previous owner decided to hand over the keys in early dec and that was when we embarked on our renovation journey. 

Hi @abyssal85, may I have the contact? Thank you!