Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanYTH

My Modern Zen 2-Room 35sqm (Type 1) HDB BTO Apartment Renovation Journey

Just got my key and very grateful for your super detailed reno stories! Very helpful for noobs like me. 

I'm also planning to remove the ugly sliding bedroom partition. May I know why you decided on system 2 aircon? I was thinking of installing just 1 in the bedroom will do.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 4/15/2018 at 1:47 PM, xelle22 said:

@ryanyth i chanced upon your reno blog and it was very candid and informative! thanks for sharing. i just gotten the ballot for mine and it will be ready in 2023! hahah, long way to go but will try rem the info you shared. 

Thank you very much for your support! :D
Feeling is very nice right when you successfully got the ballot? Feels like win 4D like that :D
Wow...5 years is quite a ways to go, must be a very big project.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:00 PM, Myojojo said:

Just got my key and very grateful for your super detailed reno stories! Very helpful for noobs like me. 

I'm also planning to remove the ugly sliding bedroom partition. May I know why you decided on system 2 aircon?
I was thinking of installing just 1 in the bedroom will do.

Hihi, thanks also for your support! :D
For the sliding bedroom partition, i understand HDB has since changed to a better looking type,
so you may want to keep it. Mine was older model.

As for the Aircon, actually initially I also thought of just installing 1 in the bedroom, but I figured why not also
add 1 more in the Living Room so I can turn it on when I entertain guests or enjoy a nice weekend movie night.

Thanks for replying on the cost of 3D drawing, need an estimate cos looking for an ID to draw 3D drawings only. Already got my contractor but he need some drawings.

Wah randomly reading your convos and saw you talking about grant... guess not all are eligible ... i only got a $2.5k grant, haha just be grateful lah. 

I realised cos you already have an idea of what you want so it becomes easier to accustom if there are difficulties. I got my keys but not started any renov cos been busy with other things. Anyway there are still defects to be rectified and after that i have to do cement smoothing as ididnt opt for tiles. Plus i think there will be some delay with hdb assigning a contractor to me. Anyway,  my headache is the toilet with 2 doors and shower area right in the middle... in front of the wc... sigh  don't know how so only can think of shower curtain.

on a happy side, i already thinking of  what to (learn to) cook once i have ny own kitchen and also interested in knowing more of how u prepare for your lunch on sunday to bring to office during weekday? Maybe the food blog can continue at your wordpress page? Haha let us know if you do.

i will need to re read your whole blog as well as adatang and mmoh (?) ones ... steal ideas haha ... so thankful... 

Edited by CaseBlue

8 hours ago, CaseBlue said:

Thanks for replying on the cost of 3D drawing, need an estimate cos looking for an ID to draw 3D drawings only. Already got my contractor but he need some drawings.

Wah randomly reading your convos and saw you talking about grant... guess not all are eligible ... i only got a $2.5k grant, haha just be grateful lah. 

I realised cos you already have an idea of what you want so it becomes easier to accustom if there are difficulties. I got my keys but not started any renov cos been busy with other things. Anyway there are still defects to be rectified and after that i have to do cement smoothing as ididnt opt for tiles. Plus i think there will be some delay with hdb assigning a contractor to me. Anyway,  my headache is the toilet with 2 doors and shower area right in the middle... in front of the wc... sigh  don't know how so only can think of shower curtain.

on a happy side, i already thinking of  what to (learn to) cook once i have ny own kitchen and also interested in knowing more of how u prepare for your lunch on sunday to bring to office during weekday? Maybe the food blog can continue at your wordpress page? Haha let us know if you do.

i will need to re read your whole blog as well as adatang and mmoh (?) ones ... steal ideas haha ... so thankful... 

Your contractor need some drawings? Isn't the contractor supposed to be the one producing drawings? :huh:
Actually the grant is also not really grant lah, just to offset the extra amount that singles need to pay.

I must thank the 3D drawing program I used for the ideas. Initially I also had no idea especially the bedroom. The more i fiddled with it,
the more ideas it came to me. It definitely helps to browse thru Renotalk and other renovation forums to get more ideas. :D

Oh for my weekday lunch preps, I tend to try to eat healthier.
I don't use any sugar or salt. The only oil i use is Olive Oil and even that i use it quite sparingly.
Here's my daily meal prep recipe. Feel free to copy lol. :D

1) Cook enough brown rice / red rice for 5 days.
2) Boil Veggies in plain water (mostly use broccoli / cauliflower)
3) Marinate chicken using Lemon Juice and Black Pepper and than pan fry them in olive oil.
4) Sometimes if supermarket got a good deal, or if price is cheap enough, i'll add salmon / fish.
5) Once everything is done, i'll portion and pack them in microwavable containers and freeze them. One day before I eat them,
i'll transfer the container from freezer to refridgerator and when I'm in the office, its just a matter of microwaving them.

This brings each meal to about $2.50+ which is definitely alot cheaper (and healthier) than buying from outside.
I never used to do this in my old place, but somehow having my own home makes me want to cook more lol :D
DSC_0033.JPG.1d4df783ca5d1147f98433dfeaec2902.JPG

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1

i have to agree having your own haven makes u wanna cook more... cos dun feel like going out liao so gotta ownself settle and after awhile, instant noodle lost its appeal... lol! 

btw, i used to boiled broccoli too but read somewhere that the mineral are all lost in the water. steam is actually a better way to cook broccoli so now I use steamer instead. just sharing.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 12:25 PM, ryanyth said:

image.png.8942782f8ca8c81996712b8296c363d1.png
image.png.7a6175d23c2bf457dfeee257f3e2807d.png

image.png.7d0cd9976160980b519fe0d19604a574.png
image.png.4a9a397f70a8189ec25f61c5f65446d0.png

Hi @ryanyth, just to check with you, must we remove City Gas Piping from Kitchen if we do not intend to use gas, just use induction hob and electric instant water heater? 

:wub: your nice, informative and delicious looking T-Blog. :P

:) Thanks. 

44 minutes ago, mmoh said:

i have to agree having your own haven makes u wanna cook more... cos dun feel like going out liao so gotta ownself settle and after awhile, instant noodle lost its appeal... lol! 

btw, i used to boiled broccoli too but read somewhere that the mineral are all lost in the water. steam is actually a better way to cook broccoli so now I use steamer instead. just sharing.

Hanor hanor, me also used to eat so much instant noodles.
Now that i'm older its very unhealthy lol. Interesting point on using steamer for veggies. Noted. 

34 minutes ago, Studio45 said:

Hi @ryanyth, just to check with you, must we remove City Gas Piping from Kitchen if we do not intend to use gas, just use induction hob and electric instant water heater? 

:wub: your nice, informative and delicious looking T-Blog. :P

:) Thanks. 

Hihi. If you don't intend to use City Gas, it is not compulsory to remove that gas piping,
you can just leave it as it is. I removed it because it looked ugly to see a gas pipe popping out of nowhere.
(Very expensive though, cost $70 just to remove that stupid pipe *faints*)

Edited by ryanyth

Oh, City Gas piping are already laid in kitchen?  I am a bit confused as i thought we have to get them to install the piping if you wanna use gas. 

5 hours ago, MiniBean said:

Oh, City Gas piping are already laid in kitchen?  I am a bit confused as i thought we have to get them to install the piping if you wanna use gas. 

Ya. For my case, there was already a copper piping already. If you want to use gas, I guess they will add more things to that pipe.
If you dun use gas, you can just ignore it lor. Same as that "U-Shaped" Storage Heater pipe in the bathroom. If you dun use storage heater, 
the pipe will also just stick there.

Ah noted on the great tips for healthy eating!! Thanks so much!! :D

BTW i realised from the few blogs i can see the real ceiling of the toilets ... mine has a false ceiling ... the height is so intimidating! Dun understand why a false ceiling made of wood in the toilet. I wonder if i can remove those false ceilings?  The 5-year warranty against leaking, should be for the real ceiling?

Edited by CaseBlue

On 5/20/2018 at 1:47 AM, CaseBlue said:

BTW i realised from the few blogs i can see the real ceiling of the toilets ... mine has a false ceiling ... the height is so intimidating! Dun understand why a false ceiling made of wood in the toilet. I wonder if i can remove those false ceilings?  The 5-year warranty against leaking, should be for the real ceiling?

Hahahah no worries, just sharing what I eat only. Old already, cannot yolo and anyhow eat liao. :lol:

Mmmm...false ceiling in toilet. I'm guessing this is used to conceal the sanitary pipes that usually run in the toilet.
If i'm not wrong, you should also be seeing a plastic mesh sort of thing so you can sorta see the pipes right?

My friend's newer styled 2-room flat has this too. I suppose you can remove them, but the tradeoff is that
those sanitary pipes would be exposed like how 80s styled hdb toilet is. Please do correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by ryanyth

On 5/20/2018 at 1:47 AM, CaseBlue said:

wood? can show pic?

yes, real ceiling.

3 hours ago, mmoh said:

wood? can show pic?

yes, real ceiling.

yeah ... currently no have picture of ceiling will take some this weekend...