Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanYTH

My Modern Zen 2-Room 35sqm (Type 1) HDB BTO Apartment Renovation Journey

9 hours ago, Kelvin Cheng said:

Hi,

been quietly following ur blog for a while now and will be gettin my keys soon.

May I know does hacking away the living room wall impact ur aircon coldness? Meaning do u have to turn on both aircon just to cool a single room as the air can now escape to kitchen side?

Thank you for your support :)
Hacking away that living room wall didn't seem to have any impact so far.
If i need aircon in bedroom, i just turn on the bedroom aircon.
If i need Living Room or whole house coolness, I just need to turn on my Living Room Aircon.

Edited by ryanyth

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
2 hours ago, ryanyth said:

Thank you for your support :)
Hacking away that living room wall didn't seem to have any impact so far.
If i need aircon in bedroom, i just turn on the bedroom aircon.
If i need Living Room or whole house coolness, I just need to turn on my Living Room Aircon.

Tks for the info. May I know the position of ur aircon and the btu of each unit? 

11 hours ago, Kelvin Cheng said:

Tks for the info. May I know the position of ur aircon and the btu of each unit? 

My Air-Con is Daikin 5 Ticks Smile Series System 2
The one in the Bedroom is 9000BTU,
The one in the Living Room is 18000BTU.

This link should show you where I positioned the aircons
https://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/78056-my-modern-zen-2-room-35sqm-type-1-hdb-bto-apartment-renovation-journey/?page=17&tab=comments#comment-964617

Hi @ryanyth

Did the installer for the side arm say anything about having enough GAP to install the side arm? Another blogger, with the same colour door as mine, had to hack a bit of the GAP to install the side arm (uniarm) ...

Will there be "A little curtain experiment" part 3/3?

5 minutes ago, CaseBlue said:

Hi @ryanyth

Did the installer for the side arm say anything about having enough GAP to install the side arm? Another blogger, with the same colour door as mine, had to hack a bit of the GAP to install the side arm (uniarm) ...

Will there be "A little curtain experiment" part 3/3?

Mmmm now that you mentioned about it, i vaguely remembered him saying "Lucky my door was just nice can install slidearm."
As for curtain experiment part 3, i'm not sure if i'll be able to finish it as i lost a couple of photos already.
I'll try my best to see if i can still do the post tho.

2 minutes ago, ryanyth said:

Mmmm now that you mentioned about it, i vaguely remembered him saying "Lucky my door was just nice can install slidearm."
As for curtain experiment part 3, i'm not sure if i'll be able to finish it as i lost a couple of photos already.
I'll try my best to see if i can still do the post tho.

Haha , now I am worried... ok I shall ask the side-arm supplier ... thx

Ah i see ... i thought you forgotten.. it's ok lah ... I was just curious about it ... 

2 minutes ago, MiniBean said:

Hello,  I will like to know is there any holes drilling in the bomb shelter which you installed WIW? 

thanks

Nope, no holes drilled. Cannot drill also.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:49 PM, daztan89 said:

Hi TS,

Can I ask how's the wardrobe now? I'm interested in asking them to build me a similar one, but want to ask your experience with the wardrobe first.

Oh hey, yea its still holding up fine. tbh I'm proud of my bomb shelter having such a unique feature. :D

As i mentioned previously, if you are open minded and don't mind just a little bit of stuffiness, 
a walk-in wardrobe in the bomb shelter can really free up alot of space for you.

Your bomb shelter will than become a well utilized part of your home instead of just being another typical storeroom to gather junk.
However, If you are the type that die die need a traditional wardrobe to keep your clothes than it will not be suitable for you.

Honestly I feel a bomb shelter wardrobe is a very good idea for folks who got a 37sqm unit.
Hope this helps! :)

24pxhs9.jpg

Edited by ryanyth

On 10/8/2018 at 8:55 PM, hdb4ever said:

Your walk-in-wardrobe looks very tidy!! :dribble:

But how do you cope with being unable to use the store room for storage?

Thank you :) Actually I do still use the bomb shelter partly as storage for some non clothing stuffs. If i need more storage, I put some stuffs at the topmost cabinets in my kitchen cabinets.
My platform bed itself has a couple of deep drawers too to keep stuffs

Most importantly, i try to develop a minimalist mindset, not to buy too much unnecessary stuffs so as not to create clutter. From time to time, I actually go thru the list of stuffs that I have, and see if I can donate, give them away, or throw away. I enjoy coming home to a very de-cluttered home, feeling is like very relaxed lol. :D 

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1

Blog Entry Date: 20th November 2018 Tuesday
Click Here to go back to Page 1 - Table of Contents

A little Curtain Experiment - Part 3 / 3

Hahahaha SURPRISE!!!
Guess what everyone, I finally located the lost photos I took for Part 3 of the Ikea Curtain guide!
Fancy finally located them on exactly the day I first moved in 1 year ago!! Talk about coincidence huh?

I really don't know what to say....but hey at least its better to be late than never right? LOL!! :D

So without further delay, I present to you the final part of the IKEA Curtain Experiment!
Please forgive me if I missed out some details. :P

Before even measuring the Curtain Rods, you will need to set up this L-Bracket
which consists of 1 x BETYDLIG Box and 1 x BETYDLIG Non-Box Packet
part-1.jpg?w=450

Here is how they look like when removed from their package.
Left are the contents of the BETYDLIG BOX
Right side are the contents of the BETYDLIG NON-BOX Packet
part-2.jpg?w=450

Here is how 1 L-Bracket will look like when assembled.
part-3.jpg?w=450

I used 4 assembled L-Brackets per Window, and because I have 2 windows,
one in the Living Room and one in the Bedroom, a total of 8 Brackets were assembled:
part-4.jpg?w=450

Below pictures were taken when the plumbers helped installed my Curtain Rods.
They were especially careful when doing the measurements to ensure it was aligned nicely.

1.jpg?w=4502.jpg?w=450
3.jpg?w=4504.jpg?w=450

Curtain Rod Assembly installed and aligned nicely at the Living Room Area:
6.jpg?w=450

Curtain Rod Assembly installed and aligned nicely at the Bedroom Area:
5.jpg?w=450

So now that the curtain rods are installed, the next part is easy because we only need to
install both the MAJGULL Blackout Curtain and the TERESIA thin mesh curtain.

Step 1:
Loop the TERESIA Light Mesh curtain thru the Thin RACKA Rod
teresia1.jpg?w=450

Step 2:
Hang the Thin RACKA Rod in the Inner Loop of the L-Bracket as shown:
teresia2.jpg?w=450

Step 3:
This is what it should look like when the TERESIA Mesh Curtain is completed.
teresia3.jpg?w=450

And now that the TERESIA mesh curtain is completed, we will continue with the MAJGULL Blackout Curtain.

Loop the MAJGULL Curtain through the Thick HUGAD Rod as Shown.
Once done, hang the HUGAD Rod on the Outer Loop of the L-Bracket.
majgul1.jpg?w=450

Once completed, this was how they looked like:

Curtains Completed at the Living Room:
curtainlivingroom.jpg?w=450

Curtains Completed at Bedroom:
curtainbedroom.jpg?w=450

And so we have finally come to the conclusion of the IKEA Curtain Guide.
I'm so sorry this took so long!! :(

I would like to provide my observations and comments for the IKEA Curtains now that I've used them for 1 year:

- The IKEA Curtains still hold up pretty well after 1 year. Hanging them up by myself wasn't very difficult at all.

- Due to how I installed the curtain poles, and how heavy the MAJGULL Blackout curtains are, it would not be easy to draw them open.
If you are the sort that like to draw curtains frequently, I would recommend installing Curtain Tracks instead of Curtain Poles like me. 
That said, if you were to choose a lightweight curtain instead of MAJGULL, you may still be able to draw curtains easily even if you used Curtain Poles.

The disadvantage of Curtain Tracks however is that they would be more prone to trapping dust and not as easy to clean as a Curtain Pole.
And because they are movable, I suspect they might not be as durable as hanging on a static Curtain Pole.

If you are interested in Curtain Tracks, IKEA sells them under the name VIDGA and it looks something like the below image.
So you will need to decide whether which one you would prefer.
vidga-ceiling-fitting-white__0603500_pe6

In conclusion, having IKEA Curtains installed were a BIG SAVINGS on my renovation budget and they proved durable.
The blackout curtains were also very good and worked well in blocking out light.

However, there were factors I faced originally such as difficulty in transporting the long poles,  and needing to know what parts to buy.
Not only that, you will also need to engage someone to help you install the poles. If you prefer a hassle free experience,
I would recommend to spend the extra money to get an external vendor do it for you.  Again, this would be up to your preference. 

And with that, the IKEA Curtain Guide is finally concluded! Yay!!

——————————————————————————————

Time really flies huh? :lol:

It has already been 1 year since I moved in to my new home.
I believe by this time most of you would have gotten your keys and some may even have
already completed your renovation. I hope everything goes well for you. :)

I thought I'd make an updated post to discuss on my reflected thoughts, comments and experiences for this 1 year. 
Starting from the next Blog Entry, there will be a 5 Part Series and each series will be dedicated to a specific section
of my apartment where I will also provide my updated pictures for them.  

The Sections I will cover are:
- Walk-In Wardrobe
- Kitchen
- Bathroom
- Living Room
- Bedroom

Each week, I will post 1 New Blog Entry for each of the section.
Don't worry, I will not take too long to post them this time. (I Hope!) :P

These will probably be the Final Blog Entries as I finally draw a close for this Blog.
Do keep a lookout for them coming soon!:yeah:

Click Here for the Next Blog Entry: 
One Year Retrospective 1/5 - Walk-In Wardrobe

Click Here to go back to Page 1 - Table of Contents

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1
  • Haha 1