Dilemma in choosing between HDB licensed and non HDB licensed

Hi fellows,

I have met up with the following ID:

1) 9 Creation

2) Designer Guy Group

3) Livinz Synthesis

4) Envihut D8sign

5) Blackjack interior

They all feel very professional. However, some of them are HDB registered & some not. Can any experienced members here give some pointers on choosing between licensed & non licensed ID? My renovation do not require hacking of wall.

Thank you.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 06/08/2017 at 2:54 AM, superk888 said:

theres always reason why they are not awarded the licenses...

There are always other reasons y they have not gotten it.

On 10/07/2017 at 10:02 AM, mooseolly said:

Hi fellows,

1) 9 Creation

2) Designer Guy Group

3) Livinz Synthesis

4) Envihut D8sign

5) Blackjack interior

They all feel very professional. However, some of them are HDB registered & some not. Can any experienced members here give some pointers on choosing between licensed & non licensed ID? My renovation do not require hacking of wall.

Thank you.

Check their projects and see which designer or contractor understands your requirements well. The impt thing is to be able to move into "your ideal nest"....meaning something tats yours. Go with ur feeling!

If your new home is HDB, you will need HDB permit for wall hacking and tiling. If your renovation requires work like this, only HDB licensed contractor can apply the permit for it.

Although my contractor is HDB licensed, he is giving me a hard time right now and is dragging my project. From my personal painful experience, what I find most important is that the contractor you engage must have a detail itemized quotation, a proper contract to sign on which I found on CASE and here is the link: (https://www.case.org.sg/pdf/model_renovation.pdf), a black and white copy of the renovation work schedule and drawings if any.

Hope my info helps you.

Edited by FatRabbit

a contractor/ID firm does not need to be HDB licensed but if you're going to hack walls, then it will have to be done by a HDB licensed contractor and only they can apply for the permit. so your contractor/ID will borrow or buy another company's license, this is common practice. 

From newspaper reports, most, if not all of the runaway IDs and contractors cases are not HDB licensed.  Some are serial runaways... they set up new ID each time after they run away with clients' money.  It is just safer to appoint HDB licensed contractors when there is thousands of them.  If they are not, they just have to build up their private projects for a year before applying for the HDB license.

On 7/10/2017 at 10:02 AM, mooseolly said:

Hi fellows,

1) 9 Creation

2) Designer Guy Group

3) Livinz Synthesis

4) Envihut D8sign

5) Blackjack interior

Thank you.

Hi Mooseolly, 

Who did you ended up engaging with ? Any updated on your new renovated house? :paint:

I picked a HDB licensed ID. But the ID has many subsidiaries (strictly speaking not subsidiaries but for illustration purpose I will just leave it as that) of similar name. End up my project is taken up by the non-licensed related company which will use the parent license to do the work. So far the progress is gradual and systematic with a worked-out schedule to show what kind of job will start & complete.

Just to share my experience, if you are thinking of making a very nice house with all the cove light, overlay, etc. Your id quotation will come out high. This is not the final yet. You have to add on the electrical works plus purchasing other stuffs such as lighting, curtains, toilet fittings,  kitchen fittings, furniture & electrical appliances. Budget may overshot. Especially when you use the ID's associate, they will bring you to the designer shop which will cost anything from 100-200% more than the regular stuffs you can find. Quality of the designer stuffs & the ID's commission will factor into the addition cost. The premium you pay is for convenience and deemed rapport between your id with the vendors for the installation of your purchases.

For me 

ID cost 60k

Curtains 2k 

Lightings + kitchen stuffs + toilet stuffs 10k

Tv, fridge, washing machine 7k

Furniture 10k

Total 89k

I am broke...:~