Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

We engaged Stephen Yap from - to assist with our renovation. After the first meeting, he turned out to be aggressive and wanted to have his way. He refused to allow us to choose any designs we wanted and insisted that he is the interior designer and that he knows best. He refused to make amendments to the quotation and when we complained to the - management about this, Ivy Lim (Finance and Admin Director) mentioned that we have to agree to whatever they say, they cannot amend the contract and that they cannot re-assign our project to another interior designer. Truly shocking for such a large establishment. They forced us to cancel the contract so that they can walk away and take the easy option. Do not trust this company. They are not interior designers. They are HDB registered but not CASE or RADAC registered. There is no customer service here, they are only after quick bucks. 

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I can empathise with your pain.  Which firm is this?  Can you ping me so that I can avoid them as well.  We've also met up with an ID recently who appeared quite assertive on using her suggested designs even though we don't quite like it - in the end, we didn't sign up with her company.  I/m still looking for one but really have phobia about appointing one - as there appears to be some crooked ID companies out there!

Is this reno company located at 178 paya lebar? On my way on bus to work, always see, I think that office outside forever have flower baskets like newly open office right? Sometimes even balloons…

I am surprised that your project cannot be assigned to his manager or someone else.  Hope they did refund your deposit since they cancelled and walk away. You must have signed a package of rigid items which some IDs refused to be flexible even for amending length of kitchen cabinets from the usual 20 ft to smaller quantity.  Therefore, it is best to get an itemised package, not a lump sum package, especially it has many freebies which I believed is selected based on their costs rather than to your needs. Also be very careful of those cash vouchers to shops selling sanitary ware, lightings, curtains, etc. because they are not cheap.

With the low costs of advertising of social media, a lot of experienced and good designers with good customer service have left such large companies to start up on their own.  They would have built up a strong referral client base which is the most effective. No need to share half of their commissions with the bosses and no boss to report to.  Hence these small IDs or contractors with low overheads or zero overhead if they work from home, can be very competitive vs the large companies.  Once they get their HDB licence after a year of operating on private property projects and exams, they are usually reliable and should do a good job if you deal with the license holder, not the salesman.  A lot of run away IDs discussed here in this forum like the recent news on Carpentry Design Works are not HDB licensed and offered a lot of freebies and discounts to attract unsuspecting clients.  

On the other hand, large companies like CXXX Interiors are no longer around.  Therefore, it is best to follow the HDB registered designers that you like over several projects and see their works and workmanships, before you appoint them.  Never based your decisions solely on 3D drawings, size of company, past reputations, trophies awards which can be bought, or have own factory which may have poor workmanships as some large carpentry factories carpenters come and go.  If you follow the projects over time, you can even specify the team of carpenters subcons of worksmanship which you have seen and are satisfied with.  If they are forthcoming with their current and past works and show them to you sincerely, let you talk to the owners, I think you can work with them on your renovations.