Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hoppinghippos

Qn to audiophiles

an optical switch lor. got cheap cheap one also got ex ex one....

try this forum http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php

this renotalk can't get much hardcore people in audio/video one lah.

Optical Switch? Great! Sorry but I am not verse with audio equipment. Can I ask where can I get it from? Simlim Tower? What kind of damage am I looking at here?

Thanks alot Tingshen!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I am currently planning to upgrade my audio system along with renovated flat.

Speakers: Sonus Faber Domus series, except sub as I have one quite ok one already. So it will be Grand piano as front, center and wall domus.

AV AMP: Onkyo TX-NR905

DVD, use exsiting Sony DVPNS9100ES

Sterao Amp: Musical Fidelity A5

Speaker cable, surround is Monster, can;t remember model, Front will be Nordost Flatline, center Monster THX, something, (existing)

Interconnect, Van Dul Hul D102III hybrid (existing)

Espon EMP-TW1000 HD projector

and yes Bose is just a preamp not a full amp and look at the cable they provide, ten cent per meter black red type and without subwoofer really cannot make it

Play ipod with ipod dock more worth it

Cheers

actually wanna ask you guys a few practical questions:

1.How often do you use your HT? watching movie? concert ? gaming ? Karaoke or other entertainments?

2.Do you really use the rear speakers often?

3.Do you find your rear speakers useful?

4.How do you connect your rear speakers to the receiver?

I noticed a lot of people simply put their rear speakers at the front, as a results, they become redundant....that makes me think again, shall I just go for a stereo set up? or at most, a cool 2.1 set up?

actually wanna ask you guys a few practical questions:

1.How often do you use your HT? watching movie? concert ? gaming ? Karaoke or other entertainments?

2.Do you really use the rear speakers often?

3.Do you find your rear speakers useful?

4.How do you connect your rear speakers to the receiver?

I noticed a lot of people simply put their rear speakers at the front, as a results, they become redundant....that makes me think again, shall I just go for a stereo set up? or at most, a cool 2.1 set up?

Hi I am not a pro here but jus share my point of view.

1) U can turn on ur HT whenever u watch ur moive, concert & gaming provided u dont blast ur neighbour's hse. :) But karaoke I am nt veri sure cos that belong to BMB. (I cant sing) :~

2) Rear spks sound only when u watch moive or any 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channel music but still depend on ur source.

For me I advise when listerning to music use only ur front spk, turn off the sub, rear and centre spk unless u are playing 5.1 channel music. :)

3) Yes rear spk is veri useful when u are playing action moive, try "Saving Private Ryan" or "Pearl Harbour" in DTS format u can hear the bullet shoot pass u. :dunno:

4) ???? Same as the front and centre spk lor. :)

I think those who put their rear infont is mainly due to they didnt plan their cables layout intial and they don wan to fork out extra cash to relay again.

It really depend on u whether u are more in moive or music but majority play safe they invest in moive (5.1) cos they also can listern to music if they want. :dancingqueen:

nv read this thread and i started a new thread... sry!:( mayb u guys can help me to have some ideas to set up my HTS...

i really need 5.1 system set up with satellite speakers, amp and a player all within 2k... and i need the recomendation fast cuz is for my new home. my ID very soon is going to set up my false ceiling soon...

:~:~:~

Do you require component of HDMI switching? I have a Onkyo system which was below 1K for the entry level. It was surprising good to my ears at least. :curse:

Do you require component of HDMI switching? I have a Onkyo system which was below 1K for the entry level. It was surprising good to my ears at least. :curse:

ya i do need a HDMI thingy... cuz my tv got this function... u are selling urs? below 1k is with amp and speakers?

i am asking my electrician to setup cable soon.

but i know i got too lay the sound cable together as well.

QN:

1) What cable to use for front 3 speaker? and typically how long to each cable? wher to buy from? how much?

2) What cable for the rear 2 speakers?

3) what cable for the subwoofer? and how long.

pls advise

Most impt is the main left and right speakers, length most use 3m pair, meaning 3m each side, what and price really depends there are too many to choose from depends on liking, system setup and budget of course.

Center if possible use the same surround depends on surround location, get maybe 3 to 4 dollars per meter is sufficient.

Subwoofer uses analog interconnect not speaker cable unless your is a passive which i doubt so, if active, meaning the woofer has its own amplifier built in and need power supply, interconnect is needed and the length a gain depends on the location.

hope that helps

For me, I am using monster for surround, price range is 3 to 4 dollar per meter can;t remember the model for center I am using a old cable nodorst flatline and for front I am using a new pair of van der hul cable 3 m pair is $400. sub i am using audioquest sub cable i think about 3 to 4 m if i am not wrong

Cheers

Edited by fteocs

Its been a long time, and glad to know so many people appreciates sound be it AV or just music application.

The mentioned websites forum do have much information to gain from, try reading up some magazines like eg. sterophile and others.

Many people "hear" things differently and gets touched differently, so one set-up maybe one man's meat, but another's poison. So listen around until you find the one that suits you most.

Merry Christmas !

Hi Audiophiles in renotalk,

I am planning to arrange for electrician to lay dedicated power cable from main distribution box to hifi room.

Electrician is suggesting using Milpin power cable, a dedicated three core cable, which is around $7 per metre.

Any other suggestions on what power cable to use?

I don't mind buying it myself, but pls advise on price and where to buy....

Thanks in advance.

Its been a long time, and glad to know so many people appreciates sound be it AV or just music application.

The mentioned websites forum do have much information to gain from, try reading up some magazines like eg. sterophile and others.

Many people "hear" things differently and gets touched differently, so one set-up maybe one man's meat, but another's poison. So listen around until you find the one that suits you most.

Merry Christmas !

Hi Audiophiles in renotalk,

I am planning to arrange for electrician to lay dedicated power cable from main distribution box to hifi room.

Electrician is suggesting using Milpin power cable, a dedicated three core cable, which is around $7 per metre.

Any other suggestions on what power cable to use?

I don't mind buying it myself, but pls advise on price and where to buy....

Thanks in advance.

if you more into homethreatre...don waste money on such cables.

but if for serious hifi-ing, it's a good investment.

Thanks for reply. If you buy yourself, one can find in Jalan Besar road,

there will be Milpin 70, which will be slightly cheaper.

If wanna go further (for hifi guys), can check Belden 19264, get from LHS (Sim Lim Tower). ~$10 /m if longer (say more than 10m, can get discount).

I do agree with MaCe that home theatre, no need spend so much money, 2 channel audio, more worthy.

Some crazy guys may even use Oyaide Tunami to lay power cable to hifi power point.

Thanks for reply. If you buy yourself, one can find in Jalan Besar road,

there will be Milpin 70, which will be slightly cheaper.

If wanna go further (for hifi guys), can check Belden 19264, get from LHS (Sim Lim Tower). ~$10 /m if longer (say more than 10m, can get discount).

I do agree with MaCe that home theatre, no need spend so much money, 2 channel audio, more worthy.

Some crazy guys may even use Oyaide Tunami to lay power cable to hifi power point.

use cheapo wires for the rear - cos it's only for effects, got sound can liao.

throw your money into the front, some pple even willing to sell their backside for big big python snakes for their main front. :lol: