Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
house88

Cost of renovating small roof terrace

Hi everyone, hope to get advice and info from here. I am looking at getting a 13 years old condo unit which comes with a roof terrace.  The roof terrace is about 500 square feet. However, I am thinking whether I should waterproof and retile it as it is no longer covered by warranty by original developer so as not to do messy rework if I do buy it and leakage occurs to below neighbour in future.  

I would like to ask has anyone with similar experience on how to go about finding a reliable contractor to do such work at what kind of price for 500 square feet roof terrace to redo waterproofing with normal homogenous tile and get the 10 years warranty for waterproofing. Thanks in advance. 

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 7/31/2017 at 11:50 AM, house88 said:

Hi everyone, hope to get advice and info from here. I am looking at getting a 13 years old condo unit which comes with a roof terrace.  The roof terrace is about 500 square feet. However, I am thinking whether I should waterproof and retile it as it is no longer covered by warranty by original developer so as not to do messy rework if I do buy it and leakage occurs to below neighbour in future.  

I would like to ask has anyone with similar experience on how to go about finding a reliable contractor to do such work at what kind of price for 500 square feet roof terrace to redo waterproofing with normal homogenous tile and get the 10 years warranty for waterproofing. Thanks in advance. 

Have you found your contractor alredy ?

On 8/24/2017 at 5:15 PM, RenoTalkForumBuddy2 said:

Have you found your contractor alredy ?

To leech off this thread, currently have a small interior cosy corner (10sqm) on 2nd level. No windows, dark even during day time. Any suggestions on how to let light in? Builder was suggesting to replace some of the roof tiles w transparent ones... seems odd. How bout using Sun Tunnels?

Any suggestions? Or recommendations? 

To make it truly cosy, hv to be bright and ventilated. Can consider a jack up roof. Similar to chinatown shophouses. Can google for the images

chinatown shophouse.

solar tubes will give a spotlight effect. Not really a cosy feeling. Skylight is bright but will be hot and UV rays will cause discolouration

1 hour ago, yoongf said:

To make it truly cosy, hv to be bright and ventilated. Can consider a jack up roof. Similar to chinatown shophouses. Can google for the images

chinatown shophouse.

solar tubes will give a spotlight effect. Not really a cosy feeling. Skylight is bright but will be hot and UV rays will cause discolouration

Thanks bro. But I'm trying my best not to do any major roof (and false ceiling) amendments. Am thinking of alternative such as putting glass, or changing the tiles ... etc. 

Not sure which is the easiest and most cost-effective ways. 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, galliano said:

Thanks bro. But I'm trying my best not to do any major roof (and false ceiling) amendments. Am thinking of alternative such as putting glass, or changing the tiles ... etc. 

Not sure which is the easiest and most cost-effective ways. 

just install a bright light bulb in the area. turn it on when you need light. turn it off when you do not. most cost effective way. :)

11 minutes ago, snoozee said:

just install a bright light bulb in the area. turn it on when you need light. turn it off when you do not. most cost effective way. :)

Hahah well thats true.

Now we exploring the use of transparent roof tiles for certain portion. 

Prismax_acrylic_roof_tiles-translucent_tiles_installed.jpg

10 hours ago, galliano said:

Hahah well thats true.

Now we exploring the use of transparent roof tiles for certain portion. 

Prismax_acrylic_roof_tiles-translucent_tiles_installed.jpg

this is the most common way which most home owners do. you will also get moonlight in at night if the moon is shining bright at night.