Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
giantslee

Linksys Velop Wi-Fi Mesh for Landed

Have anyone tried Linksys Velop Wi-Fi Mesh in a 3-Storey Landed without any LAN connection at all for the 2nd and 3rd nodes?

Wondering if I shld wire up with the whole house using Cat cables or can rely on the Linksys Velop Wi-Fi Mesh solution without wiring the whole house at all.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If you are doing a rebuild, then run the lan cables and buy enterprise grade WIFI access points. This will give a better performance compared to mesh networks. Depending on your house layout, you might be able to get away with using 2 APs (1 in attic and 1 in 2nd floor) to provide the coverage. If it's me, I would pull an additional 2 cables on 1st and 3rd floor just in case I need additional APs to provide the full coverage since you won't really know how good/bad the coverage is until you use it. 

And very importantly.. Determine yr AP location upfront so the LAN cable can be run there from day 1. Most older houses end up with AP in bedrooms due to existing LAN points location

Network engineer here. Running copper is always preferable if you have the means to do so. Pre plan your wiring, and allocate outlets for your access points at strategic locations in the roof.

AP placement is important. Most enterprise APs are designed for mounting with the flat face pointing down. Mounting them wrong will dramatically reduce your coverage range.

Remember that it takes two hands to clap. All the transmit power in the world  at the AP won't help if the other device cannot talk back - and an improperly placed AP is a surefire way to cause such a situation.

- No metal within 1 foot of the AP

- No glass within 1 foot of the AP

- Avoid RC walls. Metal rebar inside.

- Mount the AP high up, and point the face down 

=

I'd suggest using Ubiquiti UniFi APs if you can. They aren't cheap, but work really well for large residences. I had 3 installed for a friend in a 3000 sqft single floor apartment in Ardmore Park. Full signal coverage everywhere, even inside the toilet on the throne with the doors closed. This is a huge place mind you, with a lift shaft down the center. Lift shafts are nasty, being RC all round. For most landed properties, I'd say 1 per floor will suffice most times.

I'm also planning to use Ubiquiti APs for my new house. Dunno if should also use Ubiquiti POE switches as well or not to power the APs and IP cameras. 

Yup, I understand abt the different power requirements. Planning to do POE for IP cameras as well so have to think which is better in terms on cost and management by using back same brand switch or something else.