Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RenotalkCM

SHARE with us your worst Reno nightmares!!

1 hour ago, Hayden said:

My only comfort is knowing that there are so many bad experiences like ours that we can share in. That's a real shame that there is not a proper accreditation body for interior designers in Singapore and there is no quality benchmarks and proper training and ethics in this field... which you would think necessary, for an intimate job as handing someone's home. We reported our interior designer to the police for fraud and cheating and the police said they receive more than 100 calls a month regarding renovators alone. Our mistake was to put too much weight and value on the reviews, the "amazing photography" and the number of Facebook likes. Good reviews and likes can be bought.  Go by word of mouth. Do your homework thoroughly. Be suspicious if they haven't done a job for a while. Check in the CASE website for resources. Don't be afraid to spend time interviewing Ids and dropping those that seem "nice". They are doing a HUGE job for you!  I made a mistake to ignore some bad 2016-2017 reviews about Flipside Design (about their low quality renovation, i.e. doors fell apart, and rude communication, refusal to rectify renovation work) and hired them. I have too many dissatisfactions to list.  Their contract terms are vague from the start and did not include many of the recommended aspects of a good contract, as listed in CASE, such as clear timelines, and spaced out instalments. They had demanded full payment upfront, which CASE had indicated as a big red flag. Please go to CASE for some ideas on what makes a good renovation contract. Their design work was poor and unfinished, resembling a template of sorts, despite our repeated feedback.  Obviously, it was not only money gone down the drain for us, and lots of time and mental health spent chasing them. It was a horrifying experience and I would highly recommend that no one would use them. They are a terrible business in every way, and has no ethics whatsoever. 

Hope you can get it over soon and move on :good:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My only comfort is knowing that there are so many bad experiences like ours that we can share in. That's a real shame that there is not a proper accreditation body for interior designers in Singapore and there is no quality benchmarks and proper training and ethics in this field... which you would think necessary, for an intimate job as handing someone's home. We reported our interior designer to the police for fraud and cheating and the police said they receive more than 100 calls a month regarding renovators alone. Our mistake was to put too much weight and value on the reviews, the "amazing photography" and the number of Facebook likes. Good reviews and likes can be bought.  Go by word of mouth. Do your homework thoroughly. Be suspicious if they haven't done a job for a while. Check in the CASE website for resources. Don't be afraid to spend time interviewing Ids and dropping those that seem "nice". They are doing a HUGE job for you!  I made a mistake to ignore some bad 2016-2017 reviews about Flipside Design (about their low quality renovation, i.e. doors fell apart, and rude communication, refusal to rectify renovation work) and hired them. I have too many dissatisfactions to list.  Their contract terms are vague from the start and did not include many of the recommended aspects of a good contract, as listed in CASE, such as clear timelines, and spaced out instalments. They had demanded full payment upfront, which CASE had indicated as a big red flag. Please go to CASE for some ideas on what makes a good renovation contract. Their design work was poor and unfinished, resembling a template of sorts, despite our repeated feedback.  Obviously, it was not only money gone down the drain for us, and lots of time and mental health spent chasing them. It was a horrifying experience and I would highly recommend that no one would use them. They are a terrible business in every way, and has no ethics whatsoever. 

• Sad 1

My advice when choosing contractor which I learned the hard way. Google them to see if got bad reviews. Next check their physical office. If they do not have an office, raise red flag. How to look for them when there is dispute? The registered address in ACRA is only for service only. Think twice using a contractor who has no physical office. 

Please do  not ever use EightySeven Studio. They are the most  expensive company arou8nd and  they  100 %  money money money . In the end they will  cheat you  blind  Worst  experience of my life . WARNING USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ... 105k for 3 bed HDB in the end after 70+ initial quote

5 hours ago, ethansee87 said:

Engaged this ID alvin 90939959 of Allterra Design Pte Ltd  to do the renovation in July18. Beside some workmanship problem and delay, everything is ok and full payment is made. However 5 days ago, i received a letter from a showroom selling sanitary saying that all the WC,basin, tap and kitchen hob and hood used in my house is not paid. How can that be, i had paid full amount to the ID. I call up Alvin immediately and he said is misunderstanding and he will settle it. Yesterday a debt collector came to my house and wanted to know where is alvin. I call the police to safeguard my family and showed them the invoice and receipt which indicating that all payment is made at my point. He then infd that i am not the only victim. He is collecting debt for another 3 cases. In these cases the ID Alvin had ask for full payment from the house owner and he will settle all the expenses. This is crazy, another SCAM! Will be heading to make a cheating case report. Anyone get into this **** before? 

You are considered very lucky that had your house done up, it clearly shown that he did not troubling home owner beside his own finance's problem.

My advise is to wait for awhile for him to settle the sanitary himself since he left you a statement saying that he will settle it, no point wasting your time doing those report, for now.

Common or not, it is wrong and people need to be aware of it.husband and wife duo did not deliver as per contract and had lots of delays.They have been doing it for years and will still continue to do so if nothing is done. No one should go through this emotional frustration and losing their hard earned money.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:47 PM, Buns222 said:

Just for sharing!

COMPANY: RENOHUB, UEN: 53363614X

PREVIOUS COMPANY: S ILLUSION DESIGN & BUILD, UEN: 201421649G

PREVIOUS COMPANY: S. ILLUSION DESIGN PTE.LTD, UEN: 201310442D

ID: XXX, YYY

please contact me at bunsdance@gmail.com

We are aware that she has been serving her victims with legal letters as follow:

1. instalment plans to settle outstanding refund without any payment done through a law firm

2. threats of legal action on any communication on any public forums/social media on their wrong doings

3.  issuing bounce cheques/future dated TT Transfer

4. Continuously lying and empty promises to clear the debt 

5. Imcomplete works after receiving full payment

we have seeked legal advise and need all affected victims to come together to pursue legal action against them and ensure that justice is being served.

I'm sure you are equally affected by this matter emotionally and financially, do let me have your contact details and we can work together to ensure that they get what they deserve and not let others be affected/scam by them again.

I look forward from hearing from you on this.

More and more these scammer in Renovation/ ID trade, simple reason:

1. they learned from one another

2. the ID company recruit tons of new Blood every now and where, most 80% of them couldn't survived, part of them turned to be scammer like this, 20% of them retained, part of the genius continue working hard, and part of the genius also turned to be the smart scammer than this.

3. Police couldn't do anything to them and even organisation can't, the most disqualify them as a member

4. They could be suspended by HDB but yet they can "borrow" license from Back Source.

So, is better to check your ID back ground, and even their company & Bosses back ground before you signed the contract, because they can come back to you that their company policy doesn't allow this and that, and hey, is very common  :good: 

Edited by samkee
Names & photos removed to protect privacy

Very very bad experience with my ID. Company ruled by a bunch of inexperience ah bengs and ah lians who banged tables at me when he couldn’t convince us of his illogical thinking. Simple carpentary works took 2 months. And even after 2 months there are still multiple defects which they have been refusing to fix after one month of negotiations. Utter ridiculous. PM me if you want to be careful of such ID. Their office is located inside a pink building in Singapore.

Becareful of ID firm that provide cheap packages,

they will bait you with:

Cheap Package, free gift, free door gift, free 3D, last day sales, and they will promise you with life-time warranty, they are Castrust and nothing else can be trusted with RMCA logo.

1st meeting, you will feel nothing better then just to pay any amount of deposit to get into their Package contracts, follow by a discussion.

They will cut and paste free 3D for you to feel during the 2nd meet up, and a new Quotation that "requested by you"

the new quotation seems reasonably high, and you may want to reject them and ask for deposit return to you, but sorry they have already done 3D drawings and Package contract has to be continue since you have signed it, you will not be able to take back the deposit in anyway you are just one of the lots, the deposit to them is already enough to cover their "losses"

So you will have to just continue with them and your "sincere" sales person will let you feel that they were just doing their job, OK discount have been given and both couple are happy to continue with them.

Renovation carried out and everything seems on the track, another tactic is payment after one another, and 95% of everything you have will be collected by them for sure before everything has done.

You will then received a shocking "VO" because you "did" asked them to add quite alot of things along the way, example: Drill a pipe hole for $400, and they will really make you and your life partner High-Blood, end up settled with a Good-will discount of $200, not to mention the rest of the items.

End up: they will go through defect list one by one, and you're going to sign on it for full payment after they have done everything in the list.

Thinking to get your lawyer? They are protected by those association where you thought you should be the one being protected, after negotiation,  you will be advised not to write anything about the case on line or even to your family because you have agreed to settle outside court.

These ID film are normally had 30-60 salesman and you can see them everywhere in the newspaper or facebook etc,

the Boss are laughing behind these 30-60 salesman and hundreds of Home Owner, this is the way to do Renovation business nowaday, Copy this write up and forward to all your friends and family cause this type of scam has to be stopped immediately.

My Reno started on 18th June.

Reno scope includes: 

1) hacking of toilet and retiling, doing up a new toilet again 

2) redoing 2 bedrooms including extending the floors to the balcony, varnishing the floor and doing all carpentry  in the room. 

Till 24/7, things done were

1) toilet only retiling, glass partition done with defects like 2 tiles crack, glass panel chipped at the corner (ask the contractor to come down to rectify, he says Reno not 100% no defects.)

2) toilet door fixed (before things like cabinet, toilet bowl, basin goes in), toilet bowl and rain shower were put in after he put the toilet door in

3) windows done with poor quality without checking which quality we wanted 

4) floor varnishing done before painting works and wiring completed 

5) all the defects were told by us, he did not come down and check at all, only send his workers down to do work.

Told him to stop everything after doing the toilet portion. Called him to ask him to rectify the problems, he said reno not 100% without defects. Ask us not to be so picky and pick on all these when payment is due. After asking the contractor to stop the works, one day he told the workers to come down to rectify problem (as we refuse final payment without rectification, he just send email saying will be coming down without any time given) without our approval and knowledge enter the house. Called him just to check if he came down to fix as no one knows and saw the workers but the contractor sounds like a gangster and say: the workers enter through the main gate, what’s wrong? What do you want now? Call the police? 

Super terrible experience with the contractor. Glad we didn’t continue with his work. He quoted $10K for carpentry, found another carpenter charging only $6.2K and the quality is good! Thankful I didn’t proceed with the previous contractor as his workmanship is really bad! 

Currently going through delayed renovation with a forgetful, egoistic and emotional contractor, with massive attitude problems, giving us headaches in every single conversation.  I didn't do my due diligence checking on him via renotalk before selecting him. Turns out someone on renotalk did mention about his attitude problems of late. Now i want to do my part in providing this feedback so that no one else needs to go through this nightmare like us! 

ALAN TAN - AIAN Furniture & Renovation Contractor  

Based on feedback from 2012 - 2015 his quotes were quite competitive and he received decent reviews. But recent reviews has started showing that he is very forgetful and has attitude problems, and that his quotes are no longer as competitive. Details aside, he will always insist he is right and that due to his many years of experience, his way of doing things is the best, hence very close-minded to homeowners preferences. Once he is unhappy because you prefer certain features to be done your way, he will become hostile, arrogant, calculative, very forgetful on what was discussed earlier and emotionally threatening. He also prefers to have total control over the renovation, so that you don't get to have a say in the overall quality, design and outcome. 

I've even heard him multiple times complaining about his other projects to his sub-cons - " this home-owner so particular on fengshui now want this and that, just anyhow do for them la'. I was shocked to hear it because this shows that he only wants to execute based on his own preferences and conveniences, not with serving the interest of the homeowner in mind !  Someone else on renotalk did say that to be satisfied with his work, you've got to be a client who's very easygoing and perhaps ignorant about details. Thinking back, this is so true... 

For now, we still have to 'make him happy' and appease his attitudes in every single conversation so that the house renovation can be completed. Totally avoidable, just don't even consider the contractor mentioned above! Many other decent contractors to consider ! 

Edited by TCLW

My worst nightmare with Blank Canvas Contractor Pte Ltd (UEN: 201525372N)...

A simple renovation which can take about 4-6 weeks to complete it took them 4mths to complete it!

Made a deal with this guy name Praveen & Vinith. 14th Feb collected 1st payment....hacking job done on 22nd Mar.. took them more than 1mth to start the major work...

8th Apr 2nd payment made...wiring & plumbing work is not even done...only waterproofing & tiling done...

After the 2nd payment made, they called telling me that the cashier order I gave them bounce...in the end it's actually their management mistake for not updating the banks their updated company name..

**** starts after the 2nd payment...job being delayed...we are getting updates from their contractor Hassan (claimed that he have more than 30yrs experience in the renovation industry)...NO FOLLOW UP & UPDATES from both Praveen & Vinith...

Wiring took them more than 6 weeks to complete it..and their contractor keep asking us money for the job done when he should be getting it from Blank Canvas...

We check the house every single week & most of the times, there's no workers or job done...

And the most wonderful part is, whenever we  bring in the furniture that we ordered, the contractor will be around doing their job causing lots of inconvenience to us...

When we moved in on the first week of June, the kitchen was not even complete...in other words...no kitchen cabinet...no cooker...

We have not choice but to eat out or order in... more unnecessary additional cost....

They promised to complete the renovation by  end of April but only complete it on 14th June with both water heaters is not working....

After the last check on 22nd June Evening, our water heaters still not working yet  Praveen kept pressing us to make the final payment...

Please do not engage renovation service from Blank Canvas Renovation Pte Ltd...they have the worst staff named Praveen (very unprofessional & rude & irresponsible), Vinith (MIA & unresponsive most of the times) & their 3rd party contractor Hassan (keep asking us money & delaying the reno works)

I would like to share on the horrible after-sale service I had with Picket & Rail.

We purchased our wallpaper from them & had installation done by them in Jun/Jul 2015. About 1.5 year later, we found several parts of the wallpaper edges starting to curl n peel. As there was a 3 year warranty by them that covers peeling, we had called them up to get them to rectify. Their guy came to our house to assess and told us that the peeling is not severe enough to do any rectification and advised us to wait another year more for rectification since we have 1 more year left on the warranty. Now fast forward to a year later, we had inform Picket & Rail last month via their whatapps channel to get them to do the rectification on the peeling since our warranty is ending and was shock to hear that they will be charging us $50 for transportation. My hubby was peeved on hearing this as the first time they came last year, there wasn’t any transport fee charged before & their guy was the one who did not want to rectify the peeling and advised us to wait. We replied them that the charge was unreasonable and thereafter they did not bother to reply to my husband at all. Today we called them up and also wrote a whatapps message to them again and they finally replied us saying there is a term stated on the back of the invoice that there is a service charge of $120 per location for every servicing done under the warranty and they will not honour the warranty unless we pay $120. We find this very ridiculous. They are so inconsistent with their words & can change the charges as and when they like, initially said it was $50 and now it became $120! We were not told of these so called charges when we bought the wallpaper from them.

My wallpaper was only installed about a year and a half and already started to peel at the edges. So does that mean the company can actually do a lousy job of installing the wallpaper so that they can earn $120 whenever customers called up for repair under the warranty terms? That is really some good extra income! C’mon, we know times are bad, but don’t need to resort to such unscrupulous way of earning these kind of money. And our sofa, dining chair & window blinds are all purchased from Picket & Rail as well, so much for supporting this lousy company with lousy after-sale service.

So to those who are considering to purchase anything from them be it furniture or their window blinds, please think twice as u will have a lousy after-sale service after u have paid.

P/S : I will gladly provide screenshot proof of our whole conversation with the Picket & Rail customer service if anyone wants.