Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanYTH

My Modern Zen 2-Room 35sqm (Type 1) HDB BTO Apartment Renovation Journey

5 hours ago, May_dream1 said:

philips sales is once a year so worth to go and have a look lah..... last time i also buy like 4-5 months in advance. they can keep the stock for you if you do see anything you want. but if small electrical items like rice cooker, vacuum cleaner etc, you can put at your current place. will not take too much space.

Only once a year? Noted Thanks! :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 5/9/2017 at 11:27 PM, ryanyth said:

Some basic criteria i needed from the textures of the tiles I want:
1) Flooring for the Kitchen is going to be mildly rough because if I do some deep frying and make the kitchen oily,
it will not be as easy to slip and fall compared to a more smooth floor.

Oh yea while browsing around in Lazada, I found THE EXACT LAMP that i wanted for my BEDROOM!!!!! OMG!!! :wub::wub::wub:
Wow, but at $50 each, they aren't exactly cheap, :( but ..... MEH why not right? I went ahead checked with Jason about their dimensions,
and once he says they are fine for the bedroom, i proceeded to buy them. I look forward to seeing them when they arrive!! :D

when tile is rough it is not slippery, yes. but it is also more difficult to clean cos oil will stick onto it easier too. 

I bought a similar lamp from TB. lost the link and price but it shd be < $20 but of cos the plug is for china and not for sg. just need an adapter to use it in sg.

cant wait to see ur further update! :D

• Like 1

Is your electronics , like oven , aircon , heater already included in your 20k ?

25k for such a small flat if purely on renovating (not including extra furnitures / ovens/ heaters/ aircon) feel painful :S..

False ceiling?
Platform bedroom? 
hard to see from ur 5d planner doesnt allow to view 3d ... wierd.
Overlay toilet and kitchen (same idea too )  (planning to remove the cloth hanger and install steigan brand THAT , or get samsung dryer washing machine ) lol 
mine 47 sqm.. but years to go la.. at least ur getting yours.. now... lololx... sianzz

On 5/21/2017 at 4:32 PM, Melvin Kin said:

Is your electronics , like oven , aircon , heater already included in your 20k ?

25k for such a small flat if purely on renovating (not including extra furnitures / ovens/ heaters/ aircon) feel painful :S..

False ceiling?
Platform bedroom? 
hard to see from ur 5d planner doesnt allow to view 3d ... wierd.
Overlay toilet and kitchen (same idea too )  (planning to remove the cloth hanger and install steigan brand THAT , or get samsung dryer washing machine ) lol 
mine 47 sqm.. but years to go la.. at least ur getting yours.. now... lololx... sianzz

Nope electrical appliances aren't factored in the 25k. I budget 10k for that. Furniture is also separately budgeted at another 10k
I'm guessing ill probably not use up the whole budget I set but I thought I'd just put extra aside just in case.

My links do allow 3D view. You need to click on the icon on the right panel that says "3D".
Is there anyone else who is unable to see the 3D view in my 3D design in 5D planner? Do let me know, I'll probably do a screenshot or something for folks who are unable to access.

You're lucky u got a 47sqm. However, based on your reply in the other 2 room thread... I'm ... not sure if a 2 room flat is a good choice for you though.:huh:
No offence, but your infamous quote categorizing 2 roomers being "mishapen and twisted individuals" ruffled more than a few feathers...:rolleyes:
Maybe u want to give up your 2 room and give other 2 roomers a chance and consider buying a resale 3 room or even a much bigger resale 4 room instead?

Just saying.

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 11:28 PM, ryanyth said:

Blog Entry Date: 23rd May 2017 Tuesday

Over the weekend I attended a HDB Roadshow that was basically a RC event to familiarize everyone in my future estate on our future neighbourhood in Admiralty.

Interestingly, they also took actual onsite photos of apartments of people who chose OCS components for their apartment and displayed them as a slideshow. (This is very useful information because for the first time I can finally visualize how it actually looks like when my apartment is completed and this is good info to show my ID.)

Living Room Area Shot 2:

20170521_111739.jpg.36e2f6f5f9841e0cc282dfdce5e7088e.jpg

Toilet:

20170521_111750.jpg.efaf67447e7b2c63fc7f7c5759eb3c77.jpg

so good! how come I dun have this kind of event back then.

I notice there is no door track for bedroom door, good for u!

the bathroom tiles looks quite nice, a pity u gonna overlay.

1 suggestion, can you post a reply to this thread that you have updated an entry? that will prompt us that an entry was made. Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mmoh said:

so good! how come I dun have this kind of event back then.

I notice there is no door track for bedroom door, good for u!

the bathroom tiles looks quite nice, a pity u gonna overlay.

1 suggestion, can you post a reply to this thread that you have updated an entry? that will prompt us that an entry was made. Thanks.

HDB didnt invite u to any event during the time u were waiting for your flat ma? I thought this was standard procedure for all estates. Anyway is nothing one, just MP come here smile smile and give away free umbrella only. Most of the info there already within that brochure they gave when u first apply for the flat.

Ya I also notice the ground got no door track heng. But sian the small wall and sliding door that I wanna hack away got electrical outlets. While ID say still can hack away, I'm guessing rewiring will add more money.

Thanks for the suggestion! If there is a new blog entry I'll post a reply. Yea this is one of the side effect of trying to have all the blog entries in one readable go and I also not sure if I allocated enuff for future posts too considering I haven't get key yet lol!

Eventually after all is finish, I'll also put a "table of contents" at first page to help navigate better too.

Edited by ryanyth

4 hours ago, ryanyth said:

HDB didnt invite u to any event during the time u were waiting for your flat ma? I thought this was standard procedure for all estates. Anyway is nothing one, just MP come here smile smile and give away free umbrella only. Most of the info there already within that brochure they gave when u first apply for the flat.

Ya I also notice the ground got no door track heng. But sian the small wall and sliding door that I wanna hack away got electrical outlets. While ID say still can hack away, I'm guessing rewiring will add more money.

Thanks for the suggestion! If there is a new blog entry I'll post a reply. Yea this is one of the side effect of trying to have all the blog entries in one readable go and I also not sure if I allocated enuff for future posts too considering I haven't get key yet lol!

Eventually after all is finish, I'll also put a "table of contents" at first page to help navigate better too.

no have! :( I havent even see my MP in person. but then I did not attend any of the RC event also lah.

Yes they will charge on the rewiring. I was being charged rewiring of powerpoints, tv point, telephone point, internet point as my platform is blocking all these. Initially I thought I will be charged 1 rewiring only... >_<

Wow... I finally saw a 35sqm hse pic!!!!! Thank you very much!!!!  

I am also happy the bedroom sliding door doesn't have the track at the tiles.. And also there is a wall at the top.. Not full sliding.. My ID was asking me and i had no clue coz planning to place my bedroom aircon at that area.. 

But super sad to see the kitchen... Sooooo small.. And the floor plan very similar to mine... 

Place fridge, washing machine, stove and sink.. Not much kitchen cabinet space for me.... T_T

i have to bank in on the top area for cabinets since bottom hardly will have space... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RuFus58 said:

Wow... I finally saw a 35sqm hse pic!!!!! Thank you very much!!!!  

I am also happy the bedroom sliding door doesn't have the track at the tiles.. And also there is a wall at the top.. Not full sliding.. My ID was asking me and i had no clue coz planning to place my bedroom aircon at that area.. 

But super sad to see the kitchen... Sooooo small.. And the floor plan very similar to mine... 

Place fridge, washing machine, stove and sink.. Not much kitchen cabinet space for me.... T_T

i have to bank in on the top area for cabinets since bottom hardly will have space... 

image.jpg

You're welcome Rufus :)

Yea I breath a sigh of relief too when there were no tracks on the floor compared to hdb's own showroom the last I was there.

The wall or beam at the ceiling between bedroom and living room would be perfect to install 2 aircons with each aircon blowing each side.

Kitchen wise is true is really small. I'm worried my design will be cramp but somehow my ID jason say it's workable but I do need to remove the laundry rack.

Man I still wanna keep the rack tho and I'm not keen to put a laundry rack outside my apartment to dry my clothes. Any good alternatives to hang laundry indoor other then getting a electric clothes dryer? :(

Edited by ryanyth

3 hours ago, ryanyth said:

You're welcome Rufus :)

Yea I breath a sigh of relief too when there were no tracks on the floor compared to hdb's own showroom the last I was there.

The wall or beam at the ceiling between bedroom and living room would be perfect to install 2 aircons with each aircon blowing each side.

Kitchen wise is true is really small. I'm worried my design will be cramp but somehow my ID jason say it's workable but I do need to remove the laundry rack.

Man I still wanna keep the rack tho and I'm not keen to put a laundry rack outside my apartment to dry my clothes. Any good alternatives to hang laundry indoor other then getting a electric clothes dryer? :(

Hi ryanyth, very informative blog, and thank you for sharing your renovation journey!

How about using a retractable clothesline?

https://www.amazon.com/Minky-Retractable-Outdoor-98-Feet-Drying/dp/B001CJ12QO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495675195&sr=8-3&keywords=Retractable+clothesline

I have not used these contraptions before btw :D. But was trying to solve the same problem of where to hang laundry in a small space. 

Edit:

Or just use some cordage with hooks mounted on opposing walls and tie off when hanging laundry.

Edited by jothm

2 hours ago, ryanyth said:

if you prefer sun dry laundry, which side is facing east? what time will you be drying your laundry most of the time? am or pm? then you can see which window will have the most sunlight.

my kitchen's external laundry rack do not get any sunlight at all through out the day. so i have also removed the laundry rack to give my small kitchen more space.

I have also considered those standing rack but then it take up space and the clothes seems cramp together and I wonder will the clothes get enough sun light. My living and bed room is facing east and i will be hanging the laundry in the morning most of the time. So I have also thought of retractable clothesline just like those in hotel. But the longest length I have found is 2.8m while my living room is 3+ m.

At the end, I bought a metal pole and V-shaped bracket from a nearby hardware shop at $18 and get them to cut the pole to the length I want. Contractors helped to install the bracket onto the wall and hidden by my curtain. The picture should be self explanatory.

So far I am happy with the result and most of the time my friend didnt notice that there is a pole. :D

592638ffd748c_Laundrypole.jpg.c9bf07a0fefeb309d0184ffd03a344c8.jpg

Edited by mmoh

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jothm said:

Hi ryanyth, very informative blog, and thank you for sharing your renovation journey!

How about using a retractable clothesline?

https://www.amazon.com/Minky-Retractable-Outdoor-98-Feet-Drying/dp/B001CJ12QO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495675195&sr=8-3&keywords=Retractable+clothesline

I have not used these contraptions before btw :D. But was trying to solve the same problem of where to hang laundry in a small space. 

Edit:

Or just use some cordage with hooks mounted on opposing walls and tie off when hanging laundry.

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for visiting my blog :)

The contraption u recommend look very strange. Looks more like a heater then something to do with laundry tbh and i have no idea how it works. Looks like its more for oudoor? but it is still interesting to see such a thing available tho.

Cordage with hooks is an idea but I have no idea if my kitchen got space to hang or not.

I guess I was hoping someone makes a half size retractable laundry rack or something perhaps? :D

3 hours ago, mmoh said:

if you prefer sun dry laundry, which side is facing east? what time will you be drying your laundry most of the time? am or pm? then you can see which window will have the most sunlight.

my kitchen's external laundry rack do not get any sunlight at all through out the day. so i have also removed the laundry rack to give my small kitchen more space.

I have also considered those standing rack but then it take up space and the clothes seems cramp together and I wonder will the clothes get enough sun light. My living and bed room is facing east and i will be hanging the laundry in the morning most of the time. So I have also thought of retractable clothesline just like those in hotel. But the longest length I have found is 2.8m while my living room is 3+ m.

At the end, I bought a metal pole and V-shaped bracket from a nearby hardware shop at $18 and get them to cut the pole to the length I want. Contractors helped to install the bracket onto the wall and hidden by my curtain. The picture should be self explanatory.

So far I am happy with the result and most of the time my friend didnt notice that there is a pole. :D

592638ffd748c_Laundrypole.jpg.c9bf07a0fefeb309d0184ffd03a344c8.jpg

I never sun dry my clothes. They are all indoor air dry.

The best is if there is some sort of half sized retractable clothesline that would be great. I normally immediately put clothes into hangars then hang them up, so when they are dry I can just take them down and one shot put in wardrobe.

Installing a makeshift pole is a clever idea but...do I really want my living room to be lined with a row of laundry covering the window? :huh:

4 hours ago, ryanyth said:

I never sun dry my clothes. They are all indoor air dry.

The best is if there is some sort of half sized retractable clothesline that would be great. I normally immediately put clothes into hangars then hang them up, so when they are dry I can just take them down and one shot put in wardrobe.

Installing a makeshift pole is a clever idea but...do I really want my living room to be lined with a row of laundry covering the window? :huh:

when the morning sun is so shiny and bright, I dun mind the clothes to help block the sunlight. of course it is unsightly when there is visitors but then the chances of having laundry (in the early morning) + visitor is so low that it is negligible for me. But then that is for me. Since you dun need sunlight, then the ceiling rack will be good.

the down side of retractable clothesline (eg. those in hotel) is: it will not be a straight line after hanging the hangers as the weight will pull the hangers to the center and it becomes V-shaped instead. Hope you understand what I am trying to explain... :P

Edited by mmoh