Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi everyone, 

I'm currently sourcing to acquire a single-storey property with land area about 2,500 sq ft in order to perform A&A (to add 50% to GFA) or to reconstruct into a 2.5-storeys home. 

According to several fellow members, a budget of $300 psf for reconstruction is achievable in 2017 but it all depends on the design and materials used.

Are you able to recommend a reliable architect as well as to advise the budget that I need to set aside for either A&A and reconstruction? It is much appreciated!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Felixius, once you add another storey, it will not qualify as A&A and will be labelled as a reconstruction. PM me for architect's contact. You may also want to consider D&B by a builder if budget is your primary concern.

• Like 1

D & B path may not come cheap after the whole construction.

For a single storey, it will be best to rebuild other than A&A or reconstruction.

I am currently now reconstructing my house from a 2 storey to 2.5 storey.  PM me if you need my architect's contact.

Edited by cymon

• Like 1

If you rebuild you can maximise your build up for more living space. Agree that depending on your design &  300 psf looks workable for design & build reconstruction. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Adding more than 50% to GFA will be considered a rebuild so you might as well do it. It will allow you to maximize your GFA as well get a house design customized to your desires. Getting an architect will help you with the initial design and submission. You still need to spend time telling them what you want. Doing a D&B will save this fee but you really must know what you want and not make lots of changes in the process, else that will cost you more overall. If you enjoy the journey of managing and seeing your new house being build, D&B will be suitable but if you have no time nor the desire, than getting an architect will help you greatly.

• Like 2

Hi all, I managed to zoom into a well-maintained 2-storey inter-terrace with LA 1620sqft and 2200 BUA. According to Masterplan, max 3 storey is permitted.

Any idea what is the cost of adding another 1.5 storey to maximise the BUA?

you need to get hold of the structural plans for the existing house and get the PE to calculate whether the existing structure can take the load of the additional 1.5 storey. If you haven't bought the house, then the existing owners need to get the plans for you since the plans would not be available to any 3rd party without owner's authorization.

anyway, I think chances of adding 1.5 storey on existing structure would be quite slim unless the existing columns can be reinforced to take up the additional load. if such major works to existing structure needs to be done, might as well go for a total rebuilt.

After a wait of several months, I’m finally going to exercise the OTP of my 2-storey inter-terrace this month. If situation permits, I’m planning to add 1-1.5 storey to maximise the buildup area. URA masterplan indicates max 3 storey for landed housing.

Condition of the FH inter-terrace is good (built around 1990s) and seller is staying in it. Land area : 1619 sq ft (150.4 sq m) / Current Build up : approx 2000-2100sq ft

I have tried asking my seller’s property agent to obtain a copy of the floor/structural plan for my reference, to confirm the actual build up area but he kept telling me that the seller doesn’t have it and his most recent reply is that “please talk to your architect or builder. They know the process of getting the floor plan. We closed a few cases in Dec...” As such, I will be buying the property with no clue of actual build up area and structural details.

With an indicative budget of say $400-500k, is it possible to do a reconstruction to add the 1.5 storey?

An architect has roughly quoted $600k+ for the job excluding carpentry. I couldn’t discuss with him further since I do not have the floor plan.

I’m in no hurry to proceed wth this plan as i can relook at it 1-2 years later. Please kindly advise

(1) Reconstruction Budget of $400-500k to add another 1000-2000 sq ft. Is it feasible?

(2) if I go for A&A to expand/extend the bedrooms and redo the kitchen area and car porch thereby adding 500-1000 sq ft, what will the cost be?

Edited by Felixius

It is not possible to do A & A as you have exceeded more than 50% to the GFA. It will be considered recon (edited from "rebuilt" to "recon"). 

Also, the structure likely not able to support to build upwards, and will definitely need to build extra beams subject to soil condition.  

What I understand is just for A&A IT, land about 1600sqft, it will cost around $300-$400k. To add an additional level, increase front & back, a contractor previously quoted me $800K bare unit (Increasing GFA by additional 90%)

I did a rebuilt on my purchased OLD property, land ~2000sf from 2 to 2.5, extending front & back, increasing GFA by about 90%, simple materials, about $1m (excludes carpentry/ toiletries/ Lightings). Is it consider reasonable? Wish I have found this forum earlier and could have find out more.  

Edited by nana1977

9 minutes ago, nana1977 said:

It is not possible to do A & A as you have exceeded more than 50% to the GFA. It will be considered rebuilt. 

Also, the structure likely not able to support to build upwards, and will definitely need to build extra beams subject to soil condition.  

What I understand is just for A&A IT, land about 1600sqft, it will cost around $300-$400k. To add an additional level, increase front & back, a contractor previously quoted me $800K bare unit (Increasing GFA by additional 90%)

I did a rebuilt on my purchased OLD property, land ~2000sf from 2 to 2.5, extending front & back, increasing GFA by about 90%, simple materials, about $1m (excludes carpentry/ toiletries/ Lightings). Is it consider reasonable? Wish I have found this forum earlier and could have find out more.  

actually correct term for >50% is reconstruction.

<50% - A&A
>50% - Reconstruction
Total teardown - Redevelopment/New Erection

how much is your additional GFA? normally when adding so much (90%) GFA it would be better to just do a new built rather than reconstruction as the cost difference is marginal. for $1M, it is possible to do a new built.

Oh yes, I wrote wrongly, I did a re-con. 

Original is about ~2100sqft, now GFA ~3950sqft, built in ~5000sqft.

If I do a rebuilt, I think it will cost me $200k more. I didnt do much homework on construction cost or get a few quotations, cos heard many horror stories or delayed projects. I am happy with my contractor who provides me weekly updates, reliable, responsive and still provides me after TOP services. I also don't go to site at all till the last 3 months (I am lazy) heee. He completed it for me within 16 months. :)

Edited by nana1977

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

Just an update. I’ve completed the purchase of my 2 storey inter-terrace in April 2018 and have a copy of the BCA building plan on hand. Masterplan allows upto max 3 storey. Current built-up area is about 2000 sq ft and I hope to increase to 3000 sq ft. 

The current structure of the property is still good and design is modern. Its roof is high and actually can allow an attic to be added. By looking at the BCA plan, my premise has drawings of an attic but it was “cancelled” and I guessed that the developer did not create the attic and leave it to respective owners to add on their own..... My friend told me that “attic” is obsolete and most owners would prefer to build a full 3rd storey with roof access. I’m open to ideas.

With a tight budget of $300k, kindly advise whether I can (1) create additional space by adding 1 to 1.5 storey via a reconstruction and/or (2) add just an attic via an A&A and/or (3) extend the car porch with balcony access on second floor (existing structure doesn’t have this).

If you have a good architect or builder to recommend, please introduce. 

"attic" is not obsolete and never will be. it depends on whether there is a need for the attic to be built or not. since your zoning allows you to built up to 3 storey, the attic becomes "optional" since normally 2 storey houses will add on an attic to get more space.

do bear in mind that if you plan to build up additional storey, you will be subjected to the current envelope control so your additional floor and attic must be within the allowable buildable envelope.

for $300k, budget seems quite tight to build an additional storey and attic. best is get some quotations from builders on whether the extensions can be done with this budget or not