Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RenotalkCM

SHARE with us your worst Reno nightmares!!

On 11/13/2020 at 4:15 PM, Bo Chan said:

Have finally moved into my humble abode recently and decided to warn anyone here who is looking for renovation contractor because I had the worst experience. I am not revealing the company name here because my problem is quite unique and I think the Contractor himself can easily identify himself. So PM me if you want to have the details, I know it is an inconvenience but I seriously do not want to invite trouble since I'd be living alone and am powerless against someone with deep pocket like him. Yes, consumers are no longer the kings these days. HDB ought to do something about these errant contractors.

Hi, can pm me the contractor name? Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all, i had recently engaged Casa Interior Design for my resale 4 room flat. I went with the hacking package and abit of carpentary and it cost me 40k+ for a terrible experience. They hacked a number of holes thru my toliet wall and left behind a scar marking on the wall. Poor workmanship can be observe with damages to the original HDB carpentary. Their paintworks were terrible and i had to touchup on the whole house again due to the reckless work done. Uneven tiles and different color grout line can be seen clearly. They removed both my 2yrs system 3 and system 1 Mitsubishi aircon and intended to replace me with 10+ aircon unit. Overall a very bad experience with this ID company and all i can say is think twice before engaging them.

20210605_173511.jpg

20210605_173413.jpg

20210605_173319.jpg

Screenshot_20210605-173203_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210605-173049_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210605-172950_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210605-172943_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by Jasonyong
Post pictures for reference

• Thanks 1

• The ID I worked with has just two people (project managers) in their company. They engage various contractors for all the work done. So think of them as the main-con.

• Usually how it works is this: You either pay a project management fee and that is the price you pay for the convenience and they are then supposed to work in your interest to get the best rates for you, since they are already getting paid for that service. OR you don't pay a project management fee and they take a cut from the sub-contractors to earn. I understand that they have to make money too.

• In my case, my ID requested a project management fee of $15,000+ for the management and design of our home. (Context: The whole renovation project cost was over $100k and I stay in a private property.) Because of the fee, she said she would will not charge any mark-ups and will provide me with all the invoices. At first, she claimed it was not a practise to provide any invoices to clients. But I insisted for them. This rang some alarm bells but because they were a third-party recommendation, we still went ahead.

• Throughout our time working with her, we realised several contract amounts not tallying up, many promises to fix things always were "forgotten" and I'm not gonna go into detail but at this point, there were over 10 instances of dishonesty (that we just gave her the benefit of the doubt for) and it was getting hard to trust the things she was saying.

• We started to get suspicious when we requested for add-ons which required new quotes. I would request for 3 quotes but she always came back with just one. At first, I thought she was just lazy for always using the same expensive supplier because she didn't want to find more quotes for us and always said there was no one else.

How shady interior design firms operate in Singapore

• Our suspicions lead us to ask around and get the quotations ourselves and boy did we get a huge shock. For 3 separate additions (small issues like blinds/curtains/etc), our quotes were half the price as the quotes she was giving us.

• Turns out, one of the contractors we ended up getting the quote from was a current supplier of hers, who offered us a much lower rate. And he explained to us how her company operates, and how the ID + supplier industry works in general.

• He said they will approach the supplier and ask for the cost price that they will charge. Then, they will add their own cut to it between 20%-50% markup and ask the supplier to issue clients the invoice with the inflated amount. The more she thinks she can get away with it, the higher % she will add. Once she finds a supplier who is willing to do this with her, she will keep using that same supplier. Hence that guy giving better rates was not chosen.

• So any homeowner who receives the invoice will feel that it is legit, but actually, it is heavily inflated due to the special agreement between her and the supplier. The invoice is a clever ruse to trick homeowners.

• We ended up exceeding our renovation budget by about $30k with the provisional charges for things like electricity doubling from $10k to $20k.

• What makes us so angry is how she said she was going to charge an overall fee for project management ($15k+) so everything would be transparent. e.g same logic as hiring a main contractor. But all this while, she was getting under the table deals too, inflating the invoices and effectively charging us twice - one from the comms and one for her lump sum fee.

• Because she inflated the amount, instead of us getting our dream home we saved up years for, we had to do away with some features we really wanted because it was over our budget due to the extra money was going to her as under the table profit.

- - - and Design  -- took 100% renovation fees with the promise to complete the HDB renovation in 2 months is still unable to finish the work after 5 months and stopped responding as well .... worst ever renovation company I came across ...

Edited by balasing

Hi, need some advice. My HDB resale flat is currently under renovation and yesterday My ID informed me that during the hacking some of the tiles pop up and they will be charging us for the cement screed, is this very common??

8CE09DC4-923E-4E55-94D1-859A7039A157.jpeg

DEB8B018-A636-4629-8320-CA52EFC688E7.jpeg

Hi everyone pls beware of dis guy Gabriel Seng Joon Hian n his partner Jay Lee from Zenith Design Theory

They taken down their facebook page but are still scamming others simply search Gabriel Seng in reddit n read all the nightmares 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scamsg.com/company/201629247E/amp

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=545962471

https://www.facebook.com/gabriel.gagala

https://www.facebook.com/gabriel.seng.9

Screenshot_20210108_012414.jpg

Hi everyone  , pls beware engage this Golden bricks building contractor on dec 19  very  dishonest and very poor workmanship shop the person in charge Vincent Tan and finished on Jan 20 , before the last payment make to him , he did not took initiative to conduct a joint inspection with me only just sent me a invoice and want me to pay him through Paylah ,as a first time homeowner I really do not know that I need to do so before taking over premises , then after stay for a few months I found out tiles not properly lay with chips , hollow and cracks , kitchen cabinet not sitting flat on the plinth leaving a big gap and use cement to seal up and argue that is normal as compare to the BCA renovation standard, need to call him multiple times before he came down to see all this defects , in the end he is willing to give me some compensation .below are all the defects done at my place

9436BB13-FFCA-4BCD-A8A9-1CD525A958B0.jpeg

449411C6-1FC3-48FE-8E6B-1B4F9AA88E1F.jpeg

DBF9348F-C547-4312-AF0A-826B7550D890.jpeg

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my terrible experience with Sg Renovations Contractors Pte Ltd. Unbelievably, I don’t know how they got so many good reviews in Carousell (more than 100x5stars review). So I contacted her (Melissa) to get a paint job done for my place. 

Contract was supposedly painting of interior/exterior/roof. Time frame in contract was 2 weeks. They kept dragging and said needed more time and asked for more money (only part of the exterior was painted and badly done). For 1 week it wasn’t raining (my contractors were doing other work in the house can testify) they didn’t turn up. I can share the photos, they are far from finishing their job. On the 3rd week, they came to remove the scaffold, there is no way they can finish their job (3rd floor wall unpainted shown in pic).  Their paint is peeling off only within 2 weeks. Simple works like plastering to touch up the walls(Written in the contract) were not done and cracks were everywhere. Refer to pics below for reference. Kept asking for top up of $$, eg pay more for aircon ledge as they are not considered external walls, wooden fence only painted half (claiming need neighbour’s permission but we already got it). There’s still alot more but I’ll leave it as it is here. You can see from the pics below how much exterior works needs to be done 

By this time, I asked how much more time they needed to finish their job (as quoted by them “Left 1 corner wall and some ceiling and balcony ledge”) and they said needed 10 more days and subject to weather conditions and requested unreasonable demands to get their job done, basically to drag and wear our patience out. The interior of the house hasn’t even started any painting yet at this point.

For a contracted 2 weeks job, turned out to be badly done and multiple lies told to us by Melissa and her supervisor (who was also a hooligan, called me and my wife and started swearing because we asked why is their paint quality so bad, threatened to cancel our job). I think it’s a company that people should avoid.

Just sharing my experience so others can be informed. Hopefully I am just one of the unlucky ones to have experienced their bad service. I welcome them to write their perspective and I will reply objectively to their work. 

327C17D5-50B8-45FB-8B34-DED24F4BB257.jpeg

6E7BC8CA-B67E-43B4-9504-676176A0E0BA.jpeg

8956CF1C-E057-4E8E-B620-F3CBAB1D2A80.jpeg

29F71DE0-7562-4808-83E0-F4FF3967EA24.jpeg

46FB57E8-CB71-4DC0-B1CC-3BDD613DDAA3.jpeg

3C3A8FD1-948E-41FE-8E7A-BB6C18A78D3F.jpeg

FD01C8CC-6A3C-4B41-A841-6A3E8041AD2C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Have finally moved into my humble abode recently and decided to warn anyone here who is looking for renovation contractor because I had the worst experience. I am not revealing the company name here because my problem is quite unique and I think the Contractor himself can easily identify himself. So PM me if you want to have the details, I know it is an inconvenience but I seriously do not want to invite trouble since I'd be living alone and am powerless against someone with deep pocket like him. Yes, consumers are no longer the kings these days. HDB ought to do something about these errant contractors.

• Thanks 1

See my bathtub done by Absolook Interior Design. This is a landed property. I’ve never seen water pipes jutting out of bathtubs before and is very disappointed when I saw this! This is not only ugly (considering the huge sum of money spent), but also dangerous for my 3 kids who may shower in the bathtub. The hot water pipe may scald them. Honestly when we pay money to engage interior designers, we don’t expect this type of ‘design’. 

8B38598D-D206-430D-96D2-0F0A3A0BCC71.jpeg

• Thanks 1

** THIS COMPANY IS OWNED BY THE SAME PERSON OF DARJO GENERAL WORKS PTE LTD - RAYMOND KWOK / SAU KEUNG KWOK **
Kindly take note of these companies and persons. They took goods and failed to make payment! On research, there are bad reviews since year 2017! Metaltoronic Engineering Pte. Ltd. And Darjo General Works Pte. Ltd. And ksk success trading (pte. ltd.) and ksk 53351038d and chuenyung luxury pte. ltd. Person namely kwok sau keung / Raymond Kwok and his sister kwok sau lai contact numbers 91927266, 94813990, 85118331 home address 440c fernvale link #22-157 or company 511 guillemard road #01-61.

This company and owner Kwok Sau Keung is a conman!!! He planned & cheated suppliers and clients money hit and run!

To anyone who been in the same situation, pls all come together and file a report against him of cheating.