Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pumpkinpie

Renovation for resale condo

Hi all,

I just bought a 2 bedroom condo (969 soft) and will be getting keys in mid-September. Our plan is to move in November (preferably by 1 Nov), with minor renovation to be done - whole kitchen (small), hack old tv console/build new one, repaint all the walls, repolish marble floors. When should we start shopping around for contractors? how much time is needed to do the above works? How much more time is needed if we decide to hack the flooring and redo flooring (change to engineered wood)?

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I think 1 month should be enough to complete everything since you mentioned it's minor Reno? Including replacing flooring? But you may want to start searching for contractors one or two months ahead to ensure they can start at your required date and for u to compare prices? 

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM, pumpkinpie said:

Hi all,

I just bought a 2 bedroom condo (969 soft) and will be getting keys in mid-September. Our plan is to move in November (preferably by 1 Nov), with minor renovation to be done - whole kitchen (small), hack old tv console/build new one, repaint all the walls, repolish marble floors. When should we start shopping around for contractors? how much time is needed to do the above works? How much more time is needed if we decide to hack the flooring and redo flooring (change to engineered wood)?

Thanks!

Hi pumpkinpie, you should start at least 2 months before your move in date.

You may like to get a few quotes and designs from your interior firms and confirm your contractor best by late sep , so that your contractor can execute whatever needs to be done latest by mid oct ( give yourself a week extra so to ensure all things are prep without rush), and the last week of oct you can purchase furnitures and electronics + do a final check with your contractor to check for touchups. 

Of course, you can start earlier to ease your schedule and to source out more interior design firms 

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM, pumpkinpie said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

If you are doing hacking and redoing whole room fooring for engineered wood, gradually give yourself 4-5 days safest maximum 

Do tell your flooring contractor to apply screeding of floor + floor soundproofing as well 

Thanks for your replies!

I have one question regarding the kitchen overhaul - do we need to confirm on the type of cooker, hob, sink and refrigerator beforehand so that the contractor knows where to cut out the opening in the countertop and how to do the cabinets? 

Regarding re-doing the flooring, do we need to complete this first before renovating the kitchen or room wardrobes? For flooring, any recommendations on companies? Anyone used Wood & wood or The Floor Gallery? Is there much difference in price between timber flooring and engineered flooring?

Thanks!

Hi again,

I just checked with the timber supplier and was given a quote of $12-$20 psf for white oak engineered flooring. Price includes supply and installation. Is this a reasonable price? They do not do hacking, cement screeding or soundproofing. Does anyone know how much it cost to include a contractor to do hacking/cement screeding/sound proofing?

Thanks!

On ‎29‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:35 PM, pumpkinpie said:

I have one question regarding the kitchen overhaul - do we need to confirm on the type of cooker, hob, sink and refrigerator beforehand so that the contractor knows where to cut out the opening in the countertop and how to do the cabinets? 

you should have a good idea of what type of appliances you want to get so your ID/contractor would know how much space to leave out and what size to cut out.

if you tell your contractor to cut out a 60cm hole in your countertop, you would not be able to use a 70cm or 80cm wide cooker.

or if you cater only say 80cm width for fridge, you would not be able to buy a 2 door fridge which would be 90cm in width. same for height as well.

do also understand that appliances don't last forever. so if you built a space just nice to fit in a fridge which you choose now, you may not find back a fridge of the exact same size in future if you need to replace the fridge.

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 6:35 PM, pumpkinpie said:

Thanks for your replies!

Regarding re-doing the flooring, do we need to complete this first before renovating the kitchen or room wardrobes? For flooring, any recommendations on companies? Anyone used Wood & wood or The Floor Gallery? Is there much difference in price between timber flooring and engineered flooring?

Thanks!

Hi pumpkinpie apologies for late reply, yes and i suggest you to inform your contractor to leave extra spacings for your fridge, hob and others. Let's say if you plan to build built-in fridge, you should inform your contractor and make sure to indicate extra cms to your in built cabinet depth (+6-10cm), width (+6-10cm) and height(+6-10cm) so you may not to worry for replacements. Usually, a contractor/ interior designer will take care for you, so not to worry but just gently remind them if you need to

As for flooring, yes you definitely need to do up first before the former. 

You can try floor gallery and evorich. I am involved in a flooring business as well

Timber flooring is less expensive than engineered flooring, yet you should get a flooring that suits your expectations.

Edited by threelightsinterior
Edited the range of allowance to 6-10cm to give more freedom of future fridge selections

On Monday, May 01, 2017 at 0:33 PM, pumpkinpie said:

Hi again,

I just checked with the timber supplier and was given a quote of $12-$20 psf for white oak engineered flooring. Price includes supply and installation. Is this a reasonable price? They do not do hacking, cement screeding or soundproofing. Does anyone know how much it cost to include a contractor to do hacking/cement screeding/sound proofing?

Thanks!

It's slightly higher price, i suggest you should try to reduce price with your supplier. Some charges a few dollars lower from say 16-17 psf or even less.

The price of hacking is costly, let me get back to you on this again. 

Alternatively i suggest you can overlay your floor to prevent a burn in your pocket, however i suggest you should bring your contractor/ interior designer down to your house to have a clear assessment if is suitable.