Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi everyone, need a little advice from those who has already done their renovation!

We are currently overseas but because we are collecting keys next month and starting renovation end of the year (when we will be back for good) so we are starting to look for IDs / contractors.

I would like to ask, after your ID contact you and you send them your requirements / floorplan etc, how did your ID reply back to you all? Did they provide you with a quotation / their rough idea? Or you have to meet up with them to get the quotation / ideas? Is it possible to get quotation then if out of budget then choose not to meet them? Then if I want to schedule a meet up with them, usually what will the ID provide on the spot? They can come up with the quotation immediately?

Then for contractors, is it easier to just meet up with them directly, show them your ideas and ask for quotation? 

Sorry I have no experience so I don't know what replies to expect from them and how I should proceed after I send them the requirements.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

usually first meet up will be getting to know each other and ideas sharing and understanding your needs and requirements. 

the 2nd meet up will be fine tune some designs, items and so as well as presenting estimated quote and going thru w owners. For me, 2nd-3rd meet up i'll do up a visual sketch of the house to let owners able to visualise. 

I just finished meeting 7 IDs. Share experience with you. 

Contact them, set up meeting and send them floor plan or bring your floor plan down for them to make copy.

1st meeting they will discuss with you your requirement and budget, talk about ideas, theme and they will draw on the floor plan a proposed layout, subject to change as they will take some time to think about a better layout and design for you. At end of 1st meeting they set a 2nd meeting with us.

2nd meeting go through their floor plan design and quote, some showed us photo references, 3d model on computer or even 3d drawings. After that we compare design and quotes, and set up 3rd meeting with shortlisted designers to view the work in progress, see the carpentry workmanship.  After that decide and sign contract.

Didn't meet contractor so can't comment, but I rather pay more for ID, hopefully he can coordinate everything nicely no reno nightmare.

ID will usually ask you to go down to their office for discussion, contractors would prefer to go to your home. Both would take some time to revert their quotation back to you, some within 2 days, some would take up to 2 weeks.

I had spoke with both ID and contractors prior to my home renovation, and due to cost constrain, I engaged a contractor that was introduced by my colleague instead of ID. Even so, I am having heartache and trouble right now with the contractor I have selected.

From my painful experience, I felt irregardless of ID or contractor, what is most important is everything should be written in black and white. Before securing your ID or contractor, get a detail itemized quotation from them, compare not only the prices but also with what is break down in the quotation. Asks as many questions in the beginning as possible and whenever they agree to do a certain thing for you, make sure it will be reflected in the quotation, free or not.

Once you had confirmed with one of them, make sure they provide drawings, work schedule and attached them with a proper contract which I found on CASE (https://www.case.org.sg/pdf/model_renovation.pdf). This is what I had missed out with my home renovation, I regretted it so much right now and it really kills my joy of owning my first home. Hope you had a pleasant journey of finding your ID or contractor.