Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanYTH

My Modern Zen 2-Room 35sqm (Type 1) HDB BTO Apartment Renovation Journey

Blog Entry Date: 21st October 2017 Saturday
Click Here to go back to Page 1 - Table of Contents

Shopping for Furnitures and Electrical Appliances

As the day of my Renovation Completion draws near, its time to start getting my Furnitures and Appliances. Below are the list of items I bought. This list will be updated as and when I buy more stuffs, so do keep a lookout for it. :D

When everything is done, I will also upload a Budgeting Spreadsheet listing out every single thing I bought, including Total Cost of Renovations, Extra to Pay, Furnitures, Appliances, ETC so you can have a rough idea of how much to save up.

Personally I haven't been super diligent with buying items only from Taobao or Malaysia, or sourced for the absolute cheapest deals. I just found a good time when local outlets are having promotions or sales and I just bought from them. So your mileage may vary.
#SupportLocalEconomy :D

------------------------------------------------------------------
Electrical Appliances

Courts
- Samsung 55" UHD 4K TV - UA55MU7000KXXS
I'm gonna Wall Mount it of course. Paid $2868 for this.
(Promotion comes with a extra free 40" FHD TV, but I can trade it in for $450 cash instead)

59ea304210740_Courts-SamsungUA55MU7000KXXSTV.jpg.eeb1b232bd37b5f458c61e9236dca3e0.jpg

Courts - Samsung HW-M360XS 2.1 Wireless Soundbar with Subwoofer
This came along with the earlier Samsung TV as part of a promotion.

59ea3041b6d65_Courts-SamsungHW-M360XS2.1WirelessSoundbarwithSubwoofer.jpg.4f476f6059bc2b97d46a7945f9133340.jpg

Courts - LG GBB2731PZ 2 Door Refridgerator
Paid $979 for this. Love how it looks like and I hope it can compliment nicely in my Kitchen. :D

59ea344492acd_Courts-LGGBB2731PZ2DoorRefridgerator.jpg.353bc5a1fa55c0220b1530dcdeb4226f.jpg

Courts - LG WFT1081DD Top Load Washer
Paid $799 for this. Comes with 1 year of free Washing Detergent i think.

59ea30416eaed_Courts-LGWFT1081DDTopLoadWasher.jpg.ce7232232fa82bf2d93ced29aab1077f.jpg

Sembawang Lighting House - Crestar 46" iCol Black Ceiling Fan (No Lamp, Wall Regulator)
Total Cost $248 + $50 for installation.

icol-mblack.jpg.e5ac7a4142d18d43d9812088227848ce.jpg

Originally I wanted to get a Dyson Standing Fan because of how sleek it looks, and I didn't want my ceiling to have anything hanging to preserve a clean open ceiling look.

However, not only are Dyson Standing Fans rediculously expensive (Over $500 in some shops), wind speed also not good unless its set to highest settings and even so, is very noisy. So for practical purposes and better air circulation, I decided to get a ceiling fan after all.

Originally wanted to get KDK fan due to its brand name, but fell in love with this fan's modern sleek look. Tested the fan speed and it felt pretty breezy. Decided to go for Wall Regulator instead of Remote because I've read that Remote Control usually cause alot of issues, even with KDK fans.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Furnitures

Courts - Sven 2RR Fabric Recliner Sofa. (Price - $899)
I love how comfortable this sofa felt, and the colour was perfect for the theme of my apartment :D

59ea34451f271_Courts-Sven2RRFabricReclinerSofa.jpg.03dfed99d4e7c54e848eb6a609ab5f24.jpg

Courts - Colony Side Table (Price - $59)
Can't afford the space to put a regular Coffee Table at the Living Room, so this will have to do.
:wacko:
59ea34441fb1e_Courts-ColonySideTable.jpg.3802f6930533ad7b9b4f6c5352cc2c1b.jpg

Star Living - Jack Extendable TV Console Table (Price - $699)
I like how this one fits in nicely to the theme I have for my apartment. Very Expensive though.
:o
59ea344573d35_StarLiving-JackExtendableTVConsole.jpg.0dddd84e0df13c67bcef9b0f4118b42e.jpg

V-Hive - Dino L-Shaped Desk (Price - $299)
This will be my Computer Table right next to the Living Room DB-Box.

59ea3445be777_Vhive-DinoL-ShapedDesk.jpg.35bee19892cad55af517e701b1d8c083.jpg

V-Hive - Zoe Office Chair (Price - $169)
Office chair used with my Computer Table.

59ea344670619_VHive-ZoeOfficeChair.jpg.01b84286d787afe94be4e77f84e30085.jpg

V-Hive - Leo Marble Trolley (Price - $199)
I really like how this looks. I'll put this in my Kitchen for use as extra Counter-Top / Storage. :D

59ea344611598_Vhive-LeoMarbleTrolley.jpg.ca096bb29a2242f69cb3c19114d25294.jpg

So thats about all the items I bought so far.
As I mentioned earlier, I'll be using this page to add any more stuffs that I buy, so do stay tuned! :)

Click Here for the Next Blog Entry:
6th week after Key Collection. My Lightings are a Mess!!

Edited by ryanyth

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

wow ryan, so much progress since i last viewed your post..  (was busy with Deepavali and sick for almost 2wks)

Now that I pop in, its  like your hse is already 50% settled. :yeah:
even the furnitures and electrical appliences have been brought.
(I so like your sofa!!!! its something what i am looking for too) :good:
The work station looks nice too, can even double up as dinning table.
Looking forward to see once the lights and bathroom fixtures are up! (see how $3000 looks after being intstalled.. lol)
I really have to applaud your determination. you bought almost all from different places. I dono i will have the energy to do it.
Especially the furnishing items. It takes a lot of time and effort to search for the most ideal type to suit the hse theme. i don't even know where to look for a 1 shop that i can get all items..
(electrical items i have already decided to get from Kong Tai as they give the best price)

And your carpentery sketches.. soo cheem.. hahaha.. this part, i really will have to take my ID's word for it.
i sux at art & drawing. really cannot visual anything about all these until Yvonne vomit blood. i just ask her show me 3D to prevent her early demise. :P

*No worries abt the DB box. i offered to get 2nd quote as i find $750 is like daylight robbery. I am happy you manage to get it $350. Yvonne will be cool about it. Of course have to pick the best price, plus he is your carpenter, if can squeeze him to do up as a free gift.. even better.. hahaha.

New Entry: Blog Entry Date: 24th October 2017 Tuesday
Click Here to Access.

Updates: 6th week after Key Collection (My Lightings are a Mess!!)

Just when I thought Renovation is going smoothly....
EVERYTHING SUDDENLY GOES HAYWIRE WITH LIGHTINGS!!!! :~

Edited by ryanyth

4 hours ago, RuFus58 said:

wow ryan, so much progress since i last viewed your post..  (was busy with Deepavali and sick for almost 2wks)
Thanks for visiting. I hope you're doing fine now. (You got sick because eat too much delicious Deepavali Treats right? :D)

Now that I pop in, its  like your hse is already 50% settled. :yeah:
even the furnitures and electrical appliences have been brought.
(I so like your sofa!!!! its something what i am looking for too) :good:
The work station looks nice too, can even double up as dinning table.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you and Thank you. Really shop until i drop lol. :D

Looking forward to see once the lights and bathroom fixtures are up! (see how $3000 looks after being intstalled.. lol)
Hue hue hue~ Wait till you see my latest stress post lol. Lightings Disaster~ lol.... :D .... :(

I really have to applaud your determination. you bought almost all from different places. I dono i will have the energy to do it.
Especially the furnishing items. It takes a lot of time and effort to search for the most ideal type to suit the hse theme. i don't even know where to look for a 1 shop that i can get all items..
(electrical items i have already decided to get from Kong Tai as they give the best price)
Actually for me is already considered lazy. The really diligent ones scour for the best deals on Taobao and even go Malaysia to get the absolute best deals.
The way i see it, there will not be a single shop that will have what you desire. For now, i highly recommend go window shopping alot and note down what
you like (without bursting budget of course) :D

And your carpentery sketches.. soo cheem.. hahaha.. this part, i really will have to take my ID's word for it.
Carpentry sketches was really interesting, really educational, i'm really glad I had the privilege to be involved in it. :)

i sux at art & drawing. really cannot visual anything about all these until Yvonne vomit blood. i just ask her show me 3D to prevent her early demise. :P
Hahaha poor thing Yvonne :D

*No worries abt the DB box. i offered to get 2nd quote as i find $750 is like daylight robbery. I am happy you manage to get it $350. Yvonne will be cool about it. Of course have to pick the best price, plus he is your carpenter, if can squeeze him to do up as a free gift.. even better.. hahaha.
OMG thanks. I really feel guilty for putting Yvonne aeroplane :( She's a nice person, i'll still be giving a special thanks to her when my reno is done in the end.
I hope my pole wardrobe can still let her do, although she say her version don't have drawers. :(

Edited by ryanyth

yes, thats the good thing about buying lightings in sg. i m lazy, i bought all my lights ceiling fan heater bidet spray toilet paper holder hob kitchen sink n tap all from 1 shop... :D 

the switches workmanship really cmi. 

hope your misadventure ends there. 

1 hour ago, mmoh said:

yes, thats the good thing about buying lightings in sg. i m lazy, i bought all my lights ceiling fan heater bidet spray toilet paper holder hob kitchen sink n tap all from 1 shop... :D 

the switches workmanship really cmi. 

hope your misadventure ends there. 

I'm really happy with my lighting shop's service. They really brought down the stress level alot :D

And I agree, buying things in SG definitely has its advantages. I can't imagine if all were bought in Malaysia and if spoil, have to go all the way back and sekali the shop chut pattern say goods sold not refundable. How stressful that would be.

I always believe in 一分钱, 一分货 "Good things don't come cheap, Cheap things seldom are good."

Oh well hopefully by end of this week can get my lightings resolved.

Edited by ryanyth

Blog Entry Date: 25th October 2017 Wednesday

A little Curtain Experiment - Part 1 / 3

So, while my lighting situation is underway, lets talk about another topic: Curtains
Love em or hate em, every home just seems to need em. :huh:

Below photo are my windows that I intend to do curtains for.
Left window is my Bedroom, Right Window is for my Living Room.
IMG_20171025_195044.jpg.c9f401bb7bdb4d990c78e39e6dd42de2.jpg

Nothing special right? Just 2 pairs of cloth to cover it up nicely.
Now the problem is price. Almost all curtain vendors i've spoken to are quoting
curtains for 2 room starting from $500, with some even asking as high as $780!! *faints* :wacko:
And the price goes up even higher for Specialized Curtains like (Night Curtains, Blackout Curtains etc etc) :wacko:

I don't know about how ya'll feel, but personally for me, I really feel paying
over $500 upwards for mere pieces of cloth isn't really worth it.

What to do? What to do? :blink:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It so happens that there's this lady in my Estate's Facebook Group (Ms Eka), who's also a 2 roomer.
Her renovation is about to end, and she was nice enough to share her living room picture below:
eka-kesha.jpg.3f67f840b9c78e5d7a1173abd03544d2.jpg

Looks not bad right?
Imagine my surprise, when she revealed that her curtains were from IKEA. :blink:
She even shared what she bought and how it drastically reduced her curtain bills to an unbelievably low price of just $73.90!! :o That said, she had someone help her install the curtains, which was a contributing factor, but still, its a good deal!!!

To achieve the look of her curtains, she posted these below items she bought:

ikea1.jpg.8d5a64f77b994effc6bd4dff303bcc81.jpgikea2.jpg.b7f405f80ff25f45978bdacd995fb291.jpgikea3.jpg.7e6cf41cac4e42994ddba89a49832fb2.jpg

With that said, I'm sure ya'll know the word on the street is that IKEA items aren't very durable.
Sure, they're cheap, but they're usually made of very cheap materials that'll either break or give way in a few months time.

As i mentioned in a previous forum comment, i believe in "一分钱, 一分货" that is:
"Good things don't come cheap, Cheap things are seldom good."

So i was really hesitating whether if I should spend over $500 on curtains, or go for IKEA curtains.
And hence we arrive at this Blog Entry.

I am going to do an experiment.
With the guides kindly provided by Ms Eka, I think i'll go to IKEA for a shopping trip and see
if I can get a good deal on this. I really really don't feel like spending over $500 for curtains.

If the experiment succeeds, hey i've got a good deal. If it fails, well i'll just treat it as a learning experience I guess. :D So, if you're interested in how to get curtains installed cheaper, this guide is for you :)

Pre-planning Stage:
As with any undertaking, I've thought thru about a few things I want for my curtains.

1) While Ms Eka's curtains are nice, they are more for a Woody Scandinavian feel, and don't fit into my Modern Black and White theme.

2) I like my living room to be a home theatre, and as such would prefer ZERO light to seep in when i'm enjoying a movie night, so i'm going for a BLACKOUT curtain for the Living Room.

3) Since my Living Room is already using BLACKOUT curtain, it would look wierd if my Bedroom doesn't use it, so it will ALSO use BLACKOUT curtain.

4) While my curtains are BLACKOUT type, i'd still like to have a 2nd layer translucent mesh curtain to allow some light to filter thru when I do open my curtains. (Also i think having a 2nd layer mesh curtain looks Classy) :P

And so i begin my Curtain Hunt at IKEA. IKEA Alexandria to be specific. WHAT A HAUL!!
IMG_20171025_172248.jpg.226ca7c4ab3c505ba686b9e2d03e518b.jpg

Here's where i realized about the mistakes I made:

Mistake 1:
Take this picture for instance of the Rod Assembly Ms Eka posted earlier.
IKEA doesn't sell them prepackaged nicely like this. You have to buy each and every individual components. While each component aren't expensive, I feel this is something you should be aware of.

I will list out the individual components later.

ikea1.jpg.8d5a64f77b994effc6bd4dff303bcc81.jpg

Mistake 2:
There are 4 poles to buy, and each of them are at least 2 metres long. This is when I found out, that Taxis won't be able to help haul these long poles. (They don't want your poles scratching or breaking anything) I looked for Maxi Cab (A longer type of Cab) and they quoted me $55 just to deliver everything back to my place!! Crazy. This experiment is to save money, not spend more money lol. :D

End up what happened? I lugged EVERYTHING back home via Public Transport. :blink:
Dear Readers, don't be stupid like me. If you are going to do this,
MAKE SURE you have someone who can help carry or a vehicle ready to carry the items back.

On the plus side, I probably burnt a few hundred calories at least,
although everyone was probably looking at me like I was crazy. :D
I was lucky I wasn't stopped by the MRT staff at the gantry tho. :D

What a fantastic workout! :D .....Yea right....Abit tired now. :P
(I'm already starting to regret this experiment already) :D

To be continued....in Part 2..:yeah:

A little Curtain Experiment - Part 2 / 3

Edited by ryanyth

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mmoh said:

i got my blackout curtain for both living and bed rooms at $500 nett. just 1 layer though.

After lugging all those things back and enjoying a super workout,
i'm beginning to think $500 is a good idea after all :D

Edited by ryanyth

Nice posting on the ongoing progress!

I hope i can pull through when mine comes :D

Please share what the components are required. 

Btw the curtains are ready made or you have to customise them as I believe there is someone (in IKEA) there to do the measurements?

59 minutes ago, MiniBean said:

Nice posting on the ongoing progress!

I hope i can pull through when mine comes :D

Please share what the components are required. 

Btw the curtains are ready made or you have to customise them as I believe there is someone (in IKEA) there to do the measurements?

Oh yes, i'll share em when i get back home tonight.
Actually gonna go buy my ceiling fan so maybe i'll add that too lol.

As for curtains, they are supposed to be already the correct length (at least for living room)
but i may need to get a seamstress to help shorten the curtains for my bedroom window because i got a platform bed.
Or i can just lazy let them drape down lol :D See how lah.

53 minutes ago, jothm said:

Hi ryanyth, have you tried Spotlight, they got lots of tracks and fabrics for curtains there,

https://www.spotlightstores.com/sg/curtains-blinds

Looks like the renovation is progressing nicely :)

Actually i've not heard of this before, thanks for the heads up!
But since i've already bought from IKEA, i'll see how IKEA curtains hold up first lor.
Thanks again  :)

Edited by ryanyth

Blog Entry Date: 26th October 2017 Thursday

A little Curtain Experiment - Part 2 / 3

Alrighty, lets continue with Part 2! :)

In this section, I'm gonna list down a complete list of components I've bought and describe each function.

Items are labelled Alphabetically, and I will list each one down with another close up image of the component. (Please don't mind my messy cardboard covered floor. Paiseh lah, renovation still in progress. :P)
59f1a7b5942d0_ListofIKEAItems.jpg.d9bcc0b56415e4add5b4696eb6098230.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now some close up shots:

A is showing 2 x HUGAD rods
B
is showing 2 x RACKA rods

59f1a9e56e09d_HugadandRacka.jpg.fca097e6fd57cd7cdafd51d93755d71f.jpg

Needless to say these are the long poles by which the cloth curtains would be mounted on.
Please ensure that the length of poles you buy is 210-385cm. Other lengths are apparently not suitable.

Both types of poles are extendable, so you can extend and adjust accordingly to how long you want, but MAKE SURE THEY MUST BE 210-385cm.

HUGAD rods are thicker and are meant to hang the BLACKOUT Curtain.
RACKA rods are thinner are are meant to hang the Inner Lighter Mesh Curtain.
For each of the Window, you will need (1 x HUGAD + 1 x RACKA)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C is showing 6 x BETYDLIG Boxes
59f1aeb64154c_BETYDLIG(Box).jpg.e31897cfa81643bf4cd1e6644bfd8d62.jpg
This BETYDLIG BOX will be abit confusing, because there's another version of BETYDLIG that is NON-Box version.

These are the L-Brackets you will need to mount on the wall, and they will have a holder to hold the poles. Each BETYDLIG BOX contains 1 hook which is used to hook the earlier THICK HUGAD pole.

According to the IKEA sales person i encountered, while 2 BETYDLIG L-Brackets will be enough to hold up the poles, It is better to use 3 BETYDLIG L-Brackets (1 at extreme left, 1 at centre, 1 at the extreme right) so its more stable.
For each Window, you will need (3 x BETYDLIG BOXES)

D is showing 6 x BETYDLIG Non-Box Packets
59f1aeb6efbb3_BETYDLIG(Packet).jpg.c2cd0c18d552d74295adc97c47ff3d7d.jpg

Please don't confuse these BETYDLIG Non-Box Packets with the earlier BETYDLIG Boxes.
These BETYDLIG Non-Box Packets only contains 1 hook which is used to hook the Thinner RACKA Pole. For each Window, you will need (3 x BETYDLIG Non-BOX Packets)

E is showing 4 x RAFFIG Packets
RAFFIG.jpg.b0abba5d4337afa0e8872650010443cc.jpg
Nothing special about this RAFFIG. Each packet contains a pair of Plastic Caps. This is used to cover the tip of either the HUGAD or RACKA poles so they won't slip out and fall out the BETYDLIG L-Brackets when mounted.

There are however different types of such Plastic Caps, with some having elaborate designs.
They were unavailable when I was there however, but it doesn't matter because this one works well enough for me.

For each Window, you will need (2 x RAFFIG Packets)

F is showing 2 x MAJGULL Packets
MAJGULL.jpg.e6dc4059f53b0ab1c3206b522f72a3b9.jpg
MAJGULL is the BLACKOUT Curtain that I'll be using.
By default, it will come with little cloth loops for you to be able to poke your THICK HUGAD pole to hang it. There is an alternative RING like accessory for sale in IKEA but I didn't buy it because I felt the default Cloth loops will be sufficient.

Each packet contains 1 pair of such curtains. Standard Size 140cm x 250cm

This length is suitable for hanging for my Living Room Window, but I may need to get a Seamstress to trim it shorter for my Bedroom Window because I have a Platform Bed there. IKEA has this Seamstress service available, but as my Renovation is still going on, i didn't need to engage them. I can alternatively just let it drape down see how it goes, it may even look nice lol.
For each Window, you will need (1 x MAJGULL Packet)

G is showing 2 x TERESIA Packets
TERESIA.jpg.92089565b6f2b4a8fce2cbfb3e3d9df9.jpg

TERESIA is the translucent thin mesh Inner Curtain that I'll be using.
By default, it will come with little cloth loops for you to be able to poke your THIN RACKA pole to hang it. There is an alternative RING like accessory for sale in IKEA but I didn't buy it because I felt the default Cloth loops will be sufficient.

Each packet contains 1 pair of such curtains. Standard Size same as MAJGUL 140cm x 250cm

This length is suitable for hanging for my Living Room Window, but I may need to get a Seamstress to trim it shorter for my Bedroom Window because I have a Platform Bed there. IKEA has this Seamstress service available, but as my Renovation is still going on, i didn't need to engage them. I can alternatively just let it drape down see how it goes, it may even look nice lol.
For each Window, you will need (1 x TERESIA Packet)

Abit of Deja Vu right? LOL!! :D
But thats because TERESIA is basically also a curtain same as MAJGULL except its a different type thats all. :D

And thats all for the individual Components.

To further understand how the Rod Extension function, please refer to the below picture.
I hope it is abit more clear when showing which component will go where. (TERESIA and MAJGULL are not pictured of course)
59f1daaee5526_ComponentsCombi.jpg.a1515dda63999fdeb84ee373f09f4fcc.jpg

Component Pricing and Grand Total Calculation:
So in summary, for 1 Window, the components and prices will be:

1 x HUGAD (210-385cm)
Price: 1 Rod is $9.90

1 x RACKA (210-385cm)
Price: 1 Rod is $9.90

3 x BETYDLIG Boxes (L-Brackets)
Price - 1 Box is $2.90
(Therefore 3 of them is $2.90 x 3 = $8.70 total)

3 x BETYDLIG Non-Box Packets (Hook Only)
Price - 1 Packet is $1.90
(Therefore 3 of them is $1.90 x 3 = $5.70 total)

2 x RAFFIG Packets
Price - 1 Packet is $3.90
(Therefore 2 of them is $3.90 x 2 = $7.80 total)

1 x MAJGULL Packet (140cm x 250cm)
Price: 1 Packet is $49.90

1 x TERESIA Packet (140cm x 250cm)
Price: 1 Packet is $15.90

In total, for 1 Window, the Curtain Cost works out to be:
$9.90 + $9.90 + $8.70 + $5.70 + $7.80 + $49.90 + $15.90 = $107.80

Therefore, 2 Windows (Both Living Room and Bedroom Windows)
for me works out to be $107.80 x 2 = $215.60 (not including GST)

And so with that Price Calculation done, we come to the end of Part 2 of this Curtain Experiment.
Instead of paying $500+ for a pair of curtains, I pay $215.60 which is more than 50% savings.
Of course, if you use a different curtain, the price might go higher or lower. But yea there we go.

But do stay tuned, because this Experiment is still not over.
There will be a Part 3 of this Experiment where I install everything. (Of course i'm gonna get Jason's contractors to install it. :D ) But that will be much later at the end of the Renovation, so do stay tuned if you're still interested in how it all turned out.

And so thats it. For now.
I'll see you in the next Blog Entry!! :yeah:

End of 6th week after Key Collection. Lightings still being worked on, Bathroom Door is Replaced.

If you are only interested in accessing the conclusion of this Curtain Guide,
Click here to directly jump to the Final Part of this Guide:  
A Little Curtain Experiment Part 3/3

Click Here to go back to Page 1 - Table of Content

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mmoh said:

:good: u r so detail!

Thanks.

Actually I'm also not sure if I made any mistakes since its all not installed yet. I may have missed out something. :P

Nevertheless I hope this ikea curtain guide can help someone lor. :D