Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Thenash

Cost to rebuild a 2.5 storey house

Hmm, I was hoping I could do this ... but I gather it will be quite expensive and also more importantly, no assurance authorities will allow AFTER I buy...

Is it possible to call URA to ask them? Which department would it be? And how do you find the front road level of a place?

victoria-park-villas-model-home.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

haha, I've seen that photo before. for that development, the sides and back of the house are all "sealed" with earth with only the front exposed for the drive in garage. somehow the developer had asked the architects (I think 3 or 4 different firms for the entire development) to have the common design of this type of garage. however the original site was actually a small hill so they could get away with that. most important is that the approval was before the change in regulations.

you can call URA but I double anyone would give you an answer unless proper submissions was done which can only happen AFTER you buy.

as for road level, you need to engage a surveyor to perform a topo survey of the house and surroundings. of cos you could maybe call a surveyor to perform a survey of just the outside of the house to find the road level. not sure how much that would cost you though. another option is to see if the house owners still have the original plans. but if the house is very old, I doubt they would have the plans.

Two years ago, I restored my house in Goa, India. All the work cost me $5,000, but now my house looks like a mansion. The only problem I have is the processing of all documents. I had to contact a government company https://hrex.org/mahabhulekh-online-land-records for registration of all documents, since I don't know the local language and I only come here in winter. I was very surprised by the price tag for a complete renovation of the house, since in my hometown this amount would be ten times higher. Because of the poverty in the country, people still live there and work for pennies, unfortunately, but the country itself is beautiful and the people in it are very good-natured.

Does anyone know what's the cost of rebuilding in the current market conditions $400psf of built-in space? Are the contractors even taking in new projects? Scared of delays due to manpower issues ....

51 minutes ago, Topline said:

Does anyone know what's the cost of rebuilding in the current market conditions $400psf of built-in space? Are the contractors even taking in new projects? Scared of delays due to manpower issues ....

government is only covering cost of swab tests for personnel in the construction industry until 31 march 2021. it's not just the workers who need to be swabbed but anyone who goes to construction sites regularly needs to be swabbed. this means consultants, project managers, etc all need to do it. the cost of one swab test is about $200. each personnel needs to be swabbed every 14 days. assuming the main contractor has 20 workers, this would equate to an additional cost of $8k per month. if your project lasts for 12 months, this would equate to almost $100k which the developer would end up footing. add in the other sub contractors' workers and the cost will just snowball.

the other issue is the availability of raw materials. if other countries economy don't reopen and good can't be shipped to Singapore, the price of raw materials would definitely go up which will translate to higher construction cost.

manpower wise, as long as there's no new infections spreading in the workers dorms and the dorms don't get locked down, the workers can go to work. but the main contractor still have to ensure that safe distancing, etc are adhered to on the site. so if you have a 1600sqf inter terrace plot, and each team of workers need to adhere to 2m safety distance, how many workers can be on site at any one time? so the project would definitely get extended due to the limit of the number of workers who can be on site. eg: previously there can be say 20 or 30 workers on site at one time to do different things for 2 days. but because of the safe distancing requirement, the site can only have 10 to 15 workers on site. so the 2 days job could become a 4 days job instead.

hopefully a vaccine for COVID-19 can be found and approved for use soon

Seems like market condition manpower is very limited and materials are also not readily available, previously browsed thorugh this forum builders are roughly about $300 for build in area , $400 seems abit on the high side.

20 hours ago, snoozee said:

government is only covering cost of swab tests for personnel in the construction industry until 31 march 2021. it's not just the workers who need to be swabbed but anyone who goes to construction sites regularly needs to be swabbed. this means consultants, project managers, etc all need to do it. the cost of one swab test is about $200. each personnel needs to be swabbed every 14 days. assuming the main contractor has 20 workers, this would equate to an additional cost of $8k per month. if your project lasts for 12 months, this would equate to almost $100k which the developer would end up footing. add in the other sub contractors' workers and the cost will just snowball.

the other issue is the availability of raw materials. if other countries economy don't reopen and good can't be shipped to Singapore, the price of raw materials would definitely go up which will translate to higher construction cost.

manpower wise, as long as there's no new infections spreading in the workers dorms and the dorms don't get locked down, the workers can go to work. but the main contractor still have to ensure that safe distancing, etc are adhered to on the site. so if you have a 1600sqf inter terrace plot, and each team of workers need to adhere to 2m safety distance, how many workers can be on site at any one time? so the project would definitely get extended due to the limit of the number of workers who can be on site. eg: previously there can be say 20 or 30 workers on site at one time to do different things for 2 days. but because of the safe distancing requirement, the site can only have 10 to 15 workers on site. so the 2 days job could become a 4 days job instead.

hopefully a vaccine for COVID-19 can be found and approved for use soon

Thanks. Sounds like not a good time to reconstruct a house for a while... there are probably on-going projects getting delayed now and incurring unexpected costs.

3 hours ago, mamamiasimmy said:

Seems like market condition manpower is very limited and materials are also not readily available, previously browsed thorugh this forum builders are roughly about $300 for build in area , $400 seems abit on the high side.

many companies rely on the workers from our neighbour in the north who travel in and out everyday. with the lock downs and such, the workers can't commute in and out daily. the RGL requires the workers who are approved to come in to stay for at least 3 months before they can go back. the problem is finding accommodation for these workers. are the companies going to foot the accommodation bill for these workers? one of my subcon was relying on the workers who did not go back during the lock downs to perform all the jobs. the workers were lamenting that their workload had increased by almost 100 percent for them during these period as they had to cover for those workers who couldn't come back to SG. even though BCA had approved most (if not all) sites which had stopped during the CB to resume, I still don't see some landed housing sites near where i'm staying resuming work and most likely it is due to lack of manpower.

2 hours ago, Topline said:

Thanks. Sounds like not a good time to reconstruct a house for a while... there are probably on-going projects getting delayed now and incurring unexpected costs.

all projects that were paused during the CB would definitely be delayed. the question is how much delay there would be. my own project which was about 3 to 4 weeks shy of completion before CB has now stretched 10 weeks due to lack of manpower. add in the 8 weeks of CB and 1 week after entering phase 1 before we could resume work, the whole project has been delayed by almost 5 months and counting...

Hi I am looking at a corner terrace land size of 2500 sqft thereabt which needs tearing down and rebuilding. Ht restriction of the area is to 3 floors so assuming i shld be able to got to 3.5 floors.
I was quoted around $300psf for the rebuilding cost. Wanted to check a few things, for the total quotation on rebuild, should i multiply the 300psf by the Gross Floor Area or the Built Up area (i am guessing Built up shld be around 5000sqft while GFA is around 4400sqf)

Also, on $300psf, does this include
1) Marble flooring on 1st lvl
2) Motorised lift
3) Swimming pool (dug in with a length of 10-12m)
If not, what shld be a reasonable cost on PSF to include the above for rebuilding?

For those with swimming pools ard 10-12m length, is there any estimates on monthly water bills + electrical bills for the consumption of the pool? I understand maintenance comes up to around $150 per mth for pool and filter cleaning

Thanks in advance

Do check out the pool thread I started..

you'll have more info on pool costs there..

as for estimates, why not ask the builder for details?

much better and more accurate 

300psf would be more of very basic finishing like $3psf tiles selection. 
If need marble, expect to pay for it. My marble flooring cost me almost $40psf for supply, lay and polishing in total and I had gotten my marble tiles direct from a supplier at a very good price. 

lift will cost you anything from $50k and up. If you choose to do glass lift shaft, the cost will go up. Of cos one can get China lift for about $40k and have the RC lift shaft. 

24 minutes ago, snoozee said:

300psf would be more of very basic finishing like $3psf tiles selection. 
If need marble, expect to pay for it. My marble flooring cost me almost $40psf for supply, lay and polishing in total and I had gotten my marble tiles direct from a supplier at a very good price. 

lift will cost you anything from $50k and up. If you choose to do glass lift shaft, the cost will go up. Of cos one can get China lift for about $40k and have the RC lift shaft. 

Thanks Snoozee.

37 minutes ago, Landednewbie said:

Thanks.. just read your link

Do u have an estimate of how much electrical bills per mth the running of the pumps add up to?

The motors don’t really consume that much

when you get the specs I can tell you more

if it’s outdoors, even the water bills aren’t much

i only top up the water during the hottest months 

I even installed a counter current and along with six air cons and many other gear, my bill is under $250